PDA

View Full Version : Steelers host draft prospects Mack, Johnson

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Steelers host draft prospects Mack, Johnson
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 6, 2009

California center Alex Mack and LSU guard Herman Johnson visited the Steelers today, bringing the number of draft-eligible prospects brought in by the team to 10.

Mack is considered the top center available in the draft and a potential first-round selection. The Steelers have the final pick in the first round.

Johnson, who measured 6-7 1/8 and 356 pounds last month at LSU's Pro Day, is the largest player available in this year's draft.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_619450.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Please no Herman Johnson...........PLEASE!!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Please no Herman Johnson...........PLEASE!!!!!

Agreed...no mobility at all....no thank you.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2009, 01:40 PM

I cant figure out where he would play?? At guard he doesnt bend well at the knees to get under defenders and isnt mobile enough to pull well. At RT, he got beat badly by speed rushers in the week of Senior Bowl.

I think Trevor canfield of Cinci is a much better fit for the Steelers than Johnson.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I cant figure out where he would play?? At guard he doesnt bend well at the knees to get under defenders and isnt mobile enough to pull well. At RT, he got beat badly by speed rushers in the week of Senior Bowl.

I think Trevor canfield of Cinci is a much better fit for the Steelers than Johnson.

I also like Urbik and Vasquez better than Johnson.

Steely McSmash
04-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Him and Loadholt are definitely in the groad grader category. I'd presonally prefer the line to have some more athletecism.

SunshineMan21
04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I've heard Loadholt is much more mobile than Johnson.

Steely McSmash
04-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I've heard Loadholt is much more mobile than Johnson.

Agreed but for a tackle he's preceived as a RT only type due to his relatively slow feet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Agreed but for a tackle he's preceived as a RT only type due to his relatively slow feet.

Not entirely true. At RT you want to put your more powerful inline blockers and Loadholt is definately that. He played LT in college and was a good basketball player in highschool and an all state discus thrower.......he is a good athlete, but you dont move 6'7"-330lbs that easily.

Loadholt shows decent enough feet and very long arms to be an effective pass protector, but he isnt the "dancing bear" that you want as a premier LT. Jamon Meridith on the other hand is extremely agile, but not solid enough to protect against a bull rush, so he will either be a guard or a RT in a zone block system.

Loadholt is much better than Herman Johnson. IMO, Johnson is a 5th rounder or later, where Loadholt probably goes in the 2nd.

SunshineMan21
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure Loadholt can play LT, but even if he's exclusively a mauler at RT, he still has solid 2nd/3rd round value.

Especially considering (IMO) that Willie Colon is a much worse RT than Starks is a LT.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM

What do you think of TJ Lang?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
What do you think of TJ Lang?

I like him in the 4th or 5th. He could be that compensatory pick. He is athletic, good size, but has the short arms that should push him inside to guard. Apparantly at his pro day he weighed in at 6'4"-313lbs and benched 30 reps.

I think he looks a bit thin in the lower body, but he looks to stop the bull rush well and plays with a nasty streak. He's almost so athletic that he belongs in a zone block team, but he is strong enough to play in any scheme. I only question his level of competition, but like him better than Greg Islinger of WVU, but not better than Vasquez, Canfield, Feinga.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I like him in the 4th or 5th. He could be that compensatory pick. He is athletic, good size, but has the short arms that should push him inside to guard. Apparantly at his pro day he weighed in at 6'4"-313lbs and benched 30 reps.

I think he looks a bit thin in the lower body, but he looks to stop the bull rush well and plays with a nasty streak. He's almost so athletic that he belongs in a zone block team, but he is strong enough to play in any scheme. I only question his level of competition, but like him better than Greg Islinger of WVU, but not better than Vasquez, Canfield, Feinga.

5th round would be just about right. I think we pick up two linemen this year. One will be on the first day in the 1st or 2nd and the second either in the 4th or 5th.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
5th round would be just about right. I think we pick up two linemen this year. One will be on the first day in the 1st or 2nd and the second either in the 4th or 5th.

I think it depends on who is signed long term. If Starks cant be extended, I think they look at the reality that he and Hartwig will probably be gone next season and need to draft 2 O linemen in the first 4 rounds.

If all they do is draft a guy like Loadholt in the 2nd and a 5th round interior lineman, then they leave the 2010 O line class pretty thin. I think it could be more like 3 O linemen out of those 9 picks. Even if one is a 7th round project, I still think they should make the other 2 more of a priority than a 2nd and a 5th rounder. Even if they went with Tupou in the 3rd and Vasquez in the 4th I would be reasonably pleased.