PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth etiquette

Hammer67
04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Am I the only one who is annoyed when people leave a Bluetooth headset on their ear when they aren't even on the phone?

Wife and I sat across from a family of four at a nicer restaurant the other day. The dad had a Bluetooth earpiece on his head the entire meal…and he didn't appear to be using it. Doesn't that just seem tacky and self important? Maybe it's just me. I mean, it doesn't hurt anyone, but it could be rude if you are trying to have a conversation with the guy.

:coffee:

revefsreleets
04-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I agree. I think it's a little ghetto to have the thing dangling out of your ear 24/7. But I have been guilty of forgetting about the thing and leaving it in ACCIDENTALLY before.

It is a godsend for both driving and being able to talk while I'm doing other stuff, though...

Hammer67
04-09-2009, 08:09 AM
I agree. I think it's a little ghetto to have the thing dangling out of your ear 24/7. But I have been guilty of forgetting about the thing and leaving it in ACCIDENTALLY before.

It is a godsend for both driving and being able to talk while I'm doing other stuff, though...

Oh absolutely, I have one. It doesn't get much use since I bought the Ford Edge with the Microsoft Sync stuff, which is hands free bluetooth audio in the car, over speakers. All voice activated. THAT is awesome.

MACH1
04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Maybe it was one of those Sonic ear thingymabobs. LOL

steelreserve
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't really care about that ... what's bothersome is when someone's using a Bluetooth and they're either just starting the call or there's a long pause while the person on the other end is talking, and in the meantime they're sitting there looking nonchalant and giving no indication that they're using the phone, maybe even acknowledging you with a nod.

So what inevitably happens is you say hello to them not knowing they're on the phone, and then they get all startled and distracted. Or else they start talking and you think they're talking to you, so YOU get confused, and if you say something back, not only do you both interrupt each other, but they also end up getting startled and distracted from their call.

Usually, this also happens when there's no actual reason for the person to be using Bluetooth, like when they're at a desk or a table with their cell phone right there and a landline phone also within easy reach, so naturally you'd assume that since neither one is in use, they MUST NOT BE ON THE PHONE.

SCSTILLER
04-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Steelreserve, my uncle will start conversations with the people. We went to the beer distributor one day and the guy behind us was talking away on the blue tooth, and he didn't need to be using it because his friend was carrying the beer. So my uncle jumped right into the conversation and starting talking to the guy. I was rolling, but the guy was not amused.

Hammer67
04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Steelreserve, my uncle will start conversations with the people. We went to the beer distributor one day and the guy behind us was talking away on the blue tooth, and he didn't need to be using it because his friend was carrying the beer. So my uncle jumped right into the conversation and starting talking to the guy. I was rolling, but the guy was not amused.

Yeah, that's funny when you don't see the earpiece, you think the people are talking to you!

I only ever used it in the car when I needed my hands to drive.

NJarhead
04-09-2009, 03:26 PM
That's tacky yes, but I HATE when people use it while they're at the register. That's rude.

Preacher
04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Wow we are a bunch of crotchedy old buggers! :chuckle:

The only thing that really bugs me about them is when they are having conversations that SHOULD be private-- but they are having them loud enough for the world to hear!

NJarhead
04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Wow we are a bunch of crotchedy old buggers! :chuckle:

The only thing that really bugs me about them is when they are having conversations that SHOULD be private-- but they are having them loud enough for the world to hear!

I dunno Preach. Sometimes their conversations are more interesting than what I may be doing at that time. :laughing:

Preacher
04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I dunno Preach. Sometimes their conversations are more interesting than what I may be doing at that time. :laughing:

:buttkick:

NJarhead
04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
:buttkick:

:chuckle: What?

stlrtruck
04-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Etiquette? It seems in today's society the only etiquette is what serves the individual.

NJarhead
04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Etiquette? It seems in today's society the only etiquette is what serves the individual.

DING! DING! DING! Winner!