PDA

View Full Version : Madden retires from the booth

Fire Haley
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madden Retires

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/

Hall of Fame coach and most honored broacaster in history says it's time

John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored NFL broadcaster of all time, has served as the game analyst for “NBC Sunday Night Football” since 2006.

NEW YORK - NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden issued the following statement today:

"It’s time. I’m 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not…

It’s been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion – it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have… that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League… my broadcasting partners Pat and Al… the production people and the fans …is still great… it’s still fun and that’s what it makes it hard and that’s why it took me a few months to make a decision.

I still love every part of it – the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time."

John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored NFL broadcaster of all time, has served as the game analyst for “NBC Sunday Night Football” since 2006. Madden, who has won an unprecedented 16 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Analyst/Personality, is renowned by football fans nationwide for his ability to analyze the details of the game with wit, candor and an inimitable style. Madden has been an NFL broadcaster for 30 years. On February 1, Madden earned rave reviews and critical acclaim in his final game, the 11th Super Bowl he called – Super Bowl XLIII on NBC.

XxKnightxX
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
WOW, thats a shocker if you ask me, I thought this guy would of kept going till he turned 90. Dont know maybe the recent death of the Phillies broadcaster gave him a second look at things and maybe he does want to walking into the sunset and enjoying his time with his family. As much as i say you hated us and we hated you :hatsoff: Mr Madden you sure wont be forgotten.

Moving on.....whos going to replace him? Chris Douchesnworth?
Hes worse than madden lol.

verks36
04-16-2009, 11:29 AM
i aint even going to lie. There will be no one who can replace john madden in the booth. Not saying i liked his commentary but no one can replace him.

Fire Haley
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
And how fitting the last game he called is our Super Bowl win. Thanks John.

atlsteelers
04-16-2009, 11:44 AM
And how fitting the last game he called is our Super Bowl win. Thanks John.

that will probally totrure him having to reflect back on his last game in the booth and it being the steelers winning the superbowl. other than his video game he blew, maybe troy aikmen can retire too.

tony hipchest
04-16-2009, 11:45 AM
nfl life for him could not continue without brett favre. :crying01:

fansince'76
04-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Good riddance, you biased, bloated fat pig.

atlsteelers
04-16-2009, 11:54 AM

post of the day

OneForTheToe
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
From Roger Goodell, Commissioner National Football League

Commissioner Goodell joins with the NFL, its teams and fans in wishing John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored NFL broadcaster of all time, a happy and healthy retirement. For over fourty years John has been the face of the NFL. First as a coach and then a broadcaster. And always as a friend. He will never be replaced. We wish him much happiness and good times with Virginia, Joseph, Michael and the "Grand Kids." As a final honor to his great career, I am officially changing the outcome of the 1972 AFC divisional playoff game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders. I hereby declare that the ball bounced of John Fuqua first, therfeore making the rest of the play [Harris' touchdown] null and void. Thank You, John, for all you have done.

TommyG
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Rumor is Collinsworth is going to replace him. I would rather they put a chimp next to Michales and watch him throw poo at the camera than have Chris "Steeler Hater" Collinsworth in the booth.

tucker6
04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
The patrons of this esteemed establishment approve of this message. :drink:

7SteelGal43
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM

:rofl:

CaliSteelerFan
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Wonder if we can reserect Howard Cosell from the dead? At least he can sit there like that Bernie dude from Weekend at Bernies. Anything would be better than sitting there and watching fat man.

kmsteelerwr15
04-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Rumor is Collinsworth is going to replace him. I would rather they put a chimp next to Michales and watch him throw poo at the camera than have Chris "Steeler Hater" Collinsworth in the booth.

ya thank god for mute :thumbsup:

fansince'76
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Anything would be better than sitting there and watching fat man.

From the sounds of it, the fat man is going to be replaced by an even more annoying, skinny, pencil-necked geek who is even more biased against the Steelers than he was. Joy.

MACH1
04-16-2009, 01:12 PM
From the sounds of it, the fat man is going to be replaced by an even more annoying, skinny, pencil-necked geek who is even more biased against the Steelers than he was. Joy.

An opening for Emmit to move into. :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
wow this is a shocker!! what is frank caliendo going to do now lol. put the bus in the booth!!!!!!

stlrtruck
04-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Good riddance you waste of tv booth space!

Now for Collinsworth will follow his lead.

tony hipchest
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM
collinsworth was just confirmed by that dick ebersol.

revefsreleets
04-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Just like with Pat Summerall, the time had some. Madden didn't knw the down and distance, was flubbing up and was clearly "losing it".

Still, he was colorful and original.

stillers4me
04-16-2009, 02:03 PM
The Steelers winning a sixth Superbowl drove him over the edge.

Now let's work on peckerhead.

PisnNapalm
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out John.

Edman
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
About time. He just wasn't cutting it anymore.

His commentary during Super Bowl XL was atrocious.

stillers4me
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Just a little funny.....

My pilates teacher said something like, " Now extend your leg by extending it out."

I started laughing and she says, " hey, just call me the John Madden of pilates." :chuckle:

The Duke
04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
:tt: :tt:

about freakin time!!

lilyoder6
04-16-2009, 03:58 PM
but.. dumbass collinsworth is taking his spot...

collinsworth is so much worse than madden... oh dear god

JAG151
04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Well I'm glad to see this over-rated bag of wind freggin go!! Couldn't stand the sound of his voice or his succesor's for that matter, thats why I mute the TV and turn on the radio team! Yea, I know it isn't in sync, but it is a heck of a lot better than listening to douchebags like Madden or Collinsworth!
Glad to see you go Madden!!

touchdownward
04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Good! One less bushy unibrowed, cro-magnon looking, fat face, Steeler hatin' blowheart to have to listen to. :thumbsup:

St33lersguy
04-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Wonder if we can reserect Howard Cosell from the dead? At least he can sit there like that Bernie dude from Weekend at Bernies. Anything would be better than sitting there and watching fat man.

Or pencli-necked geek Piss "Steelerhater" Douchensworthless. Heck you can scratch Howard Cosell & replace them with a broom. Not to mention the broom has more intelligence than Collinsworthless

LambertIsGod58
04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
No surprise here...I'm in the minority once again. I'm actually sad to see Madden go. I thought he was one of the best commentators of my time. I grew up on him and Summerall doing the NFC games every Sunday. And he was part of our bitter rival of the 1970's.

SteelCurtain7
04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
John Madden, out with a BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! :tt:

T&B fan
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM

ok now be nice tell us how you realy feel :chuckle:

Preacher
04-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, I for one, actually enjoyed him better than most.

PeckerWood
04-16-2009, 10:36 PM
When Madden talks its :blah::blah::blah::blah:

Now they need to fire Corn-holer and Jaws.

1st&Goal
04-16-2009, 11:37 PM
So long fatass !! I hope it doesn't take as long to get rid of Collinsworthless

1st&Goal
04-16-2009, 11:41 PM
By the way............ Raiders SUCK !!!

1st&Goal
04-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Awe Wee too ascared to fwie on da willow ahhpwane ????

fansince'76
04-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Why do so many Steeler fans hate Madden so much? I know he was a Raiders coach back when we had a heated rivalry, but is all the hate really necessary?

Well, for my part, I watched Mr. "That didn't look like a hold to me!" let his obvious bitterness over the Immaculate Reception bleed into his commentary during EVERY game of ours he has covered for YEARS. I then watched him almost singlehandedly start the officiating "controversy" over SB XL (which we're STILL hearing about). For the coup-de-grace, I then watched him pick apart every call made in SB XLIII just looking for something to point out to make it look like we were being "unfairly favored" by the refs again, then squawk and bitch how Harrison should have been ejected (he shouldn't have been - the 15-yarder he got for what he did was appropriate) after conveniently ignoring Adrian Wilson taking a clear swing at Hines much earlier in that game. Due to all of this, I'm sorry, but I for one am not going to miss the man nor am I going to pretend that I will. Once again, ta-ta, lardass, it's time to get over the IR - it was almost 40 frigging years ago now. Let it go already.

X-Terminator
04-17-2009, 04:04 AM
About 10 years too late if you ask me.

So long, fat boy! Please mind the ass-door interface on your way out!

steelwall
04-17-2009, 04:19 AM
:doh: oh man Collinsworth???? Damn that sucks.....

paw-n-maul-u
04-17-2009, 06:19 AM
I was watching ESPN and saw a special about John Madden retiring and then

BOOM!!

... I changed the channel.

steelwall
04-17-2009, 06:28 AM
I was watching ESPN and saw a special about John Madden retiring and then

BOOM!!

... I changed the channel.

:laughing: good one.....

xfl2001fan
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM

That's exactly what I thought! :chuckle: He must have sensed that BrettFavreBrettFavreBrettFavre was actually retiring. Now, he'll be a radio announcer in MS so that he can report on how BrettFavreBrettFavreBrettFavre rides on a tractor or how BrettFavreBrettFavreBrettFavre does in his Wrangler Commercials.

HometownGal
04-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I hated Madden when he was the coach of da Raiders, but didn't mind him so much in the booth. Even though he was a Ray Ray, TO and Favre knob-slobber and a Steelers hater, the guy knows his football. Good luck and lay off those cheeborgers fatsho! :pig: :drink:

My vote goes to Bill Cowher to jump networks and replace Madden the Hut. :thumbsup::chuckle:

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Thank God!!!!

vasteeler
04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
man! Madden is taking some heat. I loved hearing him call games his voice is very nostalgic to me. Of course he is redundant as hell. I will truely miss him, but hey at least now we can listen to collinsworthless:doh:

sherlock
04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I`m very much an NFL novice but my heart would sink when Madden was the game caller because he just seemed to state the obvious all the time.....and if I thought this then God only knows how you guys must have felt during his "insights" into a game.

Franco32Harris
04-17-2009, 03:27 PM
On ESPN they said that Cris Collinsworth is the best announcer to replace Madden but they said he still won't be as good as Madden.....:banging:

St33lersguy
04-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Madden was just as big of an asshole as skeleton Davis when he was coach of the gayders then his hatred for the Steelers carried over. Bye Bye you bloated pig!!

Hapa
04-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I thought he was an awesome commentator, even if he didn't like the Steelers. He's always funny without even trying to be

silver & black
04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
By the way............ Raiders SUCK !!!

Really? I hadn't noticed. :banging:

silver & black
04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I hated Madden when he was the coach of da Raiders, but didn't mind him so much in the booth. Even though he was a Ray Ray, TO and Favre knob-slobber and a Steelers hater, the guy knows his football. Good luck and lay off those cheeborgers fatsho! :pig: :drink:

My vote goes to Bill Cowher to jump networks and replace Madden the Hut. :thumbsup::chuckle:

You're probably going to be shocked at this, but... I loved Madden when he was the coach of the Raiders!:wink02:

I never thought he was the best announcer, but he was entertaining, if nothing else.

Texasteel
04-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I have never been a fan of fat bastard, but I hate Collinsworth even more.

I would love to see them work together, and get into a knife fight, but Collinsworth would never get threw all that fat.

Have a great retirement, fat bastard, I'm right behind you.