PDA

View Full Version : TIMMONS

Shoes
04-13-2009, 05:40 PM
This Kid has to be a starter at some position this year.....what do you think?

slippy
04-13-2009, 05:44 PM
foote is the deshea of the LB corps.

fansince'76
04-13-2009, 05:44 PM
He'll supplant Foote as the starter this season, IMO.

steelreserve
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
This Kid has to be a starter at some position this year.....what do you think?

I think fullback, or else kick returner!

Give It To Abercrombie
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
He'll supplant Foote as the starter this season, IMO.

I agree. I don't think it will be terribly long into the season either, I'm thinking week 5-6.

AND Foote will take it like a man and a good teammate. Then he'll leave as a FA next offseason.

The Duke
04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
We'll see. Foote has done nothing to lose his job

it all depends on timmons development. We've seen him play in spots and be successful. can he do it consistently though?

I'm torn, but so far my money's on foote

Hapa
04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Timmons needs to get better at stuffing the run.

Vincent
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Timmons flashed signs of "disruptive" last year. He's "light" for ILB. But he needs to be on the field.

There is some combination of (and I think the D coaches can figure this out) Harrison, X, Farrior, Woodley Davis that will leave O-coordinators grasping for their chittlins.

I love this team.

tyler289
04-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Timmons was more a factor than I thought he'd be last year. I see him as a playmaker this season.

Preacher
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
The other thing we have to remember about Timmons is that he is being asked to switch to a different position than the one he was drafted for and trained for the first year. Once Harrison proved himself, Timmons got switched to ILB when he originally came out as a OLB for the STeelers.

His development took longer, but I think he is ready to step up. I also think it is time for Foote to take a back seat. I have ALWAYS considered both Foote and Haggans as placeholders between the last great set of LB's and the next great set.

That is no knock on Haggans and Foote. To even be a placeholder is this D is a great feat. . . no pun intended!

Steelman16
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Timmons improved a lot, especially down the stretch last year. If he had the same run stuffing skills as Foote, he'd be starting already.

The man is a beast on 3rd down in the dime or nickel packages though. Freakin' fast for ANY LB.

I think he and Foote will share this year, depending on down/situation, but Timmons will eventually see the majority of the snaps.

St33lersguy
04-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Timmons played like a starter and I believe he played better than Foote this year so he definitely deserves a starting job

Texasteel
04-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Timmons improved a lot, especially down the stretch last year. If he had the same run stuffing skills as Foote, he'd be starting already.

The man is a beast on 3rd down in the dime or nickel packages though. Freakin' fast for ANY LB.

I think he and Foote will share this year, depending on down/situation, but Timmons will eventually see the majority of the snaps.

Your dead right. I don't care who starts, Timmons will see a lot of playing time, and will be read when Foote is no longer here. or his play starts to slip.

devilsdancefloor
04-13-2009, 08:41 PM
we are lucky and blessed to have such great players on our team. Some leave for greener pastures, but for the most part they stay and take less money. I forsee foote doing so geting signed for alot less than he would get else where just to remain a steeler. But at some point and foote already understands that timmons will replace him. I think this years but mid season foote will be situational.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Timmons will be the starter from week 1

Fire Haley
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
You would think a 1st rd pick would be starting by his 3rd year, but not in this case.

Foote is just too good inside taking on blockers and stuffing the run.

Maybe next year he'll start.

mrh1886
04-13-2009, 10:23 PM
IMO, Foote starts the whole season. When he leave in FA, Timmons will step in as the main guy. I think one more year as a backup will do wonders for him, Although I feel he is ready to play now. There is no reason to sit Foote when he is still a proven vet, Let him have a good year and earn a job somewhere else in FA.

lilyoder6
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
i think foote will start at the beginning of the season with timmons coming in like the end of last yr.. and u'll start seeing a transition thru the yr of making timmons a starting ilb

Steelers & I
04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
If Timmons is not the starter at some point this season, then we will be left with no other option other than labeling him as a "bust".

Disagree, argue if you must but there's no excuse for a 1st round draft pick to be sitting on the bench, other than spot duty and special teams, in his 3rd season. I mean after all, he has to beat out Larry Foote in order to start, that's not a tall order.

OneForTheToe
04-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Honestly, who cares who starts? They both end up playing significant time alotted by who we are playing. If we are playing a run oreinted team like the Ratbirds you might see Foote playing more. On the other hand, if we play the Pats, who have no running game to speak of, expect to see Timmons more. Naturally, it is game situation specific as well. How many teams have the luxury of having three inside linebackers that could start for most teams in the NFL? We are lucky to have this issue.

The Duke
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
If Timmons is not the starter at some point this season, then we will be left with no other option other than labeling him as a "bust".

Disagree, argue if you must but there's no excuse for a 1st round draft pick to be sitting on the bench, other than spot duty and special teams, in his 3rd season. I mean after all, he has to beat out Larry Foote in order to start, that's not a tall order.

You are wrong on so many levels

the man played really good last year, he's only going to improve this year. Breaking the lineup in LeBeau's defense is not easy. And btw, sitting on the bench? Timmons is probably involved in in 70% of the defensive series. He's one of the reasons Troy's game improved this year

and you make it sound like foote is nothing special. Watch the man play, there's a reason he's still a starter, and that is his run stuffing, only area I believe timmons still lacks

I see him starting full time next year, when foote leaves

Honestly, who cares who starts? They both end up playing significant time alotted by who we are playing. If we are playing a run oreinted team like the Ratbirds you might see Foote playing more. On the other hand, if we play the Pats, who have no running game to speak of, expect to see Timmons more.

:thumbsup:

couldn't agree more. And seeing as we play the NFC North and AFC West we'll see both of them playing an almost equal amount. neither division can be considered pass happy or run happy, they are a combination

wootawnee
04-13-2009, 11:08 PM
If it aiIf it AIN"T broke......don't fix it.......

Curtain_of_Steel
04-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Timmons played the majority of the def plays in the Superbowl. No reason why he doesn't take over. I do not think they ran much in the superbowl. The secondary was the ones getting burned.

Foote's salary can be used elsehwere. This is unlike typical Steeler loyalty.

tony hipchest
04-13-2009, 11:32 PM
r.
"we"???

do you gotta mouse in your pocket?

timmons on the bench this far has not only seen the steelers win a SB, but saved them millions.

Steeldude
04-14-2009, 12:16 AM
foote is the deshea of the LB corps

i would say he is more like carlos emmons. a servicable/average LB who benefits from a LB friendly system.

Galax Steeler
04-14-2009, 03:16 AM
I think Timmons will be starting this year. Foote is still good but I think it is time for the Timmons era to begin.

Steelers & I
04-14-2009, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE]You are wrong on so many levels

Of course, I expected nothing less.

the man played really good last year, he's only going to improve this year. I agree with that to a point, I don't believe that he played "really good" last season, he played well and I too believe that he will improve this season.

Breaking the lineup in LeBeau's defense is not easy. Well, it sure as hell wasn't difficult for LBers such as Lamarr Woodley, Kendrell Bell, Chad Brown, and even Larry Foote to crack the Steelers lineup. Even veterans such as Kevin Greene and James Farrior stepped right in. Now granted, LeBeau was not the defensive coordinator for all the aforementioned players but the defensive system really hasn't changed much sine 1992.

And btw, sitting on the bench? Timmons is probably involved in in 70% of the defensive series. I would say that percentage is a bit exaggerated.

and you make it sound like foote is nothing special. Watch the man play,

I do watch Foote play and I have no problem with his play. Now I've seen other members bash him on occasion but I think that he's solid. Larry Foote, a 4th round draft selection, was named a Steelers starting ILB in his 3rd season. Imagine, a 4th rounder starts in his 3rd season but we shouldn't expect a 1st rounder to be named the starter by his 3rd season.

Lamarr Woodley, a second round draft choice, is named a Steelers starter at OLB to begin his second season. Some speak of Timmons being moved from OLB to ILB as somewhat of a difficuly transition, fair enough. Woodley a DE by nature, had no problem adjusting to his new position of OLB.

I see him starting full time next year, when foote leaves I hope you're right, however, I would truly like to see him starting next season with Foote as the backup. I don't believe that we should expect anything less from a third year-former first round draft choice. :hatsoff:

Steelers & I
04-14-2009, 05:26 AM
"we"???

do you gotta mouse in your pocket?

timmons on the bench this far has not only seen the steelers win a SB, but saved them millions.

Oh I'm sorry Tony, no worries man,, I would never include you, "The Dean of Steelers Fever Forums" as being included in any of my "weeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss" How insulting that must have been to you. Imagine, I, believing that you may want to jump on board with any of my opinions. Oh my, how stupid of me. Once again, I'm sorry.
:bowdown:

The Duke
04-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Well, it sure as hell wasn't difficult for LBers such as Lamarr Woodley, Kendrell Bell, Chad Brown, and even Larry Foote to crack the Steelers lineup. Even veterans such as Kevin Greene and James Farrior stepped right in. Now granted, LeBeau was not the defensive coordinator for all the aforementioned players but the defensive system really hasn't changed much sine 1992.

difference is, Woodley had Clark Haggans in front of him, a man whose play declined a lot. Timmons has foote, who like you said has been solid, and farrior in front of him

Foote had to beat Bell if I'm not mistaken. Haggans and Bell, you don't even hear their names nowsadays. and Foote is still alive and kicking ass

. I would say that percentage is a bit exaggerated.

probaly, lol

lilyoder6
04-14-2009, 09:28 AM
that percentage is def exaggerated...

but i think evryone does know that foote will unlikely be signed after this yr

Fire Haley
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Sweet dreams.

I like him, but Timmons hasn't proven he can play the run on 1st and 2nd downs as ILB.

Unitl then - he sits and plays the nickle and dime and ST.

We'll need to draft someone to replace Farrior too.

Hammer67
04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I see Timmons replacing Farrior before Foote. Farrior is going to have a drop off year soon...the guy just can't keep doing it at his age,

Hate to see that happen, but that's what I think will.

wootawnee
04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Foote is da man.......He is a huge vocal leader out there and has a ton of experience....He does his job extremely well........Tackles cut -backs......Just hold yer horses.....I just wanna see what Farrior has left in the tank.......

simonsfs30
04-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I see Timmons replacing Farrior before Foote. Farrior is going to have a drop off year soon...the guy just can't keep doing it at his age,

Hate to see that happen, but that's what I think will.

i see that happening too but not this year

timmons played great all season and vs the run its just better foote that doesnt mean timmons its bad ....
replay the game vs the titans timmons read the play (was a run) and tackled for a loss yeah just one play but he has the ability to b great just need playing time

steelwall
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Timmons is the future, Foote, as good as he is now, is the past. Either this year (IMO it will be) or next year he'll be the starter. ... I see him dropping back into coverage alot come this year, and the occasional blitz.

My guess...he will have about 3 or 4 sacks this year but will be 3rd to 4th on total tackles for the team....IMO

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Timmons is an OLB who has the bad fortune of playing behind Wood and Silverback. So he's forced inside. He's actually smallish for ILB. I think he's more talented than Foote, but needs to learn to play with more discipline and control.

I think he only played LB for like 1 year in college, so TONS of upside here.

I could see him taking the spot from Foote this year...

stlrtruck
04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
With the crew he has in front of him, it's going to be difficult but I think he can do it. I believe what really hurt him was having the bad hamstring his first year. That delayed his on the field learning and prevented coaches from getting a good look at him.

This year I think he'll play more but Foote will still control the starting position.

Fire Haley
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Don't forget our defense was extremely fortunate not to have any major injuries for the whole year for the most part, and stayed intact.

Alot of things could change with anyone going down for long.

paw-n-maul-u
04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
poe-tay-toes, poh-tah-toes

... 95 percent of the teams in this league would love to have four stud LB's

... a first RD pick in the wings

... and a third RD pick edge rusher learning from the best OLB combo in the league.

Timmons is going to be a freak, his closing speed is absurd. He only had one year of starting experience, and is still only, what, 22? ridiculous.

I would bet the farm that timmons could have started last year. Every game. We might have had a couple mental lapses ...

but what the steelers lose in consistency from Foote, they more than gain back in big play potential from timmons. I'm sorry, as solid/consistent as Foote is, that tackle total in the Mack position is just sad.

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
If I had to guess, though, I'd say they will look to add 10 lbs of bulk to Timmons if he's designated to play ILB. That isn't really going to slow him THAT much IMO.

I'm curious to see Frazier and Arnold Harrison play in preseason. These are guys who, like Emmons and Gildon and others before kind of hung around and learned the system and then excelled when given the chance to actually play.

I'd say LB is definitely a position of both strength and depth for the Steelers. Considering that Timmons can definitely slide out if need be, that really makes the position solid. You get the feeling like one injury at LB won't cost us a thing, and even 2 might not be that devastating....

tony hipchest
04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
i think timmons did bulk up last year. either that or he wears huge pads. while hes listed as the lightest of our 5 "starters" at 234 he looked bigger than all but woodley.

fwiw, hes only 5 lbs off of footes weight and while training with ike in florida, farrior reportedly got down to 212 and was playing last year at his lightest weight ever.

oh and for steelers & I, no offense but i cant get on board with your wacky claim that WE gotta call timmons a bust. he was drafted as a sophmore whereas foote played in 48 career college games.

steelers play nickel about 50% of the time so timmons and foote esentially split time in his 2nd year. not bad for a raw 21-22 year old.

Steelers & I
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
i think timmons did bulk up last year. either that or he wears huge pads. while hes listed as the lightest of our 5 "starters" at 234 he looked bigger than all but woodley.

fwiw, hes only 5 lbs off of footes weight and while training with ike in florida, farrior reportedly got down to 212 and was playing last year at his lightest weight ever.

oh and for steelers & I, no offense but i cant get on board with your wacky claim that WE gotta call timmons a bust. he was drafted as a sophmore whereas foote played in 48 career college games.

steelers play nickel about 50% of the time so timmons and foote esentially split time in his 2nd year. not bad for a raw 21-22 year old.

Just calling like I see it Tony. That doesn't mean that I'm right but for now, the scale is beginning to favor "bust". Just my opinion of course, I've been wrong before and it cost me a $45.00 donation to the forum.

I guess that I've learned to expect a little bit more from a 1st round draft choice. I don't believe that my claim is at all "wacky". In fact, I think that anyone who believes that Timmons is a "sure thing" just waiting in the wings may be a bit wacky themselves.

I'm all for Timmons succeeding but things don't look real promising thus far. I predict that the Steelers will eventually trade him. The dude definitely has the physical skills so he is apparently lacking upstairs. Or it's possible that his situation may be similar to that of Mike Vrabel's when he was with the Steelers, I don't know???

tyler289
04-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Just calling like I see it Tony. That doesn't mean that I'm right but for now, the scale is beginning to favor "bust". Just my opinion of course, I've been wrong before and it cost me a $45.00 donation to the forum.

I guess that I've learned to expect a little bit more from a 1st round draft choice. I don't believe that my claim is at all "wacky". In fact, I think that anyone who believes that Timmons is a "sure thing" just waiting in the wings may be a bit wacky themselves.

I'm all for Timmons succeeding but things don't look real promising thus far. I predict that the Steelers will eventually trade him. The dude definitely has the physical skills so he is apparently lacking upstairs. Or it's possible that his situation may be similar to that of Mike Vrabel's when he was with the Steelers, I don't know???

What gives you the idea that he's leaning towards bust? He did MUCH better this past season and was a playmaker the whole 2nd half and playoffs.

tony hipchest
04-14-2009, 11:09 PM

:laughing: you definitely said it all.

please dont get offended (yet again) by me LMAO@U

Steelers & I
04-14-2009, 11:40 PM
:laughing: you definitely said it all.

please dont get offended (yet again) by me LMAO@U

Not offended the least bit. This forum is NOTHING but opinions, that's all. I find many of yours to be quite humerous as well.

FredScott
04-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Actually Timmons played mor eplays in the super bowl then foote did so it wouldn't suprise me to see him startign from the get go. And he will be starting at some point this season I'm sure, hes a hell of a ball player, not taking anything away from foote of course.

paw-n-maul-u
04-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Trade Timmons? Christ.

Trade a top 15 draft pick @ LB that is the youngest, fastest, and has potentially the most upside of all the LB's on the depth chart.

Man. How do you even respond to that.

The only thing Timmons has done by not starting is save the steelers millions of dollars come 2011-2012.

Timmons could have started for any team in the league last year not named the pittsburgh steelers or baltimore ravens ...

MAYBE there are five other teams that would designate him the first LB off the bench .... but even that is a stretch.

.. but really, I can name three teams this year (given the offseason moves) in the AFC North that would rather plug in timmons or foote to their starting rotation than any of the alternatives.

The steelers are working him in slowly, yet perfectly.

Last year it would not have made ANY sense to cut foote, financially as well as the risk with such a young player in such a complicated scheme.

This coming year, it still does not make much sense to cut foote financially. He isn't making that much, near the end of his contract, and if one of our LB's goes down, we still have four solid starters no matter which way you arrange them.

Steelers & I
04-15-2009, 03:46 AM
The man sure gets heaps of praise for having done very little over 2 seasons. :noidea:

Goodness sakes, some would be led to believe that he's the reincarnation of Lawrence Taylor.

My point is this, if the Steelers would have drafted an offensive linemen with their 1st round pick two years ago, and all that the O-Lineman had to do to crack the starting lineup was beat out either, an undrafted free agent pick up, a free agent signing, a 4th round draft selection, or a 2nd round draft selection, and he was not able to accomplish this going into his third season, then many of you who are bashing my opinion on Timmons, would be calling that effing offensive linemen a complete freaking bust! Now I know that to be fact.

When the 2nd round draft choice from the very same draft, Lamarr Woodley (A CONVERTED DE), had no problems snaring a starting job at OLB with the Steelers, then one is left with only one conclusion, the 1st round pick isn't anywhere near as good as anticipated. Bust?? maybe not yet but he's headed down that path.

triphahn
04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm sure he will start some games due to injuries but don't see him as a regular starter this year. Next year should be a different story.

stlrtruck
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm sure he will start some games due to injuries but don't see him as a regular starter this year. Next year should be a different story.

The problem is with that, is that he'll be near the end of his contract before he becomes a starter. So we won't know his true value and with the way things are going in the NFL, someone is sure to overpay for him just as he comes in to his prime.

Steel Head
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
The problem is with that, is that he'll be near the end of his contract before he becomes a starter.

And how is that a problem?

We re-sign him for less value then

Besides, Timmons has 3 years left on his current contract.

He is going nowhere.

lilyoder6
04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
The man sure gets heaps of praise for having done very little over 2 seasons. :noidea:

Goodness sakes, some would be led to believe that he's the reincarnation of Lawrence Taylor.

My point is this, if the Steelers would have drafted an offensive linemen with their 1st round pick two years ago, and all that the O-Lineman had to do to crack the starting lineup was beat out either, an undrafted free agent pick up, a free agent signing, a 4th round draft selection, or a 2nd round draft selection, and he was not able to accomplish this going into his third season, then many of you who are bashing my opinion on Timmons, would be calling that effing offensive linemen a complete freaking bust! Now I know that to be fact.

When the 2nd round draft choice from the very same draft, Lamarr Woodley (A CONVERTED DE), had no problems snaring a starting job at OLB with the Steelers, then one is left with only one conclusion, the 1st round pick isn't anywhere near as good as anticipated. Bust?? maybe not yet but he's headed down that path.

well first,, timmons was hurt early in the yr, and i beleive his injury hampered him all season..

B:woodly and timmons playing different spots.. so can't rly judge that

Hines0wnz
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
foote is the deshea of the LB corps.

Funny but not completely true.....at least not yet.

LVSteelersfan
04-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorry but I've seen Foote lose too many battles in foot speed and get blasted past. He will be history soon as I think his foot speed will only get slower. Timmons is a beast who needs to be in the starting lineup from game 1. Nothing against Foote, but I think he is an average LB in a great system. Nothing wrong with that but you can't keep studs on the bench forever. I am guessing Foote will be starting when the season starts but his playing time will go way down because Timmons needs to be on the field. Timmons will supplant him before the season is over. Just a hunch.

Steelers & I
04-16-2009, 01:26 AM
well first,, timmons was hurt early in the yr, and i beleive his injury hampered him all season..

Woodley is playing Outside Linebacker, correct? Yes of course. Timmons was drafted as an Outside Linebacker, correct?? Of corse. Woodley was drafted as a Defensive End, correct?? Yes but the Steelers had planned on converting him to LB all along.

When Clark Haggans' OUTSIDE LINEBACKER position became available, "ONE" would have expected that a FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE who played OUTSIDE LINEBACKER in college, would have snared the position rather than Lamarr Woodley, a 2nd round draft choice and converted DE!

That Sir is my only point and dare I say, It's a damn valid one. If Timmons was anywhere near as great as some believe him to be, he wouldn't be playing behind Lamarr Woodley, he wouldn't have been moved to INSIDE LINEBACKER where he's currently listed. If Timmons doesn't nail down a starting position this season, then the dude is clearly a bust.

MasterOfPuppets
04-16-2009, 02:44 AM

Woodley is playing Outside Linebacker, correct? Yes of course. Timmons was drafted as an Outside Linebacker, correct?? Of corse. Woodley was drafted as a Defensive End, correct?? Yes but the Steelers had planned on converting him to LB all along.

When Clark Haggans' OUTSIDE LINEBACKER position became available, "ONE" would have expected that a FIRST ROUND DRAFT CHOICE who played OUTSIDE LINEBACKER in college, would have snared the position rather than Lamarr Woodley, a 2nd round draft choice and converted DE!

That Sir is my only point and dare I say, It's a damn valid one. If Timmons was anywhere near as great as some believe him to be, he wouldn't be playing behind Lamarr Woodley, he wouldn't have been moved to INSIDE LINEBACKER where he's currently listed. If Timmons doesn't nail down a starting position this season, then the dude is clearly a bust.my guess is timmons was drafted to play the right OLBER if harrison didn't pan out. have you ever noticed how the right olber is usually the smaller and faster of the two ? obviously timmons isn't needed at the right so why not take advantage of his speed and coverage skills in the middle? seemed like to me he spent as much time on the field as foote, just in different packages....ones they were able to use BECAUSE of his speed and coverage skills.

SteelMember
04-16-2009, 07:13 AM
If this thread keeps going like this...I'm pretty sure it will be a bust. :flap:

SteelMember
04-16-2009, 07:16 AM
my guess is timmons was drafted to play the right OLBER if harrison didn't pan out. have you ever noticed how the right olber is usually the smaller and faster of the two ? obviously timmons isn't needed at the right so why not take advantage of his speed and coverage skills in the middle? seemed like to me he spent as much time on the field as foote, just in different packages....ones they were able to use BECAUSE of his speed and coverage skills.

This would have been exactly my point. Porter was on his way out.

The ROLB (sam) is more of a stand up pass rusher and the LOLB (buck/jack) is more of a hand in the dirt 1 on 1 player.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Foote hasnt done anything to lose his job?

Foote hasnt done anything to keep his job.

There is no way going into camp the attitue is, "Larry dont worry its yours to lose". thats Bs. Timmons played the majority of downs in the playoffs due to the passing game. Guess what? The running game was still shut down even with the supposed weak timmons. Steelers are not a loyalty based team by any stretch.
Foote is going to be a draft/cap casualty. There is no need to waste 3mill on a backup as long as davis is stepping up.

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 05:27 PM
This would have been exactly my point. Porter was on his way out.

The ROLB (sam) is more of a stand up pass rusher and the LOLB (buck/jack) is more of a hand in the dirt 1 on 1 player.

thank u.. at least someone knows the difference between the lb spots..

Curtain_of_Steel
04-17-2009, 05:59 PM
How is it that Foote is so much better than Timmons? Obviously stats do not tell the whole story, but Timmons played less during the reg season, same stats, played more in the playoffs, better stats.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2008/steelers/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2008/steelers/playoff.html

Hapa
04-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Timmons- Starting LT for us next year!

i'm kidding dont flame me

steel9guy
04-17-2009, 09:13 PM
I really respect Larry Foote but I think it's time to hand the job to the younger and more potential Timmons.

X-Terminator
04-18-2009, 09:07 AM
This is starting to remind me of the guy who called for Ben to be traded for Brady Quinn last season after he had a bad game (Colts game, I think?), and wound up with egg smeared all over his face. Whatever happened to that guy, anyway? This is also the same thing that I heard about Troy Polamalu after he didn't set the world on fire in his rookie season - yes, many called him a bust back then - and now, you can't pry their lips off his sack with KY jelly and a crowbar.

Sure, let's go ahead and trade a 22-year-old LB with incredible upside and talent because he might be a "bust" since he may not be starting in his third season (2nd, really, since he was injured most of his rookie season). I'm sure there will be 31 other teams lining up to take our "problem" off our hands.

Oh, BTW...isn't this the same guy who lost his bet that Bruce Arians would be fired by the end of February? Why in the world should be take ANYTHING he says with more than a grain of salt after that?

Steelers & I
04-20-2009, 04:33 AM
This is starting to remind me of the guy who called for Ben to be traded for Brady Quinn last season after he had a bad game (Colts game, I think?), and wound up with egg smeared all over his face. Whatever happened to that guy, anyway? This is also the same thing that I heard about Troy Polamalu after he didn't set the world on fire in his rookie season - yes, many called him a bust back then - and now, you can't pry their lips off his sack with KY jelly and a crowbar.

Sure, let's go ahead and trade a 22-year-old LB with incredible upside and talent because he might be a "bust" since he may not be starting in his third season (2nd, really, since he was injured most of his rookie season). I'm sure there will be 31 other teams lining up to take our "problem" off our hands.

Oh, BTW...isn't this the same guy who lost his bet that Bruce Arians would be fired by the end of February? Why in the world should be take ANYTHING he says with more than a grain of salt after that?

Well bud I'm not real impressed by ANYTHING that I've read from you either. It's my GD opinion and if you don't like it, then move on just as I do when I read something that I don't agree with. I'm not here to impress you, this forum is NOTHING but opinions but OBVIOUSLY some of you believe that you're posting facts as opposed to your mere opinions.

The Arians bet that I lost, who gives a hoot man. Like I'm the only SOB who was predicting an Arians firing. It's not like I was totally off the mark, I may have called it a year early, THAT'S ALL!

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 10:50 AM
lol

fact- timmons is younger than any of our rookies selected last year.

timmons may be younger than some of our rookies selected this year.

he was a project and tomlin loves him. oh, and drew rosehaus is his agent (no problems there either).

Steel Head
04-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I really respect Larry Foote but I think it's time to hand the job to the younger and more potential Timmons.

I dont get why everyone is so caught up on this

Foote is a better run stuffer, so who cares if they start him and let him play on running downs????

Overall, Timmons gets more playing time than Foote anyways

I think I trust what Dick Lebeau decides rather than people that post here

Steelers & I
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Btw, is anyone aware that he is THE youngest man on our roster?

Tony is NOW that YOU'VE made him AWARE OF IT. lol

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Tony is NOW that YOU'VE made him AWARE OF IT. lol
dont be an ass, i knew it since last year when as a 2nd year player he was still younger than all the rookies.

thats old news you obviously never new. after all, im not the one suggesting he will be traded. :doh:

cats outta the bag, dude.

Steelers & I
04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
dont be an ass, i knew it since last year when as a 2nd year player he was still younger than all the rookies.

thats old news you obviously never new. after all, im not the one suggesting he will be traded. :doh:

cats outta the bag, dude.

Cat's out of the bag huh. I'll just say this, I've seen more talented young Linebackers, i.e.. Mike Merriweather, Hardy Nickerson, Chad Brown and Kendrell Bell, walk away from the Steelers via free agency. The Steelers received nothing in return thus I'm suggesting that they trade Timmons, and receive something in return, while they still have the opportunity to do so.

You, and a few others, believe that Timmons, when his contract expires, will re-sign with the Steelers at a low ball rate since he hasn't played enough to prove his true worth. You even went on to suggest that re-signingTimmons won't be a problem because his agent is Drew Rosenhaus??? Now what in the flip does that have to do with anything????

Sure Rosenhaus has good relations with the Steelers organization BUT he's also gotten TOP DOLLAR CONTRACTS for the few Steelers players that he represents. Do you suppose that Rosenhaus will advice Timmons to accept a much lower contract from the Steelers rather than shopping himself around to see what he can get in the free agent market??? :toofunny:

Lets just look at the re-signings that the Steelers are going to be faced with in 2010.

Ryan Clark, Larry Foote, Jeff Reed, Willie Colon, Daniel Sepulveda, Matt Spaeth,
Max Starks, Deshea Townsend, Hines Ward, Willie Parker, Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig, Casey Hampton, William Gay, Carey Davis, Brett Keisel.

The aforementioned players are "currently slated" to be free agents in 2010. Now we can assume that Foote and Townsend will definitely NOT be re-signed but the others, man that's quite a list of players that the Steelers certainly do need. Not to mention that both Santonio Holmes and LaMarr Woodley are "currently slated" to be free agents in 2011. We know that the Steelers front office "usually" attempts to re-sign their star players one year before their contracts expire so you might as well throw Holmes and Woodley in the mix with the 2010 free agents.

So here's my point, when you look at that list, just how important is the future re-signing of Lawrence Timmons? Will the Steelers be even one dollar under the cap after their 2010 re-signings? I highly doubt it. So I say it again, TRADE TIMMONS while he still has some worth because as things look right now, the Steelers sure as hell won't be able to re-sign him in 2011. Unless of course you foresee the Steelers investing nearly 1/3 of their salary cap in linebackers Harrison, Woodley and Timmons. Highly-Highly DOUBTFUL.

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Sure Rosenhaus has good relations with the Steelers organization BUT he's also gotten TOP DOLLAR CONTRACTS for the few Steelers players that he represents. Do you suppose that Rosenhaus will advice Timmons to accept a much lower contract from the Steelers rather than shopping himself around to see what he can get in the free agent market??? :toofunny:

Lets just look at the re-signings that the Steelers are going to be faced with in 2010.

you mean like dookie davenport and b. mcfadden? (you dont know jack shit, do you?)

sorry dude, but i am well aware of who drew represents and dont need to read any bullshit from you to know who our free agents are after '09 or '10.

go try to educate someone else, cause "i aint the one".

Steelers & I
04-21-2009, 02:53 AM
you mean like dookie davenport and b. mcfadden? (you dont know jack shit, do you?)

Can't say that I do, at least not by name, although I've probably seen him around here.

sorry dude, but i am well aware of who drew represents and dont need to read any bullshit from you to know who our free agents are after '09 or '10.

Just for you, I probably should have done a better job in clarifying my statement. I was speaking of Rosenhaus represented-Steelers players, "WHO LEFT THE STEELERS VIA FREE AGENCY". Players such as Leon Searcy and Plaxico Burress. Lordy, Lordy, we all realize that the Steelers won't play the game with Rosenhaus thus proving my point, the aforementioned players were instructed by Rosenhaus to shop themselves around just as Timmons will do.

go try to educate someone else, cause "i aint the one".

You definitely need some education but you're right, I "aint" the one. Your 5th grade teacher obviously failed at that attempt.

tony hipchest
04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
:hyper: first this dude says we have to start considering LT as a bust, then he suggests that we need to maximize his "value" in a trade and that he is so great we will never be able to sign him coming off his rookie deal. :eyecrazy:

pssst.... nfl busts arent expensive.

LOL....:willy:

Steelers & I
04-21-2009, 07:30 PM
:hyper: first this dude says we have to start considering LT as a bust, then he suggests that we need to maximize his "value" in a trade and that he is so great we will never be able to sign him coming off his rookie deal. :eyecrazy:

pssst.... nfl busts arent expensive.

LOL....:willy:

I said he's a bust if he isn't starting this year, reading comprehension skills are a must in forum chats. Next, it's YOU and many others who have suggested that Timmons is an up and coming star so lets assume that a few NFL organizations are under that same belief. If that's the case, then trade him while he still has value. Otherwise, he's just going to walk away when his contract expires in order to sign for the big dollars that some FOOLISH team is willing to pay this "future great" LMAO.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-21-2009, 08:06 PM
again. Timmons will be the starter opening day

tony hipchest
04-21-2009, 08:10 PM
is comprehending this BS a must in forum chats?

I said he's a bust if he isn't starting this year, reading comprehension skills are a must in forum chats. .

:chuckle:

:hyper: while you are tagging him with a label given to players like ryan leaf, nobody else is comparing him to lawrence taylor. :willy:

...reading comprehension indeed.

you are just wrong. "we" do not have to start considering him a bust, and "we" will not trade him. :hunch:

....it is what it is....

Steelers & I
04-21-2009, 10:05 PM
is comprehending this BS a must in forum chats?

:chuckle:

:hyper: while you are tagging him with a label given to players like ryan leaf, nobody else is comparing him to lawrence taylor. :willy:

...reading comprehension indeed.

you are just wrong. "we" do not have to start considering him a bust, and "we" will not trade him. :hunch:

....it is what it is....

We'll see, I will let things play out rather than taking your word for it. :mallet:

lilyoder6
04-21-2009, 10:14 PM
i highly doubt the steelers will consider timmons a bust and trade him.. tomlin and the steelers are high on him and he will be good..

paw-n-maul-u
04-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Sounds like It's getting a little spicy in here, but when someone makes a reading comprehension joke it must be a lost battle.

Then again, maybe he is an english teacher with such correct grammer as to correctly pen himself "Steelers and I", rather than "me and the steelers", ha! :chuckle:

There are so many arguements to be made against trading Timmons, most of which have been covered. However, they shouldn't have to be: the bottom line is that it makes absolutely no sense to trade your youngest, highest drafted, and easily most physically talented LB that probably has the highest ceiling of our whole LB core. Not to mention he hasn't done enough on the field to warrant a blockbuster deal.

Foote is to timmons as townsend is to mcfadden.

Which is funny becasue that negates the ENTIRE rosenhaus arguement ...

It is widely viewed that Mcfadden took a below the market deal ... dominique foxworth got more money. Ridiculous. So Timmons is going to walk away for a below market deal as well?

Nope. He's going to be a beast, eventually unseat Foote, and probably man one of the 4 LB spots for the next 6 years.Timmons outplayed foote in almost every aspect of the game with about 2/3's the playing time.

Steelers & I
04-22-2009, 05:21 AM
Sounds like It's getting a little spicy in here, but when someone makes a reading comprehension joke it must be a lost battle.

Then again, maybe he is an english teacher with such correct grammer as to correctly pen himself "Steelers and I", rather than "me and the steelers", ha! :chuckle:

There are so many arguements to be made against trading Timmons, most of which have been covered. However, they shouldn't have to be: the bottom line is that it makes absolutely no sense to trade your youngest, highest drafted, and easily most physically talented LB that probably has the highest ceiling of our whole LB core. Not to mention he hasn't done enough on the field to warrant a blockbuster deal.

Foote is to timmons as townsend is to mcfadden.

Which is funny becasue that negates the ENTIRE rosenhaus arguement ...

It is widely viewed that Mcfadden took a below the market deal ... dominique foxworth got more money. Ridiculous. So Timmons is going to walk away for a below market deal as well?

Nope. He's going to be a beast, eventually unseat Foote, and probably man one of the 4 LB spots for the next 6 years.Timmons outplayed foote in almost every aspect of the game with about 2/3's the playing time.

Nice post but how do you suppose that the Steelers will afford, James Harrison's new contract, a new deal for LaMarr Woodley after next season, which should be quite hefty, along with Timmons who will have to be re-signed after the 2010 season? That's quite a lot of money to tie up in 3 linebackers.

As I recall, the Steelers have on more than one occasion, let a promising young linebacker leave via free agency due to the fact that they simply couldn't afford to pay top dollar to more than 2 linebackers. James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley are going to account for several million dollars against the salary cap, that is after Woodley's new deal, a new deal that is CERTAIN to occur in a year or two.

I have no problem with Timmons. I saw his potential a few times last season. I guess that I did see it near as often as some of you did, but nonetheless, I saw what he's capable of doing. My point is that the Steelers will "most likely" lose the services of Timmons after the 2011 season so they might as well cut their ties with him now, while they still have Larry Foote holding down one of the starting ILB positions.

In reference to my "bust" comment. I'll stand by that. If Timmons, a 1st round draft choice, isn't capable of nailing down a starting position in his 3rd season, then I personally, will classify him as a bust. As far as I'm concerned, EVERY 1st round draft choice, no matter the position, should be STARTING by his 3rd season. Just my opinion of course.:hatsoff:

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 07:40 AM
i highly doubt the steelers will consider timmons a bust and trade him.. tomlin and the steelers are high on him and he will be good..

hard to consider someone a bust who is playing awesome

paw-n-maul-u
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
[/B]

Nice post but how do you suppose that the Steelers will afford, James Harrison's new contract, a new deal for LaMarr Woodley after next season, which should be quite hefty, along with Timmons who will have to be re-signed after the 2010 season? That's quite a lot of money to tie up in 3 linebackers.

As I recall, the Steelers have on more than one occasion, let a promising young linebacker leave via free agency due to the fact that they simply couldn't afford to pay top dollar to more than 2 linebackers. James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley are going to account for several million dollars against the salary cap, that is after Woodley's new deal, a new deal that is CERTAIN to occur in a year or two.

I have no problem with Timmons. I saw his potential a few times last season. I guess that I did see it near as often as some of you did, but nonetheless, I saw what he's capable of doing. My point is that the Steelers will "most likely" lose the services of Timmons after the 2011 season so they might as well cut their ties with him now, while they still have Larry Foote holding down one of the starting ILB positions.

In reference to my "bust" comment. I'll stand by that. If Timmons, a 1st round draft choice, isn't capable of nailing down a starting position in his 3rd season, then I personally, will classify him as a bust. As far as I'm concerned, EVERY 1st round draft choice, no matter the position, should be STARTING by his 3rd season. Just my opinion of course.:hatsoff:

???

They will keep all three the same way that they were able to resign Ben and Troy to blockbuster deals while also extending Ward and Farrior.

Why keep Foote when his contract is up before, or the same year, as Timmons. Obv. Timmons shows more upside, is younger, etc. so you are not going to convince me that Timmons will warrant more money on his second contract (as of right now) than Foote would on his third. Foote has started more games, has more experience, better resume, and brings leadership.

Are you advocating releasing them both?

I figure the steelers knew timmons could play last year every down. but why put him out there the whole season, completely devalue Foote, and then have to try and sign Timmons to a bigger deal than he would have had he started from Day 1 last year?
They steelers played this one very smart. They knew Timmons was going to be a project with 2+ years before he really breaks onto the scene. And Foote was playing solid so why

Kirkland, lloyd, greene ... another 3 LB's that were all paid well, all manned the steelers LB core together for several years. I think your arguement is just absolutely whack, contradicts itself on so many levels, and will never happen. Timmons is a steeler, and will be. he is 5+ years younger than foote and 10+ younger than farrior and almost Harrison. you are just way wrong.

paw-n-maul-u
04-22-2009, 08:56 AM
to continue ... you said the steelers should cut their ties now ... since he wont be here after 2011,

Well apparently we should cut ties with Big Ben NOW, since he won't be around after 2015.

And parker since he might not be around after next year.

Man, If you were a packers and Chargers fan, you would have gone crazy with A. Rodgers and P. Rivers sittin the bench so long. Man, you make not very good arguements with no real examples to back up why you think timmons is a bust, or why it would be a good idea to trade him now.

DACEB
04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
???
I figure the steelers knew timmons could play last year every down. but why put him out there the whole season, completely devalue Foote, and then have to try and sign Timmons to a bigger deal than he would have had he started from Day 1 last year?
They steelers played this one very smart. They knew Timmons was going to be a project with 2+ years before he really breaks onto the scene. And Foote was playing solid so why

That pretty much says it all right there. That is one combination that has been great for the team, keeps both guys fresh and they complement each others skill set.

The team has played this very smart, and low and behold they could possibly get Lil' Animal to step in for Foote when the time comes.

Steelers & I
04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
???

They will keep all three the same way that they were able to resign Ben and Troy to blockbuster deals while also extending Ward and Farrior.

No comparison, you're talking about 4 different positions. I'm sure that the Steelers have a formula, essentially a cap amount, that they're willing to spend on each position. We're talking about investing a sizable percentage of the Steelers salary cap into the linebacker position. I don't see it hapenning.
Why keep Foote when his contract is up before, or the same year, as Timmons. Obv. Timmons shows more upside, is younger, etc. so you are not going to convince me that Timmons will warrant more money on his second contract (as of right now) than Foote would on his third. Foote has started more games, has more experience, better resume, and brings leadership.

Are you advocating releasing them both?

Kirkland, lloyd, greene ... another 3 LB's that were all paid well, all manned the steelers LB core together for several years. I think your arguement is just absolutely whack, contradicts itself on so many levels, and will never happen. Timmons is a steeler, and will be. he is 5+ years younger than foote and 10+ younger than farrior and almost Harrison. you are just way wrong.

Kevin Greene wasn't paid that much. During that same tenure, Levon Kirkland was playing under the contract that he signed as a rookie so he wasn't making much either.

tony hipchest
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Kevin Greene wasn't paid that much. During that same tenure, Levon Kirkland was playing under the contract that he signed as a rookie so he wasn't making much either.timmons isnt "paid that much" either.

kevin green and l. kirkland entered negotiations as some of the tops at their position. timmons wont.

:willy: youre all over the place here.

Steelers & I
04-22-2009, 11:09 PM
to continue ... you said the steelers should cut their ties now ... since he wont be here after 2011,

Well apparently we should cut ties with Big Ben NOW, since he won't be around after 2015.

And parker since he might not be around after next year.

Man, If you were a packers and Chargers fan, you would have gone crazy with A. Rodgers and P. Rivers sittin the bench so long. Man, you make not very good arguements with no real examples to back up why you think timmons is a bust, or why it would be a good idea to trade him now.

Why do you have to act so ridiculous? Dude I'm simply stating what I believe will occur. You don't have to agree with me, I don't care but to respond in that manner is a bit childish. Don't try to quote me with such utter nonsense.

I don't have any dislike towards Timmons. Sure I don't believe that he's as good as some advertise him to be but that doesn't mean that I dislike him. If you believe that the Steelers, after re-signing Woodley, will invest several more million into Timmons in a couple of years then go on believing that. I don't think that it's feasible, in fact, I think that it will be IMPOSSIBLE!

And furthermore, for you to belive that Timmons, with his current agent, is going to give the Steelers a "good ole boy discount" when it comes down to negotiating a new contract, well you're simply kidding yourself. Timmons has value RIGHT NOW because he hasn't proven himself one way or another. Yes, we've seen flashes but that's the extent of it. In another year, we'll know for sure what he's worth. If he still hasn't nailed down a starting position in his 3rd season, then as far as I'm concerned his value will decrease. If he turns out to be as good as you and some others believe that he'll be, then he'll be out of the Steelers price range.

I hope that clears up my stance on trading the man now.

tony hipchest
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
I don't think that it's feasible, in fact, I think that it will be IMPOSSIBLE!

OH NOEZ!

Timmons has value RIGHT NOW because he hasn't proven himself one way or another.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

lilyoder6
04-23-2009, 12:12 AM
:willy:

ice cream

Steelers & I
04-23-2009, 12:27 AM
timmons isnt "paid that much" either.

I'm all over the place?? You're the one who's uncapable of following a simple conversation. Who in the heck is talking about what Timmons makes NOW???
I'm talking about what he's going to make on his next contract. You're the fool who believes that Timmons and his agent will sign with the Steelers for pennies.

kevin green and l. kirkland entered negotiations as some of the tops at their position. timmons wont.

Whatever dude, I don't what in the flip that you're trying to pull here. Throw a bunch of BS out there as if you're proving a point. You show me a Steelers team that fielded Greg Lloyd, with Levon Kirkland and Kevin Greene making top money at their positions. BULL$HIT.

:willy: youre all over the place here.

In your world, the simpliest of things are all over the place. You just can't grasp the basics, don't blame me for that.

paw-n-maul-u
04-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Man, a couple google.com's and you feel ontop of the world.

How is it that you are the only one who doesn't understand? After those last miniquotes that tony posted, I really can't argue anymore.

you are all over the place like a space cadet.

I still just dont even understand the BASIC points to your argument.

you think Timmons will be TRADED ... why? I really want to know why. Who is going to replace Timmons? Is larry foote going to be resigned? .... and if so, how can you convince me he wont make just as much money as timmons on his second contract given their resumes right now? Why not trade foote? why do you like foote so much?

You predict timmons will be a bust. ok ... so taht means foote is the LB, so HE has to get resigned ... don't you think he would command just as big a deal? i mean really man...

you can flip a coin any way you want it and its gonna land on either foote or timmons. both are going to be expensive. Except right now, the steelers have the advantage of spoon feeding timmons so that they DON'T have to pay him a contract that a probowl type player would recieve.

the steelers are smart, and you, on this subject atleast, are obviously not.

you tell all these "great" reasons as to why timmons should be traded, but you offer absolutely ZERO feedback as to what is going to happen to the middle of the LB core when he is gone.

you know what would happen? you would have Harrison in the middle of his contract at 34+.

Farrior at the end of his being 35+

and Foote freshly entering his 30's with what can be compared to 13 full seasons of football.

that sounds like a terrible problem to have. You have a lot of free advice, but no solution to your mysterious LB salary cap problem ...haha with an UNcapped year on the horizon. bolderdash my friend. you speak jibberish

... haha and the funny thing now? is that with an uncapped year ... you cant even be an UDFA till you are 6 years in the league. Tman, you don't know jack poop mi amigo. but crack open another and we're all still steelers at the end of the day.

Steelers & I
04-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Man, a couple google.com's and you feel ontop of the world.

How is it that you are the only one who doesn't understand? After those last miniquotes that tony posted, I really can't argue anymore.

you are all over the place like a space cadet.

I still just dont even understand the BASIC points to your argument.

you think Timmons will be TRADED ... why? I really want to know why. Who is going to replace Timmons? Is larry foote going to be resigned? .... and if so, how can you convince me he wont make just as much money as timmons on his second contract given their resumes right now? Why not trade foote? why do you like foote so much?

You predict timmons will be a bust. ok ... so taht means foote is the LB, so HE has to get resigned ... don't you think he would command just as big a deal? i mean really man...

you can flip a coin any way you want it and its gonna land on either foote or timmons. both are going to be expensive. Except right now, the steelers have the advantage of spoon feeding timmons so that they DON'T have to pay him a contract that a probowl type player would recieve.

the steelers are smart, and you, on this subject atleast, are obviously not.

you tell all these "great" reasons as to why timmons should be traded, but you offer absolutely ZERO feedback as to what is going to happen to the middle of the LB core when he is gone.

you know what would happen? you would have Harrison in the middle of his contract at 34+.

Farrior at the end of his being 35+

and Foote freshly entering his 30's with what can be compared to 13 full seasons of football.

that sounds like a terrible problem to have. You have a lot of free advice, but no solution to your mysterious LB salary cap problem ...haha with an UNcapped year on the horizon. bolderdash my friend. you speak jibberish

... haha and the funny thing now? is that with an uncapped year ... you cant even be an UDFA till you are 6 years in the league. Tman, you don't know jack poop mi amigo. but crack open another and we're all still steelers at the end of the day.

Foote and Farrior have nothing to do with the conversation.

Here's the problem as I see it. James Harrison is signed to a multi-year, major dollar contract. Can we agree on that? If not then the conversation is over. Ok, check it off.

LaMarr Woodley, in 2010 will have 1 year remaining on his current contract. It is customary for the Steelers to sign the players that they want to keep when they have 1 year remaining on their contract. Can we agree on that? If not then the conversation is over. OK, check it off.

LaMarr Woodley IS what many of you have defined Timmons as being, "A BEAST' and he WILL DEFINITELY demand a contract similar to that of James Harrison. Can you get on board with that? If not then the conversation is OVER because you're simply not following logic. The Steelers WILL re-sign LaMarr Woodley, there's absolutely no doubt about it.

So with that being said, Lawrence Timmons contract will expire in 2011, a year after LaMarr Woodley inks a HUGE deal. Is Timmons going to come cheap? Now if he's the beast that many of you have described him to be then there's no way that you can believe that he'll come cheap or even moderately cheap. I don't care if he's a UFA , a RFA, or even a franchise tagged player. If he turns out to be as good as you've predicted, then he's going to command huge dollars and he'll get it somewhere.

Do you suppose that the Steelers, haven already signed both James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley to huge deals, are going to have the cap space to ink a THIRD linebacker to huge deal? :deal::help::shake02:

Man if you believe that then you're far-more optimistic than I. I don't see any way that the Steelers will invest that much of their salary cap into 3 Linebackers. As I've said in another post, I've seen great young linebackers such as Chad Brown and Kendrell Bell set free by the Steelers after this exact scenario presented itself. It's just not feasible to believe that the Steelers can keep these 3 linebackers. It doesn't matter that Foote and Farrior are aging, the Steelers simply can't afford to re-sign the entire trio.

paw-n-maul-u
04-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Foote and Farrior have nothing to do with the conversation.
Man, and this whole time I was lead to believe that Timmons was eventually going to replace one of them. How can you possibly say Foote and Farrior are irrelevent.

You fool. dude look ... OK, right now in your world you have Harrison and Woodley penciled in as definite starters. There are TWO OTHER SPOTS. WHO THE FUHH IS GOING TO PLAY IN THE MIDDLE? It isn't going to be farrior, so that means its Foote or Timmons.

You can't possibly tell me that the steelers are going to let all three of their top ILB's go within a calendar year of each other. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. HOW CAN YOU ARGUE AGAINST THAT.

So back to your stupid arguement, now that it is obvious that we HAVE to keep one of either foote or Timmons (since farrior will be old as dirt) ... PICK ... BOTH ARE GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE. ... Foote will be around 30 ... he is probably gone, which means timmons is resigned.

It is easy f*cking deductive reasoning. You don't take into account anything outside the contracts. What if HARRISON is let go because he isn't playing up to his contract.

Or how about the ever increasing salary cap. ... or how about the fact that there will be NO salary cap. Or how about the fact (that you blatantly ignored the first time I mentioned it), that you CANT BE A UFA WITHIN THE FIRST SIX YEARS WHILE BEING WITH THE SAME TEAM.

I say these things ... and you say "I don't care" ... haha, do you know how stupid you sound when your only refute to hard evidence is "I don't care"? It's like you are playing madden or something. Go ahead, trade him on your XBox360 in season mode. but please god don't ever let you get a foot into the ACTUAL front office. You don't take anything circumstantial at all and all evidence points to timmons most likely being resigned

He's Tomlins FIRST EVERY DRAFT PICK ... a pick that HE PULLED VERY HARD FOR IN THE WAR ROOM. .... ahhahaha and now he is going to TRADE HIM!?!?!? ... or at the very least let him leave scott free in FA?!?!?!

Here's the problem as I see it. James Harrison is signed to a multi-year, major dollar contract. Can we agree on that? If not then the conversation is over. Ok, check it off.

LaMarr Woodley, in 2010 will have 1 year remaining on his current contract. It is customary for the Steelers to sign the players that they want to keep when they have 1 year remaining on their contract. Can we agree on that? If not then the conversation is over. OK, check it off.

LaMarr Woodley IS what many of you have defined Timmons as being, "A BEAST' and he WILL DEFINITELY demand a contract similar to that of James Harrison. Can you get on board with that? If not then the conversation is OVER because you're simply not following logic. The Steelers WILL re-sign LaMarr Woodley, there's absolutely no doubt about it.

So with that being said, Lawrence Timmons contract will expire in 2011, a year after LaMarr Woodley inks a HUGE deal. Is Timmons going to come cheap? Now if he's the beast that many of you have described him to be then there's no way that you can believe that he'll come cheap or even moderately cheap. I don't care if he's a UFA , a RFA, or even a franchise tagged player. If he turns out to be as good as you've predicted, then he's going to command huge dollars and he'll get it somewhere.

Do you suppose that the Steelers, haven already signed both James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley to huge deals, are going to have the cap space to ink a THIRD linebacker to huge deal? :deal::help::shake02:

Man if you believe that then you're far-more optimistic than I. I don't see any way that the Steelers will invest that much of their salary cap into 3 Linebackers. As I've said in another post, I've seen great young linebackers such as Chad Brown and Kendrell Bell set free by the Steelers after this exact scenario presented itself. It's just not feasible to believe that the Steelers can keep these 3 linebackers. It doesn't matter that Foote and Farrior are aging, the Steelers simply can't afford to re-sign the entire trio.

this is like the kid who got caught in a lie and just keeps digging himself in a hole with all the nonsense that is coming out of his mouth.

and please do not talk to me like I am a child and present me with a check-list.

It is obvious you are in the minority here, ... seriously? is this mike Florio?

Steelers & I
04-23-2009, 03:40 AM
this is like the kid who got caught in a lie and just keeps digging himself in a hole with all the nonsense that is coming out of his mouth.

and please do not talk to me like I am a child and present me with a check-list.

It is obvious you are in the minority here, ... seriously? is this mike Florio?

Man, and this whole time I was lead to believe that Timmons was eventually going to replace one of them. How can you possibly say Foote and Farrior are irrelevent.

How can you say that they're relevant? Do you see either one of them on the Steelers roster in 2 years when my problem presents itself. Do the Steelers seem to be treating them as potentially relevant members of their team in 2 years? I don't see the Steelers breaking their backs right now to extend the contracts of either one of them. So yes, THEY"RE IRRELEVANT in this discussion.

You fool. dude look ... OK, right now in your world you have Harrison and Woodley penciled in as definite starters. There are TWO OTHER SPOTS. WHO THE FUHH IS GOING TO PLAY IN THE MIDDLE? It isn't going to be farrior, so that means its Foote or Timmons.

I'm a fool huh, well that's easy to say to someone when you're sitting hundreds of miles away from them, isn't it? That's right, I have Harrison and Woodley penciled in as starters, any fool is capable of coming to that conclusion. That's right, there's 2 inside linebacker spots that need to be filled, who's going to fill them in two years? HOW IN THE F@#* WOULD I OR ANYONE ELSE KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT? That's a foolish question. Hell that's 2 drafts away. Maybe it will be Keyaron Fox, Bruce Davis or Patrick Bailey might possibly be converted to the inside, WHO FREAKING KNOWS! In the past, I've seen salary cap friendly starting inside linebackers such as Jerry Olsavsky, Donta Jones, John Fiala and Kendrell Bell. That's the way it goes, that's the point that you're missing, it sure as hell won't be a big dollar-big name ILB. The Steelers simply can't affor\d to pay 3 linebackers huge money unless of course they let all the other positions go down the $hitter.

You can't possibly tell me that the steelers are going to let all three of their top ILB's go within a calendar year of each other. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. HOW CAN YOU ARGUE AGAINST THAT.

Foote and Farrior will both be gone in 2 years. Hell they'll be dinosaurs, you don't expect them to play forever do you? Timmons will be gone as well simply because the Steelers won't be able to afford the money that he and his agent will be asking for. Therefore, trade him now.

So back to your stupid arguement, now that it is obvious that we HAVE to keep one of either foote or Timmons (since farrior will be old as dirt) ... PICK ... BOTH ARE GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE. ... Foote will be around 30 ... he is probably gone, which means timmons is resigned.

In 2 years the Steelers will have salary cap friendly replacements for both of them. You keep missing the point, TIMMONS IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION TO REPLACE EITHER OF THEM, he'll be too damn expensive.

It is easy f*cking deductive reasoning. You don't take into account anything outside the contracts. What if HARRISON is let go because he isn't playing up to his contract.

That has to be the dumbest statement of the year. Timmons, who has done little, is a beast according to you but the NFL Defensive Player Of The Year may not play up to his contract in a year or two???? BRILLIANT ANALYSIS! Sure, release Harrison which saves the Steelers what? How about a big fat ZERO. Not only will Harrison's salary count against the cap, THE STEELERS WOULD ALSO BE WITHOUT HIS SERVICES! That's just brilliant dude.

Or how about the ever increasing salary cap. ... or how about the fact that there will be NO salary cap. Or how about the fact (that you blatantly ignored the first time I mentioned it), that you CANT BE A UFA WITHIN THE FIRST SIX YEARS WHILE BEING WITH THE SAME TEAM.

If you believe that the NFL is going to operate without a salary cap, then you're worse off then I could ever imagine.

I say these things ... and you say "I don't care" ... haha, do you know how stupid you sound when your only refute to hard evidence is "I don't care"? It's like you are playing madden or something. Go ahead, trade him on your XBox360 in season mode. but please god don't ever let you get a foot into the ACTUAL front office. You don't take anything circumstantial at all and all evidence points to timmons most likely being resigned

What effing evidence???? LMAO Foolish.

He's Tomlins FIRST EVERY DRAFT PICK ... a pick that HE PULLED VERY HARD FOR IN THE WAR ROOM. .... ahhahaha and now he is going to TRADE HIM!?!?!? ... or at the very least let him leave scott free in FA?!?!?!

And Leon Searcy was Cowhers first draft choice, how did that end up? He walked via free agency and I might add, with the same damn agent that Timmons has.

paw-n-maul-u
04-23-2009, 04:59 AM
I quit. you are a brick wall.

Steelers & I
04-23-2009, 05:17 AM
I quit. you are a brick wall.

That's typically what people do when they're beat, THEY QUIT!

tony hipchest
04-23-2009, 12:25 PM
That's typically what people do when they're beat, THEY QUIT!:hunch: then why are you still at it?

i think youre pretty clueless of what the cap will be in 2012 (prob about $150 mil) or if it will even be an uncapped year.

i also dont think youve looked at what players are currently under contract that runs that long and how much $$$ is allocated to them (less than $50 mil).

ward, hampton, parker, a. smith, farrior, foote, and townsend will all be retired or on their last leg (starks will be sent packing).

the steelers will not trade a #1 pick half way through the cheapest contract he will ever play under just because of your lack of cap management knowledge.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Foote is gone, been saying it for weeks. Soon as the draft is over and the Steelers see what $$ they need to sign everyone. Foote contract is like money in the bank for the draft picks.

Who knows maybe we can package him with a pick to grab another OL guy if the right one falls.

There is no way your keeping Timmons out of that starting lineup this year. The weakness you guys speak of is just not there. Foote knows he is going, he didn't even show up to the optionals.

Shoes
06-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Well since LT is starting this season.... it was fun to read over what everyone thought. He is going to be a beast....can't wait for the season to start, :tt02:

Good call Fansince76 !

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-24-2009, 11:50 PM
So, Steelers & I, the question then remains, if we need to trade away Lawrence TImmons like you suggest, who on our roster should we replace him with (and for the record, I am new around here so I won't slam you the way the others are, but I DO think that you will be eating your words by October this year)?

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-25-2009, 12:01 AM
In my personal opinion, the Timmons bashers base their opinions of him not being able to stop the run on one, single incident-- when L'Ron McClain bowled him over at the goal line in our early matchup against the Ravens.

Since then, LT has grown in leaps and bounds. Some of you bashers probably don't even realize that he was the starter for over 75% of the plays by the time the post-season rolled around-- he was practically the full time starter then. Some of you need to pull out your "Road to XLIII" DVDs and re-watch the Ravens AFCC game especially-- Timmons was a beast and was stuffing L'Ron McClain and company all game. You are basing your perceptions of him off of one bad play.....

Since last year, LT has also beefed up-- from 236 lbs to 245, and by all reports is looking SHARP in camp (well....camp in shorts).

In his limited regular season playing time last year(mostly 3rd and 4th downs initially), here is his stat line, and also Larry Foote's for comparison:

FOOTE: 63 tackles (34 solo), 1.5 sacks, 1 FF
TIMMONS: 65 tackles (40 solo), 5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 1 INT (for 96 yd return), 1 FF (and recovery)

Timmons will be fine; we don't need to punch the panic button and trade him. Ludicrous....

steel9guy
06-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Timmons is gonna be AWESOME!!!!!

Timmons is Faster than Foote

Timmons is Stronger than Foote

Timmons is Younger Than Foote

Simply put Timmons is WAY MORE INTIMIDATING AND BETTER THAN FOOTE EVER WAS.

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-25-2009, 12:19 AM

Looks that way, but I for one am not going to jump on the "Hating Foote" wagon-- he was a staple of our defense for years and was a darn good ILB. I wish all of the guys well that leave the team to find greener pastures elsewhere.

Timmons is gonna rock though. I'll even go so far as to say that I think he has a breakout season this year. Having him at ILB will be like having a shorter-range, slightly slower, Polamalu, makin the middle of the field his playground....

Steelers & I
06-25-2009, 01:06 AM
So, Steelers & I, the question then remains, if we need to trade away Lawrence TImmons like you suggest, who on our roster should we replace him with (and for the record, I am new around here so I won't slam you the way the others are, but I DO think that you will be eating your words by October this year)?

Well seeing that this argument is 2 months old, we see that Foote is now gone. I don't know what you mean by "I'll be eating my words"??? How's that? If Timmons is flourishing by mid-October I'll be fine with that. I never said that he wasn't capable of it, I did argue that I haven't seen the beast in him that some fans have witnessed. Yeah he did alright last season in spot duty but I wouldn't call him a beast. My point was that if he, a 1st round draft pick, WASN'T a starter by his 3rd season then I would consider him a bust. If he's starting then obviously I won't consider him a bust.

On to my trade talk. I never stated that Timmons should be traded because he sucks. I stated that he should be traded because the Steelers won't be able to afford him when his contract expires so therefore they should get something for him before he walks away via free agency. Do you foresee the Steelers re-signing him when they're already paying Harrison top LB money, Woodley won't be cheap, he'll command Harrison type of money, so how do you propose that the Steelers sign Timmons as well? Do you believe that Timmons, a projected beast by many of you, will come cheap? Have you ever seen a Steelers team, or any team for that matter, with 3 top paid LBers on the same roster?

I have no problem with Timmons. I'm simply putting out a logical question. I stand by my my initial posts. I just don't see any way that the Steelers will be able to afford to re-sign Timmons.

Steelers & I
06-25-2009, 01:10 AM

You forgot one, Timmons, sooner than later, will cost the Steelers at least 3 times as much as Foote ever did. Can they afford it with Harrison's contract and Woodley's future extension?
I hope so but HIGHLY doubt it.

revefsreleets
06-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Maybe not.

Will Timmons be as disciplined as Foote?
Will Timmons fulfill his assignments like Foote did?
Will Timmons understand his role in the defense the way Foote did?

Talent helps a lot, but there's much more to playing LB in the Steelers 3-4 than just being talented. Timmons will need to learn the position inside and out.

And the talk about costing more than Foote is ridiculous. It's like trying to predict injuries. If Timmons actually DOES pan out and becomes a stud, and he decides he really wants to STAY a Steeler, he'll find a way to work within "The Steeler Way" and be a Steeler. If not, buh-bye, Lawrence, and hello whoever the next up-and-comer-who-will-kill-to-take-the-spot might be.

Psyychoward86
06-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Timmons is gonna rock though. I'll even go so far as to say that I think he has a breakout season this year.

What a bold statement :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
06-25-2009, 09:16 PM
saying timmons will be unaffordable for a 2nd contract is like saying ben, troy, miller, or holmes will be unaffordable.

Shoes
06-25-2009, 09:27 PM
saying timmons will be unaffordable for a 2nd contract is like saying ben, troy, miller, or holmes will be unaffordable.

I agree Tony.....Timmons strikes me as a Steeler for life!

Steelers & I
06-25-2009, 10:45 PM

And their 2nd contract would have been unaffordable if there were 2 more players at each their respective positions that were already making top dollar, i.e..Harrison and Woodley. Jesus Christ, the Steelers can only allocate so much of their cap to a single position and I'm sure that after Woodley is re-signed, the LB position will be CAPPED OUT!

Steelers & I
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Maybe not.

Will Timmons be as disciplined as Foote?
Will Timmons fulfill his assignments like Foote did?
Will Timmons understand his role in the defense the way Foote did?

Talent helps a lot, but there's much more to playing LB in the Steelers 3-4 than just being talented. Timmons will need to learn the position inside and out.

And the talk about costing more than Foote is ridiculous. It's like trying to predict injuries. If Timmons actually DOES pan out and becomes a stud, and he decides he really wants to STAY a Steeler, he'll find a way to work within "The Steeler Way" and be a Steeler. If not, buh-bye, Lawrence, and hello whoever the next up-and-comer-who-will-kill-to-take-the-spot might be.

Yeah you're so right, that type of talk is about as ridiculous as assuming that the likes of Hardy Nickerson, Chad Brown, Kendrell Bell, Earl Holmes, Levon Kirkland, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Mike Merriweather, Kevin Greene, and Jason Gildon, would all become Steelers unsigned free agents. Oh wait a second, THEY ALL DID!

The Steelers have let more talent go at the Linebacker position then all other positions combined. To steal a line from you, we must trust the Steelers Front Office in making those decisions because they know better than us.

Be prepared to include Timmons on that list in a few years.

revefsreleets
06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah you're so right, that type of talk is about as ridiculous as assuming that the likes of Hardy Nickerson, Chad Brown, Kendrell Bell, Earl Holmes, Levon Kirkland, Greg Lloyd, Joey Porter, Mike Merriweather, Kevin Greene, and Jason Gildon, would all become Steelers unsigned free agents. Oh wait a second, THEY ALL DID!

The Steelers have let more talent go at the Linebacker position then all other positions combined. To steal a line from you, we must trust the Steelers Front Office in making those decisions because they know better than us.

Ridiculous. Should we go out and find sub-par players at most of the positions so we can afford to overpay a few superstars?

This is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen made on this board, and, Christ, have I seen some REALLY stupid arguments.

Timmons hasn't even produced anything yet! He could fall flat on his face! This is counting chickens before the eggs have even been laid, let alone hatched.

Look, dude, I know you made this ludicrous argument in the heat of battle awhile back, and you feel compelled to stick with it through thick and thin, but if there was ever a case where it's better to back of and reverse course, THIS would be a damned good one.

Hammer67
06-26-2009, 11:33 AM

And faired quite well, right? :noidea:

Sorry man, nothing personal, but after following this thread, your argument doesn't make much sense. No team ANYWHERE will purposly not sign stud players for fear of not being able to sign someone down the road. Not to say they don't prioritize positions, but they don't make financial decisions now based on future "what if's".

By the way...how IS that Kendrell Bell fellow doing these days???

Sharkissle29
06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
sry to hijack but i rather not make a thread about it...

but does ANYONE know where i can find a white Timmons PREMIER jersey? I have been looking everywhere for it and can not find it.....

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel
Timmons is gonna rock though. I'll even go so far as to say that I think he has a breakout season this year.

What a bold statement :rolleyes:

I am not sure how to interpret this.....as far as I can see (on multiple message boards), Steelers fans are concerned about how Lawrence TImmons is gonna perform in a starting role this year. Many of them feel that he won't be able to stuff the run as well as Larry Foote, and without exception, they always cite that one play in our first meeting with the Ravens last year when Timmons got trucked by LRon McClain at the goalline as their sole piece of evidence.

I made my prediction, based on what I saw after reviewing most of the games from late in the season and up to the Superbowl. As far as I can tell, nobody else is predicting that, so yes, it was a BOLD STATEMENT, thank you for noticing.:wave:

Preacher
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
How in the WORLD can a person argue that

1. Timmons is NOT a beast... but yet

2. Timmons WILL be too expensive to sign.

Please, Someone, explain this logic to me.

devilsdancefloor
06-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Trusting the FO is a big thing here. They sign guys they can and we have seen our share of good players leaving BUT that is todays NFL like it our not. Timmons will be a steeler id be surprised if he isnt. you are worring about something 2 years down the road.

thumper
06-27-2009, 04:49 PM

It's silly to assume that. Could be true, but we have no idea. We could have said that about Hines, Troy, Harrison, etc. He has no trade value yet; he hasn't done anything but shown a few flashes as to how great he could become.

thumper
06-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Trusting the FO is a big thing here. They sign guys they can and we have seen our share of good players leaving BUT that is todays NFL like it our not. Timmons will be a steeler id be surprised if he isnt. you are worring about something 2 years down the road.

He might tear an ACL and not be sought. He might get busted for beating a girl. He might look like the NFL MVP. He might, he might, he might.....2 years away and anything can happen. There might not even be an NFL after 2 years the ways this country is being tore apart.

thumper
06-27-2009, 05:17 PM

For all the talent we seemed to lose, almost none of those players went on to offer top shelf play after being with the Steelers. Very few do, so the FO has been playing it right on the vast majority of cases.

Lloyd - washed up. Done for.
Kirkland - too fat. No loss there.
Brown - Offered "solid" play in Seattle, but nothing that great.
Greene - Went on to still be very productive, but Gildon did very well in his place (except his last two years when he sucked really bad.)
Joey Porter - had weak 1st year in Miami followed with a real nice season. But we are better with Silver Back playing in his spot.
Merriweather - Ok years in MN. Nothing that was missed all that much.
Hardy Nickerson - Solid years in TB but was fully replaced and not missed.
Gildon - Don't make me laugh. Was worthless last two years _in_ Pgh.
Kendrell Bell - Did nothing for KC. Waste.
Earl Holmes - offered decent play in Detroit, on real bad teams.
Clark Haggans - played in AZ.....put up no stats really. Better without him.

Other positions.

Rod Woodson - had football left in him for sure. Won ring in Balt. But that doesn't mean letter him leave wasn't the right thing; feelings were hurt and he was too pissed to come back, period.
Carnell Lake - Did almost nothing in Jax.
John Jackson - Did almost nothing in SD.
Searcy - Only had 1-2 decent years in JAX after he left. Worst crime with him was letting he rot on the bench for too long. Thanks Cowher.
Neil O'Donnell - sucked in NY; never did a thing since Pgh.
Buckner - had some good years.
Thigpen - did nothing for TN. He was so unproductive, surprised TN would touch Nate with a 10' pole.
Eric Green - some decent seasons in Balt., but didn't amount to anything.
Deon Figures - I remember him playing some where (Jax?) but never did much.
Plex Burress - was instrumental in NY winning SB, but we won as soon as he left and another since then, so obviously not a big loss. And now he's in trouble. He is a huge attitude problem. Good riddens.
Troy Edwards - lol

KingofSparta
06-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Lawrence Timmons is the most athletically gifted linebacker on the LB corp but he came out of college incredibly raw and with limited experience. While he has done a great job developing into a starter in our nickel and dime packages as well as being a very effective weapon in Lebeau's zone blitz scheme on passing downs, he still is fundamentally flawed. This is why Larry Foote continues to keep him out of the full starting rotation. What concerns me about Timmons as a player is that he is not a good form tackler, he sometimes takes bad angles and is not real strong against the run, and has occasionally shown that he can be susceptible to being exploited in play action.

If he can tighten up these fundamentals, and also put on another 10 pounds of rock diesel, he can supplant Foote as the full time Mack backer. With his speed and athleticism, he could also end up becoming a real terror at the ILB position. There's still a lot of "What If's" but I've got faith in the kid, and because we have the best LB coach in the league in Keith Butler. If anyone can correct Timmons' fundamentals, Keith is the man.

Go Steelers.

steel9guy
06-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Timmons will be the next James Harrison. but even better.

KingofSparta
06-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Timmons has light years to go before he even scratches the same stratosphere as Jimmy. That would also require shifting Timmons to the outside when he's spent the past two seasons being groomed into Foote's replacement as the Mack backer (LILB). Either way, he still needs more size and better fundamentals before he'll work his way into the full time starting rotation.

Steelers & I
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Ridiculous. Should we go out and find sub-par players at most of the positions so we can afford to overpay a few superstars?

This is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen made on this board, and, Christ, have I seen some REALLY stupid arguments.

Timmons hasn't even produced anything yet! He could fall flat on his face! This is counting chickens before the eggs have even been laid, let alone hatched.

Look, dude, I know you made this ludicrous argument in the heat of battle awhile back, and you feel compelled to stick with it through thick and thin, but if there was ever a case where it's better to back of and reverse course, THIS would be a damned good one.

Nah you look "DUDE". In reference to the 1st bold paragraph above. That was my exact reasoning for trading Timmons as I suggested several weeks ago. Many of you shot that idea down because you believe that Timmons is a beast in the making, some stated that he has more upside than any of the Steelers LBers. I haven't seen it yet, I'm not all that impressed with him thus far. I suggested trading him while he still has value, meaning that the entire NFL will downgrade his value if he isn't STARTING and PRODUCING in his 3rd season. Once again, it's a lot of you who believe that Timmons will be a beast, not I.

In reference to the 2nd bold paragraph. Initially I'm LMAO. Ludicrous argument you say? Geez, I don't believe that there's ANYONE, EVER, amongst these boards,that has been accused of writing and posting "ludicrous arguments" as often as you. Many, MANY, members have received reputation points based upon thread replies directed SOLELY at you. if anyone needs a crash course in backing off and reversing course, it's definitely you, DUDE!

Steelers & I
06-28-2009, 11:49 PM
How in the WORLD can a person argue that

1. Timmons is NOT a beast... but yet

2. Timmons WILL be too expensive to sign.

Please, Someone, explain this logic to me.

Maybe if you followed the entire thread then no one would have to explain it to you. Get with the program or stay out of it.

You're darn right, I don't believe that Timmons is a beast.

It's many of you, go back and check it out if you wish, who've indicated that Timmons is a beast, and that Timmons has more upside than any of the Steelers LBers, so I said fine, lets play along. If that is indeed the case, Timmons being a beast, do you think that he'll come cheap?

Preacher
06-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Maybe if you followed the entire thread then no one would have to explain it to you. Get with the program or stay out of it.

You're darn right, I don't believe that Timmons is a beast.

It's many of you, go back and check it out if you wish, who've indicated that Timmons is a beast, and that Timmons has more upside than any of the Steelers LBers, so I said fine, lets play along. If that is indeed the case, Timmons being a beast, do you think that he'll come cheap?

I did follow the thread, until I came across the logic I quoted. Either you think he will be a bust, or you think he will be too expensive because he is too good.

BTW. If you crystal ball is so clear, I take it you are a billionare by investing in the stock market, or gambling on games, players, right?

Steelers & I
06-29-2009, 02:52 AM
I did follow the thread, until I came across the logic I quoted. Either you think he will be a bust, or you think he will be too expensive because he is too good.

BTW. If you crystal ball is so clear, I take it you are a billionare by investing in the stock market, or gambling on games, players, right?

Oh no, does the forum now require that one have the ability to read a crystal ball before they're entitled to post? No one is entitled to post their opinion, is that what you're saying?

And then you state that you "quoted some logic"? Huh??? If you were quoting what I said then you wouldn't have to use the word "think", twice in one sentence, now would you? The logic that you quoted was your assessment of what you came away with after allegedly reading the thread.

Here's what I said about Timmons several weeks ago. "If he's not starting by his 3rd season, then I would consider him a bust". Now that statement was made prior to Larry Foote's release so obviously Timmons is penciled in as a starter at this point. That's just my opinion of a former 1st round draft choice. I believe that all 1st round draft choices should be starting by their 3rd season. That's not too much to ask for is it?

Many others countered my argument by stating that Timmons will be a beast in the near future. Some even went on to say that Timmons is the best prospect that the Steelers have at LB so there's no way that they would trade him.

So either way, whether he turns out to be a beast or a bust, I still believe that the Steelers should trade him. If he winds up being a bust, then no explanation is necessary, trade him now, while he still has value, before the other teams in the league conclude that he's a bust.

If he turns out to be a future beast in the NFL, then the Steelers "most likely" won't be able to afford him when the time comes to re-sign him. Unless of course you somehow believe that the Steelers will allocate a large percentage of their salary cap to 3 linebackers. I don't see that happening, the Steelers have never dedicated that much of their cap to any one position in the past so why should I believe that they'll do it in a year or two?

You have your opinion and I have mine. Time will tell, not a crystal ball.

BlastFurnace
06-29-2009, 08:27 AM
From watching last year, Timmons is already playing an integral part of our defense. Last year, his speed and play making ability allowed LeBeau to put him in roles previously played by Troy. This released Troy to play a more traditional safety for us.

I think Timmons already is an excellent player and will flourish in our defense. I don't know if we will be able to sign him or not. I'm not sure we will be able to sign Woodley and Holmes either, but that doesn't mean I want to trade either of them.

Let's enjoy this window of great players right now and hopefully get another SB or 2.

revefsreleets
06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
[/b]

Nah you look "DUDE". In reference to the 1st bold paragraph above. That was my exact reasoning for trading Timmons as I suggested several weeks ago. Many of you shot that idea down because you believe that Timmons is a beast in the making, some stated that he has more upside than any of the Steelers LBers. I haven't seen it yet, I'm not all that impressed with him thus far. I suggested trading him while he still has value, meaning that the entire NFL will downgrade his value if he isn't STARTING and PRODUCING in his 3rd season. Once again, it's a lot of you who believe that Timmons will be a beast, not I.

In reference to the 2nd bold paragraph. Initially I'm LMAO. Ludicrous argument you say? Geez, I don't believe that there's ANYONE, EVER, amongst these boards,that has been accused of writing and posting "ludicrous arguments" as often as you. Many, MANY, members have received reputation points based upon thread replies directed SOLELY at you. if anyone needs a crash course in backing off and reversing course, it's definitely you, DUDE!

There is opinion, and there is informed opinion.

You, sir, post very little resembling the latter. Welcome to my ignore list, which currently includes the banned asshat Cheppy and the racist Steel_12.

As far as "ludicrous", I consider it an honor that I am considered controversial, and I am quite pleased that there are many people here who post rep points based solely on taking the counter position in re what I post. But I guarantee you that if you think taking the contrarian position to what I post makes you always right, than you are sadly and woefully mistaken.

You argument about Timmons is ignorant and, quite frankly, doesn't even make sense. I doubt you'll find a SINGLE poster here who will agree with you. It's one thing to foist off idiocy, but when you are repeatedly shown to be flat-out wrong, yet still continue that illogical and wrongheaded line of reasoning, the value of your "opinion" drops down to being worth about zero.

I will not miss reading your drivel. In the meantime, do yourself, and all of us a favor...

http://www.rollsrox.com/blog/public/geeking/football_for_dummies.jpg

Hammer67
06-29-2009, 09:54 AM
This thread kind of spiraled out of control, but I have to side with Preach and say that the logic behind this stance is pretty lacking.

Timmons put up pretty awesome stats for a part time player last year.

Let us not forget that Harrison also had this type of rep, playing part time, simply because he was behind Porter.

Whether he is a success or not, the argument to get rid of him before he costs the team too much is quite silly considering that NO TEAM WOULD EVER CONSIDER THAT. They WANT great players. And by arguing the Steelers have let go great talent in the past because of that type of scenario also doesn't make sense in this context. Have they let people go?? Sure...but I think they have done alright.

Steel Head
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Timmons is a 100 times better than Lauranaitas or Hawk

revefsreleets
06-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh, let me go ahead and add Steel Head to that list.

pancake
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I think Timmons will be better than Foote, but I was disappointed the LF left. I thought that Foote would replace an aging Farrior. I see the FO drafting a LB somewhere in the first 3 rounds, to either replace Farrior and/or FA loss of Timmons. I think if FO had to choose between Timmons and Woodley, they easily choose Woodley. It's harder to find an outstanding pass rusher than an outstanding ILB.

Harrison, Woodley, Timmons & Farrior are by far the best LB core in the league.

tony hipchest
06-30-2009, 08:56 PM
It's harder to find an outstanding pass rusher than an outstanding ILB.

actually timmons was selected with thoughts that he may replace j. porter but j. harrison quickly put the kibosh on that.