PDA

View Full Version : Four more college players visit Steelers

Galax Steeler
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Three cornerbacks and one outside linebacker are visiting the Steelers today as they continue to inspect college draft prospects.

The cornerbacks are Donald Washington of Ohio State, Don Carey of Norfolk State and Sherrod Martin of Troy. Lawrence Sidbury, an outside linebacker from Richmond, joined them at the Steelers UPMC training facility.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09099/961764-100.stm

revefsreleets
04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Telling you, they are high on Washington. He's polished, good speed, nice size...I think he'd be a nice pick-up for the Steelers...

St33lersguy
04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Telling you, they are high on Washington. He's polished, good speed, nice size...I think he'd be a nice pick-up for the Steelers...

What round is he projected to go?

Also what's up with visiting the OLB from Richmond. Are the Steelers trying to find 3rd stringers at the position

Texasteel
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
What round is he projected to go?

Also what's up with visiting the OLB from Richmond. Are the Steelers trying to find 3rd stringers at the position

Sidbury would be a legitimate pick for depth at that position. He will most likely go in the 3rd, maybe 4th round and is similar in size, speed and strength to Woodley. He may ever be a bit quicker. This pick may say more about our depth than anything else. Is the Harrison situation starting to worry them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Yeah, they must have liked what they saw at the pro day. Maybe a guy they look to get in the 4th round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Sidbury would be a legitimate pick for depth at that position. He will most likely go in the 3rd, maybe 4th round and is similar in size, speed and strength to Woodley. He may ever be a bit quicker. This pick may say more about our depth than anything else. Is the Harrison situation starting to worry them.

Yeah, the more I hear of OLB prospects visiting, the more I wish we didnt draft Bruce Davis last year and instead got an OT with the 3rd round pick. Then we could look at a guy like Veikune, English or Sidbury in this years draft.

revefsreleets
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Washington has been ALL over the place, I mean crazy projections. I've seen as high as low 2, and as low as FA.

His stock is rising, though...4-5?

Maybe as high as late 3? Guess who picks late in the 3rd?

SunshineMan21
04-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I like Washington, especially because if we're looking at him that means we're probably not going corner in round one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Washington has been ALL over the place, I mean crazy projections. I've seen as high as low 2, and as low as FA.

His stock is rising, though...4-5?

Maybe as high as late 3? Guess who picks late in the 3rd? Yeah, maybe late 3. I even thought of the idea that if there was somebody else deemed a better athlete in the 3rd..........the Steelers could always try and package their 4th and 5th, then move up in the 4th and try to get Washington if he is there. They still have that compensatory 5th.

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 09:52 AM
The thing about Washington is he's like Marcus Freeman in that he's really only a tick off the super hyped starter on OSU (He is to Malcolm Jenkins what Freeman is to Laurinaitis).

But there really isn;t that much of a drop-off in either case. Washington is good enough to play nickel, dime and ST this year and challenge to start next.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I think Freeman fits more at weakside LB in a 4-3. Kind of reminds me a bit of Ernie Simms.

I really dont think Freeman is a fit with the Steelers, but Washington fits the bill with a few other round 3-4 CB's that will be available. I hope its a sign they are looking at the lines on day 1 and cb at the start of day 2.

MasterOfPuppets
04-10-2009, 11:06 PM
I think Freeman fits more at weakside LB in a 4-3. Kind of reminds me a bit of Ernie Simms.

I really dont think Freeman is a fit with the Steelers, but Washington fits the bill with a few other round 3-4 CB's that will be available. I hope its a sign they are looking at the lines on day 1 and cb at the start of day 2. i would think freeman would be an ILBer in a 3-4 ....:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2009, 11:09 AM
i would think freeman would be an ILBer in a 3-4 ....:noidea:

Here's some analysis that kind of points out he may not be best suited as an ILB. I dont think you want a guy that has a reputation as "likes to avoid blockers rather than facing them up" on the inside.

Strong performances at the Fiesta Bowl and throughout Senior Bowl week reaffirmed scouts' initial impressions of the athletic weak-side linebacker.

Reliable open-field tackler. … Breaks down well and can drive the ballcarrier into the ground. … Likes to avoid blockers rather than facing them up and struggles in disengaging. … Lacks the bulk to hold up when targeted in the running game.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/502734

St33lersguy
04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Is the Harrison situation starting to worry them.

I seriously doubt it, word is they're close to a new contract

devilsdancefloor
04-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I seriously doubt it, word is they're closing in on contract agreements

they have been closing in on a agreement since the end of the season.

revefsreleets
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Too reliant on others and not enough on empirical data.

Freeman could EASILY make the switch to ANY 3-4 LB spot.

Lacks bulk? He's 6'1" 242. He's bigger than Timmons, and the same size as Farrior and Foote (all ILB's). He's VERY strong against the run and can pass rush as well. His original knock was speed, but dude is fast for a LB. His only downside may be coverage skills. As far as shedding blocks, a guy that fast can evade blocks any way he likes. If he sheds them by dodging them rather than allowing himself to be blocked, what does it matter? His numbers speak for themselves. The dude is just a tick of Lil Animal. He's a solid LB candidate...I'd LOVE to have him in the B&G!

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
like anything else.. freeman will prob have a hard time adjusting like evryone else.. and prob start producin late in his rookie yr like woodly did.. if u sit the kid down and teach him the system.. he will be a good lb..
i would not at all be angry with that selection... i would def like having a solid 3/4 lb's that are young..

revefsreleets
04-13-2009, 12:04 PM
LB is not an immediate need, but it would be sweet to have a kid like this who could sit and play situationally, absorb the game in chunks instead of whole, and eventually be groomed to replace a guy like Farrior...