1st Alex Mack, OC California
2nd Mike Mickins, CB Cincinnati
3rd Mike Thomas, WR Arizona
4th Mitch King, DE Iowa
5th Frank Summers, RB UNLV
5th Alex Boone, OT Ohio State
6th Brandon Underwood, S Cincinnati

draftzoo.com

I could see the picks playing out for the Steelers on draft day and I like a lot of the picks.

:helmet:

Steeldude
04-14-2009, 12:19 AM
i see no reason to waste a pick on a WR that early.

MDSteel15
04-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Replace WR Thomas with another offensive lineman and I could live with it.... besides Boone no real character issues!

ShutDown24
04-14-2009, 02:51 AM
I could take or leave Alex Mack but since so many Steelers fans are in love with him I guess it would be a generally satisfying selection.

Mickins wouldn't be horrible in the second.

Mike Thomas might be gone in the second at this point, if we could get him in the third I would be ecstatic.

I love the Mitch King pick.

Not too high on selecting a back at all in the draft so I don't particularly care for Summers in the fifth.

Alex Boone would be alright.

I'm fine with Underwood though I don't think he would have a chance at making the roster to be honest.

SteelersTilIDie
04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Replace WR Thomas with another offensive lineman and I could live with it.... besides Boone no real character issues!

The honest truth is offensive lineman don't always pan out like everyone thinks they do, and it is annyoing how people think that by taking a lot of them it will make our line awesome. To tell the truth, the steelers are built to win right now. These next 2 maybe three years is the window for us to win the superbowl again without needing to rebuild. Our QB is in his prime, we have a good balance of veterans and younger guys. Also, our defense is in the tail end of its stalwart years, as all of our DLIneman are over 30, harrison will start slowing down in the next year or two, and in three years our secondary will be regarded as aging. At 32, their are rarely any offensive lineman that can step in and play right away, because they are usually raw and need to be groomed for a couple of years. A receiver, Dlineman, or corner, on the other hand, can usually step in right away and contribute. As a rookie, Santonio was in there, Defensive LIne is not a mentally difficult position, and corners (McKelvin, Rodgers-Cromartie, etc.) can usually step in and contribute to the defense as a whole while learning. My point is that the drop off between the olineman at 32 and 64 isn't that great, and the learning curve is just about the same. I'm not by any means saying that the steelers shouldn't draft an OL if he falls, because I would, but reaching for a 2nd tier lineman in the first round (i.e. Beatty) wouldn't be as smart of a move as everyone thinks. Instead, what if someone like Laurinaitis or Jackson or someone maybe even like Percy Harvin fell to us. Could you honestly say you would take a risk and reach for a 2nd Round OL in the first or would you take the surefire first round instant contributor? I know that many people have conflicting opinions with me and about this topic as a whole, but remember we do have a super-bowl caliber offensive line or else we wouldn't have won it. I"m not saying don't take an OL because I'm all for it, but reaching for one in the late first round doesn't make much sense to me. Hey, Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent, and their are hidden gems like that littered throughout the draft and the STeelers usually find them.

Dynasty
04-14-2009, 09:51 PM
that's true, but players like holmes are anomalies.. most players in general aren't very good in year one, so why not take someone who will be good later, but at a position we need more?

SunshineMan21
04-14-2009, 11:57 PM
1st Alex Mack, OC California
2nd Mike Mickins, CB Cincinnati
3rd Mike Thomas, WR Arizona
4th Mitch King, DE Iowa
5th Frank Summers, RB UNLV
5th Alex Boone, OT Ohio State
6th Brandon Underwood, S Cincinnati

draftzoo.com

I could see the picks playing out for the Steelers on draft day and I like a lot of the picks.

:helmet:

Would be ecstatic with this . . . we address all our positions of need (although I would like Beatty, Mack is still awesome), and pick up quality players with every pick.

I'm particularly a fan of Mike Thomas. Him, Robiskie, Hakeem Nicks, and Quan Cosby would all make me happy, although obviously Nicks isn't going to happen.

Dylan
04-15-2009, 08:25 AM
i like this draft also, besides boone....and i think, but am not sure, but i think mickens will drop because of his injury