PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB Situation

MDSteel15
04-13-2009, 12:34 PM
For some reason everybody is worried about our backup situation. Well lets see!

1. The Steelers have, in my opinion, the toughest QB in the league starting every game with Big Ben.

2. I have no problem with us re-signing Charlie Batch as our backup now that Byron is with Tampa Bay. He knows our playbook up and down, and as far as I am concerned, performed as well as anybody when he had to come in for Ben.

3. Dennis Dixon is only going into his 2nd season and most everybody still has ???s about if he could come in because he is more of an athlete than a pure QB.

So here's my thing... we don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB, so what about a tall guy that was projected a lot higher a couple seasons ago? This guy has a good arm, was projected higher before injuries and playing in a run run then pass offense, and struggling his senior season with a new coach and offense! This guy is...

Stephen McGee of Texas A&M! I really liked him his first 3 years down there. He is projected to go anywhere between round 6 to rookie free agent! We get a 5th round comp pick that we could use or any of our other picks after that. It couldn't hurt and we can put him on the practice squad if we do re-sign Charlie....

What do you all think???

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
We're not going to carry four QBs, and I don't see where this guy would fit on the depth chart other than end of the bench. Next year might be another story, because Batch is really starting to get up there in years.

And also, Dixon isn't the typical "athletic" college QB you think of who has an inaccurate arm and only knows how to run around like an idiot or throw poorly timed fade routes into double coverage. The guy was a legitimately good QB in college who also happened to be fast. I have a feeling we'll see some good things out of him if we give him a chance.

MDSteel15
04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
We wouldn't be carrying 4, he would go to the practice squad as I stated....

triphahn
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm pretty high on Dixon and think he can be developed. I'd really like to see the Steelers use that extra 5 pick on Frank Summers.

SunshineMan21
04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm a big fan of Dixon . . . I'm not sure that we'll have need for another QB for another decade. Considering we have Ben and Dixon, the problem isn't that there's nowhere for him to play next year--it's that there's nowhere for him to play down the road.

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
the qb situation will be fine.. batch will re-sign.. and dixon will just get better.. no reason 2 waste a draft pick on a qb... even they want to sign him as a udfa, and has a body bag 4 camp... then idc..