View Full Version : Giants Expecting Edwards

The Definiti0n
04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Sources: Giants expected to land Edwards

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 23 minutes ago

Buzz up! 2 votes
Print

Yahoo! Sports

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards is expected to become a member of the New York Giants before the NFL draft on April 25-26, according to a pair of sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

“The Giants are going to have to up the offer a bit, but [the Browns] are willing to move him,” said one of two sources with knowledge of the talks between the teams.

Photo Edwards and the Browns had a rough season in 2008
(James Lang/US Presswire)

New York is trying to replace talented yet troubled wideout Plaxico Burress, released by the team on April 3 after a turbulent year near and far from the field. Meanwhile, Cleveland is open to ridding itself of Edwards, who set the team record for touchdown catches in 2007 with 16, because he’s being viewed as someone who will have difficulty working with new coach Eric Mangini.

The Browns reportedly asked for a second- and fifth-round pick and receiver Steve Smith, but the Giants declined. New York countered by offering the two draft picks and receiver Domenik Hixon for Edwards.

Neither the Browns or Giants could be reached for this story, but both sources said the gap will be bridged before the draft.

“The Giants are motivated, they’re trying to win right now,” the aforementioned quoted source said. “Edwards is a bigger guy that [quarterback] Eli [Manning] wants to throw to, like he had with Plaxico. The Giants know they can’t leave Eli with no great receivers. They saw what happened last year.”

New York’s offense sputtered over the final five games of the season after Burress was suspended by the team after shooting himself at a New York nightclub.

Edwards (6.-foot-3 215 pounds), who has expressed a strong desire to play in a large market like New York, isn’t quite as big as Burress (6-5, 232) but would give the Giants a nice-sized target.

Edwards, the third overall pick in 2005, has shown flashes of his joining the league’s elite wideouts, catching 80 balls for 1,289 yards in his record-setting ’07 season. However, that’s the only time he has surpassed 900 yards in a season over his first four years. Last season, Edwards slumped to 55 catches for 873 yards and three touchdowns during the Browns’ disappointing 4-12 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Lol...what if OchoStinko get trade as well. The Stains and The Bungles what have any offense what so ever:drink::drink:

steelerdave1969
04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
It would really suprise me if the Giants trade for this guy unless it is Very Cheap!! And I dont see that happening....

But I have my :popcorn: ready....:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Let him go he was about the only offense they had and now they won't have none.

Steelman16
04-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Mr. Drop going to New York? They must be desperate indeed.

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Dixon is a very good WR...he's ready to break out. He played at Akron right down the road, so the Browns will know what they are getting.

And they desperately need draft picks if they are in full-on rebuild mode...

Dino 6 Rings
04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I bet Edwards will take any deal he can to get out of having to play Us twice a year.

He'll sign for a box of hard candy and 3 gummy worms just to avoid being crushed by our D-backs for another season.

lilyoder6
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
yea.. the browns do need the draft picks.. and hixon wouldn't be a bad pick-up...
go 4 it browns

MasterOfPuppets
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
did you hear that ??? .........................that was the sound of all those edwards jersies hitting the trash can !!!....:rofl:

KeiselPower99
04-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow Mangina is really blowing them apart. Should we really be suprised though? The more rebuilding he does the more time he will get to screw it up as well.

St33lersguy
04-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I would miss him dropping balls 2x a year against us if this did occur

mwehrle27
04-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Rotoworld just said this trade is unlikely to happen.

xfl2001fan
04-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Giants fans are mostly torn on this one...Theyve got 10 draft picks this year (2 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd and 2 in the 5th) so they don't mind giving up a "lesser" player (Dixon) plus draft picks. But at the same time, they're concerned about his drops.

I don't know how good Plax was about his concentration...but he had to be better than Edwards.