PDA

View Full Version : Who Next?

Give It To Abercrombie
04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
So, now that Harrison has been extended, that leaves a few other players scheduled to become free agents after next season including:

TE Heath Miller
WR Hines Ward
NT Casey Hampton
LB Larry Foote
RB Willie Parker
DE Brett Keisel
C Justin Hartwig
S Ryan Clark
K Jeff Reed
OT Willie Colon
OT Max Starks

I have a question. Two actually. Assume we extend someone else before the season starts:

Who do you WANT it to be?

Who do you think is most LIKELY to be extended?

I want it to be Heath Miller. I think Miller is also most likely.

Cheers. :drink:

tyler289
04-13-2009, 01:27 PM
That list gives me such an enormous headache. Yikes.

I think Heath and Hines will be signed before the year starts.

I think Foote will be gone after this year.

fansince'76
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I think Parker will be more than likely gone after 2009. I'd love to see Heath extended.

truesteelerfan
04-13-2009, 01:38 PM
I think we need to resign Clark, Heath, and Reed. Hopefully Ward will take a Number 2 WR salary to finish his career with us (or less). Foote can leave after this year if Timmons performs to his ability, what we do with Hartwig, Hampton, Keisel, and the OL depends on what we do in the draft...IMO

triphahn
04-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I think we need to resign Clark, Heath, and Reed. Hopefully Ward will take a Number 2 WR salary to finish his career with us (or less). Foote can leave after this year if Timmons performs to his ability, what we do with Hartwig, Hampton, Keisel, and the OL depends on what we do in the draft...IMO

That pretty much right on. I also think the progress or lack of with Tony Hills will affect the line and the draft.

Galax Steeler
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I hope Miller is resigned and hopefully Ward. I hope they get it done before next year.

Steelers Since '75
04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
We bundle Foote, Parker, Starks, and Colon and trade them to the Lions for their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year...

I can dream can't I... :wink02:

slippy
04-13-2009, 02:21 PM
gotta keep heath, ryan and reed. the others are up for debate.

Sharkissle29
04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I think we extend clark, miller, reed, and hopefully ward gives us a discount to finish his career here, which i think he will.

I would not be surprised to see the steelers wheel parker in the draft to get a pick/move up. although i think its a small possibility, it still wouldnt surprise me.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Here's my best guess at how it'll turn out

TE Heath Miller - keep
WR Hines Ward - keep
NT Casey Hampton - depends on how much $$$ he demands
LB Larry Foote - gone
RB Willie Parker - gone
DE Brett Keisel - probably gone
C Justin Hartwig - gone
S Ryan Clark - keep unless Raiders/Redskins/Cowboys get him
K Jeff Reed - keep
OT Willie Colon - keep
OT Max Starks - hopefully gone, but probably franchise again because that's all we know how to do with this turd

OX1947
04-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I would like to have Miller, Hines and Reed signed before next year. Those 3 are major needs. And Ryan Clark can be in that group as well. If the Steelers can keep these 4, I would be happy. Everyone else, it will depend on need and how much they are asking for.

The Duke
04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
With that many players there is only one I can guarantee will be back next yer....Jeff Reed

everything else seems iffy to me. yes, even hines and heath....

Steelman16
04-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Out of them all, even with how much I love Hines, Heath is the top priority. He's one of the more underrated players on this team. If we could continue to develop better pass protection, Heath will really start to become a force in the passing game. (even more so than we've ever seen yet)

Reed, Clark and Hines stay IMO. (I think Hines would take a smaller contract to retire a Steeler)

Foote, Parker and Hampton are gone. I agree that the O-line depends largely on how this draft pans out, and how the rest of the offseason ensues.

St33lersguy
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
TE Heath Miller- must keep
WR Hines Ward- must kee[
NT Casey Hampton-probably ggone especially if he asks for too much
LB Larry Foote-gone
RB Willie Parker- depending on his 09 season
DE Brett Keisel- gone
C Justin Hartwig-gone especially if the Steelers get Mack
S Ryan Clark- might be gone,
K Jeff Reed- must keep
OT Willie Colon- hopefully gone
OT Max Starks- hopefully gone

ugh, Next offseason could be hell

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 04:32 PM
next offseason could be hell.. but thats y this draft is pretty important...

i agree that miller should be the next 1..
reed should be the easiest,.. he's a kicker 4 crying out loud..
and then ward should be the next easiest if he would like 2 retire a steeler..

and there is a good possibilty that all lineman, off/def could be gone

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 04:34 PM
So, now that Harrison has been extended, that leaves a few other players scheduled to become free agents after next season including:

TE Heath Miller
WR Hines Ward
NT Casey Hampton
LB Larry Foote
RB Willie Parker
DE Brett Keisel
C Justin Hartwig
S Ryan Clark
K Jeff Reed
OT Willie Colon
OT Max Starks

I have a question. Two actually. Assume we extend someone else before the season starts:

Who do you WANT it to be?

Who do you think is most LIKELY to be extended?

I want it to be Heath Miller. I think Miller is also most likely.

Cheers. :drink:

Colon will not be gone because without a CBA agreement in place he will not become an unrestricted free agent next season. I think we will keep Heath and Jeff for sure. The others are up in the air.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
ugh, Next offseason could be hell

I don't know. Foote's playing time has been diminishing already, Kiesel is good but not irreplaceable, and as far as the O-line goes, there's no one there who I'd be devastated if we lost.

Parker has sucked anyway for the past season and a half (actually, quite a bit longer than that if you ask me) and mark my words -- besides helping the running game, getting his ass out the door will probably cut our number of sacks allowed in half.

There's like 4 guys -- Miller, Ward, Holmes and Clark -- that it's essential to keep, and we ought to have enough money to do that. The rest we ought to be able to fill in for.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Colon will not be gone because without a CBA agreement in place he will not become an unrestricted free agent next season. I think we will keep Heath and Jeff for sure. The others are up in the air.

Aren't Heath and Holmes in the same boat as far as being RFA's if there's no new agreement? I think you'd need six years of service to be a UFA, and Heath would have five and Holmes only four. So that could help us out a little bit as far as those guys are concerned.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Aren't Heath and Holmes in the same boat as far as being RFA's if there's no new agreement? I think you'd need six years of service to be a UFA, and Heath would have five and Holmes only four. So that could help us out a little bit as far as those guys are concerned.

I'm not sure if it 5 or 6 years.

Whichever, it means they will simply would become restricted free agents. The only question I have is do we still get compensation if we tender an offer to them and another team takes them away. I would think we would, but everything goes upside down once the CBA goes away.

Edited to add. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808736ba&template=with-video&confirm=true

A general manager told me that the projections for players scheduled to be free agents -- if it were a capped year -- could be upwards of 170 fewer players if it is uncapped. Every player from the 2005 draft who signed a five-year contract and every player who signed a four-year deal in 2006 would miss out on eligibility for free agency and revert back to their club as a restricted free agent. Keep in mind, teams target this group over all others when it comes to spending the big money in free agency.

And this:

On the surface it might appear that the older veterans would get the windfall with their younger competitors off the market, but this group will take a hit because teams will have three tags instead of one to restrict true veterans from being entirely free. Another general manager projects that this mechanism will lock up 30 players. As you can see, 200 players would be off the market.

Three tags get ready

Interesting

The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

tony hipchest
04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
word on that insidethesteecurtain site (i think- the one posted that announced harrison had agreed to a deal) said that h. miller would be on their radar as soon as harrison was complete. take that for what its worth. its a move i agree w/ along with clark and holmes.

extending hines will actually bring us mucho cap relief (im thinking about 4 mil a year). he costs about 8.75 mil this year.

OX1947
04-13-2009, 07:43 PM
A new agreement will be done. NFL will not see an uncapped year. Waiting an extra 2 years to get big money is not appealing to the players.

Either way, I think the Steelers would be set. Having an extra 2 tags, and with as well as the Steelers draft, having an extra 2 years from the guys we draft, I really do not think the Steelers lose out on this. Even though the Steelers are a small market team, they make a crap load of money from merchandising and money from the stadium.

OX1947
04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
A new agreement will be done. NFL will not see an uncapped year. Waiting an extra 2 years to get big money is not appealing to the players.

Either way, I think the Steelers would be set. Having an extra 2 tags, and with as well as the Steelers draft, having an extra 2 years from the guys we draft, I really do not think the Steelers lose out on this. Even though the Steelers are a small market team, they make a crap load of money from merchandising and money from the stadium.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM

Oh, I believe we will see the uncapped year. Whether there will be a strike thereafter is still debateable.

groundhogday
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
It's Miller time.

devilsdancefloor
04-13-2009, 08:47 PM
i think hines takes a hometown paycut (fingers crossed) and we sign heath withthe extra dough!

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 08:52 PM
i think hines takes a hometown paycut (fingers crossed) and we sign heath withthe extra dough!

I say he either works out a new extention now to lower this seasons cap hit or he is a candidate for a franchise tag in 2010.

HometownGal
04-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Signing Heath, Hines and Jeff "I Hate Paper Towel Dispensers" Reed are musts. After that, it's kind of a mish mash.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
:chug:Think we need to focus on Miller

PalmerSteel
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
no doubt the most vital signing out of everyone on the list is miller because of his age, talent, and the way he fits in to the steelers mold.

mrh1886
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I actually think things with Hines are going to get ugly, But IMO Heath, Reed, And Clark must be re-signed!

MexicanSteeler
04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
if the question is who i WANT to be extended i will put the list in this order

1. hines
2. miller
3. reed
4. clark
5. keisel
6. colon
7. hampton
8. starks
9. parker