PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Strength of Schedule

Steel-Bryan
04-11-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80fbaa5d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

:chicken:

Preacher
04-11-2009, 10:10 PM
A weak schedule isnt necessarily a good thing. If our schedule turns out to have nothing but crappy teams, i dont think we'll be very prepared for the playoffs. You have to play good football against tough opponents too. It's like beating up an obese 4 year old to prepare for a UFC fight.

The NFL is the NFL. Any given Sunday has meaning, because any team CAN beat any oother team. Yes, there is something to be said about playing teams with more losses than wins. However, look at New Englands Schedule year in and year out, yet they consistently are at the top of the playoff picture . . well, that and camera's helped... but still.

fansince'76
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Doesn't mean much when a team like Miami can go from being 1-15 one season to 11-5 and in the playoffs the next.

BrandonCarr39
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
The NFL is the NFL. Any given Sunday has meaning, because any team CAN beat any oother team. Yes, there is something to be said about playing teams with more losses than wins. However, look at New Englands Schedule year in and year out, yet they consistently are at the top of the playoff picture . . well, that and camera's helped... but still.

Yep - it's not who you play, but when you play them.

Some may say Arizona was nothing but a 9 win team, but people forgot how Whisenhunt whipped his players a good one in practice late in the year when they went on a losing skid(and Whisenhunt made adjustments to run a more balanced attack after going pass happy much of the year)...they responded with that big playoff run, until losing in the Super Bowl, of course.

Ravnet
04-12-2009, 03:20 AM
A weak schedule isnt necessarily a good thing. If our schedule turns out to have nothing but crappy teams, i dont think we'll be very prepared for the playoffs. You have to play good football against tough opponents too. It's like beating up an obese 4 year old to prepare for a UFC fight.

I'll agree with this as the Ravens/Steelers both reached the AFC Championship Game this year after a brutal lineup, whereas the 2004 (15-1) Steelers and 2006 (13-3) Ravens failed to do much of anything after fairly light schedules.

That being said, we pretty much deserve the 4th/5th easiest schedules after last year.

tony hipchest
04-12-2009, 03:31 AM
That being said, we pretty much deserve the 4th/5th easiest schedules after last year.
and while the steelers or ravens probably wont take any of their opponents any lighter, it cant hurt to face more teams that suck.

steelreserve
04-12-2009, 03:52 AM
I really don't care what the strength of schedule is going into the season. It's been irrelevant since they started enforcing a hard salary cap. Teams don't stay the same, and a couple of breaks can turn you from an 11-5 team to 5-11. So basically, you can't tell anything from it until the season is already over.

Ravnet
04-12-2009, 04:28 AM
and while the steelers or ravens probably wont take any of their opponents any lighter, it cant hurt to face more teams that suck.

At the very least, we're going to get a nice ride during the regular season.

Steel-Bryan
04-12-2009, 04:38 AM
At the very least, we're going to get a nice ride during the regular season.

We;ll the playoffs are whats important

Ravnet
04-12-2009, 05:05 AM
We;ll the playoffs are whats important

Obviously, but my point is that our two teams would have to go out of their way not to have a fairly good regular season.

steelwall
04-12-2009, 05:51 AM

I agree... At this point I say we have as good a shot as any to get back to the big game, I'll take ANY advantage I can get.

MongoSteeler
04-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Strenght of schedule and keeping your team on top of its game is important. I think Hoody Bill and New England got critisized for not taking the pedal off the metal a few times for that very reason.

Galax Steeler
04-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I don't care what strength we have just as long as we don't take none of our games lightly. We need to bring our A game every week.

Hapa
04-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Yay! Our opponents win. percentage is .434!

triphahn
04-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Yay! Our opponents win. percentage is .434!

Yeah but just playing the lions takes that win percentage down a lot:laughing:

stillers4me
04-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I believe that the toughness of our schedule last year had a lot to do with that newest trophy they brought home. It made them mentally tough and prepared them for the playoff run.

CPanther95
04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I believe that the toughness of our schedule last year had a lot to do with that newest trophy they brought home. It made them mentally tough and prepared them for the playoff run.

True - but I'm happy to try it this way also. :laughing:

Easy schedule makes it easier to reach the playoffs. The Pats showed us last year that even an 11 win season doesn't guarantee that. Good coaching and a good system will keep players ready through easy games - and it also gives the opportunity to get lower tier players more game time and development. Plus it isn't like next year's core group needs tough game experience to prepare them for the postseason - they'll be the same guys we had this past year.

Ravens last year also had the benefit of a tough schedule. It did prepare them for the playoffs, but it also beat the hell out of them by the time they got there.

Crushzilla
04-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I can't dispute that the degree of difficulty built some character last year.

Wins are wins, however.

Just get us back to the post-season.

Our guys know how to win once they get there.

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 06:40 PM
This will be a great test for Tomlin. We know he can keep the team together during the tough times, will he be able to do the same in the (somewhat) easier times?

This strength of schedule stuff has a very fast turnaround rate, so I don't take it too seriously.

St33lersguy
04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Much easier. Easy games against the Raiders & Chiefs, an automatic 4-0 start against the s*** from Ohio, Denver looks to be an easier game because one of the few reasons they were playoff contenders is now in Chicago, speaking of Chicago they have fallen (though might be a contender if he doesn't dissapoint) The Packers all of a sudden look like an easier game with Aaron Rodgers, & there are 2 bye weeks, one against whenever our practice in Detroit occurs. Much easier than last year.

Steel-Bryan
04-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Much easier. Easy games against the Raiders & Chiefs, an automatic 4-0 start against the s*** from Ohio, Denver looks to be an easier game because one of the few reasons they were playoff contenders is now in Chicago, speaking of Chicago they have fallen (though might be a contender if he doesn't dissapoint) The Packers all of a sudden look like an easier game with Aaron Rodgers, & there are 2 bye weeks, one against whenever our practice in Detroit occurs. Much easier than last year.

I disagree man, the packers next year I THINK are gunna turn some heads. I think there gunna be the best team in the NFC, no idea why tho :noidea:

Ravnet
04-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I disagree man, the packers next year I THINK are gunna turn some heads. I think there gunna be the best team in the NFC, no idea why tho :noidea:

They're one of those teams that is "poised to break out."

Some examples of similar teams going into the 2008 season included Jacksonville, Minnesota, San Francisco, and Buffalo.

Suffice to say, I don't buy it.

Steel-Bryan
04-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Buffalo has potential, they started off 6-0 last year, then lost 7 in a row i think

St33lersguy
04-12-2009, 09:56 PM

Taken care of, we got Tennessee, the Thugbirds twice, the Chargers, the Vikings, & Miami ( If they don't fold to the NFL's toughest schedule & expectations for the 1st time in a while)

Crushzilla
04-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Buffalo has potential, they started off 6-0 last year, then lost 7 in a row i think

The addition of Owens adds big time creditability to the offense.

The running game should be even better with Owens and Evans sucking up the secondary.

Unfortunately, the Bills are flirting with Bungal status even before the halftime of the offseason. Lynch and Whitner, two young stars of the franchise, are TRYING to get suspended, and Owens threatens the stability of ANY locker room. Especially one with no established veteran leadership.

Who knows... Maybe Owens being the true vet of the offense will magically change his approach to team chemistry.

That's not very likely, though.

stillers4me
04-13-2009, 06:20 AM
I trust Coach Tomlin to have them in the right frame of mind no matter who they face.

All he has to do is play a little Phil Collins and ........BAM! :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
04-13-2009, 07:03 AM
If you are a true champion, strength of schedule shouldn't matter.

As long as these guys stay healthy, and don't become overconfident, I think we can expect another exciting year of smashmouth football with a healthy number of W's.

The_WARDen
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
an easier schedule just means that Ben should put up good numbers like he did 2 years ago and the talking heads at Disney may notice him.

Okay okay...that last part was a reach but it COULD happen!

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
The addition of Owens adds big time creditability to the offense.

The running game should be even better with Owens and Evans sucking up the secondary.

Unfortunately, the Bills are flirting with Bungal status even before the halftime of the offseason. Lynch and Whitner, two young stars of the franchise, are TRYING to get suspended, and Owens threatens the stability of ANY locker room. Especially one with no established veteran leadership.

Who knows... Maybe Owens being the true vet of the offense will magically change his approach to team chemistry.

That's not very likely, though.

To be frank - I think Ralph Wilson's intent of acquiring Owens was b/c his Buffalo franchise's books are in RED, especially being in NFL Siberia, and getting a big sideshow and drama queen like Owens could potentially boost his team's revenue quite a bit with much more media publicity.(plus I've heard Owens Buffalo jersey sales have gone through the roof)

I agree - by Halloween, he'll be calling out his OC. By Thanksgiving, he'll be calling out Trent Edwards. By Christmas, he'll be leading an army of Buffalo fans calling for Dick Jauron's head.

But ultimately, Wilson will be SMILING come year's end when his books are padded a good one.

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
If you are a true champion, strength of schedule shouldn't matter.

As long as these guys stay healthy, and don't become overconfident, I think we can expect another exciting year of smashmouth football with a healthy number of W's.

Didn't the Rams win the Super Bowl in '99 with one of the biggest joke schedules in NFL history? If memory serves, the only 2 teams they played in the reg season that had non-losing records were the Titans(13-3) and Lions(8-8), and they lost to both.

Mags87
04-13-2009, 11:56 PM
i find it funny how the NFC North save the lions are at the bottom of that list with us. poor poor Detroit. not a single thing going right for that city lately. (except that Ford's stock has almost tripled in the last month)

Ravnet
04-14-2009, 01:12 AM
i find it funny how the NFC North save the lions are at the bottom of that list with us. poor poor Detroit. not a single thing going right for that city lately. (except that Ford's stock has almost tripled in the last month)

Could it have gone much lower?

BrandonCarr39
04-14-2009, 01:13 AM

At least the city of Detroit has the Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings, and the Wolverines to cheer for.

SteelMember
04-14-2009, 09:01 AM
There are some bad teams out there, but this is still the NFL. A little softer thanks to goodeal, but the NFL none the less.

I think we can all remember back to our '06 season. Defending Super Bowl champs that let complacency end their season instead of the playoffs.

I have a feeling, from what I have seen/heard of Tomlin, that lighting a fire under this team to repeat is going to be one of his first messages. Basking in the glory will be over soon and will be replaced by the bullseyes other NFL teams will put on our backs.

lilyoder6
04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
shit any team can turn it around.. just look at the dolphins..

but we get 2 play d-mac... yay 4 us

CPanther95
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
AFC North and NFC North have the benefit of playing the Western divisions in our respective conferences. Lions have the disadvantage of not being able to play themselves. That's similar to why PITT and BALT have an easier schedule than the Browns and Bengals. They can't play themselves - plus we don't have to play ourselves.

The rest of the NFC North has an easier schedule than us because they get to play the Lions twice. The crappiest teams will never have the easiest schedule.

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM
If Indy and New England would have done their Jobs and won their divisions last year we'd be in better shape. (Yeah, I think we'd be better of playing both those teams because I want to play the best)

So the Ravens must have both of them next year, right? #2s play each other.

Last time we played the NFC North Bettis ran over Urlacher and we went on to win the Super Bowl. Nice.

mcopenhaver
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I really don't care what the strength of schedule is going into the season. It's been irrelevant since they started enforcing a hard salary cap. Teams don't stay the same, and a couple of breaks can turn you from an 11-5 team to 5-11. So basically, you can't tell anything from it until the season is already over.

I have to agree for the most part. Almost any team out there will punish any other team that doesn't come out ready to play at the top of their game. Still, I got a lot of satisfaction when even the most contrarian pundits admitted that the Steelers plowed through the toughest schedule in the NFL.

CPanther95
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
This squad already gets credit for winning the SB with the toughest (pre-season) schedule in something like 25 years. That makes any argument trying to diminish what we accomplish with an easy schedule moot.

BTW - if we end up going to an 18 game schedule, it will level things out just a bit more by having 4 games instead of 2 games based on previous season's rank within the division.

steelerdave1969
04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Strength of Schedule will change week by week... It always does and always will..
:tt03:

CPanther95
04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Strength of Schedule will change week by week... It always does and always will..
:tt03:

That's why only the preseason SoS or the year end SoS mean much.

Stlrs4Life
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM

I agree, but at the same time. I wouldn't want a brutal schedule back to back of last seasons schedule.

madtowndrunkard
04-17-2009, 12:46 AM
A weak schedule might get you into the playoffs but it will not help you win playoff games. You still need to be good if you want to win the SB.

This coming season I think we MUST get more out of our offense. We can't possibly expect our defense to be as good as last year. I think AZ exposed some weaknesses in our defense, which only means we'll need a little more out of our offense.....all of which has nothing to do with our schedule.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
The one problem IMO with the Steelers has been is NOT finishing off the opponent with good old bitch slapping. Cowher after getting up by 14 would back off and lay down, tighten up the Def. under that, I would agree a soft schedule doesn't help. When the Patriots smoked everyone 2 years ago, than went for the jugular every game they could, never letting up. You let up you get rusty with the soft schedule. This isn't a rec league, it the NFL, you run that score up, try new things, keep people fresh and play hard 100% of the time.
Cowher never ever did that. Tomlin I think is different in that respect. Still needs to finish off the oppopent so there is no doubt whn they leave, they know they got a beating.

Dino 6 Rings
04-17-2009, 05:38 PM
No worries, this is the Season we are going to BITTTTCH SLAP some Fools.

Coach isn't going anywhere. No one of note has "retired" Same Coaches across the mother effing board. Same Oline, that although they have issues, are actually returning to the job for the first time as an entact unit in Years.

10 returning Starters on Defense with zero of them being "disgruntled".

Our biggest concern on offense is the #3 Receiver?

2 Time winning Super Bowl QB, 2 Super bowl MVPs that know what it takes to get the job done. Fast Willie, Mendy, Moore, all in the backfield and healthy.

We are going to DESTROY some folks this year and its Starts with the Pansy Arse Pathetic, never where anything, big talk no game in big moments TITANS

Hey Fisher...You Are Still ONE YARD SHORT!

Bring Them on!

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
No worries, this is the Season we are going to BITTTTCH SLAP some Fools.

Coach isn't going anywhere. No one of note has "retired" Same Coaches across the mother effing board. Same Oline, that although they have issues, are actually returning to the job for the first time as an entact unit in Years.

10 returning Starters on Defense with zero of them being "disgruntled".

Our biggest concern on offense is the #3 Receiver?

2 Time winning Super Bowl QB, 2 Super bowl MVPs that know what it takes to get the job done. Fast Willie, Mendy, Moore, all in the backfield and healthy.

We are going to DESTROY some folks this year and its Starts with the Pansy Arse Pathetic, never where anything, big talk no game in big moments TITANS

Hey Fisher...You Are Still ONE YARD SHORT!

Bring Them on!

tell me how u rly feel

steel9guy
04-17-2009, 10:06 PM
just so we kill the rats 2wice again!!!!!!