PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Deal Close

Blackvette
04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh is reporting that the Steelers and LB James Harrison are "very close" to agreeing on a new contract.

According to Harrison's agent, the deal could be announced as soon as early next week. The length is unknown, but the total value is expected to be around $45 million. The reigning Defensive Player of the Year turns 31 next month, so it's a good bet that his new contract will be front-loaded.

Source: CBS 2 Pittsburgh

Steelman16
04-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Dang. If I was the FO I would wait til next year.

Sharkissle29
04-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Woooooooo. Im guessing its about a 4-5 year deal

Dino 6 Rings
04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
but I thought all the "experts" were telling us to trade him?

Oh right...the Steelers don't pay attention to outside influences and do their business the same way they always have...

6 Rings...and counting.

St33lersguy
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
What about cap space, I heard the Steelers don't have too much room like around 4 mil under.

tyler289
04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Great news. Hopefully it gets done before the draft.

Preacher
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
What about cap space, I heard the Steelers don't have too much room like around 4 mil under.

Load it up with bonuses, and they don't hit until the nextyear. Put a signing bonus on it, and it is spread through a few years. Next year is an uncapped year. For some reason, I think there is a little bump in the bonus to be paid to him next year.

Either way, Come on FO!!

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Load it up with bonuses, and they don't hit until the nextyear.

Except this year, when the bonuses all count up front this year whether you're likely to get them or not, and can't be pushed into the uncapped year because of the 30% rule. It'll be interesting to see how they do this, unless it involves cutting Foote (which I would hate) or Parker (which I wouldn't). Maybe we'll see them announce they got some of Starks' bloated salary down by signing him to a new deal too.

If it really is anywhere near $45 million, we must have either felt generous or his agent must practice some kind of dark magic for persuasion, because we could've realistically held on to his services for three more years for about a third of that.

St33lersguy
04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Finally a deal is close. I've been waiting for SB to get the money he deserves especially considering what lesser players will make this year (like worthless Domonique Foxworth making $7 mil ,not saying they should pay SB more money it's just an example). Also will be great to see him locked up for the rest of his great years

SteelCityMan786
04-10-2009, 08:11 PM

I heard they had 20 million.

beSteelmyheart
04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I was just wondering about him today for some reason..
I hope they can get it done, I'd hate to see him go.

HometownGal
04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
This man deserves to be rewarded for his outstanding play since he's become a starter. :thumbsup:

C'mon FO - give Silverback the moola! :drink:

steelreserve
04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I heard they had 20 million.

HAD. They HAD $20 million. Then they blew it all in the space of three days giving huge raises to Starks, Kemo and Colon. And signing a few shitheads like Carey Davis to million-dollar deals.

Now they have like a million or two left after you count what you have to pay the rookies. Like I said earlier, I'm curious to see how they're going to pull this off, short of cutting someone else important. Except for Parker, who really doesn't count as "important" anymore.

Edman
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Harrison has more than earned his money. Among the most dominant pass rushers in the league next to Ware.

tony hipchest
04-10-2009, 10:51 PM
HAD. They HAD $20 million. Then they blew it all in the space of three days giving huge raises to Starks, Kemo and Colon. And signing a few shitheads like Carey Davis to million-dollar deals.

Now they have like a million or two left after you count what you have to pay the rookies. Like I said earlier, I'm curious to see how they're going to pull this off, short of cutting someone else important. Except for Parker, who really doesn't count as "important" anymore.theyre still anywhere up to $4-6 mil under the cap. (the 4 mil figure pretty much takes into account the $2 mil or so cap value that will be charged to rookies).

harrisons $1.3 (or so, cap value is already accounted for) will be his base salary, or it can actually be lowered to vet minimum, rolling out his bonus over the course of his contract. harrison most definitely will not count any additional money to THIS YEARS cap (unless they happen to have any extra room remaining they wish to chew up).

nobody will be getting cut, simply because the steelers have mismanaged their funds. they are 10X smarter than that. we were in the EXACT same situation last season and were able to extend farrior and went to the "bank of ike taylor" to restructure a deal.

were actually in better shape this season. in really good shape considering we always have the 'bank of ben" we can tap into. i doubt we would this soon, but the "bank of manning" has proven to be a solid source for the colts.

although we're in good shape, it does come at a price. this year it just so happened to be bryant mcfadden.

cant win em all.

TackleMeBen
04-10-2009, 11:03 PM
i think i would rather have harrison than mcfadden.

tony hipchest
04-10-2009, 11:30 PM
i think i would rather have harrison than mcfadden.
yeah, gay was effective in stepping in and replacing mcfadden on series last year. nobody was replacing james for an entire series (and thats not even counting his ST contributions).

in a sense we are looking to replace gay now as a dime back as opposed to replacing mcfadden as a starter.

its really a no brainer.

TackleMeBen
04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
i have liked gay since he made that hit in the hall of fame game that year. the one where he laid that guy out. i cant remember who we were playing though.

OneForTheToe
04-11-2009, 02:16 AM
theyre still anywhere up to $4-6 mil under the cap. (the 4 mil figure pretty much takes into account the $2 mil or so cap value that will be charged to rookies).

harrisons $1.3 (or so, cap value is already accounted for) will be his base salary, or it can actually be lowered to vet minimum, rolling out his bonus over the course of his contract. harrison most definitely will not count any additional money to THIS YEARS cap (unless they happen to have any extra room remaining they wish to chew up).

nobody will be getting cut, simply because the steelers have mismanaged their funds. they are 10X smarter than that. we were in the EXACT same situation last season and were able to extend farrior and went to the "bank of ike taylor" to restructure a deal.

were actually in better shape this season. in really good shape considering we always have the 'bank of ben" we can tap into. i doubt we would this soon, but the "bank of manning" has proven to be a solid source for the colts.

although we're in good shape, it does come at a price. this year it just so happened to be bryant mcfadden.

cant win em all.

Don't forget about that 30% rule that is in effect for his contract. I think they may have to pay James more this season so they can get to the correct level by next season.

Preacher
04-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Don't forget about that 30% rule that is in effect for his contract. I think they may have to pay James more this season so they can get to the correct level by next season.

That rule is easily gotten around.

Go read about the "Completion Bonus" that the Saints and others have started using.

YOu pay a lump sum when a player "completes" all the required offseason workouts. One guy got something like 5 MILL for that bonus.

So you pay James what he has now, and then write in a 5 mill bonus to hit next year as a "completion bonus"

Galax Steeler
04-11-2009, 08:11 AM
I am glad to see them close to a deal. Hopefully we can watch Harrison retire as a Steeler.

GBMelBlount
04-11-2009, 08:52 AM
It will be great if we can keep Harrison for a reasonable price.....I just hope the offer is based on his age and expected future performance, in Steelers fashion, as opposed to having to compete with a few teams who will overpay.

Let's get this done! I would hate to lose this beast......

BubbyBrister
04-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Nice.
I saw this in the Tribune this morning, but they didn't put a value to it. Hm, hard to say that Harrison has more value than Troy tho (4 years, 30.19 mil), unless they are trying to make up for money that he "earned" while under his current el-cheapo contract.

If that's the case, I like Troy's outlook on that when they gave him the extension.

"You have to earn the money," Polamalu said. "It's not for what I did in the past, it's for what I've got to earn now."
How could he earn that?

"Four Super Bowls in a row?" he said, smiling. "Go out and play hard, that's all I could do individually."

For info. sake, in 2008 the median salaries for safeties and LBs was not that far off.
LB: $1,175,788
Safety: $947,887
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0807/nfl.average.salaries.by.position/content.1.html

Anyway, I just find it hard to believe that Harrison deserves a great deal more than Troy.

TackleMeBen
04-11-2009, 09:29 AM
i am sure that what the steelers has offer is fair. now its up to harrison if he wants to stay with a team that has potential to repeat.

CPanther95
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
2009 franchise tag numbers for LBs is about $8.3 million. So what will the tag cost in 2010 - $10 million max.? (Jerry Jones eventual offer to Ware will probably cause a bigger bump than usual for 2010 & 2011).

That means without renegotiating, we have Harrison for:

2009: $1.4 million to age 32.
2009 - 2010: ~$11.4 million to age 33.
2009-2011: ~$23 million to age 34.

He deserves a bonus for his performance last year, but I wouldn't expect the Steelers to get too far out of whack with the above numbers. Especially considering that any guaranteed money for 2009 in excess of $1.4 million can be considered a "bonus" - regardless of what he's worth.

OneForTheToe
04-11-2009, 11:31 AM
That rule is easily gotten around.

Go read about the "Completion Bonus" that the Saints and others have started using.

YOu pay a lump sum when a player "completes" all the required offseason workouts. One guy got something like 5 MILL for that bonus.

So you pay James what he has now, and then write in a 5 mill bonus to hit next year as a "completion bonus"

You may be correct, but the Steelers have never been big on "funny money" contracts. I wouldn't expect much money to be paid put in bonuses.

St33lersguy
04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Hopefully soon become complete. I just cannot imagine this guy playing for a different team, nor get paid less money than that piece of s*** Willie Colon