PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek...

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
It's Abrams, so it has potential. I loved "Cloverfield" so why not?

Anyway, first reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Here's a little scuttlebutt...

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/need-to-know-star-trek-crew.html

MACH1
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Previews look good, from what I've seen.

The guy that plays Spok is the same one that plays Sirus(sp) on Heros.

pittsburghp8baller
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
previews looked real good. wasnt a star trek fan growing up, in fact can honestly say ive seen any episodes/movies but i will probably go and see this

Fire Haley
04-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Young nobodies replacing the real stars?

Just let it die.

Make another Serenity flick with the Firefly cast instead.

revefsreleets
04-08-2009, 04:43 PM
You've become a grouchy old man, Spike.

This keeps it all alive, baby! Fresh blood! Ten new movies, 5 of which may be half decent.

Indo
04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
I gotta say...It looks pretty good

When "The Next Generation" came out I HATED the idea of Klingons and children (yes, CHILDREN...) on a StarFleet Vessel----damned unnatural. But it grew on me throughout the series.

Now, seeing different actors playing the classic roles seems just as wrong...but how else will the Legacy continue? Give them a chance, says I.

BTW, did you notice that the dude playing Spock was born in this rough little town where they gots (yes gotS) SIX LOMBARDI TROPHIES. So he can't be all- bad

stlrtruck
04-09-2009, 07:29 AM
The guy that plays Spok is the same one that plays Sirus(sp) on Heros.

First, it's Sylar and he looks like him because it is him. I agree though, it doesn't look right with him playing Spock.

Hammer67
04-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I hated the TV shows, although a few of the movies were good...Wrath of Kahn, for instance.

Nothing beats Shatner...that guy is hilarious, intentional or not.

BrandonCarr39
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Once a big movie buff in the 90's(used to see just about every movie released), I rarely go to the movies anymore(maybe once a year during a holiday/birthday with my family).

Anyhow - the last Star Trek movie I saw was the 3rd one(The Search for Spock) in the mid 80's. I'll admit - this DOES look pretty good. I may see it if I get the chance.

Fire Haley
04-09-2009, 05:56 PM
You've become a grouchy old man, Spike.

That doesn't make me wrong.

We need new erotic horror space adventures, with tentacles....that is the wave of the future.

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 08:24 AM
With all these young guys, perhaps that's exactly how this new series will jump the shark. Abrams does a trilogy of pretty good quality, then they dump the franchise off on some B- movie director to squeeze the last few sheckles out of the name, and Voila! You have your NC-17 tentacled booby flick!

Hines0wnz
04-17-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm looking forward to this one. Different way to tell the story cant hurt as others have said. Plus with the original casts dieing, you cant keep going forward. May is going to be a good movie month I hope.

xfl2001fan
04-17-2009, 06:26 AM
It actually looked pretty decent.

pitt
04-17-2009, 08:30 AM
The trailers look good as a movie in general but not a Star Trek movie. I'm a big fan of the original series and NO ONE can replace Shatner, Nimoy, or Kelly.

Preacher
04-17-2009, 03:57 PM
With all these young guys, perhaps that's exactly how this new series will jump the shark. Abrams does a trilogy of pretty good quality, then they dump the franchise off on some B- movie director to squeeze the last few sheckles out of the name, and Voila! You have your NC-17 tentacled booby flick!

Or you could just START with that... Like Starship troopers!

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Or you could just START with that... Like Starship troopers!

what a trilogy.. lol

the sad thing was the 1st one was actually decent

revefsreleets
04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I liked the first ST!

"Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?"

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/s/images/starship-troopers-1.jpg

trauben
05-11-2009, 02:08 PM
http://screen.ology.com/files/2009/05/star_trek_mirror_images.jpg

I took this in yesterday at the IMAX theater! I give it :thumbsup:!

If you liked the original series back in the day, you'll like that they kept it true to form and true to the characters.

This is a new 'twist' to an old story, and without giving it away, you'll understand what I mean if you see it, about mid-way through.

I recommend it to those that liked the original.

steelpinstripe72
05-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Saw it on Friday and then again last night. McCoy was my favorite. Karl Urban absolutely nailed it.

trauben
05-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Saw it on Friday and then again last night.
LOL -- I didn't want to sound like a nerd, but since you've mentioned you've already seen it twice, I might as well 'fess up!

When my daughter and I walked out of the IMAX we instantly looked at one another and said, "Lets see it again!" So we took it in again on a smaller screen not even 15 minutes after watching it on the IMAX! I recommend seeing it on IMAX first! :popcorn:
McCoy was my favorite. Karl Urban absolutely nailed it.He did, didn't he!! It was fun to watch how they met each other again, and Kirk and Bones played off one another well.
http://parablemania.ektopos.com/Spock2.jpg
I thought that Zach Quintos played Spock really good as well, right down to raising his eyebrow!

Indo
05-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Confession Time:

I have been a Trekkie (or, Trekkor, as the geeks at the Star Trek conventions say---I have been to one...) since I was a child---probably about the same time I started watching the Steelers!

I can't wait to see the new movie...as I have posted before, it took a while for me to get into "The Next Generation", but I ended up loving that , too.

IMO, Karl Urban is a great actor---loved him in The Lord Of The Rings

Indo
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
BTW, love the signature Steelpinstripe72

anyone who quotes Pink Floyd is OK by me...

revefsreleets
05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
The reviewer in the local paper said that before his FIRST screening was even over he was thinking to himself "I'm going to see this again".

Alas, I have yet to see it...maybe this weekend...I'm a Trek fan, but not fanatic, and I liked Abrams work on "Cloverfield" a lot.

steelpinstripe72
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
There is one thing, though - they say that you don't have to be a Star Trek fan to see this movie. If that's the case, then why did the guy two seats down from me keep leaning over and asking me why everyone was laughing? Because clearly, there were a lot of jokes and references aimed directly at the Trekkies in the audience.

Also - for those who haven't seen the movie yet, if or when you go, keep an eye out for the Randy Pausch cameo. It's very "blink and you'll miss it," but it's there. They even gave him a line. The only reason why I caught it was because I was looking.

steelwall
05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Seen it last night better than I expected....

May seem like a stupid observation, but I didn't like Kirk's face looking like he just go his ass kicked before very scene..

Come on Kirk is supposed kick aliens butts...

stlrtruck
05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Come on Kirk is supposed kick aliens butts...

But maybe that's why he kicked all that alien butt as he got older. Because he got it kicked as a youth! Just saying...

Cheppy
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
W-WA90u0f0Y&feature=player_embedded

trauben
05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
There is one thing, though - they say that you don't have to be a Star Trek fan to see this movie. If that's the case, then why did the guy two seats down from me keep leaning over and asking me why everyone was laughing? Because clearly, there were a lot of jokes and references aimed directly at the Trekkies in the audience.
No, you absolutely don't have to be a Star Trek fan to see this movie!

Why were they laughing? There were no "jokes" per se, but when you saw the "mannerisms" and heard the old familiar one-liners associated with each of the characters, it tickled our fond memory banks. It was nostalgic, that's all, and it made us LOL to see it acted out so well while remembering all those classic lines!

Just about everyone nailed their characters, but you didn't have to know the characters previously to enjoy each of their separate personalities and how they clicked.
http://images.zaazu.com/img/spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-large.gif

kittenfantastico76
05-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I absolutely loved this movie... and I'm still shocked that I'm still so hot for Spok... even more so now ;)

stillers4me
05-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I think this sounds great. My sister loved it. I've been saddened to watch the original character growing older and passing away. I love the concept of going backwards with the story with fresh ideas. I loved Star Trek, even the bad movies were fubn to watch.

We may see this on Sunday or maybe Angels and Demons. It's hubby's choice.......tomorrow's his birthday.

The Duke
05-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I gotta say, I have never seen an episode of star trek, yet I still enjoyed it. It's funny how knowing none of the star trek history I still understood the different civilizations, races....

I thought I would be lost at first....

Sylar as Spock= Awesome :thumbsup:

btw, what's the name of the little green creature? his random appearances were too damn funny :chuckle:

steelpinstripe72
05-15-2009, 05:46 PM
btw, what's the name of the little green creature? his random appearances were too damn funny :chuckle:

Scotty's little friend? Keenser. A friend of mine told me this. Definitely a "Why do you know this??" moment, lol.

touchdownward
05-18-2009, 09:44 PM
I saw the movie Saturday and loved it. I liked how it explained how Bones got that nickname.

steelwall
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM
The guy that played Bones definately played his part, but to be totally honest I like all the new characters accept Kirk....

stlrtruck
05-19-2009, 07:03 AM
I saw this past Friday night and thought they did an excellent job of bringing it all together.

The guy that played Spock did an excellent job. I thought I would always see him as Sylar, but he definitely transitioned into his role.