PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Team offers Leftwich 2-year deal

mesaSteeler
04-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Steelers Notebook: Team offers Leftwich 2-year deal
Friday, April 10, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09100/961928-66.stm

The Steelers issued a contract offer this week to quarterback Byron Leftwich, who spent yesterday visiting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The two-year offer from the Steelers is close to minimum wage for Leftwich, according to sources familiar with the negotiations. The minimum for him would be $620,000 in 2009 and $755,000 in '10.

Leftwich, though, prefers a one-year contract if he returns to the Steelers. He signed a one-year contract with them in August after Charlie Batch's clavicle was broken in a preseason game.

Leftwich and Batch are unrestricted free agents, and coach Mike Tomlin said he'd like to have both return. Batch has continued to work out with the Steelers this spring; Leftwich has been working out in Florida.

Leftwich's visit to the Buccaneers was his second in less than a week. He visited the Washington Redskins Friday.

4 more guests

Three cornerbacks and one outside linebacker visited the Steelers yesterday as they continue to inspect draft prospects. The cornerbacks were Donald Washington of Ohio State, Don Carey of Norfolk State and Sherrod Martin of Troy. Lawrence Sidbury, an outside linebacker from Richmond, joined them at the Steelers' UPMC training facility.

Former Steeler acquitted

Former Steelers tight end Jonathan Dekker has been acquitted of an obstruction of justice charge in Virginia, but it still proved costly.

Dekker was arrested after an incident in Alexandria's Old Town Jan. 24, a week before the Super Bowl. He was on the Steelers' injured-reserve list at the time and, after his arrest, he was not permitted to join his teammates in Tampa. The Steelers dropped him after the season.

According to The Associated Press, the charge against him was lodged after he fled police and gave them a false name after they caught him. An officer had told Dekker he was going to arrest him for public drunkenness, and the player said he ran because he did not want to distract the Steelers by getting arrested.
Schedule comes out Tuesday

The NFL announced that it will release its entire 2009 schedule Tuesday.
First published on April 10, 2009 at 12:00 am

tony hipchest
04-10-2009, 12:34 AM
wow. talk about a low ball offer.

DET, TB, NYJ, MIN = all stupid.

you know how much i wish we had a former top 10 draft pick and previous starter like him, to pluck on the cheap when we were trotting out the likes of tomczak, graham, and maddox?

fair market for a top notch back up of his calibur is probably a 2 year deal for $5.5 mil (with $3 mil guaranteed).

however we have the upper hand in negotiations.

nobody else is offering him shit this year.
nobody offered him shit last year.
we gave him a ring.
charlie batch.
hes admitted pgh is someplace special.

we better up the ante or he will be a partiot as soon as they sniff out our lowball offer, with hopes of trading him for a 3rd round pick after next season (and we know they will get it).

T Bradshaw
04-10-2009, 12:39 AM
He is a career loser

The man is stoopid if he does not sign

tony hipchest
04-10-2009, 12:50 AM
He is a career loser

not really

The Definiti0n
04-10-2009, 12:54 AM
it would be great to have him as insurance

KeiselPower99
04-10-2009, 01:15 AM
He is better then 5 or 6 of the current starters in this league. Their loss is gonna be our gain.

Steel-Bryan
04-10-2009, 03:13 AM
He is a career loser

:doh:

Galax Steeler
04-10-2009, 06:50 AM
I would love to see Leftwich sign for two years. I just think he is our better option right now.

HometownGal
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
He is a career loser

Leftwich is one of the best, if not THE best, backup QB's in the NFL. I'd take him over BOtch any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Well, hey - at least Lefty knows how to spell a word he probably learned in the 1st grade. :coffee:

On the subject of the Steelers offer to him - I'm shocked. BOtch makes almost $2 mil per season for God's sake!! :jawdrop:

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 10:00 AM
That's not how I expected this to go.

We will carry 4 QB's this year? With Batch and Lefty only being able to play QB, that means we have GOT to do something with Dixon. We don't need 3 guys carrying around clipboards on the sidelines...

Michael Keller
04-10-2009, 10:24 AM
This is not a tough decision. Sign Leftwich . Come on !!!

We are a Super Bowl team with a QB that gets hit way too much. Find a career opptortunity for Batch. Get it down. Move on .

scsteeler
04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
He is a career loser

I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion. It would serve Leftwich better to be a backup with a winning team for now. Most teams are looking more at younger QB's given the success over the past few years that guys like Big Ben, Ryan, & Flacco have had starting in their first year.

KeiselPower99
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Im really suprised Tampa didnt jump on him. Secondly ALL the issues Byron might have with his throwing delivery was well known before he was a 7th overall selection in 2003. Maybe they think McCown Griese or Josh Johnson may be the guy the need at qb.

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
He is better then 5 or 6 of the current starters in this league.

More than that. He would probably be an upgrade at starting QB for at least:

SF
KC
OAK (yeah, I'm saying Russell is a bust)
DEN
MIN
NYJ
DET
SEA (because Hasselbeck = getting too old)
CLE
TB
JAX (all I can say is ... LOL)

plus, he's probably in the same ballpark as the starter, but cheaper, for WAS, STL, HOU ... and could be pretty useful to the Bengals because their heroic QB seems to have a glass jaw and always misses at half the season. The Bills seem to have the same problem too.

In light of that, and the dirt-cheap price we've been paying him, I am pretty much shocked that nobody's snapped him up yet.

SC Steeler Steve
04-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Give me Lefty, I think he is definitly a big time plus to our team...

devilsdancefloor
04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
That's not how I expected this to go.

We will carry 4 QB's this year? With Batch and Lefty only being able to play QB, that means we have GOT to do something with Dixon. We don't need 3 guys carrying around clipboards on the sidelines...

ive been think WR since they drafted him, but :noidea::noidea:

St33lersguy
04-10-2009, 02:32 PM
He's a decent option at backup. Besides he's the 2nd greatest QB the Steelers have had in the post Bradshaw era behind Big Ben

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I know its going to take a while, but i think it's imperative that we sign him for at least two years. A one year deal isnt going to help us when FA opens up after the '09 season :doh:

That'd be nice, but if it's a one-year deal, I'd still consider it a huge victory that we were lucky enough to get him back at all. If he leaves after the '09 season, that's one more year than I expected him to be here, and any time he stays is helping us in the meantime.

Besides, given another year, maybe Dixon will actually be ready for backup duty and this won't matter. Who knows.

steelerdave1969
04-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I am definitely one the ones that would like to see him return, but not Leftwich and Batch

Curtain_of_Steel
04-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Well I'm glad the guy who said you heard it here "2 years 5mill" is not on the steelers list of football consultants.

Why would they pay more when no one is making an offer? Bid against themselves? That is not Steeler football.

Good job FO

KeiselPower99
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Well I'm glad the guy who said you heard it here "2 years 5mill" is not on the steelers list of football consultants.

Why would they pay more when no one is making an offer? Bid against themselves? That is not Steeler football.

Good job FO

I said that because of what Batch was making as our backup.

fansince'76
04-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Leftwich and Batch are unrestricted free agents, and coach Mike Tomlin said he'd like to have both return.

Makes me a bit concerned about Dixon's ability to play QB at the NFL level at all....

revefsreleets
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
There are back-ups making 4 mil a year.

Lefty is a former #7 overall pick who is a proven winner. It would stand to reason in most years that someone would pick him up and pay him handsomely. Not this year, but that's a great thing...it plays into the Steelers hands. If we are actually able to sign both Lefty and Batch, we'd have two former starters as back-ups.

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I said that because of what Batch was making as our backup.

Yeah, except it was more like 3 years $4.2 mil, not 2 years $5 mil. You got the years lower and the money higher.

LVSteelersfan
04-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Batch needs to just retire if we sign Leftwitch. We don't need to carry 4 QBs and Batch is beyond his useful years as an NFL player. We should offer Leftwitch Batch's money and just get rid of Batch.

BlastFurnace
04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Yup, i agree! Even with another year under his belt, i wouldnt be comfortable with Dixon filling in for Ben. That's why id like a two year deal, not one year deal done. I dont know about you guys :noidea:

Admittedly, I didn't like the Dixon pick because of my fear of going back to the Kordell days (if Ben was injured)...run first QB...pass 2nd...that good defenses can pidgeonhole.

I really have no idea if Dixon can play or not. I'm curious if he could do a Slash role for us...and if he would be happy doing that.

I know I am comfortable with Leftwich. Hopefully, he comes back.

SteelersMongol
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
wow. talk about a low ball offer.

DET, TB, NYJ, MIN = all stupid.

you know how much i wish we had a former top 10 draft pick and previous starter like him, to pluck on the cheap when we were trotting out the likes of tomczak, graham, and maddox?

fair market for a top notch back up of his calibur is probably a 2 year deal for $5.5 mil (with $3 mil guaranteed).

however we have the upper hand in negotiations.

nobody else is offering him shit this year.
nobody offered him shit last year.
we gave him a ring.
charlie batch.
hes admitted pgh is someplace special.

we better up the ante or he will be a partiot as soon as they sniff out our lowball offer, with hopes of trading him for a 3rd round pick after next season (and we know they will get it).

Agreed. &
JAX = (also) stupid

HometownGal
04-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Batch needs to just retire if we sign Leftwitch. We don't need to carry 4 QBs and Batch is beyond his useful years as an NFL player. We should offer Leftwitch Batch's money and just get rid of Batch.

I totally agree, except that I think Charlie could be quite useful as a coach. He isn't going to get Kenny Anderson's job, but I'm sure the Steelers could fit him in somewhere.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Batch made 1.6mill this past year year as per this site.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/salary-cap

Leftwhich signed a 605k contract for us last year.
Batch should be gone and unless BL is getting an offer we should be concerned about, why over pay. the market has dictated his value.

TackleMeBen
04-11-2009, 01:06 AM
he did visit the redskins, and we all know how snyder overpays for players. i wouldnt be surprise to see him there.

NV STEELERS 723
04-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I would be very happy with Lefty as as Ben's backup...but could our OF line pick him up and carry him down the field to the next play???????????? .....lol

fansince'76
04-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I would be very happy with Lefty as as Ben's backup...but could our OF line pick him up and carry him down the field to the next play???????????? .....lol

:screwy:???

He's referring to a game in college where Leftwich broke his leg and his OL carried him down the field between plays:

U-jzYMSiNHQ

Steelman16
04-11-2009, 01:13 PM
"...an absolute Herculean effort by Byron Leftwich..."

:chuckle:

KeiselPower99
04-11-2009, 02:15 PM
He's referring to a game in college where Leftwich broke his leg and his OL carried him down the field between plays:

U-jzYMSiNHQ

That right there was one of the most couragous acts on the football field I have ever seen. I witnessed that firsthand.

triphahn
04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
A happy player is a productive player and if Leftwich is more or less forced into signing a minimum contract when the time comes he may not be as productive as he could be.

IamTheSteelGod
04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
A happy player is a productive player and if Leftwich is more or less forced into signing a minimum contract when the time comes he may not be as productive as he could be.

Yep I agree, however he could have no job atall. I would take the wonga and play.:noidea:

KeiselPower99
04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Did he really play through a broken leg?

Basically yea it was. The Akron player came in and his helmet hit Byrons shin. It was a fracture in the shin bone. To be honest Ive heard from some people that his leg did not heal for close to a year. On a side note the next game for Marshall after this was against Miami and a qb named Roethlisberger that was highly hyped that Byron didnt play and many say that hurt Byrons heisman chances.

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Well guys the love affair is over. Michael Smith from ESPN is reporting Byron has agreed to a 2 yr deal with Tampa. Ill get the link and story and post in a few.

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Free-agent quarterback Byron Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

Leftwich

The Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers also were interested in Leftwich, who joins a depth chart in Tampa that includes Luke McCown, Josh Johnson, and Brian Griese.

Leftwich, 29, a first-round draft pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars out of Marshall in 2003, won a Super Bowl ring last season as a backup with the Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pounder has started just eight games since 2006, his last season with the Jaguars. He played for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007.

Leftwich passed for 303 yards with two touchdowns in five appearances with the Steelers last season as Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212

Fire Haley
04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
ESPN's Michael Smith reports the Bucs have agreed to terms with free agent QB Byron Leftwich on a two-year contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Galax Steeler
04-12-2009, 10:37 AM
ESPN's Michael Smith reports the Bucs have agreed to terms with free agent QB Byron Leftwich on a two-year contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Sorry Killer I didn't know you already had it posted I just posted it in the nfl forum.

Preacher
04-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Ahhh Dangit.

Oh well. Good luck Lefty!!!

OneForTheToe
04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Does Jeff George still want to come back? .:wink02: :laughing:

Batch for one more year, then Dixon.

Good luck Lefty.

steelerchad
04-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Damn. this hurts our depth.

tucker6
04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Damn. this hurts our depth.

Eh, not really in my opinion. It IS a backup position, and one Batch has filled admirably in the past. The Steelers treated Lefty exactly as he should have been treated. He is a backup QB, and if he doesn't sign, the position will be given to someone willing to fill the role at the price needed. This will be a non-story tomorrow, and three years from now, someone will have to remind us that Lefty used to be a Steeler at one time.

Fire Haley
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry Killer I didn't know you already had it posted I just posted it in the nfl forum.

Don't worry - there will be six dozen new threads by the time I post this.

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Don't worry - there will be six dozen new threads by the time I post this.

I posted first so you copied me lol