PDA

View Full Version : Steel support by Tomlin for Monte Kiffin

mesaSteeler
04-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Steel support by Tomlin for Monte Kiffin
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/apr/04/steel-support-by-tomlin-for-monte/?printer=1/

By Drew Edwards
Originally published 08:39 p.m., April 4, 2009
Updated 08:39 p.m., April 4, 2009

Less than two months removed from his team's victory in Super Bowl XLIII, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's phone has been ringing off the hook this offseason.

But when he got a call from Tennessee defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin asking him to be the keynote speaker for the Vols' coaching clinic, Tomlin didn't even blink.

"Working with that man, shoulder-to-shoulder for five years, man, had the experience of a lifetime. Grew big-time as a coach and as a person," Tomlin said Saturday before taking in the Vols' practice in Neyland Stadium. "I owe a big debt of gratitude to Monte. So when Monte picks up the phone and calls and asks me could I come, the answer's very easy. It's just simply about handling logistics and making sure I get here."

So Tomlin got up at 5 a.m. Saturday, boarded a plane and spoke to some 400 area coaches before getting an up-close view of the Vols' workout.

His messages to those coaches were simple - and had Monte Kiffin's fingerprints all over them.

"Fundamentals over scheme," said Tomlin, who was Kiffin's defensive backs coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2001-05. "That's one of the core lessons that I learned from Monte Kiffin. Monte gets a lot of recognition as the architect of Tampa 2 (defense). The thing people need to understand is it's not the schematics that makes that a great defense. It's the installation. It's the understanding. It's the teaching. It's the fundamentals that make it special.

"We focus on the how and the why as opposed to the what - X's and O's are X's and O's. You play with 11. How you get those 11 to work together, what's the degree of understanding of what you're asking them to do, not only as individuals but collectively, that's the common ties that bond great defenses. That's why we play great defense at Pittsburgh. That's why we played great defense at Tampa when I was with Monte. That's why they'll play great defense here in Knoxville."

And Tomlin sees plenty of success in the future for UT's new coaching staff.

"They'll do great," he said. "It starts with great people. They are great people. They've got a definitive plan. We in this profession, we always experience bumps along the way. I anticipate that that's going to happen to them. They will push through whatever obstacles are in their way. That's the kind of people they are, that's the kind of coaches they are. They're going to be singularly focused and they're not going to stop, even in the midst of success."

Tomlin knows that success won't change Kiffin, either.

"A lot of times people think about not riding the emotional roller coaster when you don't have success. The thing that makes Monte a cut above is his response to success is definitive," he said. "Spectacular games, great defensive performances - (he's) back in the lab. Monday is Monday. He's rebuilding it. He's laying a new foundation for the week. He never changes. That's what makes him special."

Drew Edwards covers University of Tennessee football. He may be reached at 865-342-6274.

Steelman16
04-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Yup, Tomlin is a winner. :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
04-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Tomlin is starting to earn alot of respect.

HometownGal
04-05-2009, 08:30 AM
There are so many great things about Coach T, but one of the traits I love most about him (other than his outstanding coaching abilities) is that he talks to people, not at them. He has a way with words that just draws a person in whether he is talking to his team, his coaches, other players and coaches in all levels of the sport or just the common Joe/Jane.

It is truly an honor to have him as the HC of our beloved Steelers - hopefully for the next 25 years, at least! :hatsoff::applaudit::tt03:

stillers4me
04-05-2009, 09:12 AM
There are so many great things about Coach T, but one of the traits I love most about him (other than his outstanding coaching abilities) is that he talks to people, not at them. He has a way with words that just draws a person in whether he is talking to his team, his coaches, other players and coaches in all levels of the sport or just the common Joe/Jane.

It is truly an honor to have him as the HC of our beloved Steelers - hopefully for the next 25 years, at least! :hatsoff::applaudit::tt03:

Me loves me some Mikey T. :applaudit:

wootawnee
04-05-2009, 11:13 AM
C Tizzle............Big ups bra........

The Duke
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Learned from the best, classy man, winning coach and kick ass glasses. What else can you ask for :tt03:

Honestly, who's a better HC than mike right now? only one I could have placed above him is dungy, and he's retired now

I see a coach of the year award coming....

Preacher
04-05-2009, 01:05 PM
How blessed are we to have a coaching succession of Knoll, Cowher, Tomlin?

Seriously. Maybe it is God paying us back for the first 40 years :chuckle:

scsteeler
04-10-2009, 03:47 PM

Yes and I am glad that Dad allowed son Art to make the decision on which coach we have or we would have Grimm as head coach, not that this would be a bad choice but I just think Tomlin was the better choice.