PDA

View Full Version : i finally got stung by a scorpion

tony hipchest
04-07-2009, 11:37 PM
just went out back for a cigarette (in nothing but shorts and a pair of sneakers) and as i sat down at the comp had to swipe a creepy crawly off of my leg and stomp it....

which reminded me, a few weekends ago, i was awaken at 7AM being attacked by a scorpion. it stung my right middle finger 3 times, and i wasnt fully awakened until it was stinging my left middle finger for a 4th time. unfortunately i didnt get to kill the bastard as i flung it across the room.

that shit hurt and burned.

now i always thought that scorpion bites (stings) always = immediate death but seeing my daughter and "worse half" take 3, made me worry less, (assuming i didnt have no allergies. i still always thought it would hurt like figs though).

4 stings. it really wasnt that bad. its been a while, but i remember ant and bee stings being worse. i took, 2 benadryl, went back to bed and didnt think of it since (until i found this creepy bastard crawling up my leg tonight) :banging:

its time to spray. unfortunately the scorpions are resiliant mf'ers. we see many more of them than c0ckroaches or waterbugs.

whats funny is if you live a mile away from the foothills, its the complete opposite. never saw a scorpion for years until i moved "up" here.

MasterOfPuppets
04-08-2009, 12:12 AM
congrats !!! ya got yer cherry popped....:tt03::celebrate

steelwall
04-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Yeap got nailed by one of my king scorpions once, luckily I grabbed his tail before he could nail me again......normally they are pretty docile..but needless to say I had to "get rid" of him after that.

MasterOfPuppets
04-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Yeap got nailed by one of my king scorpions once, luckily I grabbed his tail before he could nail me again......normally they are pretty docile..but needless to say I had to "get rid" of him after that. DID YA FLUSH IT? :chuckle:

steelwall
04-08-2009, 01:22 AM
DID YA FLUSH IT? :chuckle:

After brutally hacking him to death with a kitchen knife.......

No joke I had to, when I grabbed his tail he grabbed my hand with one of his pinchers, it was a life and death struggle, but man once again came out on top...:wink02:

me= 1 King scorpions= 0..........bring it!!! scorpions...bring it!!!!

steelreserve
04-08-2009, 02:08 AM
it stung my right middle finger 3 times, and i wasnt fully awakened until it was stinging my left middle finger for a 4th time.

Man. It really knew to go after what's important. I use those things all the time.

MACH1
04-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Was it one of those little yellowish sob's?

When I was younger living in Nevada, one of the little bastards got in my shoe. Woke up to go to school and went to puttin on my shoes and it felt like a hot poker going through my middle of my foot. Flung my shoe across the room and the yellow mf'er crawled out. I retrieved my shoe and proceeded to pound it into mush.
Still to this day I have a habit of knocking out my shoes before I put them on.

steelwall
04-08-2009, 02:51 AM

I do the same thing......... I never had an experience like yours but I do think about it...

Oh yeah.... now we got a running count...

steelers fans- 2, Scorpions - 0 we're gonna take em again this year, I can feel it.!!!!!

Crushzilla
04-08-2009, 06:00 AM
I can't remember for the life of me where he was, but my grandfather got nailed when he was in the army.

One of their training exercises was to dig a foxhole and stay in it for the night. About halfway through the pitch black night he felt a bite on his cheek. He brushed off the attacker, but quickly realized what had happened.

He also laments not having the opportunity to "do him in."

Me? I've never seen one that wasn't behind glass.

Scorpys don't likea the cold...

Galax Steeler
04-08-2009, 06:29 AM
congrats !!! ya got yer cherry popped....:tt03::celebrate

:toofunny:

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Was it a big scorpion? As Indian Jones says, with Scorpions, big is good.

Hammer67
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I hate spiders and scorpians...don't think I have been bitten by either that I recall. Don't ever want to.

I used to clean some of those nasty buggers out of the bottom of our pool when we lived in Florida, though.

HometownGal
04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I've seen scorpions during my visits to Florida and I sure as hell wouldn't want to tangle with 'em. :horror:

Hope those stings are healin' up for you Tony.

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I had an infestaion of black widows at my house in Florida. I asked the pest guy what I could spray to prevent them, and he laughed at me and said "Agent Orange...maybe".

I was a dumbass, and didn't respect them at all...I used to just smash them with a shoe. I later saw pictures of what their bite can do. I'm lucky I never got bit because I'm allergic to almost all insect bites...

tony hipchest
04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Was it a big scorpion? As Indian Jones says, with Scorpions, big is good.it was one of those smaller tannish ones like mach1 said.

>8_______! (about this long- i know, my keyboard drawing of a scorpion sucks.)

what a nurse told us is that these are the most popular ones around here and are typically no worse than a bee-sting (unless of course you are allergic). ive been stung by bees and ants dozens of times. i used to catch and play with them as a kid, so i pretty much figured i wasnt.

what totally suprised me was after the initial hot sting there was no lingering pain. the mark went away in about 5 minutes. it actually hurt less than a bee or ant.

i had been lied to all my life! i thought it was a death sentence!

whats funny, is i dont mind spiders at all. i especially like the fuzzy, stripey, evil, mean looking ones.

i had a whole bunch at my old office that were especially furry and pretty, they were big as far as your typical spiders go but really looked like baby brown trantulas. i would always keep them around, feed them, and pet their fuzzy little (acutally big) abdomens.

i didnt know i was screwing around with brown recluses :doh: i thought they were big wolf spiders. i even let my daughter get real close to it. although she thought it was cute she didnt want to pet it.

needless to say, i dont play with them any more.

MACH1
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Scorpys don't likea the cold...

Wouldn't necessarily say that. I've seen a few here in ID. Just don't need to worry about them in the winter time.

xfl2001fan
04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
i had a whole bunch at my old office that were especially furry and pretty, they were big as far as your typical spiders go but really looked like baby brown trantulas. i would always keep them around, feed them, and pet their fuzzy little (acutally big) abdomens.

[bi didnt know i was screwing around with brown recluses :doh: [/b]i thought they were big wolf spiders. i even let my daughter get real close to it. although she thought it was cute she didnt want to pet it.

OMG That's just scary. I thought that the Brown Recluse was a night-time predator though...but maybe that's just in the OH climate. Either way, you are so freaking lucky. My dad got bit by one and it nearly killed him. He's not allergic to bee stings or anything else that he's aware of...but that lil violin spider nearly did him in .

MACH1
04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
it was one of those smaller tannish ones like mach1 said.

>8_______! (about this long- i know, my keyboard drawing of a scorpion sucks.)

what a nurse told us is that these are the most popular ones around here and are typically no worse than a bee-sting (unless of course you are allergic). ive been stung by bees and ants dozens of times. i used to catch and play with them as a kid, so i pretty much figured i wasnt.

what totally suprised me was after the initial hot sting there was no lingering pain. the mark went away in about 5 minutes. it actually hurt less than a bee or ant.

i had been lied to all my life! i thought it was a death sentence!

whats funny, is i dont mind spiders at all. i especially like the fuzzy, stripey, evil, mean looking ones.

i didnt know i was screwing around with brown recluses :doh: i thought they were big wolf spiders. i even let my daughter get real close to it. although she thought it was cute she didnt want to pet it.

Brown Recluses aren't fuzzy are they?

Maybe it was Hobo spiders, which are almost as bad and they get big. I've killed a few in our garage about the size of a 50 cent piece.

tony hipchest
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Brown Recluses aren't fuzzy are they?

Maybe it was Hobo spiders, which are almost as bad and they get big. I've killed a few in our garage about the size of a 50 cent piece.i just looked on google images. they were hobo spiders (never heard of them). cute lil boogers. the ones here are bigger than a silver dollar. so theyre not safe to pet either? ive never had any problems with tarantuals or wolfies. :noidea:

i guess ive never seen a recluse, but they are much bigger than i always thought.

MACH1
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I like the black and white wolfies, bad ass lookin spiders. I let those live and cat spiders.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Was it one of those little yellowish sob's?

When I was in Iraq...I got stung on top of my right foot by one of the little white ones...it put an acorn sized pus-filled knot on my foot and had to be lanced.

The Army doc gave me a note to give to my company commander, that said I had to go without a boot for week.

Long way back to base...note got lost and I wore my boot VERY loosely laced.

MACH1
04-08-2009, 12:38 PM
When I was in Iraq...I got stung on top of my right foot by one of the little white ones...it put an acorn sized pus-filled knot on my foot and had to be lanced.

The Army doc gave me a note to give to my company commander, that said I had to go without a boot for week.

Long way back to base...note got lost and I wore my boot VERY loosely laced.

Ouch!

Mine wasn't that bad, like Tony said its like a bee or wasp sting. Also like Tony I thought I had a death sentence, the doctor laughed at me.

This is what kind it was.
http://pie.midco.net/dougback/miscphotos/scorpion7.jpg

Paruroctonus boreus (Girard, 1854)
northern scorpion
Photo of concolorous (auratus) form courtesy of and Copyright 1999 R. David Gaban.
Photo of common P. boreus (preserved female from Idaho) by KJM and W.M. Burrell Copyright 2001.
Photo of live female from Alberta, Canada, courtesy of and Copyright 2001 Prof. Dan Johnson, University of Lethbridge.
Distribution: Common in a variety of habitats and elevations (to over 2000 m, 7000 ft). Western North America, from southern Canada to northern Arizona to eastern California, essentially excluding the northwest coastal region and the Mojave and Sonora Deserts. The northern scorpion probably occurs in northwestern New Mexico (Gertsch and Soleglad 1966).
Canada: British Columbia: Okanagon Lake Valley; Alberta: Medicine Hat to Red Deer and Calgary. Sasketchewan?
USA: Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and northern Arizona.
Checklist to the American Scorpion (http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/paruroctonus.html)

beSteelmyheart
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I live in the central Florida coast area & have never seen a scorpion, thank God. I think I would totally flip my lid. I'd kill it of course, but my screams would be heard for blocks!:laughing:

tony hipchest
04-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Ouch!

Mine wasn't that bad, like Tony said its like a bee or wasp sting. Also like Tony I thought I had a death sentence, the doctor laughed at me.

This is what kind it was.
http://pie.midco.net/dougback/miscphotos/scorpion7.jpg

yep. thats the culprit.... giant lobster claws, beady black eyes, translucent legs, and a swollen poison pouch with a rose thorn stinger.

a couple of years back i saw an unusually large and darker, veiny triumpant bastard crawling on my garage wall. as i got closer, i saw that it was a mother scorp with about 100 tiny little babies clinging to its body. i hit it so hard with a shoe i thought i was gonna put a hole in the drywall. i still got the stain their as a sign of victory and warning to others.

did you know them bastards crawl on the ceiling? its a little tougher killing one with a broom handle. even after theyre smached their tails are trying to sting something.

*shudders*

NJarhead
04-08-2009, 08:05 PM
yep. thats the culprit.... giant lobster claws, beady black eyes, translucent legs, and a swollen poison pouch with a rose thorn stinger.

a couple of years back i saw an unusually large and darker, veiny triumpant bastard crawling on my garage wall. as i got closer, i saw that it was a mother scorp with about 100 tiny little babies clinging to its body. i hit it so hard with a shoe i thought i was gonna put a hole in the drywall. i still got the stain their as a sign of victory and warning to others.

did you know them bastards crawl on the ceiling? its a little tougher killing one with a broom handle. even after theyre smached their tails are trying to sting something.

*shudders*

Haven't any of you guys ever tried to capture a couple and have a scorpion death match (like in the shitty film Jarhead)?

MACH1
04-08-2009, 09:36 PM

*shudders*

Yep...Thats when you invest in one of these. Fry em like bacon on a hot griddle. :chuckle:

http://www.roofrake.com/images/electricflyswatter22.jpg

Haven't any of you guys ever tried to capture a couple and have a scorpion death match (like in the shitty film Jarhead)?

Did when I was in Nevada. Put them in a 10 gal. fish tank and all they did was try to hide. No death match's. :mad: Then my dad found out and got in big trouble for playing with scorpions. They can kill you with one sting don't ya know. :doh:

tony hipchest
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
They can kill you with one sting don't ya know. :doh::chuckle: your dad and my mom musta went to the same school. "i always thought they were deadly."

heres another one... ive always been told a tarantula bite is no worse than a bee sting. now they are rather peaceful and docile but have you seen the size of their fangs? they cant even fit in their mouth :jawdrop: they are literally as big as the lead in a really sharpened pencil.

no way that hurts less than a freaking bee. :dang:

(just for reference, it is pretty difficult to hold a tarantula with 1 hand and extend its fang out with a toothpick in the other hand.)

fansince'76
04-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I9g4CCCis2Y

:chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
i sat on one in iraq and i got the forest gump treatment for a week or so! where did it sting ya .... in the buttocks sir.

tony hipchest
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
i sat on one in iraq and i got the forest gump treatment for a week or so! where did it sting ya .... in the buttocks sir.

"i'd like to see that....

God damn, son" lol

hey fansince, how bout this classic? :chuckle:

9Ntn8yfOmIA

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

i love it!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
04-08-2009, 10:58 PM
That's Karma for voting for Obama:rofl:

tony hipchest
04-08-2009, 11:05 PM
That's Karma for voting for Obama:rofl::shake01:

i guess this is what lies in your future then-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30083801/

:thumbsup:

fansince'76
04-08-2009, 11:10 PM
"i'd like to see that....

God damn, son" lol

hey fansince, how bout this classic? :chuckle:

9Ntn8yfOmIA

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

i love it!

Good one! :thumbsup:

Here's another obvious one and another classic. :jammin:

EkU702NRLco

MACH1
04-09-2009, 12:33 AM
D22M8_jzWgM

Oh wait, wrong kinda spider. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
04-09-2009, 01:01 AM
:sofunny: "...no he cant,

cause hes a pig..."

link doesnt work. embedding disabled by request.

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2009, 03:16 AM
Man i live in Jersey and I have no worries about Scorpians OR Spiders. :fingers: The worst thing id say is a Bee or a Mosquito. I guess everyone gets bothered by mosquitos but damn, mosquitos suck when your in the middle of a football practice or a camp. :ouch:

Preacher
04-09-2009, 03:51 AM
well Tony...

Glad it wasn't anything serious...

However, I AM disappointed in you. I think the Scorpion had a message for you and you just didn't listen....

I have done some research and found it... I think it loved you.!!!

nAxRkf9kQGg

xfl2001fan
04-09-2009, 07:16 AM
well Tony...

Glad it wasn't anything serious...

However, I AM disappointed in you. I think the Scorpion had a message for you and you just didn't listen....

Yeah Tony, he was typing in Morse code...you should learn it and let him conversate with you again.

Preacher
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah Tony, he was typing in Morse code...you should learn it and let him conversate with you again.

Exactly! :chuckle:

tony hipchest
04-09-2009, 10:09 PM
:dang: just splattered another one. oddly enough me and my daughter were sitting here replaying the "baby snakes" video, over and over. she loves it! :thumbsup"

"theyre pink and wet...." :chuckle: (she knows most the words now. hope she doesnt sing it at school)

steelwall
04-10-2009, 06:27 PM
The one that got me was a king scorpion about 7 inches long. I had two of them, Just one day I picked him up and he went berserk on me. He popped me one good time (they are not poisonios but their stingers are huge and it is not a pleasant feeling,

I grabbed his tail all the while he's trying to move it back and forth to keep nailing me, and the bastard grabbed me with one of its pinchers...... like an f'n vice grip.

But watching those 2 go at it was cool as hell, they would throw down with each other for hours,

Hines0wnz
04-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Ouch. I do not mess with those bastards. I've only seen a couple in the wild and saw my first tarantula in the wild last summer. Other times were behind glass.