PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign James Harrison

Big7BenHOF
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09103/962504-100.stm

The Steelers have signed linebacker Jazmes Harrrison to a new contract that will psy him 51.75 milliopm dollars over the next six years.

Hearrison, the NFL's 2008 defensive player of the year, will receive 20 million dollars in bonus money.

BrandonCarr39
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Not a bad deal at all for someone who's one of the best pass rushers in the business. For a minute, I thought he wanted Albert Haynesworth money.

fansince'76
04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice. :thumbsup:

StainlessStill
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Now that we locked up our main man, it's time to roll. Bring on the 2009-'010 season!!!!!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_620426.html

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-13-2009, 11:32 AM
hallelujah! :getdown:

MaidenIndiana
04-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I guess Christmas came early this year for both Harrison and the Steeler nation:tt03:

memphissteelergirl
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Yay-uh! :applaudit::tt02:

Fire Haley
04-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah baby.

We needed this one done.

Steely McSmash
04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Nice. 6 years eases out that cap hit.

Sharkissle29
04-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Woooo so excited. I figured we'd sign him for 4-5 years, 6 years is that much more beautiful

tyler289
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Just to put some perspective on it:

The defensive player of the year got 6 years, 51.75 million, with 20 million guaranteed.
DeAngelo Hall, who was cut by the Raiders and picked up by the Redskins to play nickel corner, got 6 years, 55 million, with 23 million guaranteed.

CPanther95
04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
$20 million in "bonus money" - but what portion of the contract is guaranteed?

Vincent
04-13-2009, 12:36 PM

The defensive player of the year got 6 years, 51.75 million, with 20 million guaranteed.
DeAngelo Hall, who was cut by the Raiders and picked up by the Redskins to play nickel corner, got 6 years, 55 million, with 23 million guaranteed.

Ours is a very reasonable deal considering the stupidity elsewhere in the league. Kudos to the front office and to James and his agent for not being ridiculous.

How do the skins get anywhere near the cap with these idiot signings?

BTW, I think the Hall deal was deals. The raiders signed him for stupid money and he played in 6 games then they cut him so he got his guaranteed money. Then the skins picked him up and gave him more money.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 12:43 PM

The only thing that shows is how stupid the Raiders and Redskins both are. To give us any kind of "perspective", that deal would have had to involve real teams.

I'm glad we got Harrison back, but that's definitely not cheap. We're basically locking in franchise-tag salary for the next six years. Pretty generous of us, considering that we could've retained his services for about 3 years, $18 million if we'd wanted to.

fansince'76
04-13-2009, 12:43 PM
How do the skins get anywhere near the cap with these idiot signings?

The 'Skins are exempt from the cap - at least they seem to be.

Tankus_Maximus
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Awesome!!

Win-win for everybody involved!!!

Here's to going back-to-back baby!!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
The 'Skins are exempt from the cap - at least they seem to be.

The 'Skins pay as much attention to the cap as the Pats due to the rules.:chuckle:

touchdownward
04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
YES!!!! I've been sweatin' this one. Got him locked up for 6 years to boot. :tt03:

BehindSteelCurtain
04-13-2009, 01:00 PM
He obviously wanted to be a Steeler. He could have easily gotten a 6 year 90 million deal from some other team.

Indo
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
A Steeler 'til the end...that's what I wanted to see :tt03:

IamTheSteelGod
04-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes! Made up my best D# player is staying in the Black and Gold! :tt02: Just a quick question though, what does the guaranteed money actually mean?

XxKnightxX
04-13-2009, 01:07 PM
wooo just like my sig, unleash the beast, someone put some money around my sig to add some comedy to it lol.

But this off season has been perfect if you ask me. Our team is intact, and now we have the draft coming up? Now its up to the coaches to develop the players and to keep a right mind set. congrats to Harrison, you earned every penny.

XxKnightxX
04-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes! Made up my best D# player is staying in the Black and Gold! :tt02: Just a quick question though, what does the guaranteed money actually mean?

It means you get the money even if you get cut tomorrow. A lot of contracts in NFL have a lot of Incentives so guaranteed money is the money that matters most to players, hard work will earn them the bounuses.

stlrtruck
04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Not a bad deal at all for someone who's one of the best pass rushers in the business. For a minute, I thought he wanted Albert Haynesworth money.

Maybe he was happy with what he got and a chance to win another Super Bowl instead of just the money!

AllD
04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Sensible deal for both sides. Bet Harrison plays like he is getting paid Haynesworth money anyway. Hopefully he doesn;t go out and buy a new Hyabusa or go clubbing with a loaded handgun in his sweats.

CPanther95
04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
or go clubbing with a loaded handgun in his sweats.

Just register the damn thing and get a concealed carry permit or belt holster and there won't be a problem shooting yourself in the leg.

Fire Haley
04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
what does the guaranteed money actually mean?

It means William Gay is a very happy man.

revefsreleets
04-13-2009, 02:10 PM
20 mil guaranteed scares me a little.

But overall I'm happy that he's going to be a Steeler for the forseeable future, and that we will once again comnpletely discredit that toolbag Florio.

truesteelerfan
04-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Despite the fact that he's over 30, his body doesn't have a lot of "football" wear on it compared with most LB who are his age....hopefully this means he'll retire with us instead of us letting him go towards the end of this contract

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I was waiting to respond until I could pick the best James Harrison signs contract topic. This is as good as any. This is a good deal for the Steelers and James. 20 million guarenteed may seem like a lot, but wait until you see what pushover Jeery give Ware. this will seem like a very good deal in comparison.

St33lersguy
04-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Glad Harrison is officially locked up for the next 6 years. As for the money, he earned his money unlike some people *cough* Deangelo Hall*cough

Galax Steeler
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
So glad to see this one done. We will be able to sit back and watch Woodley and Harrison for the next few years giving quartetbacks a fit.:chuckle:

IamTheSteelGod
04-13-2009, 03:02 PM
It means you get the money even if you get cut tomorrow. A lot of contracts in NFL have a lot of Incentives so guaranteed money is the money that matters most to players, hard work will earn them the bounuses.

So does he only get the full amount of his contract if he stays for the full 6 years?

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
So does he only get the full amount of his contract if he stays for the full 6 years?

Yes, that's how it works. And the more guaranteed money there is, the less we'd save by cutting him sooner than that.

Ishkabibble
04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
You have to be happy for guys like Harrison. Undrafted, he flat-out had to earn his big payday. It's head scratching how the Steelers (and the Patriots) uncover these kinda bargains, season after season, year after year.
Somewhat related, I was reading about Titans QB Vince Young over the weekend. He's gonna count $4.5 against the cap next year and $14 million in 2010, so this will almost certainly be his last year in Tenn. If Collins stays the starter next season, Young will end up being a catastrophic waste of $25 million for the Titans, not to mention a completely-blown third overall pick. The guys out there like Harrison; the ones that have to earn their keep before getting paid, they're the ones I'm happy for.

steelerdave1969
04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice. 6 years eases out that cap hit.

I love James Harrison and what he has brought to the Steelers, but he will never be here for all of those 6 years ... no way. Maybe I am wrong and I hope that I am, but that means he would be 37 years old and at LB ... that aint gonna work for the Steelers in their 3-4 scheme... he will start losing speed soon and that is what the 3-4 defensive LB's are all about.. I just dont like that long of a contract for someone his age at his position.

OX1947
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
I really believe the other 29 teams in the league do not figure the Raiders, Redskins and Cowboys into the market. I think they all know those 3 teams over pay and run horrible football. They may make alot of money business wise, but football is secondary to those teams.

Steelers only have Heath Miller left to sign before the season starts in my opinion. Steelers have many free agents next year but Heath Miller is by far the most important one to sign up now that Harrison is signed.

Steelman16
04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
This is a relief! Whoever said the Steelers are close-fisted? Second-highest paid player in Steelers history behind only Big Ben.

YEEEAAAAAAH!

:thumbsup:

CPanther95
04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Where did you guys see that $20 million was guaranteed?

wootawnee
04-13-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200708/20070829mfharrison2_500.jpghttp://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/NotoriousRja4/james-harrison.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/09/02/218x298/James-Harrison-Super-Bowl_1858111.jpghttp://thumbnails.hulu.com/14/384/66697_512x288_generated__YLPWR-oX5kOl2tUnNJH-QA.jpg Of all the guys in the league he deserves it the most....From where he came from he knows what its like to be on the bottom.......He really worked hard on his game, the steelers system,his body,his attitude.......Way to go brother....Keep up the hard work and dont let up until your done cause it will only make you great......Peace out brudda......

Blackvette
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Woooo so excited. I figured we'd sign him for 4-5 years, 6 years is that much more beautiful

Ya great...he'll be a productive 37 years old when his contract is up! :tap:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Woooooooot!

Looks like my next jersey (after I get Hines Ward) is gonna be a James Harrison!

Silverback...a Steeler for life!

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 05:41 PM
i;m kind glad we got him.. but the man is alrdy 31... hopefully with him not playing early in his career.. he will have more in the tank later down the road

Shoes
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Just wonderful :tt:

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Am i the only one who's surprised its 6?

Not really. His agent seemed like he was pretty gimme gimme gimme. I wonder if this doesn't mean we try and trade him 3-4 years into it so we won't have to eat all that guaranteed money. Or I guess at that point, he might retire, and then I don't think we're stuck with a big cap hit anyway.

klick81
04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
WOOT WOOT!!! Here we go baby!!!

Steely McSmash
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I can stop holding my breath now, but the 6 years has me raising my eyebrows just a bit. Maybe the FO thinks Deebo's got a generous amount of longevity left in him because oh his first 4 seasons in Pittsburgh when he didnt play that much. Am i the only one who's surprised its 6?

I know that the word on the street is that the Steelers do not mortgage the future for the present but that's what they may have done here. It's unclear how much of the 20Mil is guaranteed and how much is roster bonuses and workout bonuses for future years.

IF it were all a signing bonus and Harrison plays 3 more years then we cut him, we'll have a 10 Mil cap hit that year. Unitl the total amount of the signing bonus is known, it's a bit hard to know how much of a gamble this is. You have to think that there is a sizable bonus at play here and the end of the contract is high base salary to get the numbers up for the media. At some point we'll be carrying a cap hit for cutting Harrison unless we trade him or he defies all expectations and plays as a 37 year old LB.

However unitl that time, and very importantly this year and next, his cap hit is likely minimal due to the 6 year contract.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I still don't know how they're going to fit this under the cap THIS season. Seems like he'll be making several million a year, and we've only got a couple million to work with. Wonder who's getting cut?

Also, as far as playing until he's 37 ... you don't really see that a whole lot, but I wonder if they're thinking he could eventually move to ILB and squeeze out a couple more good years that way since you don't have to rely on speed as much? You occasionally see guys do that; wonder if he's cut out for it. In any case, I'm sure whatever we did had to be crafted so as not to have a ton of dead money at the end, because we're not stupid and we're not insane enough to expect him to play until he's that old unless he's taking enough steroids to kill a horse.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 07:07 PM
All of these assumptions about cap hits are presumed based on the idea that there is a cap following this season. I'm sure there will be something in place eventually, but we can throw out "caponics" as we know it.

Preacher
04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
20 mil guaranteed scares me a little.

But overall I'm happy that he's going to be a Steeler for the forseeable future, and that we will once again comnpletely discredit that toolbag Florio.

Yep.... and spread over six years is nice... it also means that 30 mill is spread over six years. Figure the cap hit for the bonus money is probably what, 5 mill a year?

Only thing I don't like about it is that if he starts to go south in 3 or 4 years, we have a decent size load of dead money on our hands for a couple years.

fansince'76
04-13-2009, 07:11 PM
All of these assumptions about cap hits are presumed based on the idea that there is a cap following this season. I'm sure there will be something in place eventually, but we can throw out "caponics" as we know it.

Speaking of which, I thought there was a maximum limit of five years put in place by the league for contracts negotiated this offseason due to the impending CBA discussions and possible lockout in 2011? :noidea:

Preacher
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I wonder if the Players are going to try and "reset" the cap. Let every team start off fresh with zero dead dollars so that players can get paid more.

I know a few teams that would probably go for that.

However, the cap will probably stay in place pretty much as we know it. Chances are, it stays in place with a lockout.

tony hipchest
04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Speaking of which, I thought there was a maximum limit of five years put in place by the league for contracts negotiated this offseason due to the impending CBA discussions and possible lockout in 2011? :noidea: it was a 5 year extension tacked onto his current deal. :noidea: not sure but thats what im thinking.

fansince'76
04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
it was a 5 year extension tacked onto his current deal. :noidea: not sure but thats what im thinking.

Actually, that makes sense, since he still had a year remaining on his current deal - forgot about that.

Preacher
04-13-2009, 07:34 PM
it was a 5 year extension tacked onto his current deal. :noidea: not sure but thats what im thinking.

Actually, that makes sense, since he still had a year remaining on his current deal - forgot about that.

It does make sense.

I can't help it though... something about this deal worries about concerning the future and salarycap.

I do hope that the Steelers left themselves an out if he gets old and slow.

Though I will say this, the thought of having him, Timmons, and Woodley all on the field at the same time over the next 5 years is thoroughly exciting!

AllD
04-13-2009, 07:37 PM
I can't believe they paid a long snapper so much cash.

stillers4me
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I can't believe they paid a long snapper so much cash.

And a crappy one at that! :toofunny:

tony hipchest
04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Yep.... and spread over six years is nice... it also means that 30 mill is spread over six years. Figure the cap hit for the bonus money is probably what, 5 mill a year?

Only thing I don't like about it is that if he starts to go south in 3 or 4 years, we have a decent size load of dead money on our hands for a couple years.since we have very little wiggle room, his cap hit for this year will probably stay the same, since its already budgeted in. the only thing i can see happening is his base salary being reduced to $605,000 giving us a little under a million in cap relief..

this pushes about 19 million of bonus money spread out over the next 5 years = 4 mil per year. if we have the cap room, we will eat a little of that space and reduce that number to about 3.5 million or so over the next 5 years.

that leaves about 30 million to be paid over the next 5 years in base salary (which averages to about 6 million per year).

year 2 could be 4 mil base.
3-5 mil
4- 6 mil
5-7 mil
6- 8 mil

this is extremely manageable.

if we cut him with 3 years left we eat 10.5 mil (which we wont).
-2 years left we eat 7, and 1 year left we eat 3.5.

if we cut him with 2 years left we break even on the cap hit. if we cut him with 1 year left we actually get 4.5 mil of cap relief.

this is a very good (and most importantly) fair deal.

the steelers way is to provide incentives to their own players as opposed to incentives to other teams players. it shows all their players who make the squad that if you try hard and become great, you will be rewarded and looked at higher than a free agent.

harrisons deal will be the carrot infront of all the other players noses, just like troy and bens deal were.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
It does make sense.

I can't help it though... something about this deal worries about concerning the future and salarycap.

I do hope that the Steelers left themselves an out if he gets old and slow.

Though I will say this, the thought of having him, Timmons, and Woodley all on the field at the same time over the next 5 years is thoroughly exciting!

With respect Peacher, I think you can throw what we know about the cap out the window. If there is no agreement then the players are not going to accept the same kind of cap again. I am hoping that in trade for a less stringent cap the players will relent on an even harder roookie salary cap.

Texasteel
04-13-2009, 08:06 PM
This is great new, and figuring that he has been under payed for the last 2 years, a pretty good price.

He just wanted to be a Steeler, thats all.

jev7452
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
yayyyyy!!!!

SteelersMongol
04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
He obviously wanted to be a Steeler. He could have easily gotten a 6 year 90 million deal from some other team.

Exactly.

Maybe he was happy with what he got and a chance to win another Super Bowl instead of just the money!

:wink02: :thumbsup: :tt02:

MONTANA GRIZ
04-13-2009, 09:50 PM

That's awesome! hahaha

Hopefully Harrison can keep his play up to what it was last year, and bring us #7!

Preacher
04-13-2009, 10:15 PM
since we have very little wiggle room, his cap hit for this year will probably stay the same, since its already budgeted in. the only thing i can see happening is his base salary being reduced to $605,000 giving us a little under a million in cap relief..

this pushes about 19 million of bonus money spread out over the next 5 years = 4 mil per year. if we have the cap room, we will eat a little of that space and reduce that number to about 3.5 million or so over the next 5 years.

that leaves about 30 million to be paid over the next 5 years in base salary (which averages to about 6 million per year).

year 2 could be 4 mil base.
3-5 mil
4- 6 mil
5-7 mil
6- 8 mil

this is extremely manageable.

if we cut him with 3 years left we eat 10.5 mil (which we wont).
-2 years left we eat 7, and 1 year left we eat 3.5.

if we cut him with 2 years left we break even on the cap hit. if we cut him with 1 year left we actually get 4.5 mil of cap relief.

this is a very good (and most importantly) fair deal.

the steelers way is to provide incentives to their own players as opposed to incentives to other teams players. it shows all their players who make the squad that if you try hard and become great, you will be rewarded and looked at higher than a free agent.

harrisons deal will be the carrot infront of all the other players noses, just like troy and bens deal were.

tony,

You paint a very good picture here. I just hope it is accurate. Good post! :thumbsup:

Preacher
04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
With respect Peacher, I think you can throw what we know about the cap out the window. If there is no agreement then the players are not going to accept the same kind of cap again. I am hoping that in trade for a less stringent cap the players will relent on an even harder roookie salary cap.

I guess that is where we agree...

I think the ownership will go for a lockout before they go for a less stringent cap. The cap they now have makes the NFL profitable for every franchise. A Less stringent cap makes it not as profitable, and teams not as able to compete. I don't see the owners agreeing to that

well, with the exception of Oakland Dallas and Washington.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I guess that is where we agree...

I think the ownership will go for a lockout before they go for a less stringent cap. The cap they now have makes the NFL profitable for every franchise. A Less stringent cap makes it not as profitable, and teams not as able to compete. I don't see the owners agreeing to that

well, with the exception of Oakland Dallas and Washington.

I think the owners would trade a slighly less stringent overall cap for a hard cap on rookie salaries. But I agee they will lockout the players.

wootawnee
04-13-2009, 11:53 PM
i;m kind glad we got him.. but the man is alrdy 31... hopefully with him not playing early in his career.. he will have more in the tank later down the road
40 is the new 30..........http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper247/stills/rp650j7f.jpg

tony hipchest
04-14-2009, 12:02 AM
tony,

You paint a very good picture here. I just hope it is accurate. Good post! :thumbsup:well those are fairly generic and rounded numbers pulled out of my ass to illustrate how good (and most importantly...fair) of a contract negotiator omar kahn is.

he doesnt blink twice to the likes of drew rosenhaus, and i would say he hasnt ever screwed the rooney (i still think the staley gamble was a sound one).

just like with the ben or troy contracts, we can either win big, or lose little with this harrison deal.

willie, harrison, farrior, ike, polamalu, ben, aaron smith, all earned the money they received in their subsequent contracts. hell, even max starks over faneca didnt PREVENT us from getting a ring.

mesaSteeler
04-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Great Harrison highlight video here.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e99922&campaign=ec0009

HometownGal
04-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Awesome and much deserved! :applaudit::hatsoff::tt02:

SteelMember
04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Awesome! :tt03:

Now he can just concentrate on hurting people...I mean playing football. :wink02:

steelballs
04-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Job well done front office, well done.

lilyoder6
04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
the monster has finally got a fatty bank account....

now the draft....

chucoblack&gold
04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
hell yeah!!!!!!!!! :tt03::thumbsup:

stillers4me
04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Further proof that God is a Steelers fan. :tt03:

The Duke
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2009/04/14/12/09_HarrisonJames_Signing_dh_062_104609.jpg

what the hell? he can smile!! :chuckle:

guess that's what 50 million does to you

klick81
04-14-2009, 08:06 PM
LOL that picture is hilarious.

Steelman16
04-14-2009, 08:15 PM
He looks almost civil. :laughing:

FredScott
04-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Yea it's good to see someone take less money than what they're probably worth to stay with us for a change. Most players now days go to whoever can give them the most money. I'm sure if he has anothe ryear like last he would have gotten a big contract else where but I'm glad he choose to stay.

Hines0wnz
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Well deserved. Good job by the Rooneys to not let the SB window shorten. :applaudit: