PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Gary Russell

kmsteelerwr15
04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Gary Russell, who scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl XLIII, was released by the Steelers today.

Russell made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2007 and became their short-yardage running back midway through the 2008 season. He rushed for 77 yards on 28 carries last season and scored three touchdowns.

His most important score, though, came in the second quarter of the Super Bowl when he ran one yard for a touchdown to give the Steelers a 10-0 lead. He previously lost four yards when he was tackled in the backfield on a first down at Arizona's one on the first series of the game.

Those were Russell's only two carries of the Super Bowl. He also scored a touchdown from one yards in the fourth quarter of the Steelers' 35-24 playoff victory against San Diego.

The Steelers gave no reason for his release.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09106/963361-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

MDSteel15
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
WOW!!! opens up a new can of worms...... :popcorn:

lilyoder6
04-16-2009, 02:55 PM
i don't understand this at all

why cut someone now.. y not wait til camp and u have an extra camp body???

something is fishy about this

Edman
04-16-2009, 02:59 PM
We have Parker and MeMo, as well as Mendy returning from injury.

I was hoping we'd keep Russell on board for insurance.

truesteelerfan
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
He was the closest thing to a power back that we had...He had such potential..sorry to see him go. Maybe they thing Mendy is our powerback of the future?

The Duke
04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Man, that sucks

but you gotta wonder why he didn't even get a chance to go to training camp....

msafford
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I wonder if Arizona's calling Russell as we speak?

bigjamesharrison2
04-16-2009, 03:52 PM

They Proabably are...

CanadianSteel
04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
That is odd for sure - can't be a salary dump and he performed decent when given the chance.
Didnt like him as a kick returner but seemed a decent short yardage back with some upside .
Very puzzling indeed...

Preacher
04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
As I said in the other thread on this topic....

It may be one of two things.

1. Roster Bonus.
2. Problems in offseason workouts... Somehow, he may have crossed the coaches.

Dino 6 Rings
04-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Maybe he got in "trouble" and this is the Steelers way of distancing themselves.

klick81
04-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Wow...this one was unexpected. Who's gonna return kicks now???

BlastFurnace
04-16-2009, 04:20 PM
My immediate respone is that I hate this move....but Tomlin must have a good reason to do this.

I'll wait to see what Mike says.

St33lersguy
04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Why did they release him? He's good insurance @ RB & did impressive in short yardage situations

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Remember.....THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION THE FRONT OFFICE !! :rulez: :chuckle:

they released the #4 RB.....no big deal.

Give It To Abercrombie
04-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Either he did something stupid, which I doubt.....

OR

They have complete faith Mendenhall (note I said Mendenhall, not Mendy, since he and I are both straight) being healthy for this season and wanted to give Russell plenty of chance to catch on elsewhere.

StainlessStill
04-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Why the confusion?

The only reason why Gary Russell was on the roster last year was because of insurance when Rashard Mendenhall went down. Yes he returned kicks, and was our 'short yardage back' (if you REALLY want to call it that, he got STUFFED every chance he had other than in N.E and the SB) but obviously we have plans to replace him both in the return unit, AND in the short yardage situation.

This was a good move to sure up some space in order to make room for a depth player or a legit Special Teams player.

tyler289
04-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I liked Russell, I'm sorry to see him go.

mulldog24
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Do you guys think we are just making room for Frank "THE TANK" Summers?:tt03:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
04-16-2009, 07:01 PM
:noidea:

tony hipchest
04-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Do you guys think we are just making room for Frank "THE TANK" Summers?:tt03:that was my first thought. 2nd thought was for a legitimate kick returner.

Texasteel
04-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Summers was my 1st thought as well. He would probably be a better short yardage running, but would they cut Russell before they got him. Maybe there was some bonus money involved.

Rick5895
04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I think you all will find that mendenhall will be a very good short yardage guy as well as a great change of pace for parker, aswell we have moore.

SteelersMongol
04-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I like him 2. I don't really understand this move.

As I said in the other thread on this topic....

It may be one of two things.

1. Roster Bonus.
2. Problems in offseason workouts... Somehow, he may have crossed the coaches.

Or maybe

Maybe he got in "trouble" and this is the Steelers way of distancing themselves.

No doubt.

KeiselPower99
04-16-2009, 08:34 PM

Probably not cause he came to us after Whiz and Cowher left. Sad to see him go.

scsteeler
04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I liked Russell and would have liked to see him stay but the loss is not big one. The Coaching Staff and Front Office have their reasons.

jjpro11
04-16-2009, 10:14 PM
that's definitely surprising.. any chance we resign him in like a week to avoid some sort of contract payment? i have no idea really.. if Parker or Mendenhall go and tear their ACL playing basketball or working out in a month, then what?

triphahn
04-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Do you guys think we are just making room for Frank "THE TANK" Summers?:tt03:

That was my first thought.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Mendy will be the power running back that we need

rick723
04-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I think you all will find that mendenhall will be a very good short yardage guy as well as a great change of pace for parker, aswell we have moore.

I loved Veron Haynes as a 3rd down back. Me-Mo is way better. Never thought I would say that.

Steel-Bryan
04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Super+Bowl+XLIII+E4BSs3vscKGl.jpg

:crying01:

Steelman16
04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Does this mean they're really sold on Logan and need that roster space?

1st&Goal
04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
I liked Russell, I'm sorry to see him go.

Me Too !!!!!! :banging:

madtowndrunkard
04-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Russell has issues in college to. He either got in trouble or he demanded a release.

There is no reason for the steelers to just cut him now, unless he got in trouble or asked for it.

I guess if I'm in Russell's shoes I'd probably ask for a release or a trade or I'd hold out. Why? I think Russell could be a starter on a lot of teams. He's got the talent to be good IMO. If his agent and Gary feel the same way then the only chance he'll ever get a shot at starting is if he's with another team. RB's career's don't last long...it's now or never for Gary Russel.

ricksteelers55
04-17-2009, 12:08 AM
funny how people were all in love with Gary,but he didnt do much better than Dookie.Dookie converted almost all of his short yardage even though he wasnt running with a lot of power for his size.And ironically they both got cut before the training camp

fansince'76
04-17-2009, 12:28 AM
I don't understand the angst over this move by some people. Russell was OK. That's it. Not that big of a loss.

steelwall
04-17-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't understand the angst over this move by some people. Russell was OK. That's it. Not that big of a loss.

I agree..... didn't show me much. I was happy that he could catch a punt without fumbling it, but that was about it.

taztroy43
04-17-2009, 12:59 AM
you know whats funny about this whole thing....some say he wasnt very good and that it wasn't that big a deal that he got released...but the thing is that he took out moore and parker as a short yardage back(those guys couldn't cut it and thats pretty sad....a 4th stringer took them out!).....i know....mendenhall probably could do a better job but we still gotta see what hes made of....its kind of a big deal but i think mendenhall will make us forget about russell......

tony hipchest
04-17-2009, 01:08 AM
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Super+Bowl+XLIII+E4BSs3vscKGl.jpg

:crying01:that is one tiny dude to be called our goal line "power back" :noidea:

you know whats funny about this whole thing....some say he wasnt very good and that it wasn't that big a deal that he got released...but the thing is that he took out moore and parker as a short yardage back(those guys couldn't cut it and thats pretty sad....a 4th stringer took them out. injuries took out parker who scored 3 rushing td's in the 1st game last season. mendenhall was regarded by some as the best rb in the draft last season.

russell was never regarded. i dont care that he is gone. cut him, open up an additional roster spot, hand the ball off to carey davis or mchugh, and get the same results. :noidea:

paw-n-maul-u
04-17-2009, 02:56 AM
I agree that russell is more or less expendable. I bet if you take a look again at his carries, they won't jump off the screen at you.

there are 1000 players that could do exactly what he did. Can you disagree with the statement "gary russell is no better than our 4th best running back?".

No.

I had high hopes for Russell as well. He went to Minny where he backed up barber and maroney ... then when his chance came, he failed out and got fat.

the steelers signed him and we all got excited about another potential "diamond in the rough". Myself included. However, it is now time to acknowledge that Gary Russell was never what we thought he could be. Although parker "established" himself as the #1 back, there are multiple opportunities in which russell could have got on the field and showed his stuff.

gary russell vs.

Parker-UDFA

Dookie-gross.

and Moore-3rd down/3rd string back entire career.

peace out gary, thank you for your handful of TD's.

Hines0wnz
04-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Probably some kind of roster bonus move or the coaches are confident Mendenhall is 100% and ready for the upcoming season.

Steeldude
04-17-2009, 05:00 AM
that is one tiny dude to be called our goal line "power back"

225 isn't tiny, IMO.

mulldog24
04-17-2009, 05:07 AM
you know whats funny about this whole thing....some say he wasnt very good and that it wasn't that big a deal that he got released...but the thing is that he took out moore and parker as a short yardage back(those guys couldn't cut it and thats pretty sad....a 4th stringer took them out!).....i know....mendenhall probably could do a better job but we still gotta see what hes made of....its kind of a big deal but i think mendenhall will make us forget about russell......

I kind of agree with you but mendenhall showed me alot when he was willing to go head on with ray lewis! He got hurt but nontheless dude will deliver a hit as well!:helmet:

steelwall
04-17-2009, 05:14 AM
225 isn't tiny, IMO.

:noidea: less than our QB.

Steeldude
04-17-2009, 05:17 AM
i couldn't care less which RB they cut. the O-line is the bigger problem in the running game.

only 3 reasons i can think of as to why they would release him...

1. roster bonus.

2. he asked to be released.

3. he got into some sort of trouble.

having faith in mendenhall doesn't mean they would cut him. seems to me they would wait to see if mendenhall is ok when he plays in pre-season. then they could cut russell if needed.

paw-n-maul-u
04-17-2009, 05:41 AM
power back is a really ... REALLY overused term. Who cares about having a power back. Brandon Jacobs and Jerome bettis are not the only prototype "power" backs.

of the top 6 RB's in TD's scored, all but brandon jacobs and lendale white are 5'10 or less ... and under 250 lbs. in weight.

I would trade ten "power-backs" for one "I-score-touchdowns-and-get first-downs-when-asked-too back". Gary Russell never fulfilled his potential. He is not a Tomlin draft pick.

Dangello williams scored the most TD's in the league and was hardly considered a "power" back out of college. infact, the whole knock against him was could his size hold up with a full NFL schedule. Willie parker had double digit TD's two years ago.

Every year we debate on trying to sign TJ duckett or Ron dayne or najeh davenport ... haha i mean there have even been "trade for brandon jacobs" threads. There is not a single RB in the league that could run behind that line.

Darnell stapleton needs to go.

Colon needs to go or be moved inside.

Hartwig gave up the most sacks of any center in the league (6.5)

Starks is the big ... BIG waste of potential.

Kemo is more or less solid. But probably not in the top 30 G's in the league, although he gets paid like one now.

This line, although it has nowhere to go but up ... finally a year with consistency ... more expereince under LZ's scheme yada yada yada.

Steelers need bodies and competition at every position along the offensive line. truely, there are four starters that could be replaced and we would see about the same results. no "power" back in the league is gonna fix that

Galax Steeler
04-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Tomlin has some kind of plan. The release of Russell is no big deal. He was an average kick returner nothing great but he didn't fumble. His carries was slim to none in every game. So I have no problem with his release.

tunes4life
04-17-2009, 07:32 AM
I'll bet that they released him now out of respect. The Steelers have a way of doing things so the players end up in the best possible position. Releasing him this early virtually ensures that he has plenty of time to get picked up by another team. They have a lot of backs in place already and I'll bet a late round pick is spent on a power back in the draft.

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 08:20 AM
i was talking about this w/ my brother last night about the release...

and the only thing we came up with was that the steelers knew he would have a hard time to make the team with a crowded backfield..

and they just released him know to give him a chance to make it on another team..

steelwall
04-17-2009, 08:23 AM
i was talking about this w/ my brother last night about the release...

and the only thing we came up with was that the steelers knew he would have a hard time to make the team with a crowded backfield..

and they just released him know to give him a chance to make it on another team..

Probably right, any other reason and we probably would have heard about it.

SteelMember
04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I guess the Steelers will now need a 1st rd pick RB in the upcoming draft. :rolleyes:

Fire Haley
04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
This can only mean we re-sign Fast Willie to a 5 year deal.

atlsteelers
04-17-2009, 08:58 AM
I'll bet that they released him now out of respect. The Steelers have a way of doing things so the players end up in the best possible position. Releasing him this early virtually ensures that he has plenty of time to get picked up by another team. They have a lot of backs in place already and I'll bet a late round pick is spent on a power back in the draft.

i agree or he has been missing some of the off season workouts. but more likely the steelers did not see him making the 53 man roster and since he has been active for so many games he may not be eligble for the practice squad so this gives him a chance to stick it out with another team

jjpro11
04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
funny how people were all in love with Gary,but he didnt do much better than Dookie.Dookie converted almost all of his short yardage even though he wasnt running with a lot of power for his size.And ironically they both got cut before the training camp

that's just plain wrong.. Davenport was horrible at picking up short yardage.. Russell became pretty damn reliable in those situations at the end of the season.. that and he was our most consistent kick returner.. he may not have the speed to take one all the way, but he consistently got us to the 30 or better on every return. i am not saying the Steelers are wrong for cutting him, i just would like to know what made them cut him now.

aclark99
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
This is a puzzling move. I wonder if Russell's character has creeped into play. He had trouble being a Gopher. I would like to think FWP has a deal in place but I really look for him to leave. I think drafting Mendenhall last year upset FWP. Perhaps the we are looking McCoy as a potential 1st Rd pick.

revefsreleets
04-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Russell had some weight issues in the past...if the dude was on the bubble to begin with, and then he came into workouts at 280 or something, that'd be enough.

We will find out eventually...but this punches a hole in my "trade Parker and move-up" theory...

Steelman16
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Perhaps the we are looking McCoy as a potential 1st Rd pick.

Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. :noidea:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-17-2009, 01:30 PM
puzzling move...i've got to think there is some "character" issue involved. the one guy who could actually pick up the tough yards let go? i can't make heads or tails of this...has to be more to this story that may come out later.

but if there isn't then this really doesn't make much sense because we have no short-yardage horse.

Steelman16
04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
puzzling move...i've got to think there is some "character" issue involved. the one guy who could actually pick up the tough yards let go? i can't make heads or tails of this...has to be more to this story that may come out later.

but if there isn't then this really doesn't make much sense because we have no short-yardage horse.

Seriously, though, when did Gary Russell ever pick up short yards? I think he failed more than he ever got them.

Mendenhall in his short tenure had more short yardage plays than Russell did.

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Russell had some weight issues in the past...if the dude was on the bubble to begin with, and then he came into workouts at 280 or something, that'd be enough.

We will find out eventually...but this punches a hole in my "trade Parker and move-up" theory...

that would be scary 2 see him come in at that weight.. he would of been the hampton on the offensive side of the ball

msafford
04-17-2009, 03:46 PM
It didn't take long for former Pittsburgh Steelers tailback Gary Russell to find a new home.

Less than 24 hours after being cut by the defending champions, Russell was claimed off waivers by the Cincinnati Bengals, the team announced Friday.

Russell was Pittsburgh's short-yardage back last season. He earned playing time after the season-ending shoulder injury to former first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall. But with Mendenhall's return this year, Russell became expendable.

The Bengals, meanwhile, are looking for running back to add depth behind starter Cedric Benson. Russell is a third-year player who has 35 career carries for 98 ya

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-378/Gary-Russell-joins-Cincy.html

Interesting.

Fire Haley
04-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I hate seeing our players going to division rivals.

I don't care who they are.

Preacher
04-17-2009, 04:03 PM

I am not sure it does. As much as I DONT want to see that theory come to be reality, I could see Mendy and MeMo taking the carries, and a 3rd round RB being the 3rd back. One thing I have learned over the last two drafts, is NO ONE knows exactly what this current staff is thinking.

Fire Haley
04-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Not everyone loves him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

Russell had "Bengal" written all over him. Not only is he floating down the Ohio River pipeline from Pittsburgh, but he also has a history of character concerns going back to his days at Minnesota. Russell offers a similar skill-set to starter Cedric Benson, so he's not likely to see playing time barring injury.

stillers4me
04-17-2009, 04:10 PM
It's the only Superbowl ring those players are ever going to see.

Steelman16
04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-378/Gary-Russell-joins-Cincy.html

Interesting.

That was fast... :noidea:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-17-2009, 04:50 PM
birds of a feather flock together...? :-)

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 05:18 PM
It's the only Superbowl ring those players are ever going to see.

i beleive that russell is getting the ring made for his grandmother.. so he isn't even going to have the ring

chucoblack&gold
04-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm surprised the Wiz didnt pick him up. James has lost his "Edge" IMO and Im sure Russel can be developed.

LVSteelersfan
04-17-2009, 05:42 PM
RBs like Russell are a dime a dozen. He runs straight ahead, has no moves and gets tackled before he gets moving nine times out of ten. He never impressed me in the least. Not a big loss but he could be back later the way the Steelers do things.

steelerdave1969
04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
He was the closest thing to a power back that we had...He had such potential..sorry to see him go. Maybe they thing Mendy is our powerback of the future?

I was also suprised by seeing him being released, but to say that he was a power back is kind of smokey to me. I will be not suprised by seeing the Steelers take a RB alot earlier than alot of people here think.

Crushzilla
04-17-2009, 10:24 PM
The whole thing about giving the ring to his grandma seems nice, but character issues? Hmm....maybe he wasnt just released because he was expendable, maybe the FO was afraid that he was a premature cancer in waiting. Btw, i wonder how the Bengals are reacting on their forum. Anyone care to bring that up here? :flap:

I think the "character issue" was referring to his college career.

He didn't play his senior year because of academic eligibility. It's the reason the Steelers were able to snag him as an UDFA

ricksteelers55
04-18-2009, 12:53 AM
that's just plain wrong.. Davenport was horrible at picking up short yardage.. Russell became pretty damn reliable in those situations at the end of the season.. that and he was our most consistent kick returner.. he may not have the speed to take one all the way, but he consistently got us to the 30 or better on every return. i am not saying the Steelers are wrong for cutting him, i just would like to know what made them cut him now.

Horrible? maybe you didnt know that Dookie was 8 for 9 in 3rd and 1 situation in 2007 season.Yeah 8 for 9...the only one he didnt convert was against New England when we got torched.

And pleaseeeeeeeee stop saying Russell was reliable on short yardage as he got stuffed in the backfield more than he ever got the first down or touchdowns(except for SB).The only real good game he had was the W against San Diego,but SD had terrible Run D against us this year so there's no point.

CantStop85
04-18-2009, 01:12 AM
We got Gary Russell! You guys are screwed now. :flap:

:coffee:

Not the hugest fan of Gary Russell personally, I'm still hoping for a 3rd or 4th round RB.

Rek
04-18-2009, 01:44 AM
They got 3 RBs, so this isn't a big loss. Best of luck GR, glad you got the first TD of Super Bowl 43.

jev7452
04-18-2009, 02:35 AM
i called this!! not a big deal, easilyy replaced

The Duke
04-18-2009, 05:25 AM

:coffee:

Not the hugest fan of Gary Russell personally, I'm still hoping for a 3rd or 4th round RB.

hey sorry man, but you guys could have taken kuhn away from the packers and failed to do it. Russell is just your consolation prize

I feel your pain :chuckle:

IamTheSteelGod
04-18-2009, 07:15 AM
They will end up resigning him when Duce Mendenhall gets injured again.

GBMelBlount
04-18-2009, 07:20 AM

You logged on to Steelersfever at 2 am to "taunt" us about Russell.

I Gotta admit Dan, you got me chuckling. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
04-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Gary Russell to the Bungholes. :toofunny:

Rek
04-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Gary Russell to the Bungholes. :toofunny:

Sadly, that would be a huge talent boost for them.

St33lersguy
04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Gary Russell to the bungholes? I really feel bad for him. If he stays long enough he'll probably join Chad Ochostinko in the "I want out of cinci" club

Steelman16
04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
You logged on to Steelersfever at 2 am to "taunt" us about Russell.

I Gotta admit Dan, you got me chuckling. :chuckle:

Kinda reminds me of this 'Living Legend' we know.... :laughing:

IamTheSteelGod
04-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Lol! Duce Mendenhall? Someone misses the Deuce Staley days....

No I really don't but I do believe that is where Mendhall is heading. I did say on here when we drafted him that he wouldn't be that productive and he would get injured. Waste of a 1st rounder i think.:doh:

steelwall
04-18-2009, 10:01 AM
yeah congrats...managed to pick up or 4th string RB........

mcopenhaver
04-18-2009, 10:18 AM
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2009/04/17/0417bengals.html?sid=101

The Bengals have claimed Walnut Ridge product Gary Russell off waivers from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A third-year player, Russell served on special teams and as the Steelers' main short-yardage runner. He scored a touchdown in Pittsburgh's Super Bowl victory over Arizona.

Russell has run for 98 yards in 35 carries as a pro. He signed with Pittsburgh as a rookie free agent after leaving the University of Minnesota because of deficient grades.

Steelman16
04-18-2009, 10:19 AM
No I really don't but I do believe that is where Mendhall is heading. I did say on here when we drafted him that he wouldn't be that productive and he would get injured. Waste of a 1st rounder i think.:doh:

How does one injury, in a rookie season no less, define a player's career? :noidea:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-18-2009, 10:26 AM

if he doesn't do a better job of holding onto the ball we'll be calling him Warren Williams...

BlastFurnace
04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
if he doesn't do a better job of holding onto the ball we'll be calling him Warren Williams...

...or the next Richard Huntley...just kidding!

fansince'76
04-18-2009, 12:25 PM
How does one injury, in a rookie season no less, define a player's career? :noidea:

C'mon now, you know the drill - if a first or second rounder doesn't play like a future HoFer from day one and/or they get injured as a rookie, they're automatically a BUST. :coffee:

MACH1
04-18-2009, 12:34 PM
KUHN....:chuckle:

BlastFurnace
04-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Why so many doubters?

No one really doubts the kid has tremendous ability. We're all pulling for him. It's just a matter waiting and seeing what happens.

BlastFurnace
04-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Uh, then what's THIS supposed to mean?

:dang:

I was kidding Mr. Sensitive. Good Grief.

I edited the previous post to satisfy you.

Steelman16
04-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I was kidding Mr. Sensitive. Good Grief.

I edited the previous post to satisfy you.

Good grief we need a sarcasm smilie!

:rolleyes:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-18-2009, 06:22 PM
If anyone's curious what the Bengal fans think, here's what a handful of them say on one of the Bengal forums.

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=47949

check out post #16 ... made me laugh because it's the same question i've been asking myself.

when will the steelers stop putting slow-afoot rb's at the kick returner position?

SteelersinCA
04-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I have high hopes for Logan with this release, maybe the Steelers saw something in mini camp they liked???

lilyoder6
04-18-2009, 07:56 PM
i'm hoping logan will be a good returner as well..

just too crowded of a backfield here in pittsburgh...

i still think it's too crowded

X-Terminator
04-18-2009, 08:35 PM
C'mon now, you know the drill - if a first or second rounder doesn't play like a future HoFer from day one and/or they get injured as a rookie, they're automatically a BUST. :coffee:

Yeah, pretty much. It all goes back to what I always say about Steelers fans - that they have absolutely NO patience whatsoever. Mendenhall hasn't even had the chance to prove himself yet, and apparently the "fans" aren't willing to give him one. Nice. :coffee:

Here are 2 names that I'd like to mention that have something in common:

Troy Polamalu
Ben Roethlisberger

Both were declared "busts," can't get the job done in the big game, and/or should be traded immediately for some never-will-be. :doh:

Thank GOD none of these guys are actually running the team. We'd be worse than the Redskins or Raiders.

SteelMember
04-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Quick hits

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said RB Gary Russell was released last week to make room under the salary cap to re-sign backup QB Charlie Batch. ... Jared Retkofsky, who became the Steelers' long snapper last season after Greg Warren's ACL was torn, has his right arm in a sling following surgery after a motorcycle accident. Warren snapped in practice yesterday. ... Also practicing after 2008 season-ending injuries were RB Rashard Mendenhall (broken shoulder), P Daniel Sepulveda (ACL) and Batch (broken collar bone).

motorcycle accident? :doh: What's going on here?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09111/964301-66.stm

lilyoder6
04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
jeff was trying to do his best impersonation of ben

Steel Head
04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Here are 2 names that I'd like to mention that have something in common:

Troy Polamalu
Ben Roethlisberger

Both were declared "busts," can't get the job done in the big game, and/or should be traded immediately for some never-will-be. :doh:.

I dont remember Big Ben ever being called a 'bust' :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2009, 08:40 AM
I have high hopes for Logan with this release, maybe the Steelers saw something in mini camp they liked??? Yeah, when I think of Arians previous teams, Logan fits that Jameel White kind of 3rd down back with quick feet mold. I think the only way he makes the team is as a KR for now. Its not like the Steelers #4 RB ever gets much time on the field.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Quick hits

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said RB Gary Russell was released last week to make room under the salary cap to re-sign backup QB Charlie Batch. ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09111/964301-66.stm

Thanks. Now most can end this......he must have done something wrong, hypothesis. Good luck Gary. Keep in touch like Dookie did last year.

fansince'76
04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I dont remember Big Ben ever being called a 'bust' :noidea:

You've never been around here after a loss, then.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Yeah, I guess he never read any posts from Machavelia (sp)

Steelman16
04-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I guess he never read any posts from Machavelia (sp)

:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
04-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Ben was called a bust more then once on here.

lilyoder6
04-22-2009, 09:01 AM

doesn't that still happen if the steelers don't win by double digits??

steelwall
04-22-2009, 09:08 AM
doesn't that still happen if the steelers don't win by double digits??

I still wish I could find that post where one of "our" guys said he'd take Flacco over Ben anyday..... :doh:

Seriously it was happening last season even after wins all the time....

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I still wish I could find that post where one of "our" guys said he'd take Flacco over Ben anyday..... :doh:.

that is friggin blasphemy :mad:

BlastFurnace
04-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Serious question: This thread has over 3000 views and over 100 replies...has Russell approached Kuhn status yet?

BlastFurnace
04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks. Now most can end this......he must have done something wrong, hypothesis. Good luck Gary. Keep in touch like Dookie did last year.

He may not have done anything wrong, but what Colbert said was not the only reason Russell was let go. Read the link below. Wexell is a very credible source.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Steely McSmash
04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
He may not have done anything wrong, but what Colbert said was not the only reason Russell was let go. Read the link below. Wexell is a very credible source.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

From the comments:

That would explain why the Bengals were so quick to nab him...
:rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Serious question: This thread has over 3000 views and over 100 replies...has Russell approached Kuhn status yet?

There is only ONE

KUHN!!!!!!