PDA

View Full Version : Mark Madden 4/6/09

BubbyBrister
04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
On Mark Madden today, so take it for what it's worth, but interesting nonetheless.

Said that he was told by a reputable source (take that for what its worth):

1) Steelers have 0 interest in resigning James Harrison due to behavior off the field, age, overachieving and being a product of the system saying that they feel they can slide woodley over and be just fine. He also said that they would not franchise him.

2) Not as shocking: Steelers looking to anoint R. Mendenhall as #1 back by mid-season.

As I said, could be complete crap, but first time most of us have heard anything in this regard I'm sure. Just throwing it out there for discussion, I know that a lot of ppl on this board don't think very highly of him, and that's fine. Just putting out there for others to do with what they choose.

steelreserve
04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Wouldn't surprise me about Harrison. Can anyone even remember how many times we've let go of a "franchise" linebacker in his 30s and been just fine afterward? As I've said before, Harrison has NO leverage in this situation.

As for Mendenhall, I'd love to see more of him. But the staff seems to have such a stubborn insistence on a backfield consisting of Parker only, on every play, that I'll believe it when I see it.

rbryan
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
No one from the organization would put quite the same spin on it as that douchebag Madden, but I can see that being the midset of the FO in principle. No way Harrison is worth the kind of big money contract that he's looking for.

Letting him walk next year to go get that $ may be the way the Steelers plan on paying him back....so to speak. I think it would be the right thing to do. Not to mention I don't think he's worth the one year tender to franchise him.

ShutDown24
04-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Believe it or not but from people I know I've heard quite a few times that the Steelers wanted Mendenhall to be the starter by the end of last season. I really like Willie, but I feel that we do come out of this year with Mendy as the feature back.

The Harrison deal I feel Madden is completely wrong on. From my understanding, it seems like the Steelers have already been trying to get a deal done... So why would they change their minds now? It makes sense on the surface, but I don't see them not even trying as he states.

Remember that Mark madden is also the guy who has claimed he has a "secret" video proving that the immaculate reception didn't happen, said over and over and over again a couple years ago that the Penguins would be the next franchise in Pittsburgh sports, not the Steelers to win a title. And has been fired from countless jobs (Really, I can't even count them). He came from WWE, and he fit the job well. Because he's just as fake as it is.

BubbyBrister
04-06-2009, 03:32 PM
agreed shutdown.

I'm aware of Madden's "illustrious" career, and all the skepticism that you need to listen to everything he says with, just sharing with the others. It is a different spin on the situation when 99.9% of other media shows/outlets say 'the deal will get done somehow no matter what'

Hammer67
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Madden is an entertainer that sells "tickets" by being edgy and extreme. If you look at it just like that, then there you go.

Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. I do know that if a player or coach doesn't want to be on his show, he berates them endlessly. Hines, Bettis and Franco all being prime examples.

Preacher
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
This is the typical -- let me throw a bunch of stuff out there... and if I get SOMETHING right, I will trumpet it for years!

He has no clue what he is saying. He hates the Steelers. You should have seen the video of him talking about the immaculate reception. Venom and hatred was simply pouring off him.

I take him with a VERY SMALL grain of salt.

Sharkissle29
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
ill believe it when i see it...ill leave it at that

triphahn
I would not be suprised about Harrison. We have all seen the steelers allow players in this situation to move. As for Mendenhall we did not use a first round pick on him to sit on the bench. It's a matter of when not if.

Steelman16
The first one makes no sense. Of course the Steelers are interested in resigning him, (who wouldn't want to resign the DMVP???) they just don't want to break the bank on a late-bloomer that might not be even starting in a few years.

Madden just spews stuff. Half the time he doesn't even know what he's talking about -- or at least he doesn't try to be educated.

Anybody with an extra braincell could probably figure out the second one.

:noidea:

rbryan
04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
You would think he would have made enough money along the way to get his teeth fixed......or at least cleaned.

Dude is nasty

BubbyBrister
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
You would think he would have made enough money along the way to get his teeth fixed......or at least cleaned.

Dude is nasty

Yeah, the guy does have the perfect face for radio.

steelerdave1969
04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
On Mark Madden today, so take it for what it's worth, but interesting nonetheless.

1) Steelers have 0 interest in resigning James Harrison due to behavior off the field, age, overachieving and being a product of the system saying that they feel they can slide woodley over and be just fine. He also said that they would not franchise him.

2) Not as shocking: Steelers looking to anoint R. Mendenhall as #1 back by mid-season.

As I said, could be complete crap, but first time most of us have heard anything in this regard I'm sure. Just throwing it out there for discussion, I know that a lot of ppl on this board don't think very highly of him, and that's fine. Just putting out there for others to do with what they choose.

It wouldnt suprise me with either of these stories either. I think that the Steelers are playing it smart with Harrison myself because of his age. I know that he hasnt played or started for that many seasons and doesnt have a lot of wear n tear on his body, but his age has got to be a big question for them. As far as Willie Parker, I hope that whoever the starting RB is for the Steelers it is known before the middle of the '09 season. I love Willie and all, but it just seems like sometimes he doesnt hit the hole like he should, and I know that I saw Mendenhall do it on occasion, but improvement for him will come with reps.

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Harrison? Nah, they'll sgn him. He's in his peak and is a young 30.

Mendy? Definitely...I still think the Steelers may dangle Parker as bait to move up...

Preacher
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Harrison? Nah, they'll sgn him. He's in his peak and is a young 30.

Mendy? Definitely...I still think the Steelers may dangle Parker as bait to move up...

Wouldn't be surprising. With the help we need on the front line. To move up in teh second round to a mid or high level pick would be great.

Parker wouldn't get a first rounder, because of his injuries last year. BUt I think he still may be worth a move over half the pack in the second. Heck, we could give up a third a second, Parker, and our first to move up into the middle of the first and second. Only thing is, I think there will be talent available for the line at the bottom of the first, top of the second.

Hapa
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I think he just makes shit up to get views

Dino 6 Rings
04-06-2009, 06:54 PM

I will happily SECOND this opinion.

BlastFurnace
04-06-2009, 07:44 PM

I believe if #1 was the case, we would be getting more bark out of Harrison's agent. I'm not sure if we will sign Harrison or not. I do believe that...as Kevin Greene did for Greg Lloyd...Harrison's presence makes Woodley a much better player. IMO, if there ever was a Steelers player over 30 worth the gamble of a big payday...it's Harrison.

Mendenhall may be the #1 back, but there is a need for a 1A in this backfield and a 1B because of the injuries that will inevitably happen to either 1 or 1A. Trading Parker this season would make no sense. Keep him around and try to make a run for it with our best players. Next year's FA hell will be here before we know it. Let's not hurry it along.

msafford
04-06-2009, 07:45 PM

you mean like Tim Lumber, Ratbird blogger extraodinaire?:chuckle:

Steely McSmash
04-06-2009, 08:06 PM
He's a moron

KeiselPower99
04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Is he the same douche that was fired from WCW back in the 90s?

bigjamesharrison2
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
From what I've heard, the Steelers are interested in re-signing harrison. If he asks for an over the top salary, they will most likely let him walk, but I don't think that will happen, because he wants to play for the Steelers. As for Mendenhall and Parker, I could see them becoming a wicked duo. Willie with the speed and Mendenhall with the power.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Before this gig he was a professional wrestling announcer. That is where he really got his fame. IMHO, he's a hack. I would never call into his show due to his absolute rudeness.

I don't know why anyone would listen to this ass. I listened to him a few times on ESPN Radio and I was never impressed.

And with the things he has said about the Steelers, I don't see anyone within the organization giving him information other than to go shove a stick up his anus.

LVSteelersfan
04-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Anyone named Madden hates the Steelers. I wouldn't listen to those two hacks in a million years. It irritates me to no end that they put John Madden on a Super Bowl that has the Steelers playing. He starts conspiracy theories every time.

paw-n-maul-u
04-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Anyone named Madden hates the Steelers. I wouldn't listen to those two hacks in a million years. It irritates me to no end that they put John Madden on a Super Bowl that has the Steelers playing. He starts conspiracy theories every time.

Agreed. The shame is, Mark Madden could actually do some good reporting if he didn't make everything he said so polarizing and/or sound unreliable.

that other bumbling fool is beyond help. John Madden is painful to watch.

I'm hoping mendenhall proves us all right. He has some lofty expectations to fill if it is indeed true that he is expected to be the primary back by the end of the year.

the RB's are set, unless the steelers take a flyer in rd's 5-7 to push russell for a spot.

I feel like most of what I have heard on Harrison has been the opposite. It seems like alot of the talking head analysts are saying it is more or less bumps in the road. Although, they came out and said he was their priority. and there has been a lot of activity in between then and now. I hope Harrison is back ... it's not unreasonable to say that he could play for another 3-4 years or more at this same level. I mean I can imagine he won't ALWAYS win DPOY, or even ever again .... but I don't invision him dipping below single digits in sacks any time soon either. Esp. with woodley on the other side now.

I think the only true part of that statement is that the steelers won't franchise him. He still has another year left. Has to play, and it would be his contract year. At the very least (baring injuries), steelers get one more year of beast OLB play. At the best, they extend him another 3-4 with a decent sign bonus and some incentive bonuses to protect their arse incase of a huge dip in production. I honestly feel Timmons is going to bust on the scene this year and this time next year we are goign to be giddy over a Harrison, Woodley, Timmons and someone else LB core

WeegiesWarriors
04-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Mark Madden is still alive?

I echo what others have said... the Steeler organization has been saying the exact opposite and that they are diligently working on a deal. That was not being said when Faneca was throwing his tirade. I wouldn't say that the Steelers spew nothing but truth, but it would be a stretch to think they are publicly lying this bad... more likely they wouldn't be saying anything publicly

BubbyBrister
04-07-2009, 06:39 AM
I don't know why anyone would listen to this ass. I listened to him a few times on ESPN Radio and I was never impressed.

For the most part, he is an idiot. However, I'll admit that I do listen to him for 2 main reasons:
1) I'd rather listen to sports talk over the same 15 song rotation on most of the radio stations around here. I'll listen to ESPN1250, but they don't always talk about Pittsburgh.

2) He actually is very knowledgeable about hockey and the Penguins. He tends to not just randomly spout crap about those topics.

trauben
04-07-2009, 07:00 AM
I can't stand Madden. I hate that they put him on DVE on my drive home! He infuriates me to no end. If this is true however, then there's more going on then we hear in the news. I didn't like it when they let Kevin Green go and he had another ProBowl year left in the tanks, but we survived. I didn't like it when they let JPeezy go and he went on to have another ProBowl year as well, but we survived again (and nicely with the #1 D and another ring). So I trust in the machinery that has been working for us over the years.

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Again, revisting the REASONS why Parker could be attractive trade bait:

He's still an effective RB. In '06 and '07 he actually averaged over 4 YPC, caught 31 and 23 passes respectively, and was the leagues leading rusher before he got hurt. He's a proven commodity, and after Moreno and Wells, there's a big drop off in RB's. If those guys go fast, and another team in front of us is looking at RB, we should explore our options.

We have Moore and Mendenhall for a 1-2 punch and Russell for short yardage. We also have Davis who can play in a pinch, and a couple other RB's signed. There is depth at the position.

I'm not saying it will happen, in fact, it very well may not. Are there THREE teams drfating ahead of us looking at RB? Lot's of questions, but I originally just tossed this out there to be bold, and I'm gonna run with the idea just to be different...

HometownGal
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Mark Madden is an oversized buffoon with the class of a brussel sprout. After I told him what I thought of him on air a few years back, I haven't tuned into him since.

Separated at birth:

http://site.steelcityauctions.com/madden.jpg

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7927192994/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/08/Fat_bastard_1_.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Hasn't he been banned from this site ?

Pretty sure there was a collective "Keep all mention of MM off this forum" Crack down last summer.

I ban HIM!

trauben
04-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Mark Madden is an oversized buffoon with the class of a brussel sprout. After I told him what I thought of him on air a few years back, I haven't tuned into him since.http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7927192994/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/08/Fat_bastard_1_.jpg
I keep forgetting his on DVE now and I'm a channel flipper. I cringe each time my finger accidentally hits his station.

Pretty sure there was a collective "Keep all mention of MM off this forum" Crack down last summer.

I ban HIM!
Really? Cool. I know he's been banned off of other Steeler sites as well. :thmbup:

BlastFurnace
04-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I keep forgetting his on DVE now and I'm a channel flipper. I cringe each time my finger accidentally hits his station.

Really? Cool. I know he's been banned off of other Steeler sites as well. :thmbup:

That picture is disturbing.

BubbyBrister
04-08-2009, 08:39 AM

I ban HIM!

Meh, my bad then. Feel free to have mods delete the thread or whatever if its that big of a deal, I don't remember discussion on him being banned. Perhaps i wasn't around then, oh well.

steel_town
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
if he gets a contract look for it to be 2 years, MAYBE 3 but that's stretching it

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
There's a decent chance that he's not only viewed this site, he may actually have posted here a time or two. He used to be a regular at SN, and this site has quite a bit of cross-traffic.

Indo
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Madden...

You're a Douche.

Get the F*ck off this Board!

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I actually think he enjoys that kind of thing...he's like the Hulk. He feeds off of anger...

4xSBChamps
04-11-2009, 02:44 PM
This is the typical -- let me throw a bunch of stuff out there... and if I get SOMETHING right, I will trumpet it for years!

He has no clue what he is saying.

I take him with a VERY SMALL grain of salt.

Jabba-the-Butt-Munch wouldn't know the difference between crap & apple butter if you gave him a taste-test BEFORE making the choice.

..... In the immortal words of Jim Schoenfeld to Don Koharski.....

"..... have another donut, Fatso....."

BlastFurnace
04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Madden...

You're a Douche.

Get the F*ck off this Board!

You basically asked him to stay with that rant.

Crushzilla
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Everything said about Madden already is dead on.

Don't worry, Brister. You didn't do a bad thing by posting this. haha.

You're right. It is contrary to EVERYTHING I've heard about Harrison's resigning. That alone is enough incentive to disregard it. Those that are Mark Madden listeners know that the program needs to be taken with a heavy dose of salt.

I would hope so, at least.

St33lersguy
04-13-2009, 07:19 AM
Mark Madden = a pile of :poop:

4xSBChamps
04-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Mark Madden = a pile of :poop:

YOU, sir, have just insulted piles of :poop: everywhere, and they demand an immediate retraction of that statement!

:tap: