PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs sign Zach Thomas

The Duke
04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
The Chiefs added another part to their defense Saturday when they agreed to contract terms with veteran linebacker Zach Thomas.

Thomas turns 36 in September, but he has made seven trips to the Pro Bowl in his 13 NFL seasons. His most recent Pro Bowl season came in 2006 with Miami, but Thomas started 14 games last year in his first season with Dallas after 12 years with the Dolphins.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1137935.html

I like what he chiefs are doing. Derrick Johnson gets help with Vrabel and Thomas, 2 pretty good veterans.

Thomas is better at 4-3, but the man is experienced, he can help a lot

Watch them draft Curry at #3 to learn behind Vrabel and get Tyson Jackson or Gilbert in ound 2 and their defense could be really good in the next 2-3 years.

St33lersguy
04-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Good signing, those young linebackers need some help & veteran tutoring from pro bowlers.

KeiselPower99
04-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Which defensive scheme are they goin with this year?

The Duke
04-12-2009, 12:44 PM

3-4

or at least a hybrid like the packers

I still wonder where glenn dorsey fits though :noidea:

XxKnightxX
04-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Dorsey If you ask me might go on a 3-4 DE/ shaded nose formation. Im wondering about Tamba Hali and where he will go. Hes undersized for a 3-4 DE but this guys played soccer all his life so he has a V12 motor on those legs so it will be interesting if he will even be there any longer.

The Duke
04-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Dorsey If you ask me might go on a 3-4 DE/ shaded nose formation. Im wondering about Tamba Hali and where he will go. Hes undersized for a 3-4 DE but this guys played soccer all his life so he has a V12 motor on those legs so it will be interesting if he will even be there any longer.

Hali gets traded on draft think I believe. He doesn't seem like he can convert to LB to me

but what the hell do I know....

Steelman16
04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I love how everyone is switching to the 3-4. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
04-12-2009, 02:46 PM
good signing by the cheifs i guess... u get rid of donnie edwards and pick up another old mlb

Galax Steeler
04-13-2009, 07:53 AM
I can see Thomas nothing more then a good mentor to some of the younger players. He is at that age where his play is headed down hill.

revefsreleets
04-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Hmmmm...in the 3-4 though, it's more about assignment, and these guys are definitely going to be disciplined and deliver in that regard.

Also, as many have said, any young talent is definitely going to benefit from all these mentors...

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Hmmmm...in the 3-4 though, it's more about assignment, and these guys are definitely going to be disciplined and deliver in that regard.

Also, as many have said, any young talent is definitely going to benefit from all these mentors...

Todd Haley is also a former Bill Parcells student.

Pt being that IF he runs the 3-4 like Parcells did in Dallas(a bend-but-don't-break, the d-linemen just merely react but don't attack, ultimately NO pressure D), then the Chiefs 3-4 won't be very effective.

I believe Tony Sporano uses the same philosophy in Miami - good, tough D playing the 3-4, but ultimately has an ineffective pass rush.(outside of maybe Joey Porter)

BTW - I don't know why more times are trying to run this scheme when they don't even have the PERSONNEL to do it. For example, some don't have that monstrous 3-4 NT like a Hampton or Wilfork, while others have slow, albeit thin depthed LB corps.

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
BTW - I don't know why more times are trying to run this scheme when they don't even have the PERSONNEL to do it. For example, some don't have that monstrous 3-4 NT like a Hampton or Wilfork, while others have slow, albeit thin depthed LB corps.

like anything else.. it's a copycat league.. they seeing the steelers and ravens, even dolphins and patriots get all of this pressure and sacks.. and they think that they can do it 2 win a ring

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 11:46 AM
like anything else.. it's a copycat league.. they seeing the steelers and ravens, even dolphins and patriots get all of this pressure and sacks.. and they think that they can do it 2 win a ring

True - it was alot like Bill Walsh's WCO system...a decade later, when Walsh's assistants were expanding, and then HOLMGREN started an umbrella with his assistants, the MAJORITY of teams in this league started running it.

But still...even then, a good portion of teams that TRIED to run the WCO ended up failing miserably - partly b/c they didn't get a proper OL for it(i.e. big, beefy guys are wrong for this system), partly b/c they couldn't get receivers who could beat the jams at the LOS, partly b/c they couldn't get RBs who could catch, etc...the WCO just needed THE complete package.

Joe Gibbs' bread-and-butter "The Counter Trey" was another classic example - after the Redskins won their 2nd Super Bowl under him in '87, other teams started falling in love with it...then the next thing we know, more teams started running it, which meant it lead to more times having to DEFEND it, and VOILA...the play became extinct b/c no longer was there any originality to it.

revefsreleets
04-13-2009, 01:45 PM
To be fair, this has happened before. The one CONSTANT has been the Steelers running the 3-4....EFFECTIVELY.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
They might consider taking Sanchez with their pick.

That way, at least they'd have a USC quarterback who was good enough to start.

Rek
04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
They might consider taking Sanchez with their pick.

That way, at least they'd have a USC quarterback who was good enough to start.

But...but.. Pats fans were all saying last year on how great Cassel was for a rookie and the schedule he had to face and :blah:

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 02:11 PM
To be fair, this has happened before. The one CONSTANT has been the Steelers running the 3-4....EFFECTIVELY.

Yep - with the PROPER personnel, the 3-4 D is awfully hard to exploit. I remember your Super Bowl with the Hawks - the Hawks O had a hard time sustaining drives b/c of just that...it was incredibly difficult more times than not for Holmgren to guess what play the Pitt D was going to run. One minute Holmgren would make a great playcall, the next minute, he makes a playcall that looks disasterous.

Overall - the beauty of it is you only have 3 DL, and with the 4th OLB rusher, you DON'T know what side it'll come from...from there, there's just too many chess pieces you can design your blitzes with.

steelerdave1969
04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
The Chiefs are definitely moving in the right direction now days. I think this team with another good draft later this month and they are in the running in year or so to be the top dawgs in the afc west.

steelerdave1969
04-13-2009, 04:26 PM

The Chiefs must stick with it more than a year or 2 to get it right. That is what is wrong with all these other teams unlike the Steelers, it is gonna take more than 3 or 4 years to get the system where you need it to be.

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
the cheifs are heading into the right direction have good picks this yr that will help out..
y not trade gonzo and LJ and get something out of them since evryone and there moms know they are rebuilding... gonzo only has a few more yrs left, and those yrs will be the cheifs rebuilding system.. and lj gets into trouble and they still have smith charles

JPPT1974
04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Combination of youth and experience, will get you a long way.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Security Blue Tampa 2:noidea:

AARP Zone Blitz:noidea:

AllD
04-13-2009, 07:23 PM
They might as well sign Jason Taylor too.

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 08:49 PM
The Chiefs are definitely moving in the right direction now days. I think this team with another good draft later this month and they are in the running in year or so to be the top dawgs in the afc west.

The Chiefs were never a bad team - having Herm Edwards as your coach is the kiss of death. He'll produce short-term results b/c he's a great motivator and players play hard for him...but over the long haul, his poor game planning/game management will show their ugly rear ends.

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Playing in that division helps...

Hines0wnz
04-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Pioli is definitely putting his fingerprint on that team.