PDA

View Full Version : Lions to interveiw Grimm

BB2W
01-09-2006, 03:39 PM
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm is expected to interview for the Detroit Lions' coaching job later this week.

Under NFL rules, teams were not permitted to interview any Steelers assistant coaches last week as they prepared for the team's wild-card game Sunday in Cincinnati. Teams can interview Pittsburgh coaches this week or wait until after the Steelers' final game.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said he would do anything possible to help an assistant become a head coach.

"I would never stand in the way of any of our coaches if they have a dream of becoming a head coach," Cowher said. "We'll work within the league structure. ... I have no problem with that."

Grimm, a former Redskins star offensive lineman and assistant coach, was a finalist for the Bears' job before Lovie Smith was hired two years ago. After nearly getting that job, Grimm was given the title of Steelers assistant head coach.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cleveland Browns before they hired Romeo Crennel.

link: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/13585448.htm

Prosdo
01-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Would hate to see Russ Grimm go. I know we could possibly lose Whiz as well.

BB2W
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah it sucks, but I think we all saw this coming. I had a feeling Millen would go after Grimm.

Prosdo
01-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah that is true. Any idea who we would have replace him?

SteelerDan43
01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Lets pray for Grimmy to not take that dead end horrid job

Suitanim
01-09-2006, 04:12 PM
All the more reason to win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR!

SteelerDan43
01-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Here is another paragraph on it from the rumor section of ESPN insider

Millen leaning toward Grimm?
<Jan. 9> The Detroit Free Press speculates that Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, who is expected to interview with GM Matt Millen this week, is the favorite for the Lions' job. Under Grimm, a former teammate of Millen's, three Steelers offensive linemen (Jeff Hartings, Marvel Smith and Alan Faneca) have made the Pro Bowl.
The Lions are one of three teams (Packers, Rams) set to interview Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis today. The Lions will also interview Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

Former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett, Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, Lions defensive coordinator and interim head coach Dick Jauron, and Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon have already met with Millen. 49ers linebackers/assistant coach Mike Singletary is also considered a candidate.

clevestinks
01-09-2006, 04:43 PM
In all honesty, I wouldn`t want to lose both this year! But how important in Russ Grimm?
How many teams have a assistant HC? What exactly is his role? And how vital is it?

SteelerDan43
01-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Well I know the Rams have one cause he took over for Martz and same with Indy. Im assuming most teams probably have an top assistant that isnt a coordinator and just give him that title but I could be wrong

Grey
01-09-2006, 04:48 PM
You know, everyone always makes a big deal out of how many head coaches have emerged out of Mike Holmgrens staff. You've all probably seen the NFL Films special on it, and I see it written about a lot.

But Cowher's has now added quite a few head coaches to the league, and maybe very soon will be Russ Grimm.

I was talking about this with a friend of mine, but can't remember everyone. How about helping me put this list together:

Mike Mularky -- Offensive Coordinator
Jim Haslett -- Defensive COordinator ??
Marvin Lewis -- Linebacker Coach

Why am I drawing a blank here?

Here we go.
Grey

RoethlisBURGHer
01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I hope he doesn't take the Detroit job.As long as Millen is the GM there,it's a dead-end job that might end your career as a HC.

SteelerDan43
01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Tim Lewis is also in the running for a few jobs

It's amazing there is this many vacancies

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2006, 05:12 PM
If he dioes get hired by Detroit, I would like us to hire Tunch Ilkin.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
I hope he doesn't take the Detroit job.As long as Millen is the GM there,it's a dead-end job that might end your career as a HC.

I agree, If Millen goes he should jump on it and rebuild that team.. if Millen is there forget it. He's as bad as Al Davis in a different way. :dang:

Suitanim
01-10-2006, 09:11 AM
In all honesty, I wouldn`t want to lose both this year! But how important in Russ Grimm?
How many teams have a assistant HC? What exactly is his role? And how vital is it?

The Redskins just paid theirs (Gregg Williams) $8 mil for a 3 year contract extension

Atlanta Dan
01-10-2006, 09:20 AM
The Redskins just paid theirs (Gregg Williams) $8 mil for a 3 year contract extension

The Williams contract has the other owners seriously ticked off at Danny Snyder for blowing the roof off of the scale for assistants' salaries.

The NFL continues to grope with how to allow assistants on playoff teams to be considered for jobs while their teams are still playing. It is unfair for coaches on those teams to be off limits while other candidates are competing for jobs. In addition, teams cannot afford to wait until after the Super Bowl for an assistant whom might turn you down or not interview well before interviewing other candidates for a vacancy. Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis repeatedly got the short end of the stick with this process over the last several years.

However, I assume Cowher is not thrilled with a process in which Steelers coaches are preparing for job interviews this week.

tony hipchest
01-10-2006, 10:21 AM

coaches can only interview if they are being offered a promotion. the steelers could deny anyone an interview if they were offering grimm the offensive line coach position or a lateral move. by making him the assistant head coach he is still the o line coach but he was given a title and a payraise, which means we got him for good unless someone is gonna give him a job as head coach. i remember cowher joking about it. he said that grimm was an important part of the team and the promotion was pretty much a reward. he went on to say if he got shot he guessed grimm would then step up ats head coach. kind of a vice president type thing.

Prosdo
01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Assistants Grimm, Whisenhunt set for interviews

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh assistant Russ Grimm will interview for head coaching vacancies with the Lions, Packers and Saints later this week after Steelers coaches have finalized their game plan for Sunday's divisional playoff game against Indianapolis.

Grimm, the offensive line coach, is seen as a front-runner for the Lions job and will be interviewed Thursday night in Pittsburgh by Lions president Matt Millen. The Packers interview will be Friday.

The Saints, who may interview Grimm by phone, are looking to replace a former Steelers assistant coach, Jim Haslett, who was fired following a 3-13 season.

Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt also has one interview this week, with the Rams -- his first for a head coaching position. Whisenhunt, a Steelers coordinator for two years, called the throwback pass to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger that resulted in a game-sealing touchdown pass to Cedrick Wilson during Sunday's 31-17 playoff victory in Cincinnati.

Grimm, a former star on the Redskins' offensive line known as the Hogs, was a finalist with Lovie Smith for the Bears job before Smith was hired two years ago. After that interview, Grimm added the title of assistant head coach in Pittsburgh. Grimm also interviewed with the Browns last season before Romeo Crennel was hired.

The Lions have already talked to or plan to talk to interim coach Dick Jauron, who took over when Steve Mariucci was fired two months ago; Haslett; Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak; Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon; Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis; and Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2287386

Hammer67
01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Some local Detroit sports radio talk shows are saying that Grimm shouldn't accept and that no coach will solve the Lion's problems. What they really need is smarter drafting and a new GM! Suprise suprise....

SteelerDan43
01-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Some local Detroit sports radio talk shows are saying that Grimm shouldn't accept and that no coach will solve the Lion's problems. What they really need is smarter drafting and a new GM! Suprise suprise....

And they are absolutley right!!! It would almost be career suicide.... He almost got that Chicago job last year but shouldnt rush into a bad situation like the one in Detroit... :helmet: