PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Agrees To Deal.....

RJC
04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/steelers-harrison-to-hold-press-conference-on-tuesday/9522/

Guttpuppy
04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/steelers-harrison-to-hold-press-conference-on-tuesday/9522/

Cant read the whole article and I cant find the story anywhere else!!!:doh:

The Definiti0n
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
how lucky are we to be steeler fans?

GBMelBlount
04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Well, hopefully the deal is really done.

fansince'76
04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, hopefully the deal is really done.

Agreed - I'd like to see some corroboration of this report from the Post-Gazette or KDKA.

hindes204
04-11-2009, 06:51 PM
:hope::hope::hope:

devilsdancefloor
04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
i have this night mare that he holds a press conference and says "ive been traded to the cardinals"! oh god what a night mare

tony hipchest
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Cant read the whole article and I cant find the story anywhere else!!!:doh:its an insider pay site. you cant even cut and past the little teaser which has harrisons agent saying a deal (longterm) was finalized this afternoon and a presser is called for tuesday.

the deal is a reported....

[pay to read more] :doh:

KeiselPower99
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
SWEET

MACH1
04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Good news!

Preacher
04-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Let's hope its all legit!!!

Steel-Bryan
04-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Anyone else think this MIGHT be fake ? :coffee:

fansince'76
04-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Anyone else think this MIGHT be fake ? :coffee:

Well, the latest update on KDKA (http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison.Steelers.2.982017.html)says they're "very close" to a deal, so I don't really suspect it to be "fake" - I think a better word might possibly be "premature."

7/39/43
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
that's a good thing!

SteelCurtain7
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Boo-ya! If this deal is done, I plan on picking up a #92 jersey this fall. :tt:

Preacher
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, the latest update on KDKA (http://kdka.com/steelers/James.Harrison.Steelers.2.982017.html)says they're "very close" to a deal, so I don't really suspect it to be "fake" - I think a better word might possibly be "premature."

True.

But hey, its been a dull offseason for steelers fans.

Gotta give us SOMETHING to get excited about... we can only laugh so hard at another Bungle getting arrested.

SteelersMongol
04-11-2009, 09:10 PM
True.

But hey, its been a dull offseason for steelers fans.

Gotta give us SOMETHING to get excited about... we can only laugh so hard at another Bungle getting arrested.

:laughing:

BrandonCarr39
04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Just curious - what do his numbers look like?

Reason why I'm asking is b/c we still have to extend Demarcus Ware, and with the outrageous contract Albert Haynesworth got, Ware could very well ask for the same. OTOH - if Harrison isn't asking for the same...

Preacher
04-11-2009, 09:16 PM

Reason why I'm asking is b/c we still have to extend Demarcus Ware, and with the outrageous contract Albert Haynesworth got, Ware could very well ask for the same. OTOH - if Harrison isn't asking for the same...

That's part of the problem... we can't find any confirmation. . . and as such, no numbers.

DANG IT>

This reminds me of the weekend we were sitting around wondering if the Rooney hiring of Tomlin was legitimate or a rumor.

SMR
04-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Ooooooohhhh....I can't wait til Tuesday comes around!
:popcorn:

Steelman16
04-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Dangit! Leave me hanging! :banging:

SteelCityMan786
04-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Wait for sources such as KDKA and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette before treating it as the gospel.

KeiselPower99
04-11-2009, 10:37 PM
In the thread that mesa posted "Offseason work far from over" there is a update in there saying 45 mill.

1st&Goal
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM
YIPEE !!! :applaudit:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-12-2009, 12:36 AM
there will be a deal but just not today.

http://steeltradition.com/2009/04/steelers-break-tradition-with-potential-harrison-deal.html

April 11, 2009
Steelers break tradition with potential Harrison deal

The Pittsburgh Steelers are set to sign the 2008 defensive player of the year James Harrison to a new, long-term deal that should allow the outside linebacker to retire as a member of the black and gold. The deal has yet to be signed, but multiple sources have stated that the Steelers should consummate the deal with their top defender after the Easter holiday, likely scheduling a press conference on either Monday or Tuesday. It's unknown what the length and terms of the contract are, although it would be a safe assumption that it's going to be at least four or five years, and in the realm of $45 million dollars, with $20 million or more guaranteed.

The Steelers have a history of releasing 30-ish linebackers as opposed to signing them to new, long-term deals. Greg Lloyd (32), Levon Kirkland (31) and Joey Porter (29) were all in similar positions and were allowed to move on to greener pastures. Lloyd and Kirkland were not-so-arguably on the downsides of their careers. Lloyd played only one more insignificant season with the Carolina Panthers, while Kirkland toiled for two more years in Philadelphia and Seattle, before retiring. Harrison replaced Porter when the outspoken linebacker was released by Pittsburgh. Mike Tomlin had been hired as the new coach, and the Steelers decided to make some cap room and allow Harrison to take over the position. Porter had 17.5 sacks last season, to Harrison's 16.

Let's be honest. None of those guys were as good as James Harrison was last season, and that's not easy to say.

The Steelers will likely need to move around some money to get this deal to work. Some of that movement may come from a long-term deal for Max Starks, who signed his one-year tender of $8.45 million dollars after the Steelers franchised the offensive tackle in February. The salary is guaranteed, and the Steelers are hoping to sign the big tackle to a four or five year deal that would supersede his franchise tender. Starks, however, has proven to be stubborn in the past. When the Steelers tendered a contract to Starks last year as their transition player, Starks refused to sign a long term contract that would have given the Steelers some cap relief. It's believed he'll play hard ball once again, especially with a starting job nearly locked up.

The Steelers potentially have 11 more (counting Starks) starters who will be free agents at the end of the 2009 season, including tailback Willie Parker and Tight End Health Miller. Look for the rest of the offseason to be very interesting, as the Steelers attempt to improve their 2009 team, and set the tone for 2010 and beyond.

Preacher
04-12-2009, 12:49 AM
2009 CA TAX REVOLT - RIVERSIDE CA - APRIL 11TH 2:00 to 4:00
CORNER OF UNIVERSITY AND MAIN ST - OPPOSING ALL PROPOSITIONS ON MAY 19th BALLOT 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E NO MORE TAXES THE MIDDLE CLASS HAS HAD ENOUGH.

First... and no, this isn't politics.. just wondering. . . DO WE have a vote coming up in California? I haven't heard of it!!

OK... that is a GREAT article. Thanks. It WILL be interesting to see what we do this coming offseason. But for now, we need to keep focused on THIS offseason!

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 12:55 AM
To heck with Starks, we gotta keep Heath Miller!

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-12-2009, 01:23 AM
First... and no, this isn't politics.. just wondering. . . DO WE have a vote coming up in California? I haven't heard of it!!

Yes May 19th VOTE NO ON EVERYTING. It's a special election that was "set up" by the Sacramento Senate and Assembly so they can continue to spend money like drunken sailors and tax us to death. There are 6 propositions ALL WRITTEN by the crooks in Sacramento, the voters summary is extremely misleading because the senate and assembly wrote BOTH the pro and con on each of the propositions. They are trying to sell it as a "spending cap/rainy day fund" but what is is a 2 year tax increase on the sales tax, car registration, state tax, a single person making $47K a year will be taxed 9.95% state income tax. We need to vote NO on all 6 propositions or else we are screwed. This is a grass roots movement it's very similar to the grass roots movement when Prop 13 was passed in the 70's. IF we able to defeat prop 1A plus the rest then that will basically throw the state into bankruptcy which would force the state to bust up all the teachers, prison guards, state employees union contracts. The taxpayers cannot continue to sustain the spending in Sacramento to support the unions pensions and salaries. So VOTE NO ON EVERYTHING send e-mails, text messages to friends and family Here are some websites with more info. The howard jarvis website is very informative. You will not hear hardly anything about this on your local new station. Now Governor Gas Bag has been mugging for the tv saying that if the propositions don't pass we'll have to close all the schools down K-12th grade, let all the murders and rapists out of the prisons and chicken little the sky is going to fall......Well the California Taxpayer is at the point of tilting their heads to one side and saying "ahhhh Arnie WHATEVER let the games begin"

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now just trying to update a fellow taxpayer and trying to keep them from getting screwed.

http://www.hjta.org/proposition-1a/we-must-take-action-stop-another-huge-tax-increase-we-must-defeat-proposition-1a

http://www.hjta.org/proposition-1a/who-supports-prop-1a-and-wants-you-pay-higher-taxes

http://www.hjta.org/pdf/FactSheet.pdf?rev=1

http://www.theteapartyrevolt.com/

http://www.reuters.com/article/email/idUSTRE53700V20090408?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=10112

steelreserve
04-12-2009, 03:04 AM

Yeah, they're pretty much trying to bend everyone over so we can continue to provide free health care and education to citizens of Mexico and the gitto folks wit gold teef an hella weed. Like the guy above me said, vote no on everything, because all of the propositions are just attempts to lock in ridiculous taxes for a few years. If I'm not mistaken, this will make California have both the highest income tax and highest sales tax in the entire nation. Have fun giving up another 20% of your income -- if you're in the higher tax brackets, you'll lose about 60% of your salary up front in taxes.

T Bradshaw
04-12-2009, 03:08 AM
its not true

MongoSteeler
04-12-2009, 05:30 AM
Whew, after reading Florio yesterday I thought they were going to trade him to Buffalo for Roscoe Parrish and another 5th rounder.

Galax Steeler
04-12-2009, 06:07 AM
I hope the story is true I want to see him back in black and gold. Hopefully he will finish is carrer here in the burgh.

AllD
04-12-2009, 06:59 AM
It would in poor taste to formally announce a deal on the holiday weekend. Other sources are confirming that a deal will be announced by Tuesday. All we have to worry about is Harrison remaining healthy and if he plays like he has been performing he will be out on the field no matter what.

Also have to credit him for showing up to practice during negotiations. He has already proven that he is the best defensive player in the NFL. Did you notice how the Steelers concentrated on resiging their own players instead of FAs? By keeping the team intact the odds are that the entire team will improve including the OL. It also sends an important message to the players that they have a vested interest in playing for the Steelers specifically. Although the team cannot afford to pay Powerball money to everybody, they will be fairly compensated among their peers on the team. Not to mention one day they have have an opportunity at team ownership ala, John Stallworth.

First class all the way. Nobody does it better.

stillers4me
04-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Hopefully, Reebok will now start pumping out those Premier Harrison jerseys because I can't find one anywhere!

St33lersguy
04-12-2009, 07:42 AM
YES!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Steelers, LB Harrison nearing contract extension

James Harrison and the Pittsburgh Steelers are closing in on a contract extension that could be finalized as early as Monday, according to Bill Parise, the agent for the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Parise says all parties involved agreed to get past the Easter holiday before consummating the deal.

The price tag of Harrison’s extension is expected to play into the financial parameters of contract negotiations between the Dallas Cowboys and DeMarcus Ware, who like Harrison is an outside linebacker.

Harrison helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII on Feb. 1 by intercepting a Kurt Warner pass and returning it 100 yards for a touchdown. It was the longest play in Super Bowl history and capped Harrison’s best NFL season, in which he led the league with seven forced fumbles and set a Steelers record with 16 sacks. Harrison also ranked second on the team with 101 tackles.

Harrison is entering the final season of a four-year, $5.5 million contract that he signed in 2006.

– Steve Wyche

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/11/steelers-lb-harrison-nearing-contract-extension/

OneForTheToe
04-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Parise says all parties involved agreed to get past the Easter holiday before consummating the deal.

But baby you're so beautiful and I love you so much I just can't wait that long......... Oh sorry.... that's not what we are talking about at all .

Never mind.

:noidea: :wave:

triphahn
04-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Are you a Cowboys fan?

Hapa
04-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Are you a Cowboys fan?

Look at his username

devilsdancefloor
04-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Are you a Cowboys fan?

No he isnt :wink02: just a confused young man and soon will be bleed black n gold :flap:

triphahn
04-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Look at his username

I was just kind of confused as to why a cowboys fan is on here and that maybe it was a mistake. Don't mean to be rude but go back to your own forum. Hearing from a cowboys fan on here kindof ruins my Steelers Sense of Serenity.

tony hipchest
04-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Don't mean to be rude but go back to your own forum. .chill out. he's cool. since he's been a member here for almost 2 years maybe this IS his own forum.

TNewman41
Starter

Member Number: 7458

stillers4me
04-12-2009, 04:31 PM
TNewman41 is one the best rival fans we've got here on SF. He's welcome 24/7. We even welcome a certain Bengals fan and a couple of Browns fans. :yikes:

Seawhiner fans need not apply.

Take a chill pill. :chillpill:

triphahn
04-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I am chilled. Respect the rivalry dislike the team. Sight says "not just fans, hardcore fans". No disrespect to my Steelers brothers but this sight is for exchanging views with other Steelers fans or so I thought.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I am chilled. Respect the rivalry dislike the team. Sight says "not just fans, hardcore fans". No disrespect to my Steelers brothers but this sight is for exchanging views with other Steelers fans or so I thought.

I see where you are coming from but any of the fans from other teams I have come across here, especially TN41 have been nothing but knowledgable and as a whole we have been oh so gracious to allow fans of lesser teams to voice their opinion. Think of it this way....Not just fans, hardcore football fans. We're all the same fans, just their teams are inferior.

triphahn
04-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I see where you are coming from but any of the fans from other teams I have come across here, especially TN41 have been nothing but knowledgable and as a whole we have been oh so gracious to allow fans of lesser teams to voice their opinion. Think of it this way....Not just fans, hardcore football fans. We're all the same fans, just their teams are inferior.

Fair enough. Not trying to start a conflict here. I'll just let it drop. :helmet:

Steel-Bryan
04-12-2009, 05:36 PM
He's a great member of this forum. He gives a lot to forum discussions and he was ranting during cowboys vs. steelers week last season. He took the loss pretty well, and the fact that he peeks into the forum now and then even after that game says a lot. Let him stay :wink:

I love you man :toofunny:

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
He's more educated than many of the Steelers fans here.

St33lersguy
04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
I was just kind of confused as to why a cowboys fan is on here and that maybe it was a mistake. Don't mean to be rude but go back to your own forum. Hearing from a cowboys fan on here kindof ruins my Steelers Sense of Serenity.

He's been on the forum for a year and a half & is listed as a starter & you tell this now? Besides like Psyychoward86 says he's not annoying on this forum which says something

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
But baby you're so beautiful and I love you so much I just can't wait that long......... Oh sorry.... that's not what we are talking about at all .

Never mind.

:noidea: :wave:

:rofl: Did you have some Barry White playing in the background while making this post??

DJfan
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
It's Done!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09103/962504-100.stm

Dino 6 Rings
04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Steelers sign James Harrison
Monday, April 13, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have signed linebacker James Harrrison to a new contract that will pay him $51.175 million over the next six years.

Harrison, the NFL's 2008 defensive player of the year, will receive $20 million in bonus money.

First published on April 13, 2009 at 11:20 am

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Excellent...now to move on to Miller!!!

Rek
04-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Excellent...now to move on to Miller!!!

And FWP, and Ward, and....

Gosh next year's off season scares me, way too many FA's... :shake01: