PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch signs a 1-year deal

Galax Steeler
04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Steelers re-signed QB Charlie Batch to a one-year, $895,000 contract. The deal includes a $50,000 signing bonus.
This was the obvious move after Pittsburgh lost Byron Leftwich. Batch is 34 and missed all of 2008 with a broken collarbone. He'll have to fend off rising second-year quarterback Dennis Dixon to back up Ben Roethlisberger.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

lilyoder6
04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
knew it was going to happen..

but,,. wooo.. what a signing bonus

Steelman16
04-14-2009, 04:09 PM
About right.

Carolina Steelers
04-14-2009, 04:15 PM
glad to have him back in the fold. Need a veteran back-up not sure if Dixon is ready yet.

stillers4me
04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Since they weren't willing to spend the money on Byron, let's hope they plan to spend some to protect Ben so we don't need high caliber backup. I love Charlie and all, but I'm afraid his best days are behind him.

revefsreleets
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Reliable vet back-up signed on the cheap.

I'd say skip wasting a pick on a QB now and focus on other areas. Ben, Dixon and Batch are solid. Maybe a FA signing as a warm camp body if you HAVE to have a 4th QB or pick-up some journeyman...

HometownGal
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Steelers re-signed QB Charlie Batch to a one-year, $895,000 contract. The deal includes a $50,000 signing bonus.
This was the obvious move after Pittsburgh lost Byron Leftwich. Batch is 34 and missed all of 2008 with a broken collarbone. He'll have to fend off rising second-year quarterback Dennis Dixon to back up Ben Roethlisberger.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

I think it's :bs: that Batch signed for more than Leftwich was offered by the Steelers. :doh:

Please oh Please let Ben stay healthy this season. :hope:

St33lersguy
04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Great signing, he's dependable & it gives us a proven backup behind Ben.

steelreserve
04-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Since they weren't willing to spend the money on Byron, let's hope they plan to spend some to protect Ben so we don't need high caliber backup.

Well, what did they do ... gave Starks a huge contract, gave Kemo a big raise, gave Colon a big raise.

Looks like their strategy was to spend lots of money to NOT protect Ben. :alcoholic

AllD
04-14-2009, 05:59 PM
The OL will get better since they will have more experience playing together. One rule is that if you keep the team intact, it will get better. Look at the 1979 team.

KeiselPower99
04-14-2009, 07:25 PM
I heard on the radio here in West Virginia from the pft guy that Leftwich might not even be in Tampa when the season starts. As for Charlie glad he resigned and that contract he signed is a vetern minimum contract. The more you play the more of a minimum you are due.

rich4eagle
04-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Batch, is a solid back up............good move to resign him

jev7452
04-14-2009, 09:34 PM
im happy to have batch back.. and byron wanted to be a starter somewhere and with ben being young and healthy, he wanted to branch out but said he would have come back to the steelers if not offered a starting postition.. oh well!

FredScott
04-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I think this is a solid player to re sign, I mean he might be 34 but hes been basically a career backup if you throw out detroit so he hasn't taken a beating like alot of QB's do so even though hes 34 hes still solid and good enough to get us through this season should we need him but Big Ben is a tough guy and the O Line has a whole year together under their belt now plus this offseason so I think th eline will be alot better this year as well.

Galax Steeler
04-15-2009, 03:36 AM
They signed him for just one year. I was just a wondring if this could be his last year in black and gold.

Dylan
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
very happy about batch signing, would loved to have seen leftwitch back, but batch loves the that he is in, so a very good move

SouthTexasSteel
04-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't mind Trent Green getting a shot at the 2 or 3 for the league minimum.

klick81
04-15-2009, 10:32 AM
How much was Leftwich offered by the Steelers?

tony hipchest
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
as low an offer they could go. league minimum/ 2 years and for his tenure that was $605,000 this year and like $800,000 next year.

steelreserve
04-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I think it's :bs: that Batch signed for more than Leftwich was offered by the Steelers. :doh:

I think once you take out the whopping $50,000 signing bonus, that's roughly the minimum they could offer Batch. Although you're right, they should've at least offered Leftwich the $1.4 million Batch was making before. I don't think there was really any way we could compete with the dollar amount of Tampa's offer though. Or the chance to start.

aclark99
04-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't like his signing. Batch is done. I wish Leftwich would have returned. I would be surprised if Leftwich got released during camp and signs with us. Why wouldn't we look at a guy like Rex Grossman. He is in the same category as Leftwich was last year. Might be a good backup for us.

fansince'76
04-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't like his signing. Batch is done. I wish Leftwich would have returned.

What incentive did Leftwich have to return? He wants to play, not carry a clipboard. He's better than anyone else on TB's roster at the position.

steelreserve
04-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't like his signing. Batch is done. I wish Leftwich would have returned. I would be surprised if Leftwich got released during camp and signs with us. Why wouldn't we look at a guy like Rex Grossman. He is in the same category as Leftwich was last year. Might be a good backup for us.

Also, Rex Grossman??? Please. That guy has Tommy Maddox written all over him. He'll be making up stories about people throwing garbage on his lawn before you know it.

LVSteelersfan
04-15-2009, 05:43 PM

OMG, did you seriously say Grossman? The guy is a hack who should have been drummed out of the league years ago. He is nowhere near in the same league as Leftwitch in any way shape or form. I will take Batch although I wish Lefty could have been signed. But with the contracts given out, there isn't much space left to be worked with. So Lefty was the odd man out. (not saying I thought Lefty was the best backup by any stretch but he was ok) Not a terrible thing as I think the line will be more productive with another year under their belt. I am hoping Kemoeatu gets his act together and becomes the beast that he should be. Starks and Hartwig are serviceable. I am more worried about Colon and Stapleton. Hopefully we can find a replacement for Colon in the draft. Stapleton could pan out in the long run as he wasn't terrible when he started last year.

StainlessStill
04-15-2009, 05:57 PM
OMG, did you seriously say Grossman? The guy is a hack who should have been drummed out of the league years ago. He is nowhere near in the same league as Leftwitch in any way shape or form. I will take Batch although I wish Lefty could have been signed. But with the contracts given out, there isn't much space left to be worked with. So Lefty was the odd man out. (not saying I thought Lefty was the best backup by any stretch but he was ok) Not a terrible thing as I think the line will be more productive with another year under their belt. I am hoping Kemoeatu gets his act together and becomes the beast that he should be. Starks and Hartwig are serviceable. I am more worried about Colon and Stapleton. Hopefully we can find a replacement for Colon in the draft. Stapleton could pan out in the long run as he wasn't terrible when he started last year.

+1. Good post.

Preacher
04-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Absolutely correct. I definitiely think Batch went down hill two years ago. Then with last year's physical problem. Well, I am not happy right now.

However, isn't it nice that our biggest worry right now is our BACKUP QB? its good to be a Steelers fan.

Stlrs4Life
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Welcome back Charlie!

HometownGal
04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Also, Rex Grossman??? Please. That guy has Tommy Maddox written all over him. He'll be making up stories about people throwing garbage on his lawn before you know it.

Would you please knock off the shit about Maddox? It's getting real old real fast, oh Prez of the "What Have You Done For Me Lately" Club. Must have banged your head off the wagon when you jumped off after the stellar 2002 season he had. :rolleyes: