View Full Version : Raising the curtain - Steeler LB Woodley praises teammates

mesaSteeler
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Raising the curtain
Steeler LB Woodley praises teammates
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/518177.html

By Todd Irwin, tirwin@altoonamirror.com
POSTED: April 17, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley had three or four warmup tosses before he took the mound for the first pitch of the Curve's 2009 home opener.

It didn't help him.

Woodley looked toward Curve catcher Hector Gimenez, went into his windup on a perfect April evening at Blair County Ballpark and uncorked one of the worst first pitches in baseball history.

The ball landed in the grass in front of the home plate area and rolled into the dirt. Woodley, possibly shocked by his effort, windmilled his right arm after the pitch.

"The thing about the pitch was," Woodley said with a pause as media members laughed, "that I didn't have my spikes on. I had basketball shoes on. I couldn't dig into the ground, so I slipped a little bit.

"Then the guy we were throwing the pitch to, we wanted to walk him because we didn't want him to hit a home run."

Woodley was asked if he was possibly bothered by the imaginary runners on the bases.

"I checked the runners out," he said during his four-minute stay with the media, "but when I went to throw it, I slipped."

"I wasn't expecting a good throw, but I wasn't expecting that really bad throw," Gimenez said laughing. "I think he was just having fun out there."

Good thing he's set as an NFL linebacker.

Woodley, who signed a bunch of autographs at the main concourse for about an hour of the Curve's 3-0 loss, was key in the Steelers' run to the Super Bowl XLIII, where they beat the Arizona Cardinals, 27-23.

In his second season in the NFL, Woodley had 11.5 sacks, made 60 tackles, forced two fumbles and intercepted a pass. He now holds the record for most consecutive playoff games with multiple sacks.

"It was the guys around me," said Woodley, who was a second-round pick out of Michigan in the 2007 draft. "When you've got good guys around you, good athletes around you, you can go out there and show people the kind of talent you have."

One of the athletes around him was fellow linebacker and NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison, who recently signed a six-year contract worth over $51 million.

"That guy comes to work every day," Woodley said. "He's the first one in the weight room and the last guy out. He watches extra film every day. He doesn't say much, but he works every day in practice to keep those guys motivated."

Woodley and Harrison will be key in attempting to get the Steelers back to the Super Bowl. A lot is expected of the six-time Super Bowl champs.

"I wasn't here in '05 when we won the Super Bowl, but that following year we didn't make the playoffs," Woodley said. "We definitely don't want to repeat that again this year. So, we're going to come in ready to play and compete for another Super Bowl.

"When I've won before different championships, coming into the following season, everybody's got a target on your back. Playing for Pittsburgh, you've got a target on your back anyway.

"You want to come into the season better because the fans are going to expect more, and you should expect more out of yourself. I definitely want to have that feeling again of winning that Super Bowl because the parade was one of the best I've ever seen."

After having one of the hardest schedules in the league last season, the Steelers are playing only five teams in 2009 that had winning records last season. Woodley downplayed that Thursday night.

"I think it's going to be a tough schedule," Woodley said. "Any team in the NFL is tough regardless of how people are ranked in the schedule. A lot of people didn't see us as a good team last year, and we proved everybody wrong."

MasterOfPuppets
04-17-2009, 09:29 PM
another 11 or 12 sack season could put woodley's next contract out of the steelers ball park.....:doh:

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 10:05 PM
i would hope so.. the man will be asking for a huge contract like harrison

chucoblack&gold
04-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Woodley is one helluva player, I wouldn't want to lose this guy to free agency:banging:

tony hipchest
04-18-2009, 12:05 AM
im glad i scored 1 of his high end autographed rookie cards for $5 offa ebay last summer. :thumbsup:

another 11 or 12 sack season could put woodley's next contract out of the steelers ball park.....:doh:

this is easy... get hines, willie, and starks off the books = $20 mil plus the $7 mil of dead money. figure in about $10 mil of cap increase and *BOOM* $37 mil. :danceshout: (give ward $4.5 mil to stay)

MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2009, 01:54 AM
im glad i scored 1 of his high end autographed rookie cards for $5 offa ebay last summer. :thumbsup:

this is easy... get hines, willie, and starks off the books = $20 mil plus the $7 mil of dead money. figure in about $10 mil of cap increase and *BOOM* $37 mil. :danceshout: (give ward $4.5 mil to stay)then figure in holmes, miller, clark, and whoever else might need extended in the next 2 years, and it don't look good... as colbert always says....you can't keep everybody....:doh:

steelwall
04-18-2009, 02:02 AM
This guy is a keeper, we need to do what ever it takes to make sure he's on our side of the feild.....

tony hipchest
04-18-2009, 02:37 AM
then figure in holmes, miller, clark, and whoever else might need extended in the next 2 years, and it don't look good... as colbert always says....you can't keep everybody....:doh:thats why we draft the likes of mendenhall and sweed, who according to some experts were the best prospects in their class.

see woodley- did we really need to spend a #2 on him when we already addressed LB with our 1st? round pick in that years draft?

and even though he has become 1 of my favorite steelers, i think clark has earned his "chris hope" like "Titan" payday. it wont be with the steelers though.

hope was a "nobody" when drafted and was replaced by a "nobody" when he left.

...and the beat goes on....

:noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2009, 02:44 AM
thats why we draft the likes of mendenhall and sweed, who according to some experts were the best prospects in their class.

see woodley- did we really need to spend a #2 on him when we already addressed LB with our 1st? round pick in that years draft?

and even though he has become 1 of my favorite steelers, i think clark has earned his "chris hope" like "Titan" payday. it wont be with the steelers though.

hope was a "nobody" when drafted and was replaced by a "nobody" when he left.

...and the beat goes on....

:noidea:its just unfortunate, we got those players, by sacrificing the oline...:doh:

tony hipchest
04-18-2009, 03:02 AM
its just unfortunate, we got those players, by sacrificing the oline...:doh:
a great rb probably gets tackled 15-20 times a game.

a great qb like ben probably looks at those numbers and says 50 tackles (some people call them "sacks") in an entire year, aint shit to me.

:noidea: *fingers crossed*

MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2009, 04:58 AM
a great rb probably gets tackled 15-20 times a game.

a great qb like ben probably looks at those numbers and says 50 tackles (some people call them "sacks") in an entire year, aint shit to me.

:noidea: *fingers crossed*but running backs KNOW they're gonna get him, and can angle away to lessen the blow. i'd say more qb's get concunsions per year than rb's.......:noidea:

Galax Steeler
04-18-2009, 06:51 AM
When Woodleys contract come up I hope he wants to stay in the Burgh. He could raise havoc on quarterbacks for years to come.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Masterof puppets,

You mean sacrificing bigben, lol

I dont think the current online sacrfices much, they eat well, paid better than anyone else. BB should take them out to lunch for swiss cheese sandwhiches and explain to them, you are not what you eat anymore.

BB praised them all season. Not one called them out. Than came the superbowl and the media FINALLY called them out every day, every interview. There was no running from it, they could not hide from it. They were told to put up or shut up. they did rise up. But when someone passes them on a rush, they all give up.
However this draft best put us with an ol player in the first as we are not going on th emarket to over pay, ever for that position. If there is a big talent still available by than, my feeling is the Steelers will change gears again like we did with Mendenhal

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-19-2009, 05:43 AM
I really think Woodley has the best personality and persona of any draft pick we've made in the last decade or two. His correspondence piece on Jim Rome is Burning was awesome, I really recommend it to any who's a fan of the Steelers or is curious about the Steelers locker room.

Woodley is signed through the 2010 season. I'm thinking by that point Parker will either be a #2 back or no longer with the team, Clark will have moved on (and been replaced by someone much cheaper and slightly worse), Miller will be in the early stages of his contract (and Ben getting close to the late :banging:), and Hampton, Townsend, Aaron Smith, Starks, and Ward either gone or with a different, less impactful contract.

We're set to lose a lot of vets by 2010, and have locked up a lot of our big money guys with long contracts. I think Woodley will be a workable priority by then.

paw-n-maul-u
04-20-2009, 02:31 AM
I can't imagine woodley leaving. He has a chance to be one of the faces of this franchise for the next 7-9 years or maybe more.

How many other teams is he going to get one on one's with TE's and RT's because the guy rushing opposite is the DPOY. Maybe if he were paired with D. Ware.

I really think that ... with what Ben did this year, with all of his comebacks, his poise, now his growing resume. I mean he is a bullet train headed for the HOF and anyone lucky enough to catch a ride should feel more than privileged. Woodley is going to cash in big and it'll be with the steelers, just not as much as jerry jones might throw at him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
but running backs KNOW they're gonna get him, and can angle away to lessen the blow. i'd say more qb's get concunsions per year than rb's.......:noidea:

True. I think RB's like Earl Campbell, Walter Peyton, Bettis, Ricky Watters, etc. always finished runs going forward, but didnt suffer concussions..............unlike QB's that get their heads bounced off the turf when somebody gets a shot at them standing up like a tackling dummy.

Steel Head
04-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Without a salary cap, players are not eligible to become an unrestricted free agent untill they are in the NFL for 6 years.

We still have plenty of years of Woodley left

lilyoder6
04-20-2009, 09:28 AM
True. I think RB's like Earl Campbell, Walter Peyton, Bettis, Ricky Watters, etc. always finished runs going forward, but didnt suffer concussions..............unlike QB's that get their heads bounced off the turf when somebody gets a shot at them standing up like a tackling dummy.

or u could of been like barry sanders.. and the man was just a freak of nature.. and if u did tackle him 1 on 1... u were thanking the gods

Southern Steelers
04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
And another thing. Dood. We didnt draft him in the 2nd round in anticipation that he would leave us in like 3-4 years. The FO saw something in him. Let's think positive thoughts. Ochostinko crying, newborn kittycats, a moving truck full of kegs. Whatever works :drink:

Psyycho- were we separated at birth? 85 crying brings out the laughter in me, cats..well we can agree to disagree, but you hit the nail on the head with the kegs!

Woodley should be with us for several more years, we DO reward the best. See Ward, Harrison, Polamalu, and Ben if you need reference material.