PDA

View Full Version : Plax missteps show Steelers made right call

mesaSteeler
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Plax missteps show Steelers made right call
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/

Posted April 6, 2009 7 :59 PM

Plaxico Burress or Hines Ward?

It wasn't too long ago that the Steelers had to make a choice about which of the two wide receivers to keep.

And everything would have favored Burress on paper. The Steelers had invested a first-round pick in him -- No. 8 overall in the 2000 draft, no less -- and he is the kind of tall, speedy wide receiver that has become the prototype of the position.

As for Ward, he is listed at 6-feet -- listed, mind you - and has never been able to shake the label of possession receiver that, while, minimizing his value, isn't entirely inaccurate.

But more evidence abounded today that the Steelers made the right call in signing Ward, instead of Burress, to a long-term contract following the 2004 season.

Burress, according to the New York Post, recently got pulled over for speeding in Florida and cursed out a police officer. This from a guy who should be on his best behavior considering he is unemployed -- and is still at the mercy of suspension-happy commissioner Roger Goodell because of the absurd incident in which he shot himself in a New York City nightclub.

Burress may have made the game-winning touchdown catch in Super Bowl XLII. But since the Giants pulled off one of the biggest upsets in Super Bowl history and denied the Patriots a perfect season Burress has been unable to stay out of his (or his gun's) own way.

His latest misstep may not be a big one in the grand scheme of things. But, added to his body of work, it makes you wonder how long he is for the NFL.

And it leaves no doubt that the Steelers made the right choice when they picked Ward, who has helped them win two Super Bowls since Burress left Pittsburgh and will one day be a viable candidate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, over Burress.

Preacher
04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Yep Yep and Yep.

Oh, did I mention our FO has no idea what they are doing and that the Rooney's are cheap? :chuckle:

fansince'76
04-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I think the fact that Hines Ward wept for the Bus losing out on another opportunity to go to the SB in the locker room after the 2004 AFCCG while Plexiglass pouted and bitched about "not getting enough touches" (after dropping a sure TD in the same game) and said how he was "as good as gone" at that point helped seal the deal too.

tony hipchest
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
ward was called a "singles hitter" by the PPG and his potential signing was compared to the pirates giving jason kendall $60 mil for 6 years.

:noidea: numerous records and a SB MVP later....

stlrz fan
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Plax was trouble from the beginning. Sadly , he really did have talent. As usual, the Steelers knew when to cut bait.

lilyoder6
04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
i think they made the right call after they won there 1st SB a few yrs ago..

steelreserve
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
ward was called a "singles hitter" by the PPG and his potential signing was compared to the pirates giving jason kendall $60 mil for 6 years.

:noidea: numerous records and a SB MVP later....

Speaking of Jason Kendall, what a jerk. He was making $13 million a year when he came to Oakland and he proceeded to hit, what ... one home run in two years, and hardly throw anyone out. I'm still mad about that idiot.

tyler289
04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
We've won 2 Super Bowls since Plax left and are in great shape for the future, and the Giants have won one and have no released him.

Galax Steeler
04-09-2009, 05:40 AM
A blind man could have seen that they made the right call to dispose of him. He was nothing but trouble and self centerd and selfish.

HometownGal
04-09-2009, 07:34 AM
The Steelers usually have a sixth sense about their players and they were spot on in letting Burress go on to greener pastures.

Hines or Burress? That's a no-brainer. Hines has more class and team 'tude in his pinky finger than Burress has in his entire being.

scsteeler
04-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep Yep and Yep.

Oh, did I mention our FO has no idea what they are doing and that the Rooney's are cheap? :chuckle:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

KeiselPower99
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Never was a fan of Burress and still aint. I find it hilarious that he might serve jailtime for shooting himself.

Edman
04-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I always knew Plax had an upside, but deep down there was something missing from the guy. He had a tendency to take plays off, and play when he felt like it. As we all seen, when Plax feels like playing, there's no stopping him.

He could've easily have been the best WR's in the league. But as usual, he was too much of a headcase. I also remember vividly Plax dissed Pittsburgh a while back as a Giant, saying he didn't get a fair share here and the city is racist/prejudiced. Yes Plax, Pittsburgh is so prejudiced that their most revered sports icons was a hispanic player (Clemente), black player (Mean Joe), and a French Canadian (Lemieux). What a dumbass.

2005 was evidence enough for me that Hines Ward was worth keeping over Plax.

Kaeg
04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Hindsight may be 20/20, but I think a lot of us knew even then that when the choice was made, we made the correct one.

LVSteelersfan
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I never even blinked an eyeball when they let Plax head on out. I hate inconsistent players and that label fits him to the max. Consistency is the name of the game when it comes to QBs and WRs meshing as a unit. That is why I am not sad to see Washington go because of his inconsistent play. The Steelers know what they are doing and we will see Washington turn into another of those players that disappears on another team. Lets hope SWEED gets his act together. Even when Plax had a banner year two years ago, he still wasn't great in every game. Just when he wanted to be.

austinfrench76
04-10-2009, 06:43 PM
F-HIM!

BlastFurnace
04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Plex has freakish skills and size for a receiver....but he is a knucklehead.

If he were serious about his football career and had a heart like Hines, he would be top 3 in the league...easily.

Hines is everything that Plex isn't.

tucker6
04-11-2009, 05:13 AM
I knew Plax was not a real Steeler the moment he spiked the ball after a catch his rookie season, but before he was touched. We lost that fumble. He lives in the moment too much, and takes too much credit when times are good, and not enough blame when times are bad. Those people cannot think about having their head in the game long enough to be a teammate.