PDA

View Full Version : What Do James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley Have In Store For An Encore In 2009?

mesaSteeler
04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
What Do James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley Have In Store For An Encore In 2009?
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

N584356236_1159201_7521_tiny by Blitzburgh on Apr 7, 2009 3:42

I'll be honest. I haven't been as emotionally invested in this 2009 offseason for the Pittsburgh Steelers as I have been in recent years.

Why? There's several reasons actually. Firstly and quite honestly, it's really hard and tiresome to write 365 days a year for an intelligent and passionate community while I'm thousands of miles away from the action. it can be done with the help of you all, but it's just hard. Anyway, we had the pedal to the medal on BTSC throughout the season and particularly the playoffs this past year. It was a pretty freakin' amazing year, was it not? Mike Tomlin coming into his own.

The Steelers defense reigning terror on the league for the better part of the entire season. Ben Roethlisberger continuing to add to his late-game and big-moment legacy. In a Vitale-ian reference on college basketball's final evening, there were countless Maalox Mashers. Hell, for y'all veterans of the game day threads, go back and read them some rainy day. You'll get a kick out of the full gauntlet our emotions ran.

Part of it is just a feeling that no matter who makes up the final 5 or so roster slots on our 53 man team in the next several years, Coach Tomlin is going to coach them up. Perhaps naively, I feel Coach Tomlin is going to steer our roster clear of the ups and downs that plague so many talented teams. Don't get me wrong, scouting talent and committing to a long term plan is a big, big part of winning games in the NFL. It's like the league's equivalent of the 90% of life is showing up phenomenon. Still, a part of me is disinterested for the time being as I struggle to imagine this current coach doing anything but keeping his players 100% engaged and believing in something bigger than themselves.

The long of the short of it is, I've needed a break, and thanks to the great work of drinkyourmilkshake plus the draft analysis shared by so many of y'all the site's been lively enough in my emotional hiatus. Thank you for that.

For whatever reason though, yesterday evening I began to think about what the 2009 version of the Steelers defense would look like. I was immediately drawn toward fantasies of how James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley would follow up their record setting 2008 season.

For now, I'll mostly just leave it at that and let you fill in the lines in your mind of the kind of havoc they can collectively create. Below is the list of our 2009 opponents, with their 2008 sacks allowed totals and league ranks included. Yes, we play some teams that were good in pass protection last year, and of course, teams can improve from year to year. Nonetheless, there's some opponents and offensive lines that aren't quite going to have turned the corner, and in some instances won't even be close. That should mean one helluva feast for our two most impressive pass rushing outside linebackers.

Pittsburgh Steelers 2009 Opponents

Team 2008 Sacks Allowed League Rank
Cleveland Browns (2) 24 8th
Cincinnati Bengals (2) 51 30th
Baltimore Ravens (2) 33 18th
Detroit Lions 52 31st
Green Bay Packers 34 19th
Chicago Bears 29 13th
Minnesota Vikings 43 26th
Miami Dolphins 26 10th
Kansas City Chiefs 37 21st
San Diego Chargers 25 9th
Tennessee Titans 12 t-1st
Oakland Raiders 39 24th
Denver Broncos 12 t-1st

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
That's about as well written of a blog as you will ever find.

Good stuff, and definite food for thought...

nicesteel4life
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Would say it all depends on the rage in Harrison.... Will he have that fire because he got a deal or the fire that he still has to prove more? Wodley will be the same but more Seasoned

Fire Haley
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
As long as they can both stay healthy all year I really don't care about their "sack numbers".

IamTheSteelGod
04-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I care about their sackage numbers! If they are sacking that means they are holding a team up, getting respect, and striking fear throughout the league! :blah: keep it up lads! Nothing better than sacking a QB i love it. I just love hitting a QB anyways! :helmet:

Dino 6 Rings
04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
How many sacks would those two have against our Oline?:flap:

SunshineMan21
04-08-2009, 12:38 PM

:popcorn:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
How many sacks would those 2 have against our line? LOL Thats a great question.

BB should be thank ful he doesnt have to worry about it, but it would be like the Titans game times 4.

I think they both will dominate this year but from a more smarter aspect. I think we seen some of it in the superbowl, where Harrison backed off if he was double teamed, dropped back into coverage and Woodley came in untouched. You can not double team both thats for sure.

bigjamesharrison2
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Thats the beauty of a tandem. Double team one, the other one makes the play. Double team both, and you're screwed.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I can't wait to see what the Hellhounds do for an encore.

I can seriously see Strahan's single season sack record fall this year between Harrison, Woodley, Ware, Porter, and Peppers (especially if he's still in Carolina, he will be pissed).

Too bad the Hellhounds can't test out Brady's new knee until the playoffs.

steel9guy
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Woodley and Harrison will kill joe flacco!!!!!!!

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM

GREAT question! It's like "Who would win if Ditka had to fight..........Hurricane Ditka?"

On one hand, the Steelers Oline SHOULD NOT be able to handle the pass rush, but would they be able to hold with impunity against our pass rush like every other team does/did? The refs would be mightily perplexed by this.

Steel_Bus_24
04-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Prediction???

http://www.ninersnation.com/images/admin/clubber.jpg

Pain!!!!!

OX1947
04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Counting Playoffs, Wood and Silverback combined for 34 1/2 sacks. It would be unfair to ask for more because that number is just ridiculous for just 2 players. They out sacked like 10 teams just with their totals.

OX1947
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
:popcorn:

The real question is how many sacks would they have had if the league didn't decide to wait until the Super Bowl to call holding for Silverback. He had 3 or 4 holds each game with no calls. And I'm not talking about the slight holds that all lineman do, I'm talking about arm over neck, impeding his movement with a grab kind of hold.

Galax Steeler
04-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Harrison and Woodley are so fun to watch. It seem like everyplay one or the other is in the backfield making a play. I hope they continue to do this again this year.

FSUBoo
04-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Woodley already holds the record for most consecutive playoff games with multiple sacks with 4. Notice also that every playoff game he has played he has gotten 2 sacks.

steelreserve
04-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Counting Playoffs, Wood and Silverback combined for 34 1/2 sacks. It would be unfair to ask for more because that number is just ridiculous for just 2 players. They out sacked like 10 teams just with their totals.

I honestly wonder if we won't see a little bit of a drop-off from Harrison this year, because let's face it, who can duplicate that every season. Maybe that knocks a little bit off his value and we do the smart thing by waiting until next year to try and re-sign him.

OX1947
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I honestly wonder if we won't see a little bit of a drop-off from Harrison this year, because let's face it, who can duplicate that every season. Maybe that knocks a little bit off his value and we do the smart thing by waiting until next year to try and re-sign him.

The hold up on the Harrison contract is the unknowing situation of the NFL's CBA. One of the stipulations will be a cap of 30% each year on escalating salaries to a player. Which means salaries can not exceed that percentage the following year no matter what. Which makes contracts a little more tricky to do now because you saw so many contracts back loaded with players knowing they would never see the final years of that contract. I agree with this method because it does mislead the market even though everyone knows how the NFL contracts are operated.

Haynesworth is a perfect example. His contract is 100 mil or so but only guaranteed at 48. And that 48 is paid within the first 4 years of the 7 yr contract he was given. It wouldn't matter if Haynesworth had 20 sacks per all 4 years, he would NEVER see 29 million on the 5th year of that contract so it would be restructured or he would be cut.

steelreserve
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
The hold up on the Harrison contract is the unknowing situation of the NFL's CBA. One of the stipulations will be a cap of 30% each year on escalating salaries to a player. Which means salaries can not exceed that percentage the following year no matter what. Which makes contracts a little more tricky to do now because you saw so many contracts back loaded with players knowing they would never see the final years of that contract. I agree with this method because it does mislead the market even though everyone knows how the NFL contracts are operated.

Yeah, I understand that, but my point was that maybe if Harrison has a year with numbers a little down next season, he'll come cheaper, that's all. I really don't think we have enough cap space this year to sign him to a deal worth anything close to what his agent wants, and a lot of that is because of that 30% rule.

That 30% rule doesn't strike me as something that'll be in place long-term, by the way. More like a one-time stopgap because of the uncapped year. The only thing it does is prevent guys like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder from offering contracts that do things like guarantee $1 million in 2009 and $50 million in 2010 -- which would've essentially let them start acting like there was no salary cap THIS year. Once the cap is back in place, I fully expect them to go right back to hugely backloaded fake contracts ... because as long as the cap is in place, those kind of deals really don't do anything except for show. They can go around pretending to pay people $100 million as much as they want, for all I care.