PDA

View Full Version : Does the resigning of Fox mean Harrison might not get signed?

SteelersJW
04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Does the resigning of Fox mean Harrison might not get signed?

Fire Haley
04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
No

Next question

Hammer67
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Um, I sure hope they are smarter then that!

tyler289
04-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Fox is nothing more than a special teamer and backup.

BlastFurnace
04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
The only Harrison on the roster that it would have affected is Arnold..and he was re-signed.

Silverback will be signed. He's worth the gamble for the Steelers...even at 30+ years of age.

CPanther95
04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Harrison was already signed a few years ago. He's not unsigned until 2010. :wink02:

steelreserve
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
No, Harrison's greedy agent means Harrison might not be re-signed.

bigjamesharrison2
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I doubt it. Fox was more of a special teams kinda guy.

rbryan
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't claim to be any great judge of talent, but I remember seeing that guy flying around and thinking to myself WTF is that guy!! I realize a couple special teams plays and preseason games don't mean much but I'm glad we resigned him.

Who knows. No one expected anything more from Harrison a couple years back.

KeiselPower99
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Harrisons eventual replacement is Bruce Davis. Fox is our ace ST guy.

CPanther95
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Silverback will be signed. He's worth the gamble for the Steelers...even at 30+ years of age.

The question they're asking is whether he is worth the gamble at 31+ & 32+ and at what cost. At 30+ it's worth the gamble because he comes dirt cheap for the 2009 season.

Current contract + Franchise tag + Franchise tag divided by 3 is likely much less per year than what his agent is looking for - plus that gives you the option of withdrawing after 1 or 2 years (or trading him).

I'm not sure getting a renegotiated contract is that much of a priority for the Steelers FO if there's even a moderate amount of pressure from his agent.

HometownGal
04-07-2009, 02:01 PM
No

Next question

^^^^^

What he said.

billybob
04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
James Harrison was a killer for our team. My favorite play is when he slammed that Browns fan to the ground and held him there.But anyway , we have a strong and willing linebacking crew ready to pull the weight. Fox is a vital part of our special teams , and i am glad they welcomed him back.
He has never been a starter for us ,but who is to say what he would do with the chance?
James has proven to be a class act. If he wants more than the Steelers are willing to pay , then he might have to travel that same road out of town ,others have been down before. There were others before him , and their will be others waiting in the wings to move in.
Put the team first attitude , and James has a place to retire. We need more players to focus on the team , and less on how much dough they can milk.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey, I love Harrison as much as the next fan. My Avatar used to be a scene of him slamming that Browns fan...........but I cant refer to anybody that hits the mother of his child as "a class act". :doh:

Oh...............I agree with Killer. NO.

Steelman16
04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Fox played inside backer anyway. If Harrison was let go after '10, then Davis or another draftee will take his place.

devilsdancefloor
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Fox played inside backer anyway. If Harrison was let go after '10, then Davis or another draftee will take his place.

What he said he plays behind farrior

billybob
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Fox now has the chance to possibly make it to a whole new level. If Harrison is not willing to sign for what he is optioned , then at least we added experience , and depth automatically.
There is no excuse for a man hitting on the mother of his child. Where that came from i don't know.
Fox was outstanding on special teams last season , and you can not dispute that fact.
Our whole special teams made a major contribution to our success , even without our primary punter, they managed to make strides. Fox was instrumental in the equation whether you like it or not!
Least the front office knows a little more than most. Last "Jackson " on this team i remember was Earnest . "Trade him for a six pack........it don't even have to be cold "
Why do things turn out the way they do?
Are you Earnest?

scsteeler
04-07-2009, 05:54 PM
The question they're asking is whether he is worth the gamble at 31+ & 32+ and at what cost. At 30+ it's worth the gamble because he comes dirt cheap for the 2009 season.

Current contract + Franchise tag + Franchise tag divided by 3 is likely much less per year than what his agent is looking for - plus that gives you the option of withdrawing after 1 or 2 years (or trading him).

I'm not sure getting a renegotiated contract is that much of a priority for the Steelers FO if there's even a moderate amount of pressure from his agent.

This is so true, if he does not sign before the start of the season then he plays until his contract ends and based on his productivity and staying healthy his asking price may be even more. The downside is if he gets hurt or production is reduced then the agent made the wrong gamble. If needed the franchise tag can be used at least 1 or 2 more years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
There is no excuse for a man hitting on the mother of his child. Where that came from i don't know.

You described Harrison as "a class act". I cant describe him as classy, but more like Greg Lloyd .......nasty. Both great players.

The thing with Harrison is that he can be franchise tagged or transition tagged next year, so there is no reason to think he will be gone unless the Steelers choose not to sign or tag him.

I think they tag him next year for another season and decide if Bruce Davis or maybe even a draft pick this year is ready to take over in 2011.

billybob
04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Gotcha.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Bruce Davis might not even be his replacement...we have this guy on the roster named Lawrence Timmons, and the coaching staff still isn't quite sure where he fits...he can play both inside and outside.

So if Harrison walks, I think that Timmons takes over his spot at OLB.

Mizark70
04-07-2009, 07:11 PM
It wouldnt suprise me if they dont resign him. Look how many times the staff has let other players go, who we would want to stay, and we never missed a step the next season

SteelersJW
04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
First of all, I was not saying that Fox was going to replace silverback. Nobody could replace Jimmie Harrison right now, he's the defensive MVP. I was just addressing the fact that we are signing more linebackers and Harrison hasn't been one of them.

fansince'76
04-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I was just addressing the fact that we are signing more linebackers and Harrison hasn't been one of them.

Could have something to do with the fact that the other LBs that were signed were free agents and Harrison is under contract for at least one more year, hence there was a bit more urgency to get the other deals done first. I would also imagine there's quite a bit more haggling involved in trying to get a new deal done with James Harrison as opposed to Arnold Harrison, Keyaron Fox and Andre Frazier.

IamTheSteelGod
04-08-2009, 03:55 AM
There is deffinately some comfort in knowing that Timmons is still on the roster, he is a security blanket for anything that goes wrong. E.g. Foote contract is up next year and we dont know what is going on with Harrison. I honestly think we wont re-sign Harrison. I think we will milk him for another season them put a franchise tag on him next year if he performs this year. No doubt he won't because he will be seeking the big contract. However he will be 33 if that happens. The only saving grace he has are his skills and the fact that he started his career late. The only way Harrison is going to get paid the big if the franchise thinks he deserves it enough and are willing to let a few key personel go next year. I wouldn't like to see the likes of Miller go tbh. Lets just hope Harrison is not playing for a contract like Albert Haynesworth was. I bet a shiny penny that he is crap next year, the Redskins well overpaid him and its known that he only plays better when his free agency is on the line. However Harrison on the other hand has never been paid out, back up to porter for years and dropped from the team a good few times. This is were he is going to say pay me you know what I can do, lets just hope the Steelers can weave some magic.

steelreserve
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Farrior and Foote are getting long in the tooth....i dont know dude. Then who's going to patch up the inside LB corp?

This is why I've been saying since midseason ... don't be surprised if we take yet another LB early in the draft this year. Three of the four starters might have to be replaced in the next year or two, and as far as I know, we've only got one guy ready to do that.

We're in basically the same situation at LB as we are with DL -- lots of talent, but how much longer will it work to keep the same guys? With the DL it's age, with the LBs it's part age, part contracts.

Preacher
04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey, I love Harrison as much as the next fan. My Avatar used to be a scene of him slamming that Browns fan...........but I cant refer to anybody that hits the mother of his child as "a class act". :doh:

Oh...............I agree with Killer. NO.
http://www.protentialfootball.com/images/Applause.gif