PDA

View Full Version : ProFootballTalk.com's Florio says team should trade James Harrison

mesaSteeler
04-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Steeler report: ProFootballTalk.com's Florio says team should trade James Harrison
April 9, 4:20 AM · Add a Comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d9-Steeler-report-ProFootballTalkcoms-Florio-says-team-should-trade-James-Harrison

Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH - When it comes to coverage of the NFL, without a doubt, Mike Florio is the guru.

The West Virginia native best known for his work onProFootballTalk.Com is a source beat writers from around the league use as a reference. If there's something happening, or about to be pulled, it’s in his site.

It's a reason I find his latest column in the Sporting News, ‘Off Season Trades that should be made’ very intriguing.AP FILE PHOTO/James Harrison

His No.1 trade to be made? Steeler linebacker James Harrison.

The Steelers have made it known that a priority of the team heading into the free-agency period is to get a long-term deal done with linebacker James Harrison, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

But here is what Florio had to say

" I'll wait for a minute while all Steelers fans pull their chins out of their coffee.

OK. Ready?

Harrison is entering the final year of his contract. He's on the wrong side of 30. He plays a position that traditionally has been viewed as fungible in the Steelers' 3-4 defense.

So why not get real value for him now, instead of a fifth-round compensatory pick in 2011 after he leaves as a free agent in March 2010?

The Steelers have shown they're not inclined to use the franchise tag as a precursor for trading a player, or they would have done it last year and gotten as much as a second-round pick for Alan Faneca.

The smarter approach, then, might be to move Harrison to a new team now, let someone else overpay him as he enters the back end of his prime, and reload at outside linebacker."

Florio does make some very good points.

Yet while some of them make sense, don't expect it to happen. Steeler director of football operations Kevin Colbert told reporters at owners meetings that he felt a deal would get done with Harrison.

"It's everybody's goal here, them and us, to secure James Harrison long-term," Colbert said recently. “So long as we don't lose sight of that fact we'll get a deal done that's satisfactory to both sides."

And Harrison's agent Bill Parise told the Lancaster Intelligencer Journal this, when asked about Harrison.

"James has won two rings there, and we believe there is a chance to get who knows, maybe one or two more," Parise said. "I also think you have to look at the Steelers as a whole. They are one of the classiest organizations in the NFL, and then you also have to look at their style of play. James is a very physical football player and the Steelers are a very physical team."

In 2008, Harrison made a reported base salary of $1.2 million — the third year of a four-year deal signed in April 2006 when he was a backup, and it is a steal by NFL standards.

The total worth of the contract was $5.5 million before incentives, including a $1.375 million signing bonus. Harrison is set to earn $1.4 million in the 2009 season, his final year under contract.

To put that in perspective, the average salary of the top five paid linebackers in the league in 2008 was $8.3 million.

But what if a contract can't be inked out? Do the Steelers let him play out his last year of the contract and then slap a franchise tag on him the following? Or do they follow Florio's lead and ship him off while he is still a hot commodity?

fansince'76
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
When it comes to coverage of the NFL, without a doubt, Mike Florio is the guru.

Good grief. :rolleyes:

NJarhead
04-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Good grief. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

The Duke
04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Florio??

I'm not even gonna waste my time

Hammer67
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Um, wow. There would be a revolt in Steeler Nation if you let this guy go. Age aside, he is IN HIS PRIME RIGHT NOW!

KeiselPower99
04-09-2009, 10:07 PM
He may be on the other side of 30 but he has only been a starter for 2 years. Plenty of football left in his tank.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
So why not get real value for him now, instead of a fifth-round compensatory pick in 2011 after he leaves as a free agent in March 2010?

Maybe they look at paying $1.2million for the 2008 DPOY and $1.4 million this year as "value". Then if they franchise him next year, the 3 year average will still be a bargain.

But, yeah..........why give a contract to a guy on the wrong side if 30. Looks like Joey Porter, James Farrior, Junior Seau, Mike Vrabel, Derrick Brooks and tons of other LB's were still effective into their mid 30's.

Florio makes Don Banks look like a football guru. :doh:

CPanther95
04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
He's probably got 3 great years left. It would have been 5 had it not been for that 100 yard Pick 6.

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2009, 11:36 PM
He's probably got 3 great years left. It would have been 5 had it not been for that 100 yard Pick 6.

:laughing:

tony hipchest
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
i dont think florio really understands the fair market trade value either. its not like harrison would bring a jay cutler type of blockbuster deal.

if jay cutler were thrown into this years draft he would, hands down, be the #1 pick by the detroit lions. no questions asked. instead they may go with matt stafford who may or may not be a bust.

if harrison were in this draft, they still might go with stafford, or curry, or a lineman (or even wr for that matter).

a player like l. timmons would be an immediate starter on the 49ers or lions, whereas a player like p. willis, or e. simms, might still be playing back-up on the steelers.

point is, harrison is much more valuable to us than any other team.

devilsdancefloor
04-09-2009, 11:57 PM
he needs to put down the crack pipe! harrison is so valuable to us heis a beast and on the plus side of things he knows our system very well.

Galax Steeler
04-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Harrison isn't going any where. I look for him to be signed before the draft.

scsteeler
04-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Harrison isn't going any where. I look for him to be signed before the draft.

Yes he will be signed. Harrison wants to be a Steeler for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Actually, if this was Harrison's 5th or 6th year as a starter, this MIGHT make some sense, but he's a young 31, and he's JUST RIGHT NOW peaking!

Florio is an idiot, and PFT is the biggest POS site for news on the net.

MDSteel15
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I see a 3 year $18 million deal.... at most! :coffee:

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Because we can franchise him for the next two years after that and still be paying less than market value. During one of them, he'll probably only get 8 sacks, or he'll be slowed with a nagging shoulder injury and miss a couple games, and we'll be able to get him for a good 30-40% off his current market price. Signing him now means we're locking in the pay level for a career year, without any guarantee of a repeat performance of the career year.

Fire Haley
04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
More proof Florio is an idiot and anyone that uses PFT as a "source" should be banned.

Crushzilla
04-10-2009, 01:16 PM
More proof Florio is an idiot and anyone that uses PFT as a "source" should be banned.

I use it as a source.

Especially since he gives another source as "back-up." When he does post a purely "rumor" situation he generally offers up a disclaimer.

I never did understand the Florio-hate that goes on 'round here.

As far as his point goes, it isn't a crazy notion. I don't think it will or should happen, but it would make sense if the Steelers couldn't/won't resign him.

I think (hope) Harrison wants to stay as much as we want him. He has to realize that former Steelers linebackers go off to the elephant graveyard after they leave here, and a majority of his success is because he fits beautifully in our system.

I think a lot of the maneuvering that has happened in the negotiations is only because there is a lot of time to get the deal done. Both sides are weary to leap into a contract this early in the discussion.

A team WOULD take a flier on Harrison for probably way too much money, so a trade could happen. No. The Steelers wouldn't get Cutler value, but they would be compensated better than what they would get from the NFL (probably something at the end of the fourth round).

There was a lot of clamoring about why the Steelers didn't try to move Faneca when it became clear that his days were numbered. How's this any different?

(I also realize a lot of us didn't think Faneca should have been traded, either... I'm one of them. Devil's advocate...)

Crushzilla
04-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Because we can franchise him for the next two years after that and still be paying less than market value. During one of them, he'll probably only get 8 sacks, or he'll be slowed with a nagging shoulder injury and miss a couple games, and we'll be able to get him for a good 30-40% off his current market price. Signing him now means we're locking in the pay level for a career year, without any guarantee of a repeat performance of the career year.

Hmm.

I wouldn't be opposed to this plan. It's not exactly "player-friendly," but James would get a nice chunk of change during those two franchise seasons for his trouble.

St33lersguy
04-10-2009, 01:26 PM
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Florio is a dumbf*** who should stop talking about football. He actually gets paid to write crap like this

Fire Haley
04-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I use it as a source

That's why you're on the list.

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmm.

I wouldn't be opposed to this plan. It's not exactly "player-friendly," but James would get a nice chunk of change during those two franchise seasons for his trouble.

Yeah, that's definitely not the way I'd want to see it actually go down -- it certainly wouldn't win us any friends or make us look good, that's for sure.

But on the other hand, it IS something Harrison's agent ought to really be more aware of: We hold all the cards this time. So maybe he shouldn't be so quick to scoff if we offer $6-$7 million a year, because if he keeps insisting on some 6-year, $65 million bullshit, it just isn't happening -- $6 million a year is what his client's going to get anyway, and he'll probably get himself fired, because you don't really need an agent to negotiate a franchise tag.

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Sometimes the National Enquirer gets it right.

Most times they don't.

Florio = NE of NFL

Crushzilla
04-10-2009, 06:40 PM
That's why you're on the list.

"The Drive" referenced it as a source when discussing Lefty today.

Florio has also appeared on the NFL Network.

What the hell does ESPN and the NFL know anyway about football... :wink02:

I know it's hard to read a football blog and pick through the bullsh*t, but I guess that's one of the disadvantages of not reading everything as if it's gospel.

steel striker
04-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Once again that guy has lost his mind if he thinks the steelers are going to trade Harrison. This just in Harrison is very good and the defensive player of the year so, this clown says we should trade him some expert he is. lol

MongoSteeler
04-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Brilliant plan, I can't imagine why the Steelers front office didn't think of that themselves.

Fire Haley
04-11-2009, 11:25 AM
"The Drive" referenced it as a source when discussing Lefty today.

Florio has also appeared on the NFL Network..

yeah - as the rumor mill guy - he looks even more like a jerk on camera

I say screw all these so-called "experts".

I said the Browns would suck while all the "experts" this time last year had them winning the division and making the playoffs.

Bow down to me

The Definiti0n
04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Um, wow. There would be a revolt in Steeler Nation if you let this guy go. Age aside, he is IN HIS PRIME RIGHT NOW!

This I agree with. Since he stepped in Porters spot there hasn't been a better outside lineback in the NFL. I still remeber the ass raping he gave the the Ratbirds and McNair on Monday night a couple of years ago.

St33lersguy
04-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I guess dumbf*** Florio didn't realize that the Steelers & Silverback are close to a new contract

SteelCityMan786
04-11-2009, 02:16 PM
PFT=Don't Waste My Time.