PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers have killed more people than any other franchise in the NFL

SteelersMongol
04-06-2009, 12:13 AM
A bizarre piece from USA Today regarding death rates and the effect winning and losing Super Bowls has on the cities that are involved. From my understanding of the research, the Steelers have killed more people than any other franchise in the NFL. :chuckle: Add it to the mantle.

The term 'die-hard' fan takes on new meaning

Losing a big game may be more than heart-breaking, it may be fatal, especially for die-hard fans.

The evidence lies in a new analysis of post-game deaths logged in Los Angeles County when the Los Angeles Rams lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1980 and when the Los Angeles Raiders defeated the Washington Redskins in 1984.

The researchers compared several different death rates for two weeks following the 1980 Super Bowl. They found that the daily total death rate was markedly higher following the Super Bowl loss, at 2.4 deaths per 100,000 versus 2.0 per 100,000 on all other days in examined in the study. Death rates were also higher for circulatory deaths, cardiovascular deaths and heart attacks.

In contrast, winning a Super Bowl was linked with a reduction in deaths, Robert Kloner of the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California told the American College of Cardiology meeting in Orlando. "We concluded that the emotional stress of loss, can trigger an increase of total and cardiovascular deaths."

His advice to football fans, especially those with a known risk of heart disease? Relax.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/betterlife/2009/03/the-term-die-ha.html

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/30/815360/btsc-steelers-daily-six-pa

:champs: :wantsome: :ak47: :injured: :tombstone:

Wonder how many Seachickens have actually died because of us. :chuckle:

Steel-Bryan
04-06-2009, 12:21 AM
lolol nice :tt:

devilsdancefloor
04-06-2009, 12:46 AM
:champs: :wantsome: :ak47: :injured: :tombstone: Wonder how many Seachickens have actually died because of us. :chuckle:

Not enough

trauben
04-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I know I cried like a baby after XXX's loss.

Galax Steeler
04-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I guess some people just can't handle a loss.

BlastFurnace
04-06-2009, 09:10 AM
The Steelers just about killed me after the 1994 Championship Game loss to San Diego.

That was the hardest loss I have ever took as a fan of any of my teams.

Lambertfan
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I was there at the San Diego game rainey and foggy..weird weather jor January B 94 was set up at one of the gates before the game Bubba was in fine form.. I remember a girl in a bikini top dancing to a polka there probably Steeler polka...it was a great time before the game.till the last play...my brother had come top the game and I can remember him jsut sitting in his seat for the longest time..To know victory you have to know defeat..I remember the early 80's playoff game with San Diego which we lost that was a heart breaker. then there was the Greatest defense ever 76 and with Rocky and Franco out we lost I remember beer and tears on the way home from watching it at my uncle's home!!! we are due some big wins!!!

Lambertfan
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I was there at the San Diego game rainey and foggy..weird weather jor January B 94 was set up at one of the gates before the game Bubba was in fine form.. I remember a girl in a bikini top dancing to a polka there probably Steeler polka...it was a great time before the game.till the last play...my brother had come top the game and I can remember him just sitting in his seat for the longest time..To know victory you have to know defeat..I remember the early 80's playoff game with San Diego which we lost that was a heart breaker. then there was the Greatest defense ever 76 and with Rocky and Franco out we lost I remember beer and tears on the way home from watching it at my uncle's home!!! we are due some big wins!!!

Hammer67
04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Some people need to add some more interests to their lives, me thinks. This is quite sad.

CPanther95
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
How long until we can get an NFC franchise in France?

lilyoder6
04-06-2009, 12:09 PM
haha thats funny...at least we on top in another category.. lol

fansince'76
04-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Anyone remember the guy who wound up in the hospital with a heart attack after the Bus fumbled against Indy and Ben saved the win with a shoestring tackle in that divisional game a few years back? I hope he survived XLIII.

steelreserve
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Wonder how many Seachickens have actually died because of us. :chuckle:

I don't think it's possible to whine yourself to death. Otherwise that whole city would be a ghost town.