PDA

View Full Version : Mack to visit this week

KeiselPower99
04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
PITTSBURGH - Many draft prognosticators have California center Alex Mack headed to the Steelers with the 32nd pick and sometime this week, he is expected to pay the South Side practice facility a visit.

While a center usually doesn't garner attention as first round pick, Mack is thought to be a one of a kind player who will suit up for many years in the league, a can't miss guy if available.

At 6'4-1/4" and 307 pounds, he is arguably the best center available since the Jets selected Pro Bowler Nick Mangold in the 2006 draft. He also plays with a Steeler type of mentality; very physical with a lot of grit and determination.

Considering the Steelers track record of taking the best available athlete lately in the draft, it would come as no surprise if they took him. Mack could be groomed as a replacement for Justin Hartwig. (The only other center currently on the roster other than Hartwig is Doug Legursky a first year man from Marshall)

He is also versatile and until Hartwig's days are over behind center, he could play the right guard slot a position he played at the Senior Bowl.

As a player, Mack was selected a first-team All-American by Rivals.com in 2008 and also chosen a second-team All-American by Walter Camp and the Sporting News and a third-team All-American by the Associated Press.

He also won the Morris Trophy as the best offensive lineman in the Pac-10 (as voted by Pac-10 defensive linemen) for the second year in a row, just the third player to receive the award twice.

Known for being aggressive against defensive lineman and linebackers, he led the Bears in pancake blocks and knockdowns.

While it seems he has a lot of upside to him, this quote is something that scares me. It comes from NFL Draft Dog.

“He is not great in short yardage situations and can sometimes be overpowered. Big, strong tackles will rock or push him back. He needs some work with a pro line coach to perfect his technique and help eliminate old habits.”

But NFLDRAFTDOG also says he is not only the best center available in the 2009 draft, but also the top interior lineman.

Mack is also smart, and compiled a 3.61 undergraduate GPA at the University of California, Berkeley as legal studies major. Last year, he won the Draddy Trophy, which is known as the "academic Heisman"

At Cal's pro day, where 50 scouts and coaches watched Mack, ran a 5.17 and 5.23 in the 40-yard dash, had a 28-1/2" vertical, an 8'10" broad jump, 4.75 short shuttle, 7.31 cone drill, and benched 225 pounds 20 times

Analysis
Positives: Tall, athletic center with large biceps and a solid lower body build. Puts in full effort on every play, often getting downfield for a second or third block. Nimble enough to get in front of screens, trap block inside and eliminate linebackers at the second level. Keeps his legs moving once making contact with his target, often putting his man on the ground in the process. Gets under the pads of taller tackles, able to push them back 5-7 yards. Creates huge holes on combination blocks inside. Adept at regular and shotgun snaps, getting his hands up quickly afterwards. Despite his size, he can quickly get low to cut block and will continue to work after the initial contact. Leader of the line.

Negatives: Plays a bit high at times, occasionally losing leverage or getting pushed back against wide-bodies. Does not play with a particularly wide base. Will lean forward too much when in space, losing his ability to sustain the block and allowing defenders to get him off balance. Sometimes misses his target in space. Lacks a great push in short-yardage situations. Needs quicker feet and lateral movement in pass protection to handle quick, penetrating three-technique tackles and adjust to blitzing linebackers inside.

RJC
04-05-2009, 12:18 PM
link????

Preacher
04-05-2009, 12:28 PM
From what we already have on the line. . . and what we need. . . I say if he is available with the last pick of round 1, we grab him. . . or trade down to a high two and maybe a high three for a low three, and hope he is still there are the middle-high two spot.

St33lersguy
04-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I want Mack

triphahn
04-05-2009, 03:42 PM
I think he is our pick unless one of the top defensive players happens to drop to 32 like Jackson, V. Davis or maybe Laurinitis.

St33lersguy
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
I think he is our pick unless one of the top defensive players happens to drop to 32 like Jackson, V. Davis or maybe Laurinitis.

Or someone takes Mack before the Steelers are on the clock

Galax Steeler
04-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I would love to see this guy in black and gold.

triphahn
04-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Or someone takes Mack before the Steelers are on the clock

True. I think Denver is going to address there quarterback need this year and the first round is in for some draft day trades. No telling who's going to be around at 32.

KeiselPower99
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
If Mack is gone at 32 then I see Wood in the 2nd or Shipley in the 4th.

Havik
04-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I hope Mack falls to pick 32. Justin Hartwig really sucks.

Steelman16
04-05-2009, 10:58 PM
I hope Mack falls to pick 32. Justin Hartwig really sucks.

Actually, Hartwig was our best lineman last year...

But yeah, if Mack is available, I would have no qualms with him being our choice at #32. :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Actually, Hartwig was our best lineman last year...

But yeah, if Mack is available, I would have no qualms with him being our choice at #32. :thumbsup:

That is so true!!

Only thing is that I hope we get an OT in the 1st round like Beatty or Britton. This practice of paying Max Starks $7 and $8million a season has to stop. :banging:

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
If Mack comes in and he's there at 32, we take him. I'm sure of that...

Then again, as it has been pointed out, there is the possibility of some really talented guys falling to us, so...

But Mack at 32 seems extremely possible now...I know he's been projected in Rd 2, but at #32, we practically ARE Rd 2...

triphahn
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
If Mack is gone at 32 then I see Wood in the 2nd or Shipley in the 4th.

Yeah it does seem they are taking a look at the available centers and problably will take one of them.

SunshineMan21
04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
The guys id like at the 32nd pick are in order of most to least are

1) Alex Mack
2) Jarron Gilbert
3) Fili Moala
4) Eben Britton
5) William Beatty

Im pretty sure a couple of them are left on the board when it's our turn to pick, Hopefully Mack :grin:

I don't know . . . I like Moala a lot, but he's being projected as a second-round pick. We shouldn't reach for a player who isn't an O-linemen (and, IMO, we really shouldn't even have to reach for an O-lineman. Someone will fall to us).

My ideal draft has Oher dropping to us, but that may be a long shot. In any case, I think we go BPA O-line in the first round. There are guys like Moala, Loadholt, Meredith, Wood, and Shipley available in later rounds, so we'll have opportunities to address whatever position our first round pick doesn't play later in the draft.

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I don't think the Steelers will reach. They proved that last year.

They'll have their guys targeted at 32, BUT IMO if someone they have projected 1st Rd (like a Laurinaitis) falls to them I could totally see them scrapping their plans for, say a Mack, picking Lil Animal, and falling back on plan B which is a C or G in Rd 3-4.

I'm positive that's what they did last year, too...

triphahn
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't know . . . I like Moala a lot, but he's being projected as a second-round pick. We shouldn't reach for a player who isn't an O-linemen (and, IMO, we really shouldn't even have to reach for an O-lineman. Someone will fall to us).

My ideal draft has Oher dropping to us, but that may be a long shot. In any case, I think we go BPA O-line in the first round. There are guys like Moala, Loadholt, Meredith, Wood, and Shipley available in later rounds, so we'll have opportunities to address whatever position our first round pick doesn't play later in the draft.

Oher has been all over draft boards and its not likely but possible:helmet: