PDA

View Full Version : Troy Needs To Get Under Control

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Troy once again lost his cool with both the personal foul into which he was baited when he shoved the ball in the Bengal's face (which kept alive a drive for a TD) and then with the brain cramp on the lateral after the INT.

He is our best player on the D but he has had several incidents that have been troubling since mid-season. For lack of a better reason I will blame it on the SI cover jinx but he is too smart a player to keep behaving like this.

To have a chance on Sunday everyone needs to bring their A game and the Steelers cannot spend time attempting to prove their manhood with conduct that will draw flags.

As Ed.B.in the P-G said this morning, if it takes the D as long to find its footing on Sunday as it did yesterday the Steelers will not be down 17-7, they will be down by 4 TDs and the game will be over.

Can't wait for Sunday!

AKSteeler
01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I love Troy. It was awesome to see him on fire yesterday. Yes, he lost his cool, and got too caught up in the emotion of the game. And his lateral...again, playing with emotion, he got so fired up and excited and wasn't thinking straight, and thank God it worked out. Anyway, he'll be in it more mentally for next week.

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

pitt
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
He is a great player but he does need to get some control. You can yell all you want at another player but to put the ball into the guys face was just stupid. Penalties for things like that may cost us a win one of these days.

JustaFan
01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
It cost them four points last night, it would have been fouth down & then settle for a field goal attempt. Instead it kept their drive alive the lead to a td & a 17-7 lead.

SteelerFanInCA
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Troy got away with that one. He needs to play a little more level headed in this next game. We pretty much need to play mistake free football. Maybe Troy was a little frustrated because USC lost. Who knows.

clevestinks
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Yes he does needs to get under control! But who knows what was being said, and he was being pushed around. I`m sure afterwards he felt as bad as anyone!

TasmanianTroy271
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Laterals are a funny thing, if they work it's brilliant. If it doesn't work, then you're just an idiot.

And you never know what was going on down on the field, you can watch the video over and over again but you'll never know what was said to provoke him into that. I'm more upset at Tyrone Carter. He was alot worse than Troy.

Plus, ever notice that whenever he does get all rowled up like that, he plays his heart out to make it up? It happenend in San Diego earlier in the year, and he was jacking up gates all night. Ended that game with 9 tackles, and then in this game, he got 6 tackles, an Interception, and half a sack. So it's kind of a double edged sword. You get a personal foul penalty, but Troy's best play, too...

Prosdo
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree. Troy needs to keep himself under control a little more. Be fired up for the game, but don't do things like that. They can be costly.

Sharkissle29
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
troy will be fine, i love his emotion on the field. he even admitted what he did was stupid, and i know he'll calm down by next game. he just wants to win badly

SteelerDan43
01-09-2006, 03:21 PM
He is obviously my favorite player but he did let his emotions get the best of him there. Oh well. Bill talked to him on the sidelines and after that he seemed to calm down. I would much rather him play with too much emotion than to just walk through the game

Grey
01-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Gotta love #43, but he really made two bonehead mistakes yesterday, and it really suprises me that he has had a few of the personal fouls this year.

IMHO, his play has gone down a bit, and that seemed to happen right around the time that he started collecting the personal fouls. (I think he has 4 this year, right?). For whatever reason, he isn't playing his best. However, in the first half of the season, he was playing nearly perfect football, so that's a tough standard to live up to.

I guess what really got me even more than those personal fouls, was the lateral yesterday; I just can't except any excuse for that: we had a 14 point lead, the ball was deep in our territory, and when he threw it back, there were 3 Bungles ready to be on that ball, with nothing but endzone in front of them if it would have been dropped. Wow, what a risky decision. That would have put the Bengals within 7 and given them the momentum. Remember the Randle El lateral aainst New England? It was a turning point in that game, and I'm just so glad the lateral wasn't dropped yesterday.

With all that said, I think #43 is fantastic, and I like to think that he will play his best game of the season and be a real difference maker on Sunday.

Here we go.
Grey

83-Steelers-43
01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
The lateral... well - that was an error. Was not the smartest move.

While I do not condone his unsporstmanlike penalty, I will not hold the unsportsmanlike conduct against him... there was a lot going on and I don't think for one second that it was unprovoked. There was bound to be at least one call like that on the field tonight - if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. The intensity heading into that game (post-game Joey Porter) spoke volumes about what was to be expected.

In my opinion, he is one year away from being a truly dominant player. He is still learning. He'll be fine. Great players realize and admit to their mistakes. He's done that and I have no doubt he will learn from his mistakes.

Sharkissle29
01-09-2006, 04:53 PM
The lateral... well - that was an error. Was not the smartest move.

While I do not condone his unsporstmanlike penalty, I will not hold the unsportsmanlike conduct against him... there was a lot going on and I don't think for one second that it was unprovoked. There was bound to be at least one call like that on the field tonight - if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. The intensity heading into that game (post-game Joey Porter) spoke volumes about what was to be expected.

In my opinion, he is one year away from being a truly dominant player. He is still learning. He'll be fine. Great players realize and admit to their mistakes. He's done that and I have no doubt he will learn from his mistakes.
porters post game quotes were just histerical. i bet the bengals wish now that they should have bit their tongue and kept their mouths shut...

SalukiSteelers
01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
While I love the intensity and athleticism Troy brings every game, he's seemed to lose his head a little too much this season. Settling personal scores and/or pressing to make plays usually results in bad things. If he keeps it up he's going to get a "bonehead" label placed on him. Don't think that guys on the Colts aren't looking at some of the dumb personal foul stuff and licking their chops.

24seven
01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Troys football toss was totally provocted by Cincy.. The guy got up in his face and pushed him and being that he had the ball it was an instant reaction to throw it in his face.. If he hadn't had the ball he probably wouldn't have got the penalty.. It was just an unfortunate situation and with the tempers already as high as they were it was a matter of time before SOMEONE was flagged. The toss back in my opinion is no big deal and shouldn't be treated as such.. No harm.. no foul.. let it go.. Which is what Cower basically told him judging by the smile and pat on the head after the speach.. Don't do it again.. but you got away with it so good job.. The guy that needs to drop a few head sizes is Carter.. It was royally pissing me off with his high on himself antics. Everytime he hit someone he thought he was gods gift to football.. The Steelers players normally have a move (porter kick.. Foote stomp.. etc.. ) but when players act like jackasses like he was or like the dumbass on Cincy that crawled on his knees.. it's just very irritating.. Hopefully he gets more of a talking to than Troy as I believe deep inside he knows where his mistakes ly and will correct them in the future.. Carter seems a little immature at times but hopefully with the right guidance he'll come around.

Livinginthe past
01-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Well Troy appears to be the ultimate athelete for sure - he covers alot of ground and always brings the heat.

But in 'big time' Playoff football you cannot afford to draw attention to such a weakness in your game as Troy does - you can bet all future opponents will be right in his face trying to provoke a reaction.

A mistake like that against opponents such as the Colts will provoke a much bigger penalty - that Colts O is lethal if you give them a short field.

Anyone know what Troys wonderlic score is? He seems to lose the plot quite a bit at crucial moments - any indiscipline will be punished by the big boys of the AFC - as the Pats proved by making him bite on that huge play action pass.

Clever players know where to draw the line and they always stay in control - id love to see #43 nail a Colt or two next week....is Peyton too much to ask for?

Cheers
NM

clevestinks
01-09-2006, 05:56 PM
You won`t have to worry about Manning! We`re coming to Foxsboro. So get out all your extra blankets! We are all staying the night!

tony hipchest
01-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Well Troy appears to be the ultimate athelete for sure - he covers alot of ground and always brings the heat.

But in 'big time' Playoff football you cannot afford to draw attention to such a weakness in your game as Troy does - you can bet all future opponents will be right in his face trying to provoke a reaction.

A mistake like that against opponents such as the Colts will provoke a much bigger penalty - that Colts O is lethal if you give them a short field.

Anyone know what Troys wonderlic score is? He seems to lose the plot quite a bit at crucial moments - any indiscipline will be punished by the big boys of the AFC - as the Pats proved by making him bite on that huge play action pass.

Clever players know where to draw the line and they always stay in control - id love to see #43 nail a Colt or two next week....is Peyton too much to ask for?

Cheers
NM

actually i have a wonderlic scorecard of all the steelers in my wallet. let me check............

Tim
01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Right now Troy is a good player and a great athelete, but until he's coached better he's just a weapon and weapons are great when you're in control of them.

I think one of the problems is that Troy is so laid back off the field. I think Cowher doesn't feel like he has to do much with him because when he's not in the game, he's probably not quite so crazy. Cowher needs to recognize that Troy gets a little nuts come game time and do something to get him under control.

Livinginthe past
01-09-2006, 07:21 PM
actually i have a wonderlic scorecard of all the steelers in my wallet. let me check............

Tony, its 15 minutes since you posted that you were getting your wallet - is it really that big that its taking you this long to find your way through it?

Beers On Tony! :drink:

NM

tony hipchest
01-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Tony, its 15 minutes since you posted that you were getting your wallet - is it really that big that its taking you this long to find your way through it?

Beers On Tony! :drink:

NM

well i found my act scores, my credit report, and a coupon for a free dog grooming.....
i know its in here somewhere!

(i hope i didnt throw it out with my social security card! :dang: )

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Troy's score was 24 - Carson Palmer got a 26

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1590

Livinginthe past
01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Troy's score was 24 - Carson Palmer got a 26

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1590

Superb find Atlanta Dan!

Rep points to you sir.

NM

Atlanta Dan
01-09-2006, 08:12 PM
All hail the power of Google!

tony hipchest
01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
hmmmmmm. i wonder what the over/under is on the difference between marshal faulks score and m. clarett? im gonna say 24.

SteelCityMan786
01-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Don't get outta control Troy. It might bite us.

TasmanianTroy271
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey Tony, can you post the Wonderlic scores for the Steelers if you find that thing, I think it'd be interesting to see. If anyone knows of a website, please post it...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
WE've gone thru w/ great players in the past.. all the way from Lambert to Lloyd, to Lee flowers, Porter, Troy,.... these guys are aggressive tough players.. occasionally you're gonna get stuff like this in the heat of the moment.

as long as it doesnt get out of control you trade off stuff like this from time to time.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Could not locate a site that breaks down Wonderlic scores by team, but this link is to a compilation of QB Wonderlic scores.

Kordell and Neil O'Donnell did not do well and Akili Smith allegedly cheated to increase his score when he took the test a second time.

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

fergusonat
01-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Tyrone Carter was acting way too aggressive the entire game...he's gotta calm down more than Troy does, IMO. That sort of smart-ass conduct just doesn't fit the Steelers' mentality. Sure Troy gets sort of flustered sometimes and lashes out, but I think Troy is shocked as anyone when he does it. He's just not that kind of guy.

Suitanim
01-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Troy is not gonna change...Cowher has even come out and said Troy plays right on the edge, and he doesn't want to do anything to take away from that...I think he has contributed far more than he has subtracted by being overly aggressive on occasion.

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Being aggressive without being flagged on a regular basis for personal fouls (which I recall started happening around the time of the San Diego game with Troy) would seem to be a core competency for a defensive player. These flags have not been for hits within the field of play - they have been for hits out of bounds or after the whistle has blown.

You can play on the edge without being stupid - everyone could see what was coming before the flag on Sunday but Troy went ahead and shoved the ball in the opponent's face anyhow. If you get a rep for being easily baited, opponents and the refs are not going to ignore that fact.

Joey Porter used to be the prime culprit for this sort of conduct (as he once again behaved like an 8 year old by jawing at the 45 yard line before the game on Sunday) - this attitude has spread to the extent it is costing points (the last Bengals score on Sunday) and, in the case of the Jax game where a Troy flag kept a drive going, defeats.

ESPN's Tom Jackson was no lightweight as a player and does not dislike the Steelers, but he commented on the chippiness being a problem on Sunday. When your last string DB feels a need to get into the act, as happened on Sunday, someone on the coaching staff needs to tell the players to get a grip.

Suitanim
01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, Cowher was asked about it, and he seemed to think that Troy making such an impact by being on edge is worth a few 15 yard penalties here and there...no offense, but I'm sticking with the coach on this one...

tony hipchest
01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
ESPN's Tom Jackson was no lightweight as a player and does not dislike the Steelers, but he commented on the chippiness being a problem on Sunday. When your last string DB feels a need to get into the act, as happened on Sunday, someone on the coaching staff needs to tell the players to get a grip.

i saw that. he pretty much said if the steelers think they are gonna talk their way to a victory and verbally intimidate the colts they are in for a rude awakining (this being said as they showed clips of the steelers jawing at the colts in their last matchup)

i agree, while joey starting crap with the opposition during pregame is entertaining and funny as hell, there is a time and place for everything. now is the time to shelf it and play ball. (i do think cowher gets a kick out of these antics and it usually gets the team fired up, but this week its time to shelf this tactic.)