PDA

View Full Version : Pens / Flyers

Pages : 1 [2]

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 07:45 AM
I didn't get to see the game yet, but the bottom line is that if you want to win a championship, your goalie needs to come up huge and steal a couple of games along the way. Fleury obviously did that last night. All they need to do now is to put their foot on their necks and finish them off tomorrow night. :thumbsup: :tt02:

SCSTILLER
04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Meanwhile, Penguins defenseman Hal Gill had his own take on Flyers fans. "They're on the edge of cleanliness, I would say. It's crazy," he said. "You just hope your kids don't use some of the language you hear."

Kind of along what Gill said, but did anyone else see Crosby saying something to a fan after the game on the bench? He looked a little ticked off and another Pen (don't know who it was) just grabbed him and smiled while saying something, then the camera's moved onto something else. If I was Crosby, I would have held up my left hand to the fan and extended three fingers, then with the right hand extended one finger (just like this :countdown) and skated away smiling!

By the way, great game by Fleury :thumbsup: and maybe he can see a few less shots on Thursday! He won that game for us, hands down.

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Kind of along what Gill said, but did anyone else see Crosby saying something to a fan after the game on the bench? He looked a little ticked off and another Pen (don't know who it was) just grabbed him and smiled while saying something, then the camera's moved onto something else.

Yeah I saw that

(stupid Cryers fans)

trauben
04-22-2009, 08:30 AM
If I was Crosby, I would have held up my left hand to the fan and extended three fingers, then with the right hand extended one finger (just like this :countdown) and skated away smiling!
I didn't see it, but Sid's way to classy for that. That's why the Flyer fans hate him so much! For the most part, he ignores them and that infuriates them even more. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Kind of along what Gill said, but did anyone else see Crosby saying something to a fan after the game on the bench? He looked a little ticked off and another Pen (don't know who it was) just grabbed him and smiled while saying something, then the camera's moved onto something else. If I was Crosby, I would have held up my left hand to the fan and extended three fingers, then with the right hand extended one finger (just like this :countdown) and skated away smiling!

Crosby has done nothing but own the Flyers his entire career. He should have said that to that jackass Cryers fan, and THEN given him the "one finger salute."

vasteeler
04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn170/photobomb111/untitled.jpg

:rofl:
ehh what can I say
It sucks that a few years back philly was one of the most physical teams in the league

SteelMember
04-22-2009, 02:35 PM
I didn't get to see the game yet, but the bottom line is that if you want to win a championship, your goalie needs to come up huge and steal a couple of games along the way. Fleury obviously did that last night. All they need to do now is to put their foot on their necks and finish them off tomorrow night. :thumbsup: :tt02:

I totally agree, but they might call a penatly. All that blood could get pretty messy. Skates and all. :chuckle:

Crosby has done nothing but own the Flyers his entire career. He should have said that to that jackass Cryers fan, and THEN given him the "one finger salute."

I'm actually glad he shows more class. Flipping a fan off is Mike Vick BS.

Now, his language is another story. :wink02:

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Bruins sweep out the Habs. So much for their 100th anniversary season :rofl:

Rags win tonight and go up 3-1 in the series. One loss away from having a nice, long laugh at the bandwagon Crapitals fans' expense :sofunny:

Fire Haley
04-22-2009, 11:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CA-REYYY CA-REYYYY

Worst fans in the league jeering their own goalie - Priceless.

You can go boo the American anthem at home you Habs bitches

Edman
04-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Habs losing is great. Too bad Baahstan has to move on at their expense. Sorry, my hatred for Boston extends outside of Patricheat.

Crapitals losing will be even greater. They can take their "Crosby Sucks" anthem and shove it. Hockey Equivalent of the Bengals.

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 07:09 AM
I am glad the Rangers are beating the Caps so the Pens won't have to face the Bruins untill the conference finals

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I am glad the Rangers are beating the Caps so the Pens won't have to face the Bruins untill the conference finals

Is that true? I haven't even looked ahead.

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Game 5 - Pens Call for "Whiteout"

Penguins Call for "Whiteout" for Game 5
Pittsburgh Penguins

Apr 22, 2009, 9:09 AM EDT

The Pittsburgh Penguins are calling for a “Whiteout” for Game 5 of their Stanley Cup playoff series against the Philadelphia Flyers Thursday at 7 p.m. at Mellon Arena.

Each fan entering the game will receive a white t-shirt, courtesy of StarKist Co.

Fans also will receive white rally towels, courtesy of Trib Total Media.

------------------------------

Yeah - we totally ripped this from Winnipeg, so what.

Somebody get me a towelie.

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Is that true? I haven't even looked ahead.

Bruins (1 seed) just swept the Habs (8 seed). Rangers (7 seed) are up 3-1 on the Caps (2 seed). So if the Rangers beat the Caps they will automatically face the Bruins. And the Pens will face the winner of New Jersey/Carolina

Can't look too far ahead though, we have to take care of business tonight. If we get an early lead tonight, I think the Flyers and Biron will self destruct just like last year

GO PENS!!!!!

trauben
04-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Time to close this series!:tt02:
http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/staff/clozier/pens2.gif
GO HOME FLYERS!
http://msp173.photobucket.com/albums/w45/xsmallvillefanx/THE%20PENS%20ROCK/flyerfreezone.jpg

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
The Whiteout looks so cool on tee-vee.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SCOjolhK_qI/AAAAAAAAP9s/ub5pDhVBQzE/capt.2242784a2b044e6c85b28c438b3362f7.rangers_peng uins_hockey_paks108.jpg

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 10:09 AM
So if the Rangers beat the Caps they will automatically face the Bruins. And the Pens will face the winner of New Jersey/Carolina

I can live with that

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Woot!

11:26 AM:
Penguins forward Petr Sykora informed the media after the Penguins' Thursday morning skate that he will not be in the team's lineup tonight in Game 5 against the Philadelphia Flyers.

"I"m not playing," he said. "I'm surprised. He told me right before practice that I'm not playing."

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=419731

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Woot!

Penguins forward Petr Sykora informed the media after the Penguins' Thursday morning skate that he will not be in the team's lineup tonight in Game 5 against the Philadelphia Flyers.

"I"m not playing," he said. "I'm surprised. He told me right before practice that I'm not playing."

Sykora out, Satan in

Letang is a game time decision....Boucher would replace him if he cant go

X-Terminator
04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Woot!

Well, it was just a matter of time. I love ya Petr, but you just aren't getting the job done right now. Time to see what Satan can do - I'm sure he's just been itching to get in a game.

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 12:10 PM
The biggest news from the morning skates are a pair of changes in the Penguins' lineup. Miro Satan will replace Petr Sykora at right wing on the Pens' second line, and Philippe Boucher comes in for Kris Letang on defense.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=418790

X-Terminator
04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Letang being out hurts, not just because of his scoring ability but his mobility. Boucher isn't nearly as mobile, and the Flyers may be able to exploit that.

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Letang being out hurts, not just because of his scoring ability but his mobility. Boucher isn't nearly as mobile, and the Flyers may be able to exploit that.

Im not too worried about Boucher. He is a veteran player and looked pretty good at the end of the season. He is also good on the power play

Edman
04-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Sykora is struggling, and Bylsma saw that point blank. Dude needs to sit.

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Im not too worried about Boucher. He is a veteran player and looked pretty good at the end of the season. He is also good on the power play

u mean the ONE game he played in the last month against the islanders

the only thing that is good coming out of boucher playing is that we dont lose a right handed shot for the Power Play.

like X said im a little woried that the Flyers might be able to exploit him not being as quick and mobile as Letang. Bylsma is gonna have to use the home ice to his advantage and match-up Boucher against slower of the flyers lines (if there really is one)

SteelersinCA
04-23-2009, 03:10 PM

I agree Letang has been making nice plays on the power play. I hope we seal this series tonight.

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 03:14 PM
u mean the ONE game he played in the last month against the islanders

the only thing that is good coming out of boucher playing is that we dont lose a right handed shot for the Power Play.

like X said im a little woried that the Flyers might be able to exploit him not being as quick and mobile as Letang. Bylsma is gonna have to use the home ice to his advantage and match-up Boucher against slower of the flyers lines (if there really is one)

Yes, the ONE game in which he did score a goal

I'd rather have a healthy Boucher than a banged up Letang who could injure himself further by playing tonight. The Stanley Cup playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint

and since when is Boucher immobile and slow? :noidea:

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Letang is in the doghouse.

Healthy scratch.

Letang hadn't played poorly, but after getting assists in the first two games of the series, he was scoreless and a minus-2 with nine penalty minutes in Games 3 and 4. It's the second straight season Letang will be a healthy scratch in the playoffs; he was benched for the final two games of last year's Stanley Cup Final.

"These are guys (Satan and Boucher) that we all believe can come in and play for us and do good things for us," Bylsma said. "The coach has to make those decisions. They're not easy ones, but I'm the guy who gets to make them."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=419761

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes, the ONE game in which he did score a goal

I'd rather have a healthy Boucher than a banged up Letang who could injure himself further by playing tonight. The Stanley Cup playoffs are a marathon, not a sprint

and since when is Boucher immobile and slow? :noidea:

i didnt say we should play Letang, im just worried about Boucher who has played ONE game in the last few months, even if he did score a goal. Goal scoring from a D-man isnt something i would put to much emphasis on.

Even if he is given the match-up against the third line, im worried about him being able to contain Giroux and Briere.

it dont matter who we play tonight though, Satan, Boucher, Sykora- i dont see this team playing like they did (well i expect fleury to play like he did) in game 4 again at home in front of the home fans.

Pittsburghfan
04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Wasn't Letang benched last year because his close friend Luc Bourdon passed away in that crash?

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Wasn't Letang benched last year because his close friend Luc Bourdon passed away in that crash?

kind of, he lost focus it seemed (completely understandable) after it happened and the coaching staff decided that he needed some time off to get his head straight.

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Speaking of Satan, if he wants to cash a NHL paycheck next year, I'd say this is his final audition.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 05:13 PM

I'm with you on that - I was impressed by Boucher's play late in the season and it never hurts to have another guy in the lineup who loves to HIT. :applaudit: I hope Letang gets back in the lineup soon - he is a very important piece of the overall puzzle. :hope:

Let's see what Miro can do tonight. I have a feeling he's going to be busting his ass out there on that ice.

Send the orange bastards packing tonight. :tt03:

LETS GO PENS!!!!! :drink:

P.S. I know I asked this before, but what is the extent of Letang's injury? I remember him going out of the game on Tuesday night and I could have sworn one of the announcers said something about a cheap shot. :noidea:

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm with you on that - I was impressed by Boucher's play late in the season and it never hurts to have another guy in the lineup who loves to HIT. :applaudit: I hope Letang gets back in the lineup soon - he is a very important piece of the overall puzzle. :hope:

Let's see what Miro can do tonight. I have a feeling he's going to be busting his ass out there on that ice.

P.S. I know I asked this before, but what is the extent of Letang's injury? I remember him going out of the game on Tuesday night and I could have sworn one of the announcers said something about a cheap shot. :noidea:

Killer posted i think a page ago that Letang was benched for his -2 rating and 9 PIM in games 3 and 4. I guess it could be a little of both, injury and his bad play.

X-Terminator
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM

He's being listed as a healthy scratch, but if he is injured, you'd be better off asking the Pentagon for top secret military info. I still haven't seen the replay of that game, so I don't know what his injury is or when it happened.

I still worry about Boucher, though - he may be physical, but he isn't as mobile as Letang is. The one positive is that he hasn't played much over the last 3 months, so he'll be fresh.

I will not be watching the game again tonight, so hopefully when I get home before the end of the 3rd period, they'll have the game well in hand. I DO NOT want to see a game 6.

SteelersinCA
04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
We'll close it out tonight, bye-bye Philly Thugs.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Killer posted i think a page ago that Letang was benched for his -2 rating and 9 PIM in games 3 and 4. I guess it could be a little of both, injury and his bad play.

Seems kind of drastic to me. :noidea: Oh well - I have to trust Bylsma on this one I suppose.

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Seems kind of drastic to me. :noidea: Oh well - I have to trust Bylsma on this one I suppose.

he hasnt been shy to bench Letang in the past, what was it 2 or 3 games Letang missed when Bylsma took over?

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Knock these punks out.

That is all.

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Knock these punks out.

That is all.

So Simple, yet so beatiful! :tt02:

Cant wait, want to knock them punks out of the playoffs so bad

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Ooooooo - the anticipation of this game is just KILLIN' me! :banana:

Just a few minutes til' that little black puck drops! I wonder if Godard will be in the lineup tonight - he should have been in since the series opener imho.

KeiselPower99
04-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Gametime

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Where's the offense? We need a goal.

RunWillieRun
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
PP time!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!

DO IT!!

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Power Play

let's get a goal here!

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Damn it - looks like Biron is on his game tonight.

We're going to get to him eventually if we keep bombarding him.

Edman
04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Biron's made a ton of great saves. But Kennedy missed a 1-0 lead.

The Penguins have once again, been the better team.

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
We are out playing the Cryers but need to get on the scoreboard. We cant let them hang around like this

Boucher looking good so far. Satan....nothing special

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Biron's made a ton of great saves. But Kennedy missed a 1-0 lead.

The Penguins have once again, been the better team.

Most definitely. The Flyers only had 5 SOG in the 1st to the Pens 15. The Pens have to keep someone perched in front of the net when they are in the offensive zone - preferably Guerin.

This game is going to be a battle all the way around. The Pens want to wrap this up and the Flyers are again in desperation mode.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Asham scored damn it.

Come on Pens. Act like it never happened and just look to get an equalizer.

RunWillieRun
04-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Did Scuds tip that shot?

Get it back, fellas

Edman
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
The Flyers could steal this game. It was obvious after the first intermission.

Now Philthy has momentum. Get in gear Penguins.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Come on Penguins. Forget the Refs and get the goal back.

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
good 1st period

really bad 2nd period :mad:

section514
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
FSN is out all over the area, comcast, verizon and the dish

go here to watch online

http://atdhe.net/5638/watch-philadelphia-flyers-at-pittsburgh-penguins

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Damn it - FSN has been experiencing technical difficulties for almost the entire 2nd period. I'm listening to the game on NHL.com. :banging:

We're very much in this game and our best period is coming up. I think we're going to see a very energized 3rd from our guys.

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

section514
04-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Damn it - FSN has been experiencing technical difficulties for almost the entire 2nd period. I'm listening to the game on NHL.com. :banging:

We're very much in this game and our best period is coming up. I think we're going to see a very energized 3rd from our guys.

FSN is out all over the area, comcast, verizon and the dish

go here to watch online

http://atdhe.net/5638/watch-philadel...burgh-penguins

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks hon. They're back up and running now, thank God. I love Mike Lange, but it just isn't the same listening to it vis-a-vis watching it on the tube.

LETS GO PENS!!!! :tt03: :hope:

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:01 PM
G-DAMN IT!!!

The Flyers are bringing it. C'mon Pens - I'm not counting you out. Time to answer!

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 08:01 PM
horrible start to the 3rd

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
This Defense makes me want to puke.

Come on guys, get your heads out of your butts. You can still come back.

RunWillieRun
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Way to suck

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
G-DAMN IT!!!

The Flyers are bringing it. C'mon Pens - I'm not counting you out. Time to answer!

Yep, but this can quickly be 3-2 Penguins in a heartbeat.

We're in the playoffs after all.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Biron is playing out of his mind.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:05 PM
horrible start to the 3rd

Well - other than Giroux's goal, the Pens are taking their shots and Biron is like a stone wall tonight. We have to find a way to penetrate it and get one in behind him ASAP. Flyers play man on man as good as I've seen. They don't give you much room around the net.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
No matter which sport you're playing, a desperate team is a dangerous team. I hate the Flyers with an ugly orange passion, but they brought their A game tonight thus far.

Though I like Boucher, I think it was a huge mistake to bench Letang.

RunWillieRun
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
No matter which sport you're playing, a desperate team is a dangerous team. I hate the Flyers with an ugly orange passion, but they brought their A game tonight thus far.

...and the Pens brought their "D" game.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Well - other than Giroux's goal, the Pens are taking their shots and Biron is like a stone wall tonight. We have to find a way to penetrate it and get one in behind him ASAP. Flyers play man on man as good as I've seen. They don't give you much room around the net.

I'm looking for one of these to be taken to said wall.

http://hommeless.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/749px-wrecking_ball3.jpg

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:09 PM

The Penguins did that in game 5 and 6 last year in the SC Finals to.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm a bit miffed at the fans in attendance tonight. It's way too quiet in that arena. :mad: C

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm a bit miffed at the fans in attendance tonight. It's way too quiet in that arena. :mad: C

Yeah. That happens when you don't get too much good at ice level.

Hopefully they'll find something to get the fans fired up.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:16 PM
...and the Pens brought their "D" game.

That's a bit unfair, considering how well Biron has played in the Flyers net tonight. It's not like they haven't had umpteen scoring chances that have been nuked by Biron.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah. That happens when you don't get too much good at ice level.

Hopefully they'll find something to get the fans fired up.

When XT and I are at the games, we cheer them on loudly from start to finish. Don't these people realize that they play a huge role in energizing their team? :doh:

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
the effort from the Pens tonight is pathetic

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:18 PM
When XT and I are at the games, we cheer them on loudly from start to finish. Don't these people realize that they play a huge role in energizing their team? :doh:

:iagree: It's the case at any level. High School, College, or Pro. Players will feed off of the energy the fans produce.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Looks like Renegade got them going a little bit.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Fleury is breaking down. Not Good.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:21 PM
the effort from the Pens tonight is pathetic

Oh for God's sake - will you give it a rest???? They've had 26 SOG against a goaltender who is playing out of his mind tonight. It's not like they've stunk out the joint tonight. :banging:

3-0 Flyers. As I said, a desperate team is a very dangerous team. Looks like we're headed back to Philly. I'm behind them 100% and I still believe they're going to win this series.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh for God's sake - will you give it a rest???? They've had 26 SOG against a goaltender who is playing out of his mind tonight. It's not like they've stunk out the joint tonight. :banging:

3-0 Flyers. As I said, a desperate team is a very dangerous team. Looks like we're headed back to Philly. I'm behind them 100% and I still believe they're going to win this series.

I had a feeling a 5 or 6 game series was possible.

Edman
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
A disapponting showing by the Penguins tonight.

Now they're headed back to Wachovia and facing a regenerated Flyers fanbase. We better not see a Game 3 repeat.

RunWillieRun
04-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Just an embarrassing performance tonight. Fans deserve their money back cause the Pens didn't show up.

I want to punch puppies after that pathetic display.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:29 PM
A disapponting showing by the Penguins tonight.

Now they're headed back to Wachovia and facing a regenerated Flyers fanbase. We better not see a Game 3 repeat.

I'll take a repeat of game 4 anyday as long as the Penguins have 4 wins at the end of this series.

Steel Head
04-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Fleury is breaking down. Not Good.

Fleury's play is the least of our concerns

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Fans deserve their money back cause the Pens didn't show up.

Those fans don't DESERVE anything after they sat on their hands all night, even when there was no score. They should be ashamed of themselves. Most likely half of them didn't even know Pittsburgh had a hockey team 4 years ago.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Those fans don't DESERVE anything after they sat on their hands all night, even when there was no score. They should be ashamed of themselves. Most likely half of them didn't even know Pittsburgh had a hockey team 4 years ago.

There is a good chance that is the case. Not too many of them I'm guessing decided to watch the rebuilding process to see what was to come in the future to when they got good again.

The same case can be said for the Pirates one day(IF it comes).

J Dogg
04-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Pittsburgh is a pro town. Emotions come and go. The only team that's been a consistent big draw is the Steelers, and you'll still see empty yellow seats at heinz every now and again. Pro towns love you when you're winning and find something better to do when you're losing. They are, by their very nature, bandwagon towns.

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
There is a good chance that is the case. Not too many of them I'm guessing decided to watch the rebuilding process to see what was to come in the future to when they got good again.

The same case can be said for the Pirates one day(IF it comes).

Yep - they hopped on that Penguins bandwagon. XT and I sat in that arena long before the Pens started rebuilding and the arena was only half full. Back then, you couldn't give a Pens ticket away. I can't stomach bandwagon fans. :mad:

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Pittsburgh is a pro town. Emotions come and go. The only team that's been a consistent big draw is the Steelers, and you'll still see empty yellow seats at heinz every now and again. Pro towns love you when you're winning and find something better to do when you're losing. They are, by their very nature, bandwagon towns.

I've lived in the Burgh almost my entire life and I've seen first-hand how bandwagonish and FWF'ish a lot of Pittsburgh people are. I was taught at a very young age that if you are going to support your team, you support them through thick and thin. It's the only way I know. :drink:

Before the Pens started on their winning streak towards the end of the season, quite frankly, I had no expectations of them making the playoffs - I didn't think it was going to happen for them this season and I was OK with that because I knew deep down that the tag team of Mario and Shero would find the missing pieces to the puzzle and get the Pens back on track again next season. It is very difficult for most teams in this day and age(other than the Wings who just have talent galore) to repeat a Stanley Cup final appearance because of the short offseason they have, but I'm not counting the Pens out of this series or of making a serious run for the Cup. They've got to come out firing on Saturday afternoon and Fleury is going to need to stand on his head once again in the net.

The only thing that I am disappointed in is that the Pens aren't hitting as much the last 2 games as they did in the first 2. They've got to reincorporate that physicality into their game plan and stick with it.

X-Terminator
04-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Well folks, looks like the Flyers came to play and forced game 6. Didn't want it to happen, but it is what it is. I would love nothing more than the Pens eliminating the Flyers in their building.

J Dogg
04-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I've lived in the Burgh almost my entire life and I've seen first-hand how bandwagonish and FWF'ish a lot of Pittsburgh people are. I was taught at a very young age that if you are going to support your team, you support them through thick and thin. It's the only way I know. :drink:

I'm a Western Pa native as well, but I left not long after I turned 22. Being away helped me understand the fickle and sometimes cynical nature of people from back home. I still see it in my family who are in the area.

The 'Burgh is what it is. It's a rock. It might change it's looks over time, but it's still fundamentally the same place. When I'm free to move back closer to family, I'll probably choose somewhere in Ohio. Close enough to come if needed, but far enough away to stay away from the crap.

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I want to punch puppies after that pathetic display.

Send Satan back down. Our "stars" didn't get any help.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Yep - they hopped on that Penguins bandwagon. XT and I sat in that arena long before the Pens started rebuilding and the arena was only half full. Back then, you couldn't give a Pens ticket away. I can't stomach bandwagon fans. :mad:

I still went to a game a year during those days. Now it's about impossible. If I can't get to one during this year's playoffs, Hopefully I can get to one next year since it's the end of Mellon Arena's time next year.

X-Terminator
04-23-2009, 09:44 PM
It is a disturbing trend that the Pens have been outplayed for 3 and a half games now. They were lucky to win game 2 and Fleury stole game 4. They were thoroughly outplayed in both games in Philly. Game 1 has been their best game by far, and they need to duplicate that if they want to turn out the lights on the Flyers on Saturday.

SteelCityMan786
04-23-2009, 09:50 PM
It is a disturbing trend that the Pens have been outplayed for 3 and a half games now. They were lucky to win game 2 and Fleury stole game 4. They were thoroughly outplayed in both games in Philly. Game 1 has been their best game by far, and they need to duplicate that if they want to turn out the lights on the Flyers on Saturday.

It sure is. Pretty much, if they play like they did in game 1, the series is over. The last couple of games they look like they just shit the bed.

Oh well, can't do anything about tonight. Time for game 6.

pittsburghp8baller
04-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Send Satan back down. Our "stars" didn't get any help.

Why single Satan out? did u really think that just throwing Satan out there would solve everything? didnt you watch earlier in the season where Satan was the WORSE player out there? Satan was a -7 this season against the Flyers alone. Sid and Geno got NO help from ANYONE tonight. They played about as well as you could playing by yourself.

This is not the team that we saw the last few months and in game 1, i still think throwing Eric Godard out there might not be a bad idea. At this point i think its worth a shot, especially going bak to philly.

Something has got to wake this team up. Make them watch game 1 100 times tommorrow. Or throw out monetary bonuses for every hit and point you get

OneForTheToe
04-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm a Western Pa native as well, but I left not long after I turned 22. Being away helped me understand the fickle and sometimes cynical nature of people from back home. I still see it in my family who are in the area.

The 'Burgh is what it is. It's a rock. It might change it's looks over time, but it's still fundamentally the same place. When I'm free to move back closer to family, I'll probably choose somewhere in Ohio. Close enough to come if needed, but far enough away to stay away from the crap.

Yea they don't have any crap in OHIO.:wink02:

All teams have fans like that. It is a fundamental part of fandom these days. You can't do anything about it but continue to cheer for your team and roll your eyes at some of the more ridiculous .... . The alternative is to have Marlins'/Rays' type fans, where few come to the games at all, even when the team is winning. At least Pittsburgh Fan's support their teams with their wallets (even the Pirates all things considered).

SteelMember
04-24-2009, 07:11 AM

I didn't think it would take much to get the crowd going, and with a shutout, not much is what they got. Still, that's no excuse to sit on your hands for 2/3's of the game. You gotta do whatever you can to get some energy to the ice. Seems like too many of those fans spent a lot of time and money enjoying the consessions and their free t-shirts...until they decided to start booing on that late PP. Pitiful. :pity:

The only thing that I am disappointed in is that the Pens aren't hitting as much the last 2 games as they did in the first 2. They've got to reincorporate that physicality into their game plan and stick with it.

There were some decent hits, but like you said not enough. 1st period looked like they were controlling the puck and holding the zone pretty good, but frustration on a few chances stoned by Biron seemed to really take its toll. Malkin and Crosby were good, but it's gonna take more than those two.

Hopefully they get re-focused and get some bounces on Saturday.

Let's Go Pens!

FINISH! :tt03:

stlrtruck
04-24-2009, 07:34 AM
In the third, they all looked flat, tired, and whipped. The flyers took it to them, making crisp passes, going after the puck and crashing the net.

It seems like anytime the Pens had the puck, they wanted to make pass after pass after pass without taking a shot. The only way to get rebounds is to put a blast on net, crash hard, and put the rebounds in.

trauben
04-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Okay .......................... so we close the series in front of their fans on their ice. :thmbup:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
04-24-2009, 02:32 PM
If the Flyers are giving us this much trouble, I am scared to see what a real team will do to us....

SteelersinCA
04-24-2009, 06:11 PM
I can't watch our PP anymore, it's beyond anemic.

OneForTheToe
04-24-2009, 06:26 PM

We definately need some power.

Lets go Pens:

Although, I could do with a different color.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/314291949_29fa3cdb94.jpg?v=0

There we go.

This is better.http://farm1.static.flickr.com/48/131148279_82a3fe6ad4.jpg?v=0

X-Terminator
04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
If the Flyers are giving us this much trouble, I am scared to see what a real team will do to us....

Geez, this isn't the Tampa Bay Lightning the Pens are playing - the Flyers have a pretty good team and plenty of talent. They have Danny Briere, who would be a top-line forward on any other team, including the Pens, playing on their 3rd line. That's all you need to know how good a team they are. I hate them with a blinding passion, but I give credit where credit is due.

1 PPG in the last 3 games. Not nearly good enough for all the talent they can roll out there. Granted, the Flyers' PK is pretty good, but they should still be able to produce at a better rate than that.

Fire Haley
04-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Another series tightening up.

Caps are up 2-0 on the Rangers - Rags look as lost as the Pens did.

they bench Avery and they fall apart? too funny

X-Terminator
04-24-2009, 07:49 PM

I hate that idiot and wouldn't want him anywhere near the Pens, but for some reason, he sparks the Rangers. Torts, however, doesn't give a shit about that - he is all about discipline and playing smart hockey, two things that Avery could care less about. Those two will never be able to co-exist on the same team - Torts ripped him when he was working for TSN, in fact. But the Rangers won't get rid of Avery, because they win with him in the lineup, and Torts had to know the Rangers were trying to bring him back when he took the job.

SteelCityMan786
04-24-2009, 07:59 PM

It's 4-0 now.

Someone pissed off the Caps.

X-Terminator
04-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Looks like both Sykora and Satan will be out tomorrow, and Eric Godard will finally be inserted into the lineup. Obviously he wanted a little more sandpaper and the extra toughness that Godard brings. You're only 3 games too late, Dan!

Max Talbot will be moved up to the 2nd line with Malkin and Tank and Kris Letang will be back in the lineup as well.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_622182.html?source=rss&feed=8

HometownGal
04-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Geez, this isn't the Tampa Bay Lightning the Pens are playing - the Flyers have a pretty good team and plenty of talent. They have Danny Briere, who would be a top-line forward on any other team, including the Pens, playing on their 3rd line. That's all you need to know how good a team they are. I hate them with a blinding passion, but I give credit where credit is due.

I agree 100%. :applaudit: The Flyers are no scrub team - they have some really good players and Biron has stood on his head the last 2 games. They also play the man to man as good as I've seen it. They don't give the Pens much time to pass before they're swooping on in and they also don't allow much traffic around Biron.

Granted, the Flyers' PK is pretty good, but they should still be able to produce at a better rate than that.

As I said above, the Flyers really don't give the Pens much time to set up, pass or get in front of the net, whether it is the PP or even strength. They are like freakin' gnats. Time for the Pens to swat 'em and that time is tomorrow afternoon in their own house in front of their ignorant bird-flippin' fans. :upyours:

pittsburghp8baller
04-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Looks like both Sykora and Satan will be out tomorrow, and Eric Godard will finally be inserted into the lineup. Obviously he wanted a little more sandpaper and the extra toughness that Godard brings. You're only 3 games too late, Dan!

Max Talbot will be moved up to the 2nd line with Malkin and Tank and Kris Letang will be back in the lineup as well.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_622182.html?source=rss&feed=8

i saw that earlier, i was gonna post it but i got distracted with the Cooking with Geno segment from The Penguins Show. It was from a while back but it cracked me up as much this time as the first time i watched it.

Its about time they put Godard in. A little weird sitting Sykora and Satan, even if they both are struggling but hey we need a spark and maybe Talbot on the top two lines will be that spark.

I hate afternoon games, hopefully our streak of playing bad in these games snap today

Fire Haley
04-25-2009, 12:49 PM
“It’s playoff hockey and there are going to be changes of momentum,” Crosby said. “It comes down to execution. If we put two goals in during the first period (Thursday) night, we’re not talking about this problem. The game comes down to execution and both teams are going to get their chances and it’s a matter of putting them in.”

I'm glad Sid is feeling confident - me - not so much.

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 02:49 PM
UN MOTHA FUGGING BUH LEEVABLE

WE play great all perid then dummy Talbot w a horrible turnover

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 02:49 PM
1-0 on a VERY preventable goal.

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 02:50 PM
PLEASE MAKE A *ING EFFORT DAMN IT!

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
This team has played like they don't want to be in the building.

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
time to put Crosby and Malkin on the same line

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:01 PM
time to put Crosby and Malkin on the same line

Have to find something that shuts up the Flyers and FINALLY puts them away.

LETS GO PENS! LETS GO PENS! LETS GO PENS!

Fire Haley
04-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Playing just good enough isn't enough.

0-2

Pens are sleep-walking. They look finished.

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Playing just good enough isn't enough.

0-2

Pens are sleep-walking. They look finished.

They need some domino's pizza in the locker room again.

Edman
04-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Outhustled. Outplayed. Outmatched.

The Flyers have heart, the Penguins lost theirs.

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Here's to a great second period.

LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!
LETS GO PENS!

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
DO THEY WANT TO WIN TODAY?!?!?!?!?!?

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:22 PM
NICE WORK GENO!!!!!!!!

Way to keep on fighting guys. 1 goal down. Keep on challenging your teammates to do better. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

As the old saying of Mr. James Valvano goes

DON'T GIVE UP DON'T EVER GIVE UP!

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 03:24 PM
HOW DONT WE GET A POWER PLAY THERE?

JERKOFF FLYERS START JACKING PEOPLE UP AFTER WE SCORE

BULL SHYTE

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:27 PM
NICE JOB EATON!!!!!!!!

Come on guys, remember what James Valvano once said.

"DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!!

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 03:32 PM
WE CANT BUY A GODDAM PP GOAL

CMON GUYS

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 03:33 PM
and yet another opportunity

cmon Gonchar get one here

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Lets go guys, let's score on the PP!!!

DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T EVER GIVE UP!

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 03:49 PM
NICE JOB CROSBY!!!!

REMEMBER GUYS!

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
this game is making me a nervous wreck

We have been on fire since that Talbot fight.....almost got the go ahead goal there at the end

LETS FINISH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 04:13 PM
I FREAKIN KNEW GONCHAR WAS DUE FOR A BIG GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINISH THESE CRYER PUNKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 04:14 PM
NICE JOB GONCHAR!!!

Come on guys, you fought this hard to get the lead. LET'S TAKE IT AND RUN!!!!!

Steel Head
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
FLEURY WITH ANOTHER AMAZING SAVE

St33lersguy
04-25-2009, 05:04 PM
So long Flyers, so long losers

Edman
04-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Pesky Flyers finally killed. Bad First period, but picked it up in the clutch.

SteelCity786. Props to you for keeping up the spirit.

Penguins move on!

Fire Haley
04-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Yea verily - for I have sinned for doubting you even in the slightest. I avert my eyes.

Forgive me Lord Fleury.

You are the man. That last 8 minutes was the most intense hockey I've seen all year..

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Pesky Flyers finally killed. Bad First period, but picked it up in the clutch.

SteelCity786. Props to you for keeping up the spirit.

Penguins move on!

*Takes a bow*

Where are the Doubting Dons? :chuckle:

Fire Haley
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Drink up

http://www.portlandopenbeerclub.com/beer.jpg

HometownGal
04-25-2009, 07:56 PM
*Takes a bow*

Where are the Doubting Dons? :chuckle:

They won't show up again until the Pens are behind in a game to B & M. We have a few of those around here in the Steelers Game Day threads. Freakin' makes me want to :puke:

I listened to the game while working today and got to watch the 3rd period - it was so intense!!! As I've always said around here - don't EVER give up on these guys and if you're inclined to do so, turn in your Pens jersey at the forum door. The Pens don't need pretender fans.

The Pens woke up in the 3rd and played as they are extremely capable of playing. Their puck control was awesome and they were hitting and checking all over the ice. Fleury was just amazing (again) and my Sergei came through big today!!! :applaudit::hatsoff:

Who would you guys prefer as a second opponent? I think out of the teams remaining in contention, I'd like to play the Devs - Brodeur is a future HOF'er, but the Pens seem to have his number as of late and he'll be ripe for the pickin'! :banana:

SteelCityMan786
04-25-2009, 08:10 PM
They won't show up again until the Pens are behind in a game to B & M. We have a few of those around here in the Steelers Game Day threads. Freakin' makes me want to :puke:

I listened to the game while working today and got to watch the 3rd period - it was so intense!!! As I've always said around here - don't EVER give up on these guys and if you're inclined to do so, turn in your Pens jersey at the forum door. The Pens don't need pretender fans.

The Pens woke up in the 3rd and played as they are extremely capable of playing. Their puck control was awesome and they were hitting and checking all over the ice. Fleury was just amazing (again) and my Sergei came through big today!!! :applaudit::hatsoff:

Who would you guys prefer as a second opponent? I think out of the teams remaining in contention, I'd like to play the Devs - Brodeur is a future HOF'er, but the Pens seem to have his number as of late and he'll be ripe for the pickin'! :banana:

Haha you're probably right about that. We've seen them all, and somehow they get scared away.

I liked the fact the Penguins used the Fight as a spring board. 5 goals unanswered. Probably the most unprecedented comeback I have ever seen.

I personally don't care who the Penguins play. At the end of the day whatever team is given to them, they have to play anyway. I would like to see them get a swing a Marty and the Devils. But a match up with Ovie would be nice to.

Either way, whoever they play, they'll have to do it for 60 minutes.

WHATEVER IT TAKES, THEY WALK TOGETHER.

HometownGal
04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
But a match up with Ovie would be nice to.

Either way, whoever they play, they'll have to do it for 60 minutes.

WHATEVER IT TAKES, THEY WALK TOGETHER.

I'd prefer not to play the Caps and AO. He's been in a bit of a slump lately and I don't want him breaking out against the Pens. I also don't want to have a slipper-a-thon with my TV when he starts his showboating and runs his mouth.

You're absolutely right - Whatever It Takes They Walk Together and we as fans are walking right with 'em! :drink::tt03:

X-Terminator
04-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I have been gone all day long - I just got back home about a half hour ago. But I did manage to catch the last 5 minutes of the game from a bar in Harrisburg and saw Crosby clinch it with the empty netter. And after reading this thread...wow. What an amazing comeback by the Pens to finally send the Flyers to the golf course, and on their home ice. Even better that Crosby was the one who put the final nail in their coffin. :tt02:

For the final time this season, and I hope that this is excused...

http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2009/04/fleurybrionshake.jpg

PHUCK FILLY.

See ya next year, assbags!

SteelersinCA
04-25-2009, 11:30 PM
I blame Letang for our win!:flap:

OneForTheToe
04-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Naturally this wuld be the only game of this series I couldn't watch in its entirety. Oh, I saw the frst period, and then had to go to the club for the drunken pool banquet. As the Pens were tossing the Flyers I was was tossing drunks. So, glad not to see a game seven. I'd still rather play Jersey.

stlrtruck
04-26-2009, 07:29 AM
My flyers fan brother called me after it was over to say congratulations and told me that the gamed turned around on that fight. After that, the flyers just got overwhelmed by the Pens.

I never knew losing a fight could help change the mentality.

X-Terminator
04-26-2009, 12:22 PM
My flyers fan brother called me after it was over to say congratulations and told me that the gamed turned around on that fight. After that, the flyers just got overwhelmed by the Pens.

I never knew losing a fight could help change the mentality.

It's not that he lost the fight, Talbot went out, challenged and fought a much more experienced fighter in Daniel Carcillo in order to change momentum, and because he felt responsible for one of the Flyers' goals. Teammates always appreciate it when a guy does that, and it can give them a big lift even if he loses.

HometownGal
04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
The only Flyer that I have any degree of respect for is Biron. The guy gave his all and made some spectacular saves throughout the series. He's most likely getting the blame from the asstard Flyers fans, which is totally unjustified, imho.

SteelCityMan786
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
The only Flyer that I have any degree of respect for is Biron. The guy gave his all and made some spectacular saves throughout the series. He's most likely getting the blame from the asstard Flyers fans, which is totally unjustified, imho.

Yep, if I were him(especially since I heard his contract is now up) I'd get out of Philly and go to a town he'd be appreciated in. He's a far better goalie then Antero Nittymaki(their back up despite he has been fairing better as of late).

I have also seen Philly fans blame the refs for their failure. I guess they never heard these words.

"The men in striped shirts don't win games, only those who wear the team jerseys do."

Rek
04-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Props to SOME of the Flyers and their fans for making the series interesting and not a low-out. To the rest of them, Phuck Off, maybe next yr u'll finally beat the Pens.

X-Terminator
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM

He's taking quite a bit of heat even though the man is responsible for getting them to game 6 in the first place. He is also a UFA on July 1, and if I were him, I'd leave. He's too good for that piece of crap franchise and fans. Carcillo is also taking some heat for fighting with his team up 3-0 and sparking the Pens' comeback, which I really don't agree with either. Sure he shouldn't have done it, but that loss was a collective shitting of the bed by the whole team, who thought the game was over. Mike Richards and especially Jeff Carter are also taking a bit of criticism for not putting up enough points. Richards had 6 points in the series, but Carter scored just 1 goal and was a non-factor most of the series. Surprisingly, the Flyers fans I've encountered aren't blaming the refs - I thought for sure that they would. Because after all, if the Pens get one more PP than the opposition, it must be a conspiracy. :coffee: