PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich signs with Tampa

Galax Steeler
04-12-2009, 09:36 AM
ESPN's Michael Smith reports the Bucs have agreed to terms with free agent QB Byron Leftwich on a two-year contract.
The Bucs apparently had second thoughts about their Luke McCown/Brian Griese/Josh Johnson depth chart, and Leftwich likely came cheaply. While not a West Coast quarterback, Leftwich's track record as a starter compares favorably with McCown's.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

mcmac
04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I guess he didnt want another ring.

The Duke
04-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Well, that ends the saga

Good luck byron. You better hope you get that starting job....

OneForTheToe
04-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I guess he didnt want another ring.

Guy wants a chance to start. I can't fault him for that. Good luck lefty.

steelerchad
04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Just reported that Leftwich and Tampa have agreed to terms.

The longer this dragged out, I was gaining more hope that we may be able to keep Byron as a backup. I like Batch, but at his age and coming off an injury I don't have faith that he can come into a close game cold or start a few games in the middle of the season with success.

I think the Steelers could benefit from a 30 something, has been as backup next year. I don't think Dixon is ready.

St33lersguy
04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Link? Guess our offer wsn't enough.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2009, 10:21 AM
If its true............I am really suprised that it took this long for Leftwich to find another team.

GBMelBlount
04-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Just reported that Leftwich and Tampa have agreed to terms.

I like Batch, but at his age and coming off an injury I don't have faith that he can come into a close game cold or start a few games in the middle of the season with success.

I think the Steelers could benefit from a 30 something, has been as backup next year. I don't think Dixon is ready.

I tend to agree. I think we might be OK with Batch and Dixon though, and could probably bring in an adequate backup on short notice, if necessary. Although you hate to bring someone new in DURING the season. I would imagine we will find out soon enough what the comfort level is with Batch and Dixon as backups...

RJC
04-12-2009, 10:29 AM
It's true, and why would him leaving be surprising? He wants to play, full time, and he has a huge chance to do that in Tampa. I wish him nothing, but the best. He came here, did his job, and contributed to a Super Bowl season. Enjoy that ring BL, and remember, you were a Steeler for one glorious year....

mesaSteeler
04-12-2009, 10:36 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4062212

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2009, 10:42 AM
we will find out soon enough what the comfort level is with Batch and Dixon as backups...
I thought Dixon was gonna return kicks, play WR, run the wildcat and be the next "Slash"?? :rolleyes:

SteelersinCA
04-12-2009, 10:50 AM
He has a good shot of starting there.

GBMelBlount
04-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I thought Dixon was gonna return kicks, play WR, run the wildcat and be the next "Slash"?? :rolleyes:

I must admit though, I did enjoy the 4th down snap he took and scampered 40 yards for a touchdown (if I'm not mistaken).....Now THAT was entertaining. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Read all about it on the TB board.

some aren't so happy

Why would anyone be excited about this guy? He seriously is terrible. A big fat, slow moving and even slower throwing retread QB.

Fatboy had is shot and his time has past.

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=173962

hindes204
04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Ive always liked Batch more, so I'm not too broken up about this

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Guy wants a chance to start. I can't fault him for that. Good luck lefty.

Back during the season we all knew he was wanting a chance to start and now he has it. Good Luck Byron and show the NFL that you are the man, :tt: This also means his Steeler jersey will be on sale soon!!!! And if anyone is counting thats 4 free agents gone. So that should be 4 compensatory picks for next year.

steelers4life66
04-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I hope Ben stays healthy this year. I don't have faith in Charlie anymore.

fansince'76
04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Sucks that he had to leave, but I can understand why he did. Best of luck to Lefty! :drink:

fansince'76
04-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Read all about it on the TB board.

some aren't so happy

Why would anyone be excited about this guy? He seriously is terrible. A big fat, slow moving and even slower throwing retread QB.

Fatboy had is shot and his time has past.

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=173962

This coming from fans of TB, a franchise known for such great QBs as....?

BlastFurnace
04-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Sucks that he had to leave, but I can understand why he did. Best of luck to Lefty! :drink:

Agreed. Thanks for the Washington win Byron.

BlastFurnace
04-12-2009, 12:25 PM

Yep...the franchise that traded Steve Young away for a bag of potato chips.

tony hipchest
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM
bucs still had about $50 mil to spend, and mccown is making like $4 mil per season.

leftwich gets better money and i bet he wins the job.

i believe colbert liked rex grossman out of college and he does have sb starter experience.

im thinking he may be our plan b.

OneForTheToe
04-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Back during the season we all knew he was wanting a chance to start and now he has it. Good Luck Byron and show the NFL that you are the man, :tt: This also means his Steeler jersey will be on sale soon!!!! And if anyone is counting thats 4 free agents gone. So that should be 4 compensatory picks for next year.

I don't know. Those rules for comp picks are pretty convoluded. You only get comp pick for players under 30 years old, over 275 pounds, who signed with as a free agent with another team on a Tuesday or Thursday before 2:00, not including leap years, unless your team is from Boston where you get a comp pick for losing the assistant to the traveling secretary - otherwise known as the Costanza rule.:wink02:

OneForTheToe
04-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Actually they had some pretty good quarterbacks .... they just didn't play for the Bucs - see Steve Young.:toofunny:

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I think Steeler Nation would go up in arms if we signed Sexy Rexy. :chuckle:

But best of luck to Lefty. Glad he found a gig. :thumbsup:

WindyCitySteelerFan
04-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Sorry to see him go.. He was a phenomenal backup for us. He'll be clammering to come back in a year or two...

Edman
04-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Just heard the news. and it sucks. I loved Lefty. A more than capable backup and a great teammate that performed well when called upon in his short time here. His performance in the Washington game was great. Jacksonville were idiots for letting him go.

Hopefully the Steelers will get him back someday if he doesn't pan out with the Bucs.

lilyoder6
04-12-2009, 01:42 PM
not bad pick-up for the bucs.. open competition with mccown..
but now with that.. will the bucs still look at freeman??

Rick5895
04-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Lefty will be the starter in TB. Let's get Batch singed, move Dixon to #2 and have Batch at # 3.
I hope Leftwich starts and goes to the pro bowl.

devilsdancefloor
04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/4/12/gumby12001/f_SuperStock1m_cc87839.jpg

Heres to lefty hope ya win the starting job!

OneForTheToe
04-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Lefty will be the starter in TB. Let's get Batch singed, move Dixon to #2 and have Batch at # 3.
I hope Leftwich starts and goes to the pro bowl.

You know that is not a bad idea. If Dixon progesses far enough that could be the ticket. Let Batch be the emergency QB. If, god forbid, Ben were to go down for a few games Batch would be available to be the starter. He could also come into the game as the emergency QB in the fourth quarter. This might give us a chance to see what Dixon can do.

ricksteelers55
04-12-2009, 02:48 PM
As long as we dont bring back Brian St-Pierre,im fine...oh wait The Arizona Steelers already re-signed him for 1 million a year

Curtain_of_Steel
04-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Now thats done we dont have to duscuss about over paying for this way.

I don't think Batch is the guy either being out a year. Who else is out there for one year who wants a ring?

stillers4me
04-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Good Luck, Byron and thanks for a great year in the black and gold.

I think his service as a practice qb for the defense paid off in spades and he was a locker room favorite. I'm sure the door will always be be open for him in the future.

mrh1886
04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm perfectly content in having Dixon as our
2nd QB. I say we bump Batch to the coaching squad, And bring in Rex Grossman as our 3rd QB. I have a great deal of confidence in Dixon, And IMO I think he will be a great 2nd QB and eventually take over for BB when the day comes. Oh and I forgot to mention, This is my first post!!! I've been here reading for over a year now, But I've finally just signed up!!

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I didn't expect him to come back unless he had absolutely no takers whatsoever.

He wants to at least be able to compete to start, and there was no way he was getting that chance in Pittsburgh.

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm perfectly content in having Dixon as our
2nd QB. I say we bump Batch to the coaching squad, And bring in Rex Grossman as our 3rd QB. I have a great deal of confidence in Dixon, And IMO I think he will be a great 2nd QB and eventually take over for BB when the day comes. Oh and I forgot to mention, This is my first post!!! I've been here reading for over a year now, But I've finally just signed up!!

Welcome! :drink:

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2009, 05:46 PM
i made the call !!! :dancing:

i think he goes to either tampa bay, or NY.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=33882&highlight=leftwich

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Speaking of New York, why wouldn't they want Lefty? :scratchchin:

Stillers33
04-12-2009, 07:02 PM
o boy the pirates can win now haha

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't know. Those rules for comp picks are pretty convoluded. You only get comp pick for players under 30 years old, over 275 pounds, who signed with as a free agent with another team on a Tuesday or Thursday before 2:00, not including leap years, unless your team is from Boston where you get a comp pick for losing the assistant to the traveling secretary - otherwise known as the Costanza rule.:wink02:

Damn I forgot about all the catches for us non cheating teams.

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I was just over on the Bucs message board and wow they dont want Leftwich at all. Calling him roundboy and bust. For as disappointed we are to lose him they are twice as unhappy to have him.

AllD
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM

It wasn't, it was vet minimum @ $620k each year for two years. Almost an insult if you ask me. But the FO might be looking to move Dixon up anyway.

X-Terminator
I was just over on the Bucs message board and wow they dont want Leftwich at all. Calling him roundboy and bust. For as disappointed we are to lose him they are twice as unhappy to have him.

Did someone bother to remind the Bucs fans that Leftwich isn't so "round" anymore and actually showed up in Steelers camp in the best shape of his career?

Guess not.

He's still better than any of the jabronis they've had behind center in the last 5 years.

Good luck, Lefty, and thanks! :drink:

Pi Kapp Steeler
Watch the steelers face the bucs in the superbowl now... and everyone will say that we cheated again after we win

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Did someone bother to remind the Bucs fans that Leftwich isn't so "round" anymore and actually showed up in Steelers camp in the best shape of his career?

Guess not.

He's still better than any of the jabronis they've had behind center in the last 5 years.

Good luck, Lefty, and thanks! :drink:

The actually seem pretty arrogant. They think the team is better of with McCown. Im not impressed with them in general.

SunshineMan21
04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Best of luck to Lefty--a class act and a solid teammate while he was here. Here's hoping he gets the starting role he deserves in Tampa!

HometownGal
04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
While I'm not happy to see him go, I'm happy FOR Byron. He'll have the chance he was hoping for to be an NFL starter and he so deserves that opportunity. :thumbsup: The only drawback here is that if Batch is called upon to come in for Ben, I'll be popping TUMS like candy. :horror:

Steel-Bryan
04-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I was on a TB forum, and all the guys there said they DONT want leftwich and shudnt even give him a chance to compete for the starting job, they also said he's sucked hisa whole life. Ungrateful bastards !

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 10:26 PM
They'll change their minds when he doesn't suck as bad as McCown.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Im excited about Dixon because you know that he can run. And I have confidence in him because of that.

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Im excited about Dixon because you know that he can run. And I have confidence in him because of that.

Ya im imagine Ben gets hurt for a couple play or a quarter. Dixon would be an annoying change of pace for opposing defenses.

SteelersMongol
04-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Finally. (it's not like I hated Lefty & wanted him 2 leave us, but it was just taking little 2 long). Now V can steer clear with our good ol' Batch. I wish Lefty the best of luck.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Well, I guess this was inevitable. In hindsight, we probably shouldn't have been holding out too much hope on this one. It was like, when is any one of 20 potential situations going to come along and snag him away from us?

Galax Steeler
04-13-2009, 06:21 AM
I was wanting Byron back but it didn't happen so I have to wish him well. I just hope the front office has a good plan know that he is gone.

stlrtruck
04-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I think the bucs played possum, waiting to see what would happen and then when he got our offer then they were ready to throw money at him.

Michael Keller
04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Instruct Charley not to take off and run during the pre season and play the kid more. Finally draft an offensive lineman for the long run and most of KEEP BEN HEALTHY.

Fire Haley
04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
The two-year deal they gave Leftwich is worth $7.5 million.

Leftwich is scheduled to earn $2 million in base salary in 2009 and the same in 2010.

There's also a $3.5 million roster bonus for 2010.

If Leftwich doesn't earn the starting job or doesn't perform well, he'll be gone before that $3.5 million bonus is due.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-7-160/Leftwich-s-deal-is-one-year-audition.html

SteelMember
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Well crap. He was a solid backup for us.

Good Luck Byron...Back to Florida with you. :wave:

klick81
04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
This sucks! Just when I was starting to get my hopes up since no one seemed to be paying any attention to him.

Best of luck to Byron...hope he has a lot of success!

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 10:20 AM
wow.. not a bad contract for lefty..

now it would look like the steelers will try and re-sign batch...

and batch helps dixon out even more.. so dixon can be rdy to be the #2 guy

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Not a bad signing by Tampa - assuming they draft a QB this year, Leftwich could be a nice one-stop gap for them as this young QB learns the system.

Rek
04-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Not a bad signing by Tampa - assuming they draft a QB this year, Leftwich could be a nice one-stop gap for them as this young QB learns the system.

Agreed. He has a rocket of an arm that blasts receivers backwards before they can catch them. Makes me glad Tampa's in the NFC.
Good Luck Lefty.

SC Steeler Steve
04-13-2009, 01:45 PM
It's true, and why would him leaving be surprising? He wants to play, full time, and he has a huge chance to do that in Tampa. I wish him nothing, but the best. He came here, did his job, and contributed to a Super Bowl season. Enjoy that ring BL, and remember, you were a Steeler for one glorious year....

I dont think he could ever forget something as special as playing for THE STEELERS... But if he does all he needs to do is look at his finger and he will remember quickly... Good luck Byron, I hope you get your starting job...

AllD
04-13-2009, 06:34 PM
No doubt Tomlin also gave his former associate in Tampa all the necessary info on Leftwich. Good luck and thank you BL.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Good Luck Byron!!!!

mrh1886
04-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Lefty is in great shape, And I really think he's going to take TB deep into the playoffs. Gonna miss you buddy, Don't forget about us!!!

HometownGal
04-14-2009, 06:20 AM
I was on a TB forum, and all the guys there said they DONT want leftwich and shudnt even give him a chance to compete for the starting job, they also said he's sucked hisa whole life. Ungrateful bastards !

If Byron turns that offense around, watch the same idiots gouge each others eyes out for seats on the Byron Leftwich bandwagon. :rolleyes:

lilyoder6
04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
If Byron turns that offense around, watch the same idiots gouge each others eyes out for seats on the Byron Leftwich bandwagon. :rolleyes:

that is true.. and it actually looks like he can do that.. with the addition of winslow and ward.. the offense will be sitting pretty

steelerdave1969
04-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Leftwich is a decent QB and seems like a great leader by example out on the field. I wish him luck in Tampa and I dont wish bad things on him unless he faces the Steelers in super bowl xliv...