PDA

View Full Version : Jags sign Jones-Drew - 4 yr /$32.8M

Fire Haley
04-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't get any ideas, Willie...

Jaguars agreed to terms with RB Maurice Jones-Drew on a four-year, $32.8 million contract.

The deal's annual average of $8.2M makes MJD one of the NFL's three highest paid backs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4070094&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Galax Steeler
04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I really like Jones Drew and I like wactching him play. He is one of my favorite backs. Like Killer was saying I hope willie don't get no crazy idea.

steelreserve
04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow, that's a little much for him. I mean, the guy annoys the hell out of me every time we play the Jaguars, but I don't think he's one of the top 10 backs in the league, let alone top three.

I hope Willie does get ideas from this so he can go sign with the Raiders or some other team stupid enough to pay him that kind of money. He's pretty much just a waste of cap space to us at this point. The sooner his ass is out the door, the sooner defenses will have to stop laughing at our joke of a running game, and the sooner our offense can actually start living up to its potential.

revefsreleets
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
With Freddie gone, why not?

fansince'76
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Like Killer was saying I hope willie don't get no crazy idea.

I'll be surprised if Willie is still with the team in '10 either way....

Fire Haley
04-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I hope Willie does get ideas from this so he can go sign with the Raiders or some other team stupid enough to pay him that kind of money. He's pretty much just a waste of cap space to us at this point. The sooner his ass is out the door, the sooner defenses will have to stop laughing at our joke of a running game, and the sooner our offense can actually start living up to its potential.

Hate much? Waste of cap space? Get over yourself.

Willie can't run if the O-line don't block.

Dat's da name of dat tune.

steelreserve
04-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Hate much? Waste of cap space? Get over yourself.

Willie can't run if the O-line don't block.

Dat's da name of dat tune.

Willie can't run when the O-Line can block either. He can run against shitty defenses, but that's all he does and that's all he's ever been able to do.

But we've been over this already. Suffice to say on the day he's finally cut or his contract expires, it'll give me the same feeling as when you get a cast off and can finally return to normal. Only in this case, you have to wear the cast for 4 or 5 years. Waste of cap space, waste of a roster spot, and if he got traded for a 7th-round draft pick I'd call it a sucker deal for whoever took him off our hands.

Fire Haley
04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
He's no fatback, that's for sure.

He can still bust the run outside, that's why teams fear him.

He got us a ring with the Longest TD run in Super Bowl History, so I can't complain.

That said - I wouldn't mind seeing Mendenhall take over the #1 spot and let Wille spell him when defenses are tired, but we'll see...

steelreserve
04-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm never going to completely agree with a lot of people about Parker, but we'll just have to see what happens. Either way, we've got to start thinking about the future, and I hope Mendenhall turns out to prove he was worth that high pick...

lilyoder6
04-15-2009, 03:03 PM
i think mjd is a real good rb.. he can catch the ball out of the backfield.. and he has no problem hitting a def player right in the chest

The Duke
04-15-2009, 04:15 PM
His block on merriman is oneof the sweetest I've ever seen by a HB :chuckle:

get JAX an oline and MJD can carry this team to the playoffs

AllD
04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
FWP is needed in certain situations just like Mendehall will be used, not to mention Mewelde Moore, probably the most productive out of the backfield in the short passing game plus blocking.

Steelman16
04-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Mixed impressions on this deal. MJD *NOT THE MORON FROM YAHOO* can flat out play though, so it might be worth it.

HometownGal
04-16-2009, 08:05 AM
I've always liked Jones-Drew (except when he plays us, of course!) and it's good to see that the Jags also think so highly of him by rewarding him with such a nice chunk of change. The kid is a beast in the backfield and can catch those passes out of the backfield and take off with 'em about as good as any other back in the league.

Galax Steeler
04-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Mendy's the real deal. As long as he stays healthy, he will pan out immediately as a worthy 1st round draft pick. In the eyes of many, he was the best RB in the entire '08 draft class. And i tend to agree. I was stunned that the cowboys took Felix Jones over him.

I have to say I am glad we got Mendenhall but I think the cowboys got a good back in Jones as well he played pretty good last year.

Fire Haley
04-16-2009, 01:07 PM
OK - so the new word is it was a four-year, $31-million deal with $17.5 million guaranteed.

but who wants to quibble over a few million

Hines0wnz
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Wow, that's a little much for him. I mean, the guy annoys the hell out of me every time we play the Jaguars, but I don't think he's one of the top 10 backs in the league, let alone top three.

Willie can't run when the O-Line can block either. He can run against shitty defenses, but that's all he does and that's all he's ever been able to do.

But we've been over this already. Suffice to say on the day he's finally cut or his contract expires, it'll give me the same feeling as when you get a cast off and can finally return to normal. Only in this case, you have to wear the cast for 4 or 5 years. Waste of cap space, waste of a roster spot, and if he got traded for a 7th-round draft pick I'd call it a sucker deal for whoever took him off our hands.

I guess there is no off season for Willie hate. Geez.

steelreserve
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I guess there is no off season for Willie hate. Geez.

No, although you do bring up an interesting paradox. When the season ends, Parker cannot continue to suck, but people can continue to bitch about him (OK, I can continue to bitch about him). I guess some things in life aren't always fair.

lilyoder6
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
mjd is a hard worker.. good 4 him to get the money.. he'll have a nice yr w/ fred being gone