PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Likely To Re-sign Batch

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports the departure of Leftwich means that Charlie Batch is likely to return to the Steelers. Coach Mike Tomlin said he wanted to sign both veteran quarterbacks. Leftwich signed with the Steelers last August after Batch’s clavicle was broken in a preseason game.

Besides starter Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers have one other quarterback under contract, Dennis Dixon, their fifth-round draft choice last year. Batch, 34, has been working out with the Steelers since the end of the season.

http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=989

SteelMember
04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Not to sound hateful, but I think we're the ony ones knocking on that door.

He should sign a minimal contract with a few extra incentives. Maybe moving his parking space closer to entrance will cover that. :noidea: :chuckle:

IamTheSteelGod
04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah I think we will definitely resign Batch now that Leftwich is off the market. Main reason being who else is there and who knows the system as well? :noidea:

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Not to sound hateful, but I think we're the ony ones knocking on that door.

He should sign a minimal contract with a few extra incentives. Maybe moving his parking space closer to entrance will cover that. :noidea: :chuckle:

i agree that we should hit him with the vet min..
and i like ur incentives..
maybe give him a, jump the line pass, when eating as well..
maybe a specialized water bottle

iceman000123
04-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah I think we will definitely resign Batch now that Leftwich is off the market. Main reason being who else is there and who knows the system as well? :noidea:

Thats that I'm thinking to. I not to comfortable with him as Leftwich but he does know the system. So i guess we'll have to wait and see.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Another batch of Charlie likely
By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff
Published: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:16 AM EDT

Even though Charlie Batch is still unsigned, his chances of regaining his job as the Steelers’ backup quarterback in 2009 improved significantly Sunday.

Efforts to re-sign Batch will no doubt intensify now that Byron Leftwich agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Leftwich, the Jacksonville Jaguars’ first-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, signed a one-year contract with the Steelers last summer after Batch broke his collarbone in a preseason game.

An unrestricted free agent, Leftwich would have considered staying in Pittsburgh as Ben Roethlisberger’s backup had no other NFL team given him the chance to be a starter. But the Buccaneers will do just that.

With Tampa Bay in a rebuilding mode — Raheem Morris has replaced Jon Gruden as coach — one of the Bucs’ top priorities is finding a new quarterback. Jeff Garcia, last year’s starter, was cut and has since signed with the Oakland Raiders.

Leftwich, who started 44 games during his four-year stay with the Jaguars, will battle Luke McCown and Brian Griese for the starting job in Tampa. There is also a chance the Bucs may pick a quarterback later this month in the NFL Draft.

The Steelers, who have scheduled two of their 14 organized team activities (OTA) workouts for April 20-21, have two quarterbacks currently under contract: Roethlisberger and Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round pick in last year’s draft.

There is a chance that Batch could be signed sometime this week.

In another off-season development, contract negotiations between the Steelers and outside linebacker James Harrison are expected to resume today.

On Saturday, Harrison’s agent said that an extension that could make Harrison the highest-paid defensive player in Steelers’ history was close to getting done.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/04/13/sports/steelers/doc49e2bc3b6093f719815583.txt

BlastFurnace
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
It could be worse.

Considering that Tomlin wanted to bring in 2 Veteran QB's, don't be surprised if someone else is brought in as well.

Fire Haley
04-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I'll be surprised if Batch can make it out of preseason without breaking something.

We went with just Batch and Dixon last year till he got broke - it could happen again, I suppose, depends on how they look in camp.

Rek
04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Give Dixson a chance.

truesteelerfan
04-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I hope we get to see Dixon play A LOT this preseason....Ben and Charlie won't need many reps hopefully to get back into the swing of things, but with our OL I think we still should bring in either a very late round QB or FA to compete with Dixon to make the roster.

BlastFurnace
04-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Give Dixson a chance.

No thanks. i don't ever want to go back to the Run First, Pass Second style of QB.

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
dixon should have a chance to take the 2 spot from batch during the pre-season/ TC

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I said this in another thread I think you let Dixon try and be the number 2. I think of it as more 2a and 2b. All this dpends on how far Dixon progresses, but Charlie is deactivated for games and designated the emergency qb, while Dixon is the number two. He might be able to get into the game for trickeration. You would have an inexperienced player as a backup to Ben for sure, but Charlie would be able to come in the game if necessary. The Steelers just couldn't take Charlie back out for Ben or anyone else until the fourth quarter( if I understand the rules).

If Ben would go down for a few weeks then maybe as 2b you gives the reins to Charlie and dixon is still the backup.

KeiselPower99
04-13-2009, 07:04 PM
dixon should have a chance to take the 2 spot from batch during the pre-season/ TC

And I believe he will be given that chance. With his raw talents he will see the field alot.

HometownGal
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Sadly, what other choice do we have?

I know Charlie's a nice guy and all and knows the system, but nice guys don't necessarily make good QB's and imho, Charlie isn't and really never has been a good QB. I am going to pray even harder than I usually do that Ben stays healthy the entire season. :hope:

Rek
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Wow guys, Charlie Batch isnt that bad ok? He's been reasonably serviceable and had his moments :noidea:. Just because Ben played like a vet (minus playoff games in '04) right away doesnt mean Dixon can.

You're right, Batch isn't bad at all. I love the guy. Just seeing what Dixson has done in college and his awesome speed and athletic ability, I'd love to see what he can do with the Steelers wideouts.

vasteeler
04-14-2009, 10:13 AM
You're right, Batch isn't bad at all. I love the guy. Just seeing what Dixson has done in college and his awesome speed and athletic ability, I'd love to see what he can do with the Steelers wideouts.

nothing against the guy but i really hope we dont have to see him in a game

X-Terminator
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Why are people so anxious to see Dixon as the #2? I'd sweat if, God forbid, Ben gets hurt and Batch comes in. I'd be in panic mode if they had to rely on Dixon.

Until proven otherwise, he's nothing more than Kordell v2.0. And I had my fill of V1.

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
OK, I think I know what we are going to do at QB:

Depth chart-
1. Ben (QB)
2. Dixon (QB)
3. Harrison (LB/LS/QB)

Make him EARN that 50 million!

steelreserve
04-14-2009, 02:08 PM
The most important thing they can do this year, if you ask me, is get Dixon listed as something other than the #3 QB, so he's allowed to actually be in the game. I'm sure we can do without the services of some backup-backup special teams guy, or the backup-backup-backup-backup RB on game day if we absolutely have to. Then list Dixon as a WR or a RB, or whatever the hell you want. This will open the door for all kinds of trickery -- and even if we don't actually USE trick plays, just the ability to have him as a decoy would trow people off.

Or just get rid of Carey Davis; that would solve the problem too.

HometownGal
04-14-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm sorry, but in his 4 years with Detroit (with 2 pretty darned good wideouts) as a starter and as the backup QB here in Pittsburgh, I've just not been impressed with him overall. He is a fine young man, is a great team mate and total team player, and does a lot for the kids here in the Burgh, but every time he's had to come into the game in relief of Ben, my stomach does the Electric Slide. :horror: I felt Leftwich was a huge upgrade and I believe Dixon, with some more playing experience, will be a huge upgrade as well. I feel Charlie would make an excellent coach at some point, however, and I would much prefer to see him in that capacity than on the playing field.

steelreserve
04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry, but in his 4 years with Detroit (with 2 pretty darned good wideouts) as a starter and as the backup QB here in Pittsburgh, I've just not been impressed with him overall. He is a fine young man, is a great team mate and total team player, and does a lot for the kids here in the Burgh, but every time he's had to come into the game in relief of Ben, my stomach does the Electric Slide. :horror: I felt Leftwich was a huge upgrade and I believe Dixon, with some more playing experience, will be a huge upgrade as well. I feel Charlie would make an excellent coach at some point, however, and I would much prefer to see him in that capacity than on the playing field.

Well, at least he's better than Maddox. He gives us a fighting chance to win a game. If Dixon ends up better than him, then great. If not, it's not the end of the world. But I do know that Dixon is doing exactly dick for us if he sits on the bench again all year, which would be pretty disappointing given his intrigue.

HometownGal
04-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, at least he's better than Maddox. He gives us a fighting chance to win a game. If Dixon ends up better than him, then great. If not, it's not the end of the world. But I do know that Dixon is doing exactly dick for us if he sits on the bench again all year, which would be pretty disappointing given his intrigue.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree that BOTch is a better QB than Maddox. At least Maddox had one pretty damned good season where he played a huge part in us almost going to the AFC title game had it not been for the Academy Award performance by Joe Nedney. (And - at least Maddox knew how to properly throw a lateral pass - LOL!) :wink02: Tommy was a one and done (largely due to his injuries which he never overcame). Batch, imho, just doesn't have the talent - period.

I give credit where credit is due. How soon you people forget what Maddox brought to the Steelers during that 2002 season.

That being said, however, I will support him as he is a member of the team I've loved all my life. I just hope and pray that Ben stays healthy this season.

Rek
04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Why are people so anxious to see Dixon as the #2? I'd sweat if, God forbid, Ben gets hurt and Batch comes in. I'd be in panic mode if they had to rely on Dixon.

Until proven otherwise, he's nothing more than Kordell v2.0. And I had my fill of V1.

How can he be proven if he's not in important-game situations?

Rek
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't agree that BOTch is a better QB than Maddox. At least Maddox had one pretty damned good season where he played a huge part in us almost going to the AFC title game had it not been for the Academy Award performance by Joe Nedney. (And - at least Maddox knew how to properly throw a lateral pass - LOL!) :wink02: Tommy was a one and done (largely due to his injuries which he never overcame). Batch, imho, just doesn't have the talent - period.

I give credit where credit is due. How soon you people forget what Maddox brought to the Steelers during that 2002 season.

That being said, however, I will support him as he is a member of the team I've loved all my life. I just hope and pray that Ben stays healthy this season.

I agree, people LOVED Tommy-Gun until Ben stepped in. I think people see Batch as more of a motivator and teacher, rather than an acceptable backup QB.

Rek
04-15-2009, 10:53 AM

See with me its reversed. Whenever Batch has to come on the field, I don't feel any nerves when he's about to throw the ball. But when Leftwich was on duty, I could feel my muscles tense up when he went to rocket the ball, mostly because I thought our receivers would get decked looking for a ball that was 2 feet too high and screaming in at 400mph.