PDA

View Full Version : "Comebacker" of 2009 for Steelers?

steelerdave1969
04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
There is a few options in this category in my opinion. I guess what I am asking is, Is who do you think makes the biggest impact on our Steelers '09 season?

Choices are like this..

RB Rashard Mendenhall
P Daniel Sepulveda
WR Limas Sweed
RB Willie Parker
LB Lawrence Timmons ( should have definitely been on my list)

I know that there are more choices out there, but these are the ones I can think of right off the bat.

StainlessStill
04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Timmons and Mendy.

steelerdave1969
04-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I think this could be a hard decision in my thinking. I think that Sepulveda is gonna make a big difference in our special teams as he is a much more accurate punter than what the Steelers had to deal with last season with Berger taking his place after his injury. But I also think that Mendenhall gets more opportunities this season and it will help our running game in alot of ways as he is also a better reciever than Parker. Willie Parker was injured quiet a bit last season, and I think if he wants to remain a Steeler he must come out and have a monster season in '09. Limas Sweed has an opportunity to take over that no.3 WR spot and keep the Steelers from having to draft someone early in '10. He has the size and speed, now lets see if he can put his rookie season behind him and move on to the next level to replace Hines Ward soon..
LB Lawrence Timmons should have been on my list of choices for sure. He has the opportunity to take the job away from Larry Foote, but I think he did last season as well. I look for this to be a nice battle in '09.

Crushzilla
04-15-2009, 05:40 PM
A lot of those guy's have done nothing to "comeback" to? :huh:

steelerdave1969
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Rashard Mendenhall and Daniel Sepulveda are both coming back from injuries that ended their seasons, and Willie Parker was pretty much hurt half the '08 season. I think that Limas Sweed is coming off his worst season as a player in quiet a while, so yeh I think he will be coming back from something...

Crushzilla
04-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Rashard Mendenhall and Daniel Sepulveda are both coming back from injuries that ended their seasons, and Willie Parker was pretty much hurt half the '08 season. I think that Limas Sweed is coming off his worst season as a player in quiet a while, so yeh I think he will be coming back from something...

I'm going to go with Willie, in that case.

He's going to have to make it happen this year if he wants to hold on to that starter spot.

StainlessStill
04-15-2009, 05:50 PM

A rookie? The kid never was giving the opportunity to prove himself throughout a lengthy period of time. His playing time came in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME and even though he had a huge drop, he came back to shake it off with a crushing block, a key breakup in the endzone and a HUGE 3rd down catch to keep a Steelers possession moving. I don't think you could say he's coming off a bad season when his time was limited to a certain number of snaps in the first place. Good things are in store for Limas Sweed, and he does indeed get his shot this year.

Vincent
04-15-2009, 06:14 PM
The only "comeback" scenario is FWP and as a "comeback" scenario, its iffy. He didn't fall off the earth and "come back".

But if those four step up and play to their capabilities (like, oh I don't know, but a young man named Harrison comes to mind), its ring #7.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
By comeback..I think you can include Sweed.

With the way that he ended the season...and after the high expectations alot of fans had for him...I think he is in the perfect situation to impress.

StainlessStill
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
When dealing with 'comeback player' for the Steelers, then it clearly has to be Willie givin' the season he has had that dealt with health and injury, and there's a no brainer to that.

But as I stated in my post above, when it comes to certain players who will help the team overall both offensively AND defensively, I feel it'll be Timmons and Mendenhall.

stillers4me
04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Ben, 'coz.... you know... he sucks. :cya:

tony hipchest
04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
good poll. i say sweed cause he has the most to prove. nate had some HUGE plays last season. sweed must fill those shoes.

"on the" mende and sepulveda will be adding huge impact players.

i like to look at this years draft clas as including sweed, mendenhall, sepulveda, and timmons all coming off their "red shirt" year.

= danger!

The Duke
04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
I want to say....the OLine

It's been a while since they've been consistently good, so that'd be a HUGE comeback

KeiselPower99
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I voted for FWP. He might not gain 1000 yards next year but having a bruiser like Mendenhall to spell with will make him fresher and a fresh Willie is twice as fast!

Edman
04-15-2009, 09:20 PM
The whole offense really. They weren't exactly stellar in the 2008 season. Thank goodness they came to life when it mattered the most.

I expect a more than improved offense in 2009.

HometownGal
04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I voted for Sweeeeeeeed, as I think this young man is going to step up and prove his worth this season.

However - as football is a team sport, one player alone having a superb season isn't going to win them another championship. I believe all of the others mentioned above, along with a healthy Ben, an OL who are all on the same page all of the time and our D playing with the same grit and intensity as they did this past season, will set us up nicely for another SB run and trophy.

It sure will be great having Danny back! :banana:

steelwall
04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Definition of comeback aside...It's a tough choice really. I have to go with Mendy though. A large part of our offense not doing better than it did do last year, was our constant inability to convert on short yards. I think some games we would have ran away with had we been able to convert on those 3 and goals and 3rd and 1 or 2.

IMO Mendy could be that guy...If thats the case then Parker could have a better year as well. Parker hits the outside usually its either someone sniffs it out and catches him around the line of scrimage or it's an automatic 6 yards,but I just don't think he has the size to bull his way up the middle, or the mentality to wan't to. I believe FWP is just that, a fast guy who will burn you (ask the seahawks) and he thrives off that, but up the gut....not so well.

Thats an area of our game that if we can get any improvement in then I think as good as our offense is now, we won't have to be pacing the floors buy then end of the forth qaurter...in all the nail biters.

stlrtruck
04-16-2009, 07:10 AM
I got Mendenhall on this one. I see him running over stab-it ray on his way to a 1,000 yards and a few touchdowns (although his stats won't equal Parker - people will fear the two headed monster.

Steel Head
04-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Mendenhall is the easy choice

Timmons does not belong on this poll, he played great last year and did not miss any games

Galax Steeler
04-16-2009, 07:20 AM
I have to say Mendenhall.I believe he has something to prove this year.

I also see Sweed having a good year as well.

Steel Head
04-16-2009, 09:55 AM
We are all hoping Sweed is the Most Improved player of the year.....not comeback

steelreserve
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
If by "comeback," you mean "get traded for draft picks" then I hope it's Parker.

Otherwise, I guess I'd pick Mendenhall, although it's hard to "come back" if you're a rookie who didn't get to play very much, like him or Sweed.

MONTANA GRIZ
04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Im going with Mendy, a lot of hype comes with being a first round pick, and Im sure he can't wait to get out there and prove he was deserving of the pick.

I also personally have some questions about his toughness as I'm sure others do as well, and Im sure he is excited to prove all the haters wrong.. So, Rashard prove me wrong, please!!

Steeldude
04-17-2009, 09:26 AM
between parker and sepulveda.

timmons, mendenhall and sweed do not deserve to be on the list.

timmons was 2nd string.

sweed rarely played.

mendenhall hasn't done anything. you could say he returned from an injury, but we have no idea what he could do before the injury.

Steeldude
04-17-2009, 09:28 AM

agreed

Steeldude
04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I have to go with Mendy though. A large part of our offense not doing better than it did do last year, was our constant inability to convert on short yards

mendenhall wouldn't have done any better. the O-line was to blame for the short yardage problems.

no blocking = no holes = no yards

The_WARDen
04-17-2009, 10:00 AM
This poll doesn't even make sense. Sweed & Mendenhall have no frame of reference to even say they "came back". Came back to what exactly?

:noidea:

chucoblack&gold
04-17-2009, 11:34 PM
IMO Sweed will eventually make Nate's memories oblivious..

I'm still have my reservations with Mendy, unfortunately I can only remember his fumbles during his short playing time.

hopefully at the same time next year we can be talking about how these players got us ring #7 :thumbsup:

steelerdave1969
04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
This poll doesn't even make sense. Sweed & Mendenhall have no frame of reference to even say they "came back". Came back to what exactly?

:noidea:
You could have ignored the poll.. I would have understood.

I know that Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed have done very little in their 1 year or less career in the NFL. I think that our offensive line will be a little better this upcoming season, and I hope that they can land a stud lineman early on though, especially at G and T.

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-19-2009, 05:33 AM

I think you can make the argument for most of them. I agree Timmons didn't do anything disappointing or really leave us lacking. When I think comeback I tend to picture an announcer saying "He struggled last year with BLANK" or "Last year he suffered an injury and there were questions about this year" etc. I think that can be said with Sweed, Mendenhall, Sepulveda, or Parker.

Sweed and Mendenhall are the obvious ones, and I'm sure announcers will love to talk about how far Sweed has come from losing concentration during the AFCC game, but I'll have to go with Mendenhall as the one to have the most impact. I think that, even if Sweed excels at #3, it's hard to have your third receiver be more impactful than the first potential bruiser since Bettis.

Having Sepulveda back their answering questions again on 4th down will be nice though.

Carolina Steelers
04-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I believe Parker will have a great year injurys set him back last year plus he knows the Mendenhall is healthy this year and waiting in the wings if he dosent produce yearly he could be out of Pittsburgh

Indo
04-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I think both Mendy and Sweeeeed will have break-out seasons...

But I'm seriously excited about watching Harrison "come back" and wreak havoc on the league!