PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison For The First Time After Signing Newly Restructured Contract

mesaSteeler
04-17-2009, 09:27 PM
James Harrison For The First Time After Signing Newly Restructured Contract
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/
N584356236_1159201_7521_tiny by Blitzburgh on Apr 17, 2009 1:00 PM EDT Comment 7 comments

On Tuesday, we celebrated all things James 'Deebo' Harrison after he restructured his contract in a far more equitable way for a player who was the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year. On Thursday, Harrison joined Dan Patrick on his daily radio show to talk about the new deal, his interesting back story, why he enjoys being in Pittsburgh. I have transcribed much of the interview below. Good stuff from Deebo, who seems to me to be a far better dude than people perceive him to be from the outside looking in.

On how he handled being cut by the Steelers after getting a meager $5,000 signing bonus as an undrafted rookie free agent:

"The bonus, that was the most money I'd seen in my life. I thought I was rich then but on getting cut, I didn't take it hard or cry about it or anything. I figured I'd go back and try to improve whatever it was that I felt got me cut."

On who should be the highest paid defensive player on the Steelers:

"James Harrison [laughing]"

What does Troy Polamalu think about that:

"Troy, he doesn't care about money. He likes to sit back, go to church and read the Bible so he doesn't really care about money. He's just happy to be here, as I am. Troy could have gone out and gotten a whole lot more money than he did, but a lot of the guys just want to stay here."

On who is more intense, Coach Tomlin or former Steelers head guy, Bill Cowher - at least in terms of emotional outbursts:

"Rage?? Coach Cowher. There's no hesitation about that one."

After DP joked that Cowher would probably run out there and try to be a wedge buster on special teams even at this age:

"Oh yeah, easy. I don't know if he'd go bust a wedge but he'd go try though. He might get bounced back up out of there."

On who the best player from Kent State, his alma mater, is in NFL history:

"Jack Lambert."

He doesn't think he's surpassed him yet?

"Oh no, that guy did it big for a long time. I think I need two or three more Super Bowls; four or five more Pro Bowls. Thats going to be something that's terribly hard to do.."

mesaSteeler
04-17-2009, 10:45 PM
I do like the respect that Harrison showed for Lambert.

Rek
04-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Glad to see the fame isn't going to his head. :wink02:

lilyoder6
04-17-2009, 11:09 PM
would of been funny if james would of talked bout troy and he just wants all the hair products he can get

BehindSteelCurtain
04-18-2009, 01:04 AM
James Harrison For The First Time After Signing Newly Restructured Contract
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/
N584356236_1159201_7521_tiny by Blitzburgh on Apr 17, 2009 1:00 PM EDT Comment 7 comments

On Tuesday, we celebrated all things James 'Deebo' Harrison after he restructured his contract in a far more equitable way for a player who was the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year. On Thursday, Harrison joined Dan Patrick on his daily radio show to talk about the new deal, his interesting back story, why he enjoys being in Pittsburgh. I have transcribed much of the interview below. Good stuff from Deebo, who seems to me to be a far better dude than people perceive him to be from the outside looking in.

On how he handled being cut by the Steelers after getting a meager $5,000 signing bonus as an undrafted rookie free agent:

"The bonus, that was the most money I'd seen in my life. I thought I was rich then but on getting cut, I didn't take it hard or cry about it or anything. I figured I'd go back and try to improve whatever it was that I felt got me cut."

On who should be the highest paid defensive player on the Steelers:

"James Harrison [laughing]"

What does Troy Polamalu think about that:

"Troy, he doesn't care about money. He likes to sit back, go to church and read the Bible so he doesn't really care about money. He's just happy to be here, as I am. Troy could have gone out and gotten a whole lot more money than he did, but a lot of the guys just want to stay here."

On who is more intense, Coach Tomlin or former Steelers head guy, Bill Cowher - at least in terms of emotional outbursts:

"Rage?? Coach Cowher. There's no hesitation about that one."

After DP joked that Cowher would probably run out there and try to be a wedge buster on special teams even at this age:

"Oh yeah, easy. I don't know if he'd go bust a wedge but he'd go try though. He might get bounced back up out of there."

On who the best player from Kent State, his alma mater, is in NFL history:

"Jack Lambert."

He doesn't think he's surpassed him yet?

"Oh no, that guy did it big for a long time. I think I need two or three more Super Bowls; four or five more Pro Bowls. Thats going to be something that's terribly hard to do.."

That's the kind of mentality that the Steelers have. I think if they feel that a player is getting caught up in himself they simply don't re-sign him. Which leaves me questions about Santonio when his contract is up.

Galax Steeler
04-18-2009, 07:59 AM
I would like to see if he can improve from last year and if he does look out.

lilyoder6
04-18-2009, 05:21 PM
i think he needs to work on his angles.. then he would even be better

austinfrench76
04-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Troy doesnt care about money, he just wants to go to church! LOL!

Preacher
04-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Anyone see, in that comment about Troy P., a WHOLE lot of backhanded complement and respect? Sure he is joking and poking at him, but that respect leaks out.

tony hipchest
04-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Anyone see, in that comment about Troy P., a WHOLE lot of backhanded complement and respect? Sure he is joking and poking at him, but that respect leaks out.

:yep: although i didnt see it as backhanded. i saw it as brutal honesty. maybe he was poking at him, but he certainly wasnt joking.

i also find it ironic that the sb champ steelers arent flooding the commercial market, yet it is troy who is one of the most marketable players in the nfl.

him and ladainians nike commercial last year was far and away the best, and him replacing mean joe greene in the coke commercial is an accolade any athelete would enjoy.

and that was before he won his second ring. :thumbsup:

kudos to troy who is strong in his faith, and james as well (who seems so strong in it, he will bitchslap his babby momma over the christening of their child).

GBMelBlount
04-19-2009, 08:50 AM

What do I take away from the story of James Harrison?

He's lived the dream.

He looked adversity in the eye and NEVER gave up.

That is why I greatly respect both him and his accomplishments.

Not just where he is now, but how far he's traveled to get there.....

This guy is Steeler tough and an incredibly inspiring story..

scsteeler
04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
I loved the fact that James stated that he wants to be here in Pittsburgh like and Troy and a lot of other players. While Troy may not be the highest paid player as far as salary I bet he is getting a lot of extra money in the form of endorsements and his marketability.

I just have a feeling this Steeler Team will start another dynasty chapter by winning 2 or more super bowls in the next 5 years.

stlrtruck
04-20-2009, 08:27 AM
And one more thing.....

Deebo laughs?!?!?!

I've heard rumors that he laughs about 4-5 times per year.

I'm not sure though, it could have been a pre-recorded laugh from when he was a child!