PDA

View Full Version : #3 and #4 WR options

flasteeler
04-17-2009, 07:14 AM
I know that we expect Limas Sweed to continue to develop and eventually move into the #3 role behind Hines and Holmes. I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on who they should add via free agency or the draft to compete with Sweed for the #3 spot.

I know Boldin and a few other decent WR's are out there. Boldin has alot of talent, but we don't really need a #1 WR. If Ward takes a "hometown discount" contract to retire a Steeler, he will move down the depth chart to a #3 possession reciever. Holmes will move to #1, but we need to groom a new #2.

Any thoughts?

MDSteel15
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Sweed

steelwall
04-17-2009, 08:01 AM
I know that we expect Limas Sweed to continue to develop and eventually move into the #3 role behind Hines and Holmes. I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on who they should add via free agency or the draft to compete with Sweed for the #3 spot.

I know Boldin and a few other decent WR's are out there. Boldin has alot of talent, but we don't really need a #1 WR. If Ward takes a "hometown discount" contract to retire a Steeler, he will move down the depth chart to a #3 possession reciever. Holmes will move to #1, but we need to groom a new #2.

Any thoughts?

:noidea: when did all this happen?

I say just throw more passes to Miller.......

The Duke
04-17-2009, 08:12 AM

this :thumbsup:

he's probably gonna have more targets than sweed anyway. Plus he's on a contract year, I see a huge season coming for heath

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
well sweed will still get a lot of touches.. as BA likes to run 3 wr formations...

KeiselPower99
04-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Holmes
Ward
Sweed
Baker
Vance

flasteeler
04-17-2009, 10:19 AM
"If Ward takes a "hometown discount" contract to retire a Steeler, he will move down the depth chart to a #3 possession reciever. Holmes will move to #1, but we need to groom a new #2."

I was saying if....Hines is in a contract year next year, and the Steelers don't have a history of signing 33 year old FA's to big contracts...which I don't blame them for.

I'd like to see Baker and Nance get some touches this season. I haven't heard much about Baker, and like you guys said, BA likes 3 WR sets.

SteelStang
04-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I've wondered about this situation... It would not surprise me in the least to see us grab a WR if a top one is still there in the 1st/2nd round (unlikely, but who knows?) I would really like to have some faith in Sweed, but I just don't think it is going to happen for him. He seems absolutely lost out there. I really hope I'm wrong.

srk173
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I've wondered about this situation... It would not surprise me in the least to see us grab a WR if a top one is still there in the 1st/2nd round (unlikely, but who knows?) I would really like to have some faith in Sweed, but I just don't think it is going to happen for him. He seems absolutely lost out there. I really hope I'm wrong.

so did burress and ward there rookie year

SteelersinCA
04-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Dixon.

aclark99
04-17-2009, 10:45 AM
With the release of Russell, Dixon might be used as the next "Slash type" player. Steelers did bring in Nate Davis yesterday. Dixon might be used as a WR. I beleive Sweed will be a great player for the Steelers. Ward is grooming him. As for a first round selection, I believe it will be a OL or Jarron Gilbert DE.

FearTroy43
04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
say if percy harvin were to drop in the first round and be available at 32, should we take him? i say yes. i go to UF and have seen him on a weekly basis the past 3 years. hes an electrifying player. i know wr is not our biggest need by any means, but if hes there, he is definitely the best player available. he could instantly improve special teams while grooming into a top wideout. the only reason i see him dropping is bc of the drug test which he apparently tested positive for marijuana...but we like wideouts who smoke, aka santoniooooo

SteelMember
04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
What?

Nobody mention Brandon Williams? :chuckle:

Wasn't he our NFL Europe practice squad exception? :noidea:

SteelStang
04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
so did burress and ward there rookie year

Seriously? Burress could have gone out there after 3 hours of this :smoker: and not looked as lost as Sweed.

Like I said, I WANT the guy to do well and be our #3.

Preacher
04-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Seriously? Burress could have gone out there after 3 hours of this :smoker: and not looked as lost as Sweed.

WHAT?? Look lost?

You mean the same guy that in his first year, with just a few plays to his name, was able to go out and create space against some of the top defenses out there?

:doh:

For the MILLIONTH time...

GAME SPEED. They ALL have to adjust to it. then there is PLAYOFF SPEED which takes another adjustment. Sweed came in WITHOUT the opportunity to adjust to gamespeed, and jumped into a game played at PLAYOFF SPEED... AND CREATED SEPARATION. That is NOT being lost. That is actually, Quite remarkable. The speed caught up to him when he mistimed the catch.

WWP
04-17-2009, 03:37 PM

I totally agree...even though the way they use the tight ends now is improved from how they were using them just a few years back, Miller still could be utilized even more. He is an underrated, top tight end in the league and catches everything thrown his way.

steelerdave1969
04-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Holmes
Ward
Sweed
Baker
Vance
With this list in site, I know the Steelers are destined to take a WR in the first 3 or 4 rounds for sure. Baker and Vance have proven nothing, and Sweed has just shown so far that he is Stone Cold when it comes to hands, good thing he can block I guess..

Carolina Steelers
04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
"If Ward takes a "hometown discount" contract to retire a Steeler, he will move down the depth chart to a #3 possession reciever. Holmes will move to #1, but we need to groom a new #2."

I was saying if....Hines is in a contract year next year, and the Steelers don't have a history of signing 33 year old FA's to big contracts...which I don't blame them for.

I'd like to see Baker and Nance get some touches this season. I haven't heard much about Baker, and like you guys said, BA likes 3 WR sets.

I understand what your saying Hines is getting old but a #3 i dont think so. Hines is still our #1 rec. he had a great year this year. Holmes had a great Postseason but lets see if he carries that into this season.

Last year stats

Ward 82 rec. 1047 yds
Holmes 55 rec. 821
Miller 48 rec. 514

Give It To Abercrombie
04-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Burress was a useless turd his rookie year. Sweed will be just fine. See Preacher's post, I agree just don't want to type that much.

Michael Keller
04-17-2009, 09:02 PM
sweed

St33lersguy
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM
The Steelers should draft a WR at some point & create competition between Vance, Sweed, Baker, & draft pick

MDSteel15
04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Okay, just to let all you GM's know, it's Martin NANCE!!!! not Vance..... :hatsoff:

BehindSteelCurtain
04-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I think this is the perfect time to transit Dixon into a WR. We have holes at WR and this his his/our chance.

ricksteelers55
04-18-2009, 12:46 AM
The Steelers should draft a WR at some point & create competition between Vance, Sweed, Baker, & draft pick

Vance? Never heard of Martin Vance...Ive heard of Martin Nance,the WR from Miami(Ohio) who was Big Ben's favorite target

Galax Steeler
04-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Sweed will be the man he will improve dramaticly this year. Then so many people won't be down on him.

Statik
04-20-2009, 10:06 AM
The speed caught up to him when he was watching himself on the scoreboard and not looking the ball into his hands.

Fixed

SteelStang
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
What have you guys seen that makes you think Sweed can be the guy at #3? I've seen a good block and that's it.

Oh, and if they are so comfortable with him why the rumors of Parrish coming from Buffalo? And don't tell me it is just for PR and KR purposes.

MDSteel15
04-20-2009, 11:06 AM
What have you guys seen that makes you think Sweed can be the guy at #3? I've seen a good block and that's it.

Oh, and if they are so comfortable with him why the rumors of Parrish coming from Buffalo? And don't tell me it is just for PR and KR purposes.

That is the only reason, KR/PR.... He is nothing as a WR so why can't that be it? :noidea:

SteelersTilIDie
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Holmes
Ward
Sweed
Baker
Vance

We cut Baker...I think, if we get Roscoe:
1. Holmes
2. Ward
3. Sweed
4. Parrish
5. Nance

TampaSteelerFan
04-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Yea, Dallas Baker= yet another Gator wideout who lit it up in college but can't cut it in the NFL. He is a practice squad lifer.

It sucks to be what ever team drafts Percy Harvin!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Holmes
Ward
Sweed
Nance
Furrey
............is my guess.

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
furrey on a 1 year vet minimum deal to revitalize his career would be akin to landing leftwich for only $605,000 and being a solid backup. typical brainy steelers move.

i wasnt aware of r. parrish cap hit. i figured he was still on his rookie deal.