PDA

View Full Version : QB Garcia to the Raiders?

xfl2001fan
04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-99/Garcia-gives-Oakland-options.html

ESPN is reporting this now.

KeiselPower99
04-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I read it on yahoo earlier. He is set to challenge for the qb job.

steelreserve
04-07-2009, 12:39 AM
It says he's going to be the backup ... but at least now when they figure out Russell is going to suck again this season, they have someone they can reasonably put in and who might actually win a few games.

Actually, if Russell gets sidelined with a nagging injury, that might be the best chance they have at a playoff spot (LOL, Raiders in playoffs), if only because they play in such a weak-ass division. Being able to throw the ball effortlessly 65 yards down the field is not a big help when the receiver is only running a 40-yard route.

BrandonCarr39
04-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Garcia is a very talented QB, but he just can not stay healthy for a full 16 games.

Why he wants to go to the Faiders is beyond me.

ShutDown24
04-07-2009, 03:06 AM
At this point in his career I don't see Jeff Garcia mentoring anyone, so the move is more than questionable to me. He won't win the starting job, and his skill set is entirely different from that of JaMarcus Russell's... It just doesn't make any sense.

What I'm hoping, though, is that Garcia does indeed decide to help the youngster as much as possible despite wanting to play himself. Russell actually looked very good at times last year but needs a lot more polishing. Maybe Garcia will be able to help where a poor coaching staff can't.

Galax Steeler
04-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Even if he did get the starting job I don't think he will improve that team much. They have alot of holes to fill before they can even start to think of being a contender.

lilyoder6
04-07-2009, 10:22 AM
i think the raiders are hoping the garcia will help russell out and to be a stop-gap player

Fire Haley
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Excellent - one less team for Lord Byron to land on.

Browns would have been better off to keep Garcia instead of their new "savior of the day" Charlie Frye. ha ha

Godfather
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Russell actually looked very good at times last year but needs a lot more polishing. Maybe Garcia will be able to help where a poor coaching staff can't.

Good point. JR looked good toward the end of last season. If he had any WRs who could catch a pass he'd have looked even better.

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Russell is a bust. He's like Vince Young in that sheer athleticism can cover a lot of holes in his game, but to be an NFL QB you've got to be able to read defenses, make adjustments, go through progressions, etc, etc...not just run around and throw the football really hard.

I actually think Garcia steals the starting job and JR comes off the bench when "Glass Joe" inevitably gets injured...

steelreserve
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Russell is a bust. He's like Vince Young in that sheer athleticism can cover a lot of holes in his game, but to be an NFL QB you've got to be able to read defenses, make adjustments, go through progressions, etc, etc...not just run around and throw the football really hard.

LOL ... I wonder if Russell has an incentive clause in his contract for the number of times he barely overthrows a receiver and the ball ends up 30 yards downfield and 20 yards out of bounds. He'd probably be the highest paid player in the NFL if that was the case.

rbryan
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I never thought much of Russell either. When I heard he was weighing in at closer to 300 than 250 the writing was on the wall.

Big Al subscibes to the theory that bad press is still better than no press at all so this isn't very surprising. Garcia is like putting a band aide on an amputated leg.

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Garcia throws a nice long ball. That's pretty much all crazy Al looks at when evaluating QB's.

steelreserve
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I never thought much of Russell either. When I heard he was weighing in at closer to 300 than 250 the writing was on the wall.

Big Al subscibes to the theory that bad press is still better than no press at all so this isn't very surprising. Garcia is like putting a band aide on an amputated leg.

We're talking about hte Raiders, so I'd say it's more like they have an amputated head.

rbryan
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
That might be the only way to kill Al......I think he's one of the original Highlanders.

rbryan
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Heres an even better Al analogy.

Remember the Kurt Russell movie Big throuble in little China?

Als the old Chinese dude who was like a thousand years old looking for the green eyed virgin to make him whole again.

MasterOfPuppets
04-10-2009, 04:33 PM

I actually think Garcia steals the starting job and JR comes off the bench when "Glass Joe" inevitably gets injured... i think you right. garcia will be starting around week 5 or 6......get hurt by week 12, then its back to russell.

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 05:00 PM
The best part? The fans will be cheering "Gar-See-Ahhhh" by the end of game 2.

Then, when he starts sucking (Seriously, what is he going to do? The team is NOT good.), they'll start clamoring for Russell again.

Godfather
04-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Then, when he starts sucking (Seriously, what is he going to do? The team is NOT good.), they'll start clamoring for Russell again.

Hmmm...maybe it's all a ploy to take the heat off JaMarcus. The fans scream for Garcia, get their wish, he sucks, and they decide it's not JR's fault.

Only problem is that theory requires someone in Oakland's front office to have a brain.

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 10:35 PM

Although you know what, Garcia may be one of the few QBs who could actually do well in spite of what he's got around him in Oakland. He's been on enough shitty teams and spent enough seasons running for his life that I bet he still makes Russell look stupid.

Who knows, they might even win the division by default, since everyone else but the Chargers has decided to take themselves out of the race.

Also, I can't believe they wasted the #1 overall pick on Russell basically because of one bowl game. It's like, no matter how big you are, it doesn't stop linebackers from tackling you. So basically you've got a slow quarterback with a strong arm and no accuracy.

silver & black
04-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I bet he still makes Russell look stupid.
He doesn't need any help with that. He does just fine on his own... with his mink coat and his diamond encrusted "Russel 2" jersey necklace. Save the damn bling for after you've actually done something.

I can't believe they wasted the #1 overall pick on Russell basically because of one bowl game.
There are quite a few Raiders fans that feel the same way.

Can you tell that I'm not a JR fan?

BrandonCarr39
04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Although you know what, Garcia may be one of the few QBs who could actually do well in spite of what he's got around him in Oakland. He's been on enough shitty teams and spent enough seasons running for his life that I bet he still makes Russell look stupid.

Who knows, they might even win the division by default, since everyone else but the Chargers has decided to take themselves out of the race.

Also, I can't believe they wasted the #1 overall pick on Russell basically because of one bowl game. It's like, no matter how big you are, it doesn't stop linebackers from tackling you. So basically you've got a slow quarterback with a strong arm and no accuracy.

I remember his (short)stint in Philly...

The fans went from BOOING him in that Carolina Mon Night game and wanted AJ Feeley to come in, and this DESPITE him having an incredible game that night(of course, this was the same game that jumpstarted the Eagles run to steal the NFCE down the stretch that year)...to pretty much CRYING for him not to leave when all was said and done.

He may not be a long-term solution b/c he can't stay healthy an entire season, but he DOES energize and gives his team that much needed shot in the arm. His presence doesn't exactly hurt at all.

revefsreleets
04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
The Raiders mob will not be big fans of Garcia's questionable sexual orientation either...

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 01:02 PM
The Raiders mob will not be big fans of Garcia's questionable sexual orientation either...

You'd think so, but Oakland IS still the Bay Area. If there's one place where no one would be fazed by a gay quarterback (other than San Francisco itself), Oakland is it.

Godfather
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Nah, Trent Edwards is the gay quarterback now.

revefsreleets
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
You'd think so, but Oakland IS still the Bay Area. If there's one place where no one would be fazed by a gay quarterback (other than San Francisco itself), Oakland is it.

Wrong side of the bay...

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Wrong side of the bay...

No, I mean, people in this entire area are just used to the fact that there are going to be plenty of gay people around. If you let it bother you, you'd just be wasting your time. So even the people who aren't crazy about gays mostly just ignore it, and that goes for Raiders fans too.

I mean, I'm sure there are some fans who would bring it up, but that's mostly because they're trying to be jerks anyway, not because the whole gay thing set them off.

AllD
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I think Vinnie Testaverde is available too.

AllD
04-13-2009, 07:42 PM

They will have to deal with it in the same way Bengal and Browns fans have to deal with their entire team having questionable sexual orientation.

xfl2001fan
04-13-2009, 07:45 PM
They will have to deal with it in the same way Bengal and Browns fans have to deal with their entire team having questionable sexual orientation.

Great insight AIDS. I've heard it said that people who talk the most about the gay community are closet people. Is this how you contracted your username?

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Somehow, these dudes (and all their clones) don't strike me as the most enlightened and tolerant of people...

http://www.theloveofsports.com/images/uploads/large/RaiderFans.jpg

steelreserve
04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Somehow, these dudes (and all their clones) don't strike me as the most enlightened and tolerant of people...

http://www.theloveofsports.com/images/uploads/large/RaiderFans.jpg

You wouldn't think so, but really, most people across the board here are just desensitized to gayness. It's hard to explain, but it comes up often enough that you don't even think about it; it doesn't even really get a reaction anymore.

Of course, it would still be great fuel for heckling if Garcia got on the fans' bad side -- I can definitely see people yelling tings like "take your homo ass back to San Francisco where you belong" -- but that's more piling it on after they're already pissed. I don't think it'll be the kind of thing that will set people off if they're not down on him already.

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
I definitely heard more than one cry of "Take the n***er off the trigger" in the stands during the Kordell era...

And I don't consider Pittsburgh to be a racist city by nature, so...

fansince'76
04-14-2009, 02:16 PM

I have a feeling Garcia's straight despite what a certain disgruntled idiot with a big mouth may have said in the past....

http://beerandseeds.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jeff-garcia-wife-carmella-decesare.jpg

AllD
04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Great insight AIDS. I've heard it said that people who talk the most about the gay community are closet people. Is this how you contracted your username?

I typed it in as All D as in ALL DEFENSE.

rbryan
04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a feeling Garcia's straight despite what a certain disgruntled idiot with a big mouth may have said in the past....

http://beerandseeds.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/jeff-garcia-wife-carmella-decesare.jpg

If thats his wife or girlfriend, I want to be gay too.

steelerdave1969
04-14-2009, 04:19 PM
RBRYAN... I couldnt have said it better myself friend.. I just think that someone was wanting to give the guy a bad name and it has maybe worked with some, but I think the Raiders have found their starting QB for the next couple years while they find a Real QB, cuz Russell isnt the real thing...

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I think he goes WAY out of his way to only date Playboy models for a reason, if you know what I mean...they are great........shopping together.

rbryan
04-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm willing to go "way out of my way" to get wid dat too.

I hear what your saying, but you've got to at least give him an A for effort. In our PC society he could probably get away with posing with one of the Ravens "ball boy" cheerleaders if thats how he swings it.

kmsteelerwr15
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
If thats his wife or girlfriend, I want to be gay too.

:rofl:

damn that is one of the funniest things ive ever heard :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
04-15-2009, 11:35 AM
thats his wife. hes been married to the playmate for quite a while.

shes smoking... like eva longoria with a huge rack.

BOOBIES! :lust:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=jeff+garcia+wife&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=jeff+garcia

Godfather
04-15-2009, 12:51 PM
RBRYAN... I couldnt have said it better myself friend.. I just think that someone was wanting to give the guy a bad name and it has maybe worked with some, but I think the Raiders have found their starting QB for the next couple years while they find a Real QB, cuz Russell isnt the real thing...

I don't see how a different QB will produce a different result. Is Kwame Harris going to stop committing a false start and two holding penalties every possession? Are the receivers suddenly going to start catching passes that hit them between the numbers?

stlrtruck
04-15-2009, 01:31 PM
thats his wife. hes been married to the playmate for quite a while.

shes smoking... like eva longoria with a huge rack.

BOOBIES! :lust:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=jeff+garcia+wife&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=jeff+garcia

Some of your posts just kill me over with laughter. This is one of them!!!!!

silver & black
04-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't see how a different QB will produce a different result. Is Kwame Harris going to stop committing a false start and two holding penalties every possession? Are the receivers suddenly going to start catching passes that hit them between the numbers?

As a matter of fact, he is... because he is no longer on the team.:wink02:

A different QB isn't going to make a difference. Garcia was brought in as a vet back up. I suppose it is very likely that he may end up with the starting job aftyer a short time. I won't be upset if it happens. I've always thought JR was an overrated, one game wonder. I didn't want to draft him, but I have no say in the matter.:noidea:

Godfather
04-19-2009, 12:54 PM
As a matter of fact, he is... because he is no longer on the team.:wink02:

Cool, didn't know Oakland got rid of him. That should be worth two extra wins by itself. :rofl:

silver & black
04-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Cool, didn't know Oakland got rid of him. That should be worth two extra wins by itself. :rofl:

No sh*t! :sofunny:

The guy was just awful!