PDA

View Full Version : Bears Have Opening to Snag top Receiver Burress

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Bears have opening to snag top receiver, Plaxico Burress

If the Bears really want to go out and get a top-flight wide receiver, here is their chance.

The New York Giants just put Plaxico Burress on the market by cutting the controversial wideout and former Super Bowl champion who caught the winning touchdown in Super Bowl XLII.

Burress could be staring down some jail time after shooting a hole in his leg last November at a Manhattan night club. He's angling for a plea, reportedly, but it would still likely involve incarceration. If the Bears are willing to wait for a second fiddle defensive tackle like Tank Johnson to do some time in the poky, why not Burress? Just think of the long line of Halas Hall employees who could visit Burress in lockup, if he winds up there.

Burress is 31 but still has productive years ahead of him. He's a big target, he'll block downfield and even if he can't give you an entire season in 2009--the long arm of Roger Goodell has not reached him yet--he could be there moving forward.

The free-agent market is barren when it comes to top talent. There will be no sure thing in the draft at No. 49. The last time the Bears chose a wide receiver in the second round, they got Mark Bradley. What's worse? Putting up with some of the baggage Burress would bring to town or risking missing again in the draft at wide receiver. For review, check the chart we put together Thursday on general manager Jerry Angelo's track record drafting wideouts.

As connected as Jay Cutler and Earl Bennett were for one season at Vanderbilt, Bennett was a zero last season for the Bears. Bringing in Cutler alone isn't going to turn him into a top-flight receiver. That's also no sure thing. If the Bears are serious about their win-now approach, and dealing for Cutler and signing Orlando Pace indicates they are, then they have to consider Burress.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/04/bears_have_opening_to_snag_top.html

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Logistically, it makes sense and would be a good signing. I just think too many teams are compromising on behavior and paying the price a few years later, with only mediocre seasons inbetween -- Cowboys, Bengals, Raiders, Falcons spring to mind. While this would be a very potent 2009 and probably 2010 team, I just wonder what Burress would do to Cutler's consistency and WR morale.

The Bears seemed to address some of their behavior issues with letting Tank Johnson go, seems odd they would just bring in another distraction.

steelreserve
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm willing to bet they sign him, unless it's obvious he's going to be suspended half the season or something. It would definitely fit the mentality of "hurry up and win now before it's too late" that their situation seems to dictate. They could probably put up with just about anything for a year or two, because that's about how long their window is to be a contender.

Although both Cutler and Burress on the roster? It could be hilarious to see what happens if you put two divas like that on the same team, and not a team like the Raiders or the Cowboys that's been known for that.

revefsreleets
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Again, I thing if they examine his situation, they'll find what the Giants already know: Plax is going to jail for a long time.

rbryan
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't see how the prosecution can back down after the Mayor went on his little tirade. The fact that the Giants let him go isn't going to help his cause in a NY courtroom either. If he doesn't get a least one year in the can I'll be very surprised.

steelreserve
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't see how the prosecution can back down after the Mayor went on his little tirade.

Easy. They can back down by saying they don't have the resources to take every case to a jury trial, what with the recent budget cuts, etc., etc., so settling it with a plea deal is in everyone's best interest. As long as he spends some actual time in jail, the mayor can save face. I'm betting on 30 or 60 days plus wearing an ankle bracelet, and maybe not being allowed to drink alcohol, which he'll probably screw up on by about mid-season.

ShutDown24
04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't think any team is going to go after Plax until he is out of jail.

lilyoder6
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
even if there is a small chance of that plex does not get jail time.. he will still get punished by roger with some type of suspension

rbryan
04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Clearly his only way out of this is if he signs with the patsies..........lol

RoethlisBURGHer
04-07-2009, 07:40 PM
If he gets a plea deal, I think it will be much like what Jamal Lewis got. Thirty days in jail, thirty days in a half-way house...two years probation.

And then Goodell will set in a suspension. At the least four games, at the most eight games.

I think that the Bears could sign him. Plax is not going to get a big deal, and it will probably be incentive laden with a decent signing bonus and maybe $1.5M/Season.

T&B fan
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Again, I thing if they examine his situation, they'll find what the Giants already know: Plax is going to jail for a long time.

yup you said it :tt03:

I don't see how the prosecution can back down after the Mayor went on his little tirade. The fact that the Giants let him go isn't going to help his cause in a NY courtroom either. If he doesn't get a least one year in the can I'll be very surprised.

its a 3 yr manditory . IMO he might get off luck with 1 yr served then probation

even if there is a small chance of that plex does not get jail time.. he will still get punished by roger with some type of suspension

good old Roger yea this is where plax gets off if he can play with the pats no suspenion..:chuckle: . 4 game sounds right see below

If he gets a plea deal, I think it will be much like what Jamal Lewis got. Thirty days in jail, thirty days in a half-way house...two years probation.

And then Goodell will set in a suspension. At the least four games, at the most eight games.

I think that the Bears could sign him. Plax is not going to get a big deal, and it will probably be incentive laden with a decent signing bonus and maybe $1.5M/Season.

Lewis was not in NYC ..

and I heard on the raido today that the Giants are going to have to pay him the rest of his signing bonus . something like $ 1 m

RoethlisBURGHer
04-07-2009, 08:26 PM
yup you said it :tt03:

its a 3 yr manditory . IMO he might get off luck with 1 yr served then probation

good old Roger yea this is where plax gets off if he can play with the pats no suspenion..:chuckle: . 4 game sounds right see below

Lewis was not in NYC ..

and I heard on the raido today that the Giants are going to have to pay him the rest of his signing bonus . something like $ 1 m

Lewis was charged by the feds, not the state.

What will probably happen is Plax will deal to something less and then he"ll serve something like the example I have given.