PDA

View Full Version : K Winslow II Paid 30-42M over 6 years

xfl2001fan
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4047667

Sick. Hasn't played a down for the Bucs...can't stay healthy...and he's a locker room cancer. Fantabulous.

Preacher
04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Hilarious. Goodbye bucs.

When you spend that much money on a player that shows no consistency. . . you're really reaching.

lilyoder6
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
so the lowest he can make his 36.1 mill but up to 42.// that is just crazy!!!! hopefully he don't go riding on a bike

The Duke
04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Dammit!!

just a year before heath's contract ends rosenhaus manages to change tight ends average contracts. Great.... he's worth much more than KII imo

as for winslow....lol, I'd be surprised if he sees year 3 of that contract

Steelman16
04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Stupid move, Bucs! :doh:

tony hipchest
04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
not a stupid move. market value says heath miller will be worth about that much when his next contract is due.

this is what happens when a team has $40-50 mil of extra cap and they need to reach the basement. good thing for them is that they can actually front load the contract and face a minimum cap hit if he is cut down the road.

it is pretty much no dumber than the steelers pissing away millions on franchising max starks.

im saying it now.... if winslow has any problems next year it will be a simple drop or status quo of numbers due to not having a qb capable of delivering the ball.

Steel-Bryan
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
U guys think we shud have franchised mcfadden instead ? :noidea:

tony hipchest
04-06-2009, 11:36 PM
:confused:

no

steelreserve
04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
:confused:

no

If I had to choose between franchising McFadden and Starks, I'd take McFadden in a second.

Of course, the correct answer would've been to franchise neither (and maybe sign McFadden for substantially less than the franchise cost anyway), but now we're getting way ahead of ourselves.

BrandonCarr39
04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
The Bucs should have made Winslow EARN his money FIRST.

Remember 3 years ago when the Redskins ripped up Brandon Lloyd's contract(that they inherited from the Niners) and gave him a BIG FAT new one - result? He got complacent, lazy, and just underperformed BIG time.

Ultimately - Winslow is in a new home and has a golden opportunity with a new and fresh start. Spoiling him with money right off the bat will only get things off on the wrong foot. Having him EARN his monies will end up giving him alot of motivation.

xfl2001fan
04-07-2009, 05:06 AM
You know how the saying goes. Repeat after me.

Not my kid, not my problem.

Galax Steeler
04-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Way overpaid no way is he worth that kind of money and hopefully Heath will not want that much when he comes up for a contarct.

Fire Haley
04-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Somehwere, Gruden must be laughing.

Six-year, $36M.

That IS Miller signing money though - but I can't see the Steelers giving $20M guaranteed.

lilyoder6
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
i think the bucs could of use some of that money and went out to get some defense players to replace the ones they cut..

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Winslow is a headcase, sure, but he's also probably the most talented pass catching TE in the league. If the Bucs can keep his head on straight, he'll be well worth the money.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Somehwere, Gruden must be laughing.

Six-year, $36M.

That IS Miller signing money though - but I can't see the Steelers giving $20M guaranteed.

See, I don't think Miller will get nearly that. Closer to $4 to $4.5 million per year. We all know how good he is, as do the Steelers, his agent, etc, but he doesn't put up the big sexy pass catching numbers Winslow does. Not saying he couldn't, he just doesn't based on system and what he is asked to do.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-07-2009, 07:50 PM
They way overpaid for him.

His knee isn't going to hold up over six years.

beSteelmyheart
04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Winslow is a headcase, sure, but he's also probably the most talented pass catching TE in the league. If the Bucs can keep his head on straight, he'll be well worth the money.
With all of the strip clubs in Tampa I'm wondering how long it will take him to get into trouble.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-09-2009, 06:23 PM
With all of the strip clubs in Tampa I'm wondering how long it will take him to get into trouble.

There are a good amount of strip clubs in Cleveland and from people I know that frequent them, Winslow was never at one. So I doubt he'd be hitting up the ones in Tampa. Not everyone is a strip club addict like Pacman.

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 08:43 AM
The major problem with this is all the guaranteed money. He makes $20 mil even if he never plays a single down.

This is an Al Davis type contract. It's not smart money.

Still, if he's happy to be back in Florida, and the Buc's start winning, he could be worth it if he gets back to catching 80-90 passes a year.

He's never going to be a blocking TE though...and that's by choice, because he certainly has the athleticism to be a fine blocker.

BrandonCarr39
04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
The major problem with this is all the guaranteed money. He makes $20 mil even if he never plays a single down.

This is an Al Davis type contract. It's not smart money.

Still, if he's happy to be back in Florida, and the Buc's start winning, he could be worth it if he gets back to catching 80-90 passes a year.

He's never going to be a blocking TE though...and that's by choice, because he certainly has the athleticism to be a fine blocker.

Isn't this supposed to be a great draft year for TEs? Not just Brandon Pettigrew, but there's someone else(can't remember his name) that can easily be nabbed in the 3rd round for very good value.

So yeah - WHY did the Bucs even give 2nd thoughts on this trade? They hired a young coach that has long-term potential - maybe not Cowher potential, but Morris was definitely a big upgrade over Gruden.

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, to be fair, how often does a TE that can legitimately catch 90 pases a year come along? How many are in the league now, maybe 4? 5?

Vernon Davis was supposed to be a lead pipe lock to be a super stud TE, and his best year he only caught 52 passes.

This is classic high risk/high reward.

BrandonCarr39
04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Well, to be fair, how often does a TE that can legitimately catch 90 pases a year come along? How many are in the league now, maybe 4? 5?

Vernon Davis was supposed to be a lead pipe lock to be a super stud TE, and his best year he only caught 52 passes.

This is classic high risk/high reward.

Although to be fair, stats CAN be a bit overrated when judging TEs.

I remember one year when our LT(Flozell Adams) went down the 2nd half of the year for us(I believe it was '05), Jason Witten was asked to block more to help out Adams' backup(Torrin Tucker), who was AWFUL...so that left him with fewer opportunities. Also - Witten is a very underrated run blocker - pt being that coaches also tend to use their TEs run blocking skills just as much. Garrett doesn't as much, but alot of other coaches do.

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I remember back in 99 or 2000 the Steelers actually moved Bruener over to OT. But we are talking apples and oranges here.

Bruener was an incredible blocking TE. He had nice hands, but no great shakes. The Steelers never threw to the TE back then anyway.

Souljah is a one trick pony in that I don't even know if the guy CAN block. He's a pass catching TE extraordinaire. Those are rare. But a guy like Miller is the rarest gem of all. An unselfish blocking TE who has great hands and, in the right system, could also probably catch 90 passes.

St33lersguy
04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Kellen Winslow jr. is getting $30-42 mil more than what he's worth