PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Makes Sunday Ticket Less Appealing for Steelers Fans

mesaSteeler
04-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Schedule Makes Sunday Ticket Less Appealing for Steelers Fans
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/15/schedule-makes-sunday-ticket-less-appealing-for-steelers-fans/
Posted Apr 15, 2009 8:06AM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

If you're a Steelers fan who doesn't live around Pittsburgh, the release of the 2009 schedule brought a lot of good news. But it does make the decision of whether or not to buy DirecTV's Sunday Ticket a whole lot more difficult.

Let me preface by saying that Sunday Ticket is simply the best thing ever invented for football fans -- the chance to watch every game of the 2009 season is the only way to watch the NFL -- if you can afford it.

But that's where things are starting to get tricky. Every time the NFL and DirecTV work out a new contract, the price of Sunday Ticket goes up again. This year it's going to be $300, although you can cut that a little bit by ordering early. Oh, and if you have an HDTV, SuperFan has usually run an extra $100.

So that's up to $400 for Sunday Ticket. If you're a Steelers fan, $400 for 16 games ($25 per game) seems to still be a lot cheaper than going to the stadium, even in this economy.

But the Steelers have five prime-time games which are available everywhere -- Sunday Ticket doesn't matter for those games. And two of the Steelers games are set for 4:15 PM ET starts that will likely be available almost everywhere around the country. And last year, the flex schedule and the Steelers national appeal meant that if you don't live in an AFC market, you could count on getting another three to five games on in your market.

So now we're talking $400 for four to six games ($75-100 per game). All of a sudden, a couple of trips to the sports bar start to sound pretty good, don't they?

Fire Haley
04-15-2009, 11:23 PM
That makes sense if you ONLY watch Steelers games and don't enjoy watching other games.

Anybody that has to watch local TV schedule crap when good games are being missed knows what I mean.

steelwall
04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Try living in China I have to stay up lateor go to sleep early planning my whole sceduale around a game. so lets say 4:30pm est it's 4:30am here. Then I have to rely on shotty internet feeds that allways seem to freeze at the wrong times..... but could be worse, at least I'm not a bungles fan doing all this for nothing........

tony hipchest
04-15-2009, 11:49 PM
That makes sense if you ONLY watch Steelers games and don't enjoy watching other games.

Anybody that has to watch local TV schedule crap when good games are being missed knows what I mean.good point. i can easilly say ive watched well over 100 cowboys games (probably closer to 200) because they were the only thing on and i love the NFL that much.

plus, i just about never miss a playoff game or thanksgiving game whether the cowboys are in it, or not.

sunday ticket is a good thing, especially if you are into fantasy.

LVSteelersfan
04-16-2009, 12:05 AM
I actually enjoy going to the Steelers bar which is about 2 miles from my house in Las Vegas. I usually watch the nationally televised games at home but I try to make every game that is not televised here. I could never get Direct TVs package because I have cable and it is not available. I do get NFL Network so I don't have to miss the Thursday night games.

steelwall
04-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I actually enjoy going to the Steelers bar which is about 2 miles from my house in Las Vegas. I usually watch the nationally televised games at home but I try to make every game that is not televised here. I could never get Direct TVs package because I have cable and it is not available. I do get NFL Network so I don't have to miss the Thursday night games.

Thats what I loved about Fort Bragg in N.C. Even the local BW3's there in Fayetteville was a bigtime Steelers bar. Funny thing is I just happened to go in there one game day and discovered 50 or so screaming Steeler fans .... I thought.....I'm home baby!

MACH1
04-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Depends on which region your in on what games you get on free tv.

Steelers are only one out of 14-17 games a weekend, Like Killer said there's other good games to be watched.

steelwall
04-16-2009, 02:13 AM
I love sunday ticket. I watch just about every game on it fo rthe last three years. But alas this year it will be a budget cut and I hope alot of people drop it. The NFL and Direttv need to come off the price a bit. 300-400 bucks means a trip my son and I can take to heinz!

I remember when it was like 125...Man 3 or 400 thats seems pricey to me. Give the fans a break why don't cha?

XxKnightxX
04-16-2009, 03:29 AM
I remember when it was like 125...Man 3 or 400 thats seems pricey to me. Give the fans a break why don't cha?

Never, we want all your damn money, more games, more fines, higher ticket prices, $$$$$$, and yeah DirectV has the worst customer service known to man, I just cancelled them and without them even sending the packages for the receivers They take 450 dollars out of my bank account. How nice of them.

MasterOfPuppets
04-16-2009, 05:38 AM
good point. i can easilly say ive watched well over 100 cowboys games (probably closer to 200) because they were the only thing on and i love the NFL that much.

plus, i just about never miss a playoff game or thanksgiving game whether the cowboys are in it, or not.

sunday ticket is a good thing, especially if you are into fantasy.

so is the playboy channel...:chuckle:.....:pde:...did i say that outloud ???

MasterOfPuppets
04-16-2009, 05:48 AM
I love sunday ticket. I watch just about every game on it fo rthe last three years. But alas this year it will be a budget cut and I hope alot of people drop it. The NFL and Direttv need to come off the price a bit. 300-400 bucks means a trip my son and I can take to heinz! :busted::busted::busted: ....and there you have it !!! if people collectively would stop paying the freakin ransom ( including NFL network) things would change . when my local cable provider was bought out by atlantic broadband, they DROPPED the johnstown station that carried the steeler games !!! people around here, including myself , hammered them with cancelations, and threats of cancelation of subscriptions, and they picked the station back up.....:laughing: .... i'm sure they still lost a lot of customers to dish over it. ....there's strength in numbers !!! especially when dealing with a greedy foe....:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
04-16-2009, 07:12 AM
For the last couple of years I had been thinking about switching sattelite servers. The one I have I cannot get the sunday ticket. After I read this I think I will just stay with what I have. I didn't realize it had went up that much.

srk173
04-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Never, we want all your damn money, more games, more fines, higher ticket prices, $$$$$$, and yeah DirectV has the worst customer service known to man, I just cancelled them and without them even sending the packages for the receivers They take 450 dollars out of my bank account. How nice of them.

good luck getting it back. it took me like 6 weeks because they said i stole a receiver when i put both in the same box. somehow they only got one of them. Then they wanted to mail me a check 6-8 weeks later even though they withdrew the money right from my checking account. NEVER GIVE DIRECTV A CHECK CARD!

stlrtruck
04-16-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm all for the Steelers bar. My wife hates it when a game is on tv. She thinks I ignore anything she says to me when the game is on. I don't know what she's complaining about, when I'm home watching the game, I've got my daughter right next to me, keeping an eye on her, teaching her the game, teaching her the players, etc. - what's the problem? I mean really not everything she says is of dire importance, especially on game day.

SteelMember
04-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Hell yes, it's too damn much money, but watching some games can drive a man to drink (too much), so it's still cheaper than a DUI. :alcoholic

CPanther95
04-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Hard to beat the ability to catch 4 or 5 great drives at the end of each half.

Galax Steeler
04-16-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm all for the Steelers bar. My wife hates it when a game is on tv. She thinks I ignore anything she says to me when the game is on. I don't know what she's complaining about, when I'm home watching the game, I've got my daughter right next to me, keeping an eye on her, teaching her the game, teaching her the players, etc. - what's the problem? I mean really not everything she says is of dire importance, especially on game day.

I go through the same thing my wife tells me I don't hear a word she is saying when the game is on. It is kinda like tunnel vision.:chuckle:

atlsteelers
04-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Hell yes, it's too damn much money, but watching some games can drive a man to drink (too much), so it's still cheaper than a DUI. :alcoholic

I am with ya on that one. I love going to the steeler bars but i like to drink a few beers during a game and if its a stressful game its real easy to drink alot of beers. so 400 hundred is a lot cheapper than 4,000. Although i do miss hanging out with other fans.

SteelStang
04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I go through a similar thing with Sirius. I can now get Tunch and Hargrove on the computer so why bother keeping the satellite radio? I much prefer listeing to them vs. the idiots on TV.

fansince'76
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
So now we're talking $400 for four to six games ($75-100 per game). All of a sudden, a couple of trips to the sports bar start to sound pretty good, don't they?

Unless you're like me and don't really appreciate all the noise and commotion in a sports bar when you're trying to watch a game.

stlrtruck
04-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I go through the same thing my wife tells me I don't hear a word she is saying when the game is on. It is kinda like tunnel vision.:chuckle:

Maybe we should plan them a vacation together during football season :rofl:

TommyG
04-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Anybody that has to watch local TV schedule crap when good games are being missed knows what I mean.

I live in Indianapolis and would have to watch all the damn Colts games no matter what. I have had the Sunday Ticket for six years and I would not give it up unless I moved to Pittsburgh. Worth every penny to get to watch whatever game I want.

BlastFurnace
04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Last year, it was not worth the money I spent. Most of the games were nationally televised.

Knowing me though..and the fact that I enjoy a lot of other games as well..I'l probably pay the money.

I'm getting really tired of the arrogance of professional leagues though.

SteelersinCA
04-16-2009, 12:19 PM
I think Sunday Ticket is fantastic, and much needed in San Diego. The Chargers are an AFC team and that 4:15 slot is almost always taken by them or some other AFC West garbage team.

BlastFurnace
04-16-2009, 12:20 PM

There are things I don't like at a sports bar:

Smoking - I feel like I have aged 10 years by the time I leave a sports bar..and maybe put away a pack of cigarettes as well...and I don't even smoke. Honestly, I feel lousy after leaving a sports bar.

Annoying Fans - This can be any fan of any team. This includes "Fight Guy", "Taunt Guy"..and the "Overcusser" that believes every sentence should have 4 to 5 F-bombs...and he talks the entire game. I get pumped up, fired up, but I also draw lines in my behavior as well.

Food - With what I pay for in food at a sports bar, I'm already spending around $200.00 for 16 weeks. I might as well spend the extra $100.00 and watch it at home.

No TV Volume - Sometimes, the game has no volume to it, sometimes it does. Besides...I like listening to the Steelers broadcast over the Internet when I am watching a game.

MACH1
04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
good luck getting it back. it took me like 6 weeks because they said i stole a receiver when i put both in the same box. somehow they only got one of them. Then they wanted to mail me a check 6-8 weeks later even though they withdrew the money right from my checking account. NEVER GIVE DIRECTV A CHECK CARD!

Thats why when you send them back in the FedEx box's they sent you to send them back in. You keep the tracking #'s, been down that road on a replacement receiver and with a tracking # it was fixed in 5 minutes.

steelreserve
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I saw every Steelers game except one last season, even though the national game was usually blacked out because of the NFL's idiotic policy of blocking whatever game is on the other network from the local team's game. Because of the Raiders and 49ers, everyone in the Bay Area is screwed.

So apart from the 3-4 Monday Night, Sunday Night and other oddly scheduled games, I got about 5-6 on Slingbox from a helpful relative and another 3-4 on good, old-fashioned illegal streaming video. Then went to a sports bar a couple times because that's fun anyway.

CanadianSteel
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Here is Canada the NFL package is offered by all the cable companies, and dish providers. Rogers, Bell etc...
Cost is $199 for the year but I think $179 if you sign up before season starts.
Perhaps that will go up this year

As far as last year for Steeler games I did not need all that much with so many of the games on Regular TV with 4pm starts and Monday/Sunday nighters.

This year will be more in need as 1pm games here are usually Bills on CBS so its a must. Besides I have not mised a game in a long time and dont plan to start...plus its nice if Syteelers are not playoing Sunday at 1pm to select the game you want to watch rather than whats in your viewing area...

fansince'76
04-16-2009, 01:00 PM

With the money-grubbing POS the NFL has for a commissioner now? Fat chance.

MACH1
04-16-2009, 01:09 PM
279.00 for the early bird NFL ST.

If you wait they usually have a promo to get SF for free.
I've had SF for the past three years and haven't paid a dime for it.

realdeal
04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
That's BS Mach!! I have had Sunday Ticket for 10 years! There is no way you get it for free!
:laughing::rofl:

MACH1
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
That's BS Mach!! I have had Sunday Ticket for 10 years! There is no way you get it for free!
:laughing::rofl:

Not Sunday Ticket, the Super Fan part FREE. And its not BS.

Ive had SF since it came out, so whats your point. Ask AgustaShark (I think it was him) I told him about the deal and he got it for free too!!

atlsteelers
04-16-2009, 04:01 PM
i got superfan free last year too. i just called them up and asked if i could have it free for a weekend that i went on vacation so that i could watch it on a lab top. they said they could not give it to me for only one week so they gave it to me for the season free.

Preacher
04-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I saw every Steelers game except one last season, even though the national game was usually blacked out because of the NFL's idiotic policy of blocking whatever game is on the other network from the local team's game. Because of the Raiders and 49ers, everyone in the Bay Area is screwed.

So apart from the 3-4 Monday Night, Sunday Night and other oddly scheduled games, I got about 5-6 on Slingbox from a helpful relative and another 3-4 on good, old-fashioned illegal streaming video. Then went to a sports bar a couple times because that's fun anyway.

:rofl:

Yep, I HATE the bay area when it comes to sports.

steelreserve
04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
:rofl:

Yep, I HATE the bay area when it comes to sports.

It might at least be bearable if all the teams here didn't suck except for the Sharks. This seriously has to be some kind of historic record for futility. The 49ers and Raiders have sucked for almost a decade, the Warriors have sucked for a decade and a half except for one good season, the Giants haven't made the playoffs in about 7 years, and for the past 15 seasons, the A's have either sucked or choked out of the playoffs in the first round. Even the MLS team went broke and moved out of town. There's literally been nothing to get excited about for almost a decade except hockey and drinking in the parking lot.

T&B fan
04-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Try living in China I have to stay up lateor go to sleep early planning my whole sceduale around a game. so lets say 4:30pm est it's 4:30am here. Then I have to rely on shotty internet feeds that allways seem to freeze at the wrong times..... but could be worse, at least I'm not a bungles fan doing all this for nothing........

thats funny :laughing::laughing: and yet so sad :sofunny:

Here is Canada the NFL package is offered by all the cable companies, and dish providers. Rogers, Bell etc...
Cost is $199 for the year but I think $179 if you sign up before season starts.
Perhaps that will go up this year

As far as last year for Steeler games I did not need all that much with so many of the games on Regular TV with 4pm starts and Monday/Sunday nighters.

This year will be more in need as 1pm games here are usually Bills on CBS so its a must. Besides I have not mised a game in a long time and dont plan to start...plus its nice if Syteelers are not playoing Sunday at 1pm to select the game you want to watch rather than whats in your viewing area...

is that in US $$ or Can $$.....the Bills they suck ... I am hopeing they move just a little more to the north , so I am not stuck with them on every week ...( I would next have to suffer with the Jets:banging:) thinks it time to move :tt03:

Steel-Bryan
04-16-2009, 08:03 PM
I live in Jersey, so i have to watch the Giants and Jets all the time :doh:

Edman
04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
I live in Pittsburgh, so catching the Steelers is never a problem for me.

I don't go to bars. I sit in my room and watch the game, and chat on Steelers Fever at the same time. Quite entertaining in itself actually. We use Direct TV, so the downside is I'll miss entended periods of the game if the weather is crappy.

CanadianSteel
04-17-2009, 11:55 AM
is that in US $$ or Can $$.....the Bills they suck ... I am hopeing they move just a little more to the north , so I am not stuck with them on every week ...( I would next have to suffer with the Jets:banging:) thinks it time to move :tt03:[/QUOTE]

That is actually Canadian dollars.

I an not sure why the package is cheaper up here in the North.
I suppose becaue we dont have actual Direct TV, and the package is bought and sold by the cable companies. Perhaps separate deals are struck with Direct TV and Rogers, Bell etc...

realdeal
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Not Sunday Ticket, the Super Fan part FREE. And its not BS.

Ive had SF since it came out, so whats your point. Ask AgustaShark (I think it was him) I told him about the deal and he got it for free too!!

My Bad! No reason to get your panties in a bunch!:laughing:

Yes Superfan, you can get for free, but not sunday ticket! My bad!

SteelMember
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
is that in US $$ or Can $$.....the Bills they suck ... I am hopeing they move just a little more to the north , so I am not stuck with them on every week ...( I would next have to suffer with the Jets:banging:) thinks it time to move :tt03:

That is actually Canadian dollars.

I an not sure why the package is cheaper up here in the North.
I suppose becaue we dont have actual Direct TV, and the package is bought and sold by the cable companies. Perhaps separate deals are struck with Direct TV and Rogers, Bell etc...

I believe the exchange rate is about 1-1.2, so at 199, it would equal about 240 US. Still less.

The Direct TV deal could just be a US provider contract. They are only liscenced to use the "already established" satellite feeds from the NFL. Form what you saying, Canada just uses another "less greedy" provider. :noidea:

simonsfs30
04-17-2009, 12:30 PM
in mexico u can get sunday tikcket for 150 dls if not less, but just one company has it sky
also u can get to go to a sportsbook where all nfl games are on

Curtain_of_Steel
04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
In NJ had all but 1 game(2nd browns game) televised last year. The Ticket was a total waste, lol.