PDA

View Full Version : Deja vu all over again mock

DACEB
04-15-2009, 07:23 AM
This draft is set to be very interesting. Do you remember last year when there was a big run on OT's? I think we'll see something similar this draft, albeit with defensive players. With the influx of teams transitioning to the 3-4, I think it's safe to expect a big run on 3-4 type players. That should leave some very talented players to choose from at the end of round 1.

So who will the team take at 32? Might not be who you would expect. Does this situation seem familiar? Steelers pick 1.32 after a championship season, there's a top rated center right there for the taking......and the team selects a WR. That was 2006, and the team chose (SB MVP) Holmes over top rated center Mangold.

Flash forward to 2009, another championship season, another top center in the draft, and again a need for WR. Let's not forget that WR is a spot to be had on this roster. The team could roll this season with the exact same guys that won it all last year. Gay steps in for BMac and Mundy for Smith in the secondary. Sweed steps in for Washington at #3WR, but what do we have after that at WR? Nance and Baker are practice squad guys. And while I like their potential the team could draft a top rated receiver as the #4 and those guys would be safe on the practice squad for another year of grooming.

With that in mind, here's my mock

1. H. Nicks WR UNC
2. S. Martin DB Troy
3. J. Luigs C Ark
4. C. Baker DT Hampton
5. L. Vasquez OG TT
5. P. Egboh DE Stanford
6. J. Burnett DB/KR UCF
7. F. Summers RB/FB UNLV
7. R. Harris DT/DE Ore

Dylan
04-15-2009, 09:21 AM
i dont think that the steelrs will ever draft chris baker....to much of a problem...got kicked off penn state...maybe the bengals will take him

DACEB
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
i dont think that the steelrs will ever draft chris baker....to much of a problem...got kicked off penn state...maybe the bengals will take him

Hopefully he drops even lower because of that. The kids got tremendous upside and talent and could quite possibly flourish in this type of environment.

D. Scott is another option, but will most likely go sooner. Baker is better than Scott IMO.

What do you think about the premise and the rest of the mock?

Dylan
04-15-2009, 10:08 AM
i do like the draft especially the vasquez and harris picks, because i also have the steelers taken them in my mock draft..but i do not think they will take a wr in the 1st round...i dont think they really see that as a need with ward, holmes, and sweed..also i think that sherrod martin at round 2 is a reach

MDSteel15
04-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Shoot me if we pick a freaking WR in the 1st or 2nd rounds!

DACEB
04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
With all the talk about the O-line and the age of the D-line, WR is the thinnest position depthwise IMO.

Dylan
04-15-2009, 10:01 PM
With all the talk about the O-line and the age of the D-line, WR is the thinnest position depthwise IMO.

i would have to say cornerback would be our 2nd thinnest position

DACEB
04-16-2009, 11:17 AM
i would have to say cornerback would be our 2nd thinnest position

I would say o-line, where they need competition and depth at every position. There's also a chance for a starting spot at RG.