PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Steelers take if not an offensive lineman?

taztroy43
04-12-2009, 04:20 AM
[Who should the Steelers take if they don't take an offensive linemen in the first round????:scratchchin:

Galax Steeler
04-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I would have to say a DB.

The Duke
04-12-2009, 11:19 AM
not an olineman? easy, a dlineman

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2009, 11:35 AM
not an olineman? easy, a dlineman

True Dat!!

At #32, I would go for best lineman available on either side of the ball and if its D line, then there could be a choice of guys like Fili Moala, Ron Brace or Jarron Gilbert.

taztroy43
04-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I believe that you guys are right....if they don't get an o-linemen they'll have to address their defense....wether DB or DL....maybe even linebacker if the right guy falls on their lap for some reason.....but IMO I would like them to draft Sean Smith CB/S out of Utah....hes compared to the GREAT MEL BLOUNT!!!......you gotta like that....:thumbsup:

check his pro day out...hes the tall guy in blue....

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZVsw11ADPgI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZVsw11ADPgI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

check this catch out....the dude is an athlete.....he'll look good in Black and Gold....:tt02:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9M2w9m320k&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9M2w9m320k&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Who's the dude in the white? He has a poor backpedal not very good agility IMO ... sheesh!

BehindSteelCurtain
04-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Steelers are in a spot where they can take best available. Obviously not a RB, QB, TE, WR.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-13-2009, 02:51 AM
best defensive player on the board

St33lersguy
04-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I would say DB, especially if Darius Butler is available. However if someone like Nicks, Harvin, or DHB is somehow still available they should definitely take one of those guys

SunshineMan21
04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I would take Nicks--I'm not a huge fan of Harvin or Heyward-Bey but if we chose to draft them I'd trust Colbert's judgment.

However, preferably we would take a CB or a D-linemen. Or maybe Laurinaitis.

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 05:37 PM
it's a tough decision... i am high on smith has well.. who could take over for clark after this yr..

taztroy43
04-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Your right it'll be a tough decision and smith could take over clark's
position in da near future but smith can contribute right away in special teams
and maybe get some reps @ cb this season if he's drafted by pitt!!!

taztroy43
04-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Do any of you know if the steelers might have a shot @ vontae davis??....will he even fall kinda low???????.....

revefsreleets
04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
NOT a DL. They have 4-5 DL now, and can afford to pick 1-2 in the later rds and groom him.

I'd say the only hole on the D right now is at CB, so if it's not OL with #32, make it a CB. Then pick OL and DL with the next few picks....

Conversely, if we DO take OL with #32, I say CB with #64, then DL and OL for the next few picks...

taztroy43
04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
That makes a lot of sense.....your right, they are going to address those 3 needs first....hopefully IMO I would like them to go in this order....CB,DL, & then OL....i hope they get a pretty good CB first, then trade up in the 2nd round to pick up Mack(if he's still there) or Jarron Gilbert/Fili Moala(If those 2 guys are still there)...they can still get some depth @ either of the 3 positions in later rounds....but lets see what happens....

SunshineMan21
04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Do any of you know if the steelers might have a shot @ vontae davis??....will he even fall kinda low???????.....

We brought him in for a visit . . . it's possible he'll drop (and he's the consensus #2 CB in the draft behind Jenkins), but I wouldn't count on it.

taztroy43
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Lets say he drops....would the Steelers even take a chance on Davis...even if he's known to cause trouble!?!....The thing about it is that he's a great athlete and he's really young as well....20 when he was @ the nfl combine....that would make it kinda hard for the Steelers to pass on him.....in reality i think that we have leaders in the team that would put him in his place but what about off the field???....is he really reliable to take him in the 1st......

truesteelerfan
04-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Jarron Gilbert

taztroy43
04-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I watched the SB highlights and i gotta say that we need some help in the offensive line!!!....i actually changed my mind....i want them to draft a good o-linemen to protect big ben....he was getting pressured all day!!!!.....i hope some how the draft order goes something like this.....first round- O-line men(Alex Mack) Second round- Sean Smith CB/ Jarron Gilbert(they have to trade up most likely) Third Round- I hope they get Jarron Gilbert this low or Fili Moala....maybe even trade up to the late second or early 3rd and get some good talent @ CB/DL.....but the three players I would love for the Steelers to have are CB Sean Smith, Alex Mack, and Jarron Gilbert in the first day......lets see what happens!!!!

DGRUBBS
04-19-2009, 01:01 AM
IMO

IF they are still on the board its one of these three if its not Alex Mack.

Alphonso Smith
D.J.Moore
Laurinitus

taztroy43
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't mind any of those guys.....but the nock on alphonso smith is his size....i dont think the steelers want a small cornerback...although he's very athletic and tough.....you never know whats going to happen....on Laurinitus, he'll be a great player to have but i dont think he's gunna slip that far....i wouldn't mind him @ all either....

ShutDown24
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
If we didn't select an offensive linemen, these would be the top five on my wishlist which could possibly be available at 32.

1. Darius Butler
2. Percy Harvin
3. Ron Brace
4. Hakeem Nicks
5. Vontae Davis

taztroy43
04-21-2009, 02:23 PM
i dont think that they'll take a chance on wr percy harvin even though i hope they do....but he has a chance to fall out of the first round.....but if the steelers can pick him up in the second....im all for it.....thing is vontae davis would also be a good pick...but idk...lets see this saturday....

lilyoder6
04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
i think the top 3 pos. wil be d-line,o-line or db...

too many holes in those areas to ignore..

unless a miracle happened and crabtree was there at 32 or a curry

steelerguy26
04-22-2009, 01:33 AM
If Jarron Gilbert, Tyson Jackson or Vontae Davis are still on the board it would make my decission very hard but I see CB being the best value pick as well as need filler. So V. Davis or another top DB would be my selection.

I like A. Mack but a center is not a great value pick at 32 with D. Stapleton in the wings (his natural position is center). I see them grabbing a guard over center and moving Stapleton back to center down the road.

taztroy43
04-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree with you steelerguy26,

I agree with you about Mack but man Big Ben needs help pronto by either drafting players or by his current OL getting it together this year....I hope they address defense first CB or DL....then if they can trade up or draft Wood at the 64 spot that would be awesome......but what if a guy like Percy Harvin falls to 32?...would they draft him???....what about Vontae Davis???.....what if a great player with off the field issues lands @ 32??? Will we pull the trigger.......I think so......what about you guys......

BozMan
04-23-2009, 02:44 AM
DL
WR
CB

SteelersTilIDie
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Steelers are in a spot where they can take best available. Obviously not a RB, QB, TE, WR.

don't be so quick to say not a WR, because the steelers have been linked by Mayock and McShay as a potential suitor for Percy Harvin

And I think DB, WR, DL, or LB

Vincent
04-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd be thrilled with Sean Smith. 32 isn't too high for him, but we could trade down. Most mocks have him going high in the 2nd. Compared to Nnamdi Asomugha.

The "knock" on him is he's a tweener, and not blazingly fast. But I'd like to have a big corner to compliment Ike.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Every time I work out the first round in my own mock draft...I keep coming down to Darrius Butler/James Laurinaitis/Percy Harvin/Eric Wood as players possibly left on the board.

If you look at value...Butler would be the logical choice.

The WR class is VERY deep this year so we can "probably" wait until later rounds for a 3rd or 4th reciever....Mack should be gone to Buffalo's second pick in the first round so Wood is a possibility....there is a very suspicious part of me that sees a weak ILB draft class this year, and the Steelers drooling over a front seven next year of Woodley/Harrison/Timmons and Laurinaitis.

So my guess is Butler or Laurinaitis

Aussie_steeler
04-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Every time I work out the first round in my own mock draft...I keep coming down to Darrius Butler/James Laurinaitis/Percy Harvin/Eric Wood as players possibly left on the board.

If you look at value...Butler would be the logical choice.

The WR class is VERY deep this year so we can "probably" wait until later rounds for a 3rd or 4th reciever....Mack should be gone to Buffalo's second pick in the first round so Wood is a possibility....there is a very suspicious part of me that sees a weak ILB draft class this year, and the Steelers drooling over a front seven next year of Woodley/Harrison/Timmons and Laurinaitis.

So my guess is Butler or Laurinaitis

I would have to take Butler over Laurinitis if it came down to those two. Harvin's character issues rule him out immediately

taztroy43
04-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Darius Butler will be the better pick of the two because he can help out at corner and the return game....as for laurinaitis hes very intreguing but IMO they will address DL, OL, or CB in the first day....so that eliminates Laurinaitis.....If Butler is there they should pull the trigger but that's if he's there.....if Butler isn't there and their isn't a good enough OL prospect( or Percy Harvin, Vontae Davis, or even Tyson Jackson) then they shoudl go with CB/FS Sean Smith IMO.....they'll be getting a guy who can contribute in special teams and in some much needed depth at he CB and FS position....I say this because Clark's has 1 year left and he's turning 30.....Townsend is what, 34, and dont get me wrong hes a good corner but hes slow and aging.....how many years does he have left???....exactly my point....Sean Smith would make a lot of sense because in the near future he can start alongside Polamalu or alongside Taylor or behind Gay( After all how many CB have been compared to the GREAT H.O.F. PLAYER MEL BLOUNT!?!...thats what i thought!!!)....some might say that this would be a reach but in most mock drafts hes gone in the first 10 picks of the second round and in WalterFootball.com hes going to the Titans @ 30!!!......

Another reson that I hope they draft Smith is that we wouln't have a chance in hell to draft a freak of nature next year by the name of Taylor Mays(S 6'4" 220/230ish has been known to run a 4.3/4.4 40 time). If for some reason next year we somehow trade up for Mays and aquire him it would make the Steelers secondary the best in the NFL....hands down!!!!...Mays and Polamalu would be used by Dick Lebeau in some crazy ass defensive schemes!! That would be something special!!!!!......but the chances of drafting Mays are very very low!....so why not draft a poor man's Taylor Mays/Mel Blount.......that person would be Sean Smith....i know he's not as good of a tackler as Blount or Mays but he's a secure Tackler.....the Steelers would have the luxury of playing Smith @ CB or FS....so why not go with a guy whos 6'4" 215ish that runs a 4.47 40 that was a converted WR, who has excellent hands and could play CB or FS??.......

Its not up to me or you to decide on who they draft its up to the Steelers but it would be something special if next year they could somehow land Taylor Mays...but this year I hope they somehow land Sean Smith whether in the 1st or 2nd pick because Taylor's chances of being a Steeler next year are very very slim!!!....Smith would most likely develop into a good maybe great player for the Steelers, after all he would have Taylor or Polamalu as mentors.....well i gave my 2 cents.....:tt02:

Taylor Mays vids....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F60IYoZqAvU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F60IYoZqAvU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbKBeI1uVtU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbKBeI1uVtU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>