PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandts 'Hot 100' picks for the 2009 draft

tony hipchest
04-06-2009, 11:05 PM
good for reference being that he traditionally has an 85-90% success rate in picking the top 100.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fa17a0&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

this is what suprised me the most- jarron gilbert as an OT???

Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State:
Father Daren played OT for the New Orleans Saints… Good combine numbers (4.85 40 and 35 ½-inch vertical jump at 288 pounds)… Has 36 ¾-inch arms… While he had 9.5 sacks and 22 tackles for loss in 2008, he might have better upside as an offensive tackle… Does not go all-out on every down.

Steelman16
04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Has he EVER played tackle though? I mean, DT and OT are two completely different positions.

Think about Snack playing RT... :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I think Gil meant to say "Defensive" tackle. That or its really time for him to retire.

Gilbert played DT mostly, but his athleticism and size have made most pencil him in at DE. He really looks to fit that mould of a 3-4 DE........a guy not thick enough to play DT, nor quick enough to play DE...in a 4-3 defense.

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't have too many arguments to make here...his top 10 may be a little out of whack, and he's got a few guys in the top 40 that I'm thinking are reach's,but, overall, this is a pretty good list of prospects.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I like how Gil has Andy Levitre from Oregon St in tier 9, while Mike Mayock has Levitre as the best guard in the draft.

Mayock was smoking field turf when he did that evaluation. :smoker:

MDSteel15
04-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I like how Gil has Andy Levitre from Oregon St in tier 9, while Mike Mayock has Levitre as the best guard in the draft.

Mayock was smoking field turf when he did that evaluation. :smoker:

A lot of the draft magazines have him in the top 3-4 gaurds...

steelerdave1969
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I am just glad that we all agree to disagree that the paid professionals know nothing about the upcoming draft prospects...
:drink:

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I am just glad that we all agree to disagree that the paid professionals know nothing about the upcoming draft prospects...
:drink:

If Phil Steele did a draft thing, I'd buy it. But there are like 12,000 D-1a football players, not to mention the tens of thousands at the smaller schools. It's just impossible to be intimately familiar with all of them unless it's all you did 24/7/365.

That's why I feel free to comment mostly on the ones I know and have watched frequently, and can only give general impressions of the ones I've seen play, but not a lot.

Most of these guys are doing evaluation based on highlight reels, combine stuff, and not their total body of work.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2009, 06:06 PM
If Phil Steele did a draft thing, I'd buy it. But there are like 12,000 D-1a football players, not to mention the tens of thousands at the smaller schools. It's just impossible to be intimately familiar with all of them unless it's all you did 24/7/365.

That's why I feel free to comment mostly on the ones I know and have watched frequently, and can only give general impressions of the ones I've seen play, but not a lot.

Most of these guys are doing evaluation based on highlight reels, combine stuff, and not their total body of work.

Had never heard of Phil Steele. Looked him up and sounds like dude is tapped into college football.

I agree with you that a lot of guys go from hilight reels and such, but believe that Mayock looks at a lot of tape........although he gets hooked by single games on guys. I think with Levitre he always refers to their game against USC where they upset the
Trojans.

I watched a couple of Levitre's games and the senior bowl workouts closely and there was nothing dominant about the guy. Its why I was completely baffled as to how he is ranked better than Kraig Urbik, Duke Robinson, Trevor Canfield or any of the top centers like Wood, Mack, Unger, Caldwell.

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Steele is a nut. He watches every televised college game. Seriously. Every. Single. Game.

SunshineMan21
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Watch some of Loadholt's tape . . . I've been consistently very impressed.

Then watch Herman Johnson. Damn.

tony hipchest
04-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I think Gil meant to say "Defensive" tackle. That or its really time for him to retire.

.i didnt think of that at first but a simple typo does make sense; however, im watching "path to the draft" re-run and charlie casserly and mike mayock both verify that several teams have mentioned to them developping gilbert for a couple of years as a LT. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
i didnt think of that at first but a simple typo does make sense; however, im watching "path to the draft" re-run and charlie casserly and mike mayock both verify that several teams have mentioned to them developping gilbert for a couple of years as a LT. :noidea:

Yeah, I saw that and Casserly didnt think it was gonna happen in today's era of impatientce converting a guy. I think it might slide Gilbert down a round if there is that much question of him being aggressive enough to play DT and mentally thought of as an OT.