PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may trade for Roscoe Parrish

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Pittsburgh Steeler report: Source says trade for Bills wide receiver possible
April 19, 3:12 AM

PITTSBURGH - Could the release of Gary Russell signify something else? Like a potential draft day trade is in the works for a return man?

According to an NFL source, the Bills have been in talks about dealing wide receiver Roscoe Parrish to the Steelers.

The reason the deal would be logical, is twofold. First he is a proven wide receiver, (something the team needs with the loss of Nate Washington) but of more importance is what he can do as a return man.

Parrish not only is good, he has been the best the past two years. He led the NFL with a 16.3-yard average in 2007 and a 15.3-yard average in 2008 on punts. He also has reached the endzone and the past three seasons has scored on returns. Parrish also has a career mark of 23.7 on kickoffs.

Buffalo selected Parrish in the second round of the 2005 draft with the 55th pick. He has six starts in four seasons, catching 97 passes for 1,052 yards and five touchdowns.

If there is a downside, it’s he stands just 5-foot-9, 168 pounds, not exactly the wanted size of a starting receiver in the NFL. His career average per catch is just over ten yards, but the source said Parrish could make a good No. 3 slot man if put in the right situation.

There is also one character flaw which may come into play. On Feb. 17, he was stopped in Miami and cited for DUI. It came a month prior to Browns receiver Donte Stallworth killing a pedestrian, also in Miami.

The source said the Bills are looking for a draft pick or picks for Parrish.

RUSSELL PICKED UP BY BENGALS

Gary Russell didn't stay on the enemployment line very long. On Saturday, a day after being released by the Steelers he was signed by the Bengals.

According to the Bengalswebsite, Cincy had pursued Russell as a college free agent after the 2006 draft before he signed with Pittsburgh. A native of Ohio, they Bengals were interested in Russell because he played in a University of Minnesota backfield that included NFL starters Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber.
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d19-Pittsburgh-Steeler-report-Source-says-trade-for-Bills-wide-receiver-possible

Steelman16
04-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Well, we have the draft picks, but I say....

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Preacher
04-19-2009, 01:13 PM
For a fifth or a sixth, I wouldn't mind it. How many times have we had a swing and a miss on 3 and 4th picks? So we pick this guy up, give him a opportunity to prove himself here. If he turns out to be a cancer in the locker room or an off field distraction, we cut him, just like we would ANY 5th or 6th round pick that causes problems. Since it is a trade, we pick up the salary, but not the signing bonus he got. So we make out pretty dang well IMO.

tyler289
04-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Getting a proven receiver and a proven return man is a steal for a 5th or 6th round pick. Those picks likely do not make the team.

Galax Steeler
04-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I would not mind seeing them trade for him as long as they don't give up to much to get him.

The Duke
04-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Most late picks seem to fail anyway, so why not take the chance. just one thing though....

First he is a proven wide receiver,

No, he's not

Russell's release gave me big hopes for logan, but now this makes me wonder....

Fire Haley
04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
So why didn't we offer them Gary Russell?

X-Terminator
04-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I say make the deal. Yeah, his DUI was stupid and irresponsible, but I think being around strong figures like Coach Tomlin, Hines and Troy will keep him in line. The Steelers wouldn't try to trade for him if they didn't think that. An electric return man is something this team has desperately needed since Randle El left.

Fire Haley
04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
If there is a downside, itís he stands just 5-foot-9, 168 pounds, not exactly the wanted size of a starting receiver in the NFL

DUH!

He's not gonna be a WR - strictly a KR.

It's a luxury the SB Champs can afford, our window is NOW.

lilyoder6
04-19-2009, 04:20 PM
i wouldn't mind giving away a later pick for his services

hindes204
04-19-2009, 05:16 PM
He is a great return guy...and i wouldnt down the guy, saying things like he may be a cancer in the locker room just because he got a DUI...while i understand a DUI is a serious charge, i believe people should be given second chances, if this is the only blemish on his record, than i have no problem with him being a steeler

St33lersguy
04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Wait for the Bills to release him. If the Bills want to trade him they don't want him, so common logic says at some point he will be released. This hapoens all the time, a team wants to trade a player, gets no offer & he gets released that way the Steelers lose nothing but a little cap space

BlastFurnace
04-19-2009, 05:20 PM
It's a luxury the SB Champs can afford, our window is NOW.

Exactly. Bring him in, then focus on OL, DL, and Secondary in the draft.

devilsdancefloor
04-19-2009, 05:36 PM
i dont want him id rather see what logan can bring.

Rek
04-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Don't trade for him. Not worth the aggravation. Holmes and Paper-Towel Boxing Champ Jeff Reed are about as much of an off-field problem as I want to handle.

Fire Haley
04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
You don't put your Super Bowl MVP back returning punts with the scrubs blocking, trying to protect himself.

Let Roscoe put his kamikaze act out there, sex it up. Take over Carey Davis' job too, while you're at it.

Can you return better than the 25 on kick-offs?

You're hired!

Vincent
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm old. So please help to understand why we would want someone that is 5-foot-9, 168 pounds for any football related reason, especially when we already have Stephan Logan. OK, any reason at all. Parking. Concessions. Anything.

And why would we release a running back who is 5-11 / 215, AND scored a TD in the most recent Super Bowl :banging: to free a roster spot for this diminutive individual?

Rosco Parrish? Hello???!!!

X-Terminator
04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm old. So please help to understand why we would want someone that is 5-foot-9, 168 pounds for any football related reason, especially when we already have Stephan Logan. OK, any reason at all. Parking. Concessions. Anything.

And why would we release a running back who is 5-11 / 215, AND scored a TD in the most recent Super Bowl :banging: to free a roster spot for this diminutive individual?

Rosco Parrish? Hello???!!!

The difference, of course, is that Parrish has done it in actual NFL games. We know nothing about Logan other than he was a stud in the CFL, which is so far removed from the NFL that it isn't even funny. So how can we be sure that Logan can duplicate that success on the NFL level?

Vincent
04-19-2009, 07:26 PM
The difference, of course, is that Parrish has done it in actual NFL games. We know nothing about Logan other than he was a stud in the CFL, which is so far removed from the NFL that it isn't even funny. So how can we be sure that Logan can duplicate that success on the NFL level?

Why then, did we sign Logan? I could not care less.

The larger question is why we cut Russell.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
the problem that is see is that it doesn't matter who we have returning kicks, they never seem to pan out. appears to me that our scheme sucks, not the talent.

...i'm afraid we bring parrish in and he struggles like all the others. afterall, i can't see this being a big priority for the steelers as we might see casey hampton back there returning kicks one day...

Vincent
04-19-2009, 07:44 PM
we might see casey hampton back there returning kicks one day...

It is that silly.

X-Terminator
04-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Why then, did we sign Logan? I could not care less.

The larger question is why we cut Russell.

Don't think the Bills were looking to trade Parrish at that time. :noidea:

As for cutting Russell, we have some guy named Rashard Mendenhall coming back next year. Assuming he stays healthy, with Parker and MeMo on the depth chart, when was Russell ever going to see the field?

fansince'76
04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Consider the source of this article: Matt Pawlikowski. This is the same numbnut who proclaimed Mike Florio to be a NFL "guru" and that Florio saying the Steelers should trade Harrison was a brilliant idea. :coffee:

Vincent
04-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Oh, good. So this thread is actually a waste of time.

Assuming he stays healthy,

I like Mendy as much as the next guy and really look forward to seeing his 09 campaign, but "assuming" is the operative word here. And in full awareness that this is the subject of another thread, why would they cut Russell now? It makes no sense.

Preacher
04-19-2009, 09:21 PM
LIke I said before, Roster bonus. . . crossing the coaches. . . coming in quite overweight. . .

Lots of those are reasons to cut a player in the offseason. But maybe, the Steelers got the final report and release on Mendy. Ater all, this guy wasn't supposed to be on the roster either way. He is a practice squad player.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
How long does he have left on his contract?

He is signed through 2011. He's scheduled to make $3 Mil in '09, $1.5 Mil in '10 and '11...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=BUF

KeiselPower99
04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I think maybe they are thinking that if they can acquire Parrish and Logan is what we think he can be a stud KR that gives us 2 legit threats on returns.

Steely McSmash
04-19-2009, 10:08 PM

As for cutting Russell, we have some guy named Rashard Mendenhall coming back next year. Assuming he stays healthy, with Parker and MeMo on the depth chart, when was Russell ever going to see the field?

I would assume that they've been thinking about it for a few days before we heard of it if there's any truth to this.

I really don't understand just flat-out releasing Russell unless some news story is about to come out. At least trade the guy for something. IMO he was a consistent performer with a lot of upside. It's not like he's been with the team so long that we owe him something or his salary makes him an unlikely trade target. Even if he's crossed the coaches etc, at least trade the guy -- this is a business.

To your last point, the esteemed Mendenhall Parker and MeMo were on the team last year as well and Gary Russell produced for this team down the stretch.

hindes204
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Russell is gone...no need to keep questioning why, the front office made a decicion and i am behind it...have they ever dissapointed you with a decision they made, its a brilliant front office...as far as parish...same thing, if the front office and coaching staff feels he can be a productive addition to the team then lets get em, see what he can do, our return game sure could use the help

theDOC
04-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm from Buffalo and watch Roscoe every Sunday. He is an electrifying punt returner and is currently the NFL's all-time punt return average leader in history.

As a receiver however, most people would say the Bills never used him to his full potential; that if put into the right system would flourish as a good slot receiver. He won't be a 100+ catches slot Wes Welker but if you put Parrish into open field, watch out.

The Bills are looking at compensation in the 3rd or 4th round, but seeing as how you guys have the 32nd pick in the 3rd round that is possibly what it'll take.

Chances are, the Bills will receive a 5th year and a conditional 5th next year with the possibility of that 2010 5th turning into a 3rd.

wootawnee
04-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Why was Russel on the roster last year and Dookie got the shaft?....I think Dookie was way better than Russel.......I miss Dookie a little....

Steely McSmash
04-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Russell is gone...no need to keep questioning why, the front office made a decicion and i am behind it...have they ever dissapointed you with a decision they made, its a brilliant front office...as far as parish...same thing, if the front office and coaching staff feels he can be a productive addition to the team then lets get em, see what he can do, our return game sure could use the help

By that same token there's no need to post just to say that you support the FO no matter what.

Of course they've dissapointed me in the past.

I certainly agree that the return game needs help, particularly now that they cut the most dependable proven, returner on the team and got nothing in return.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 12:09 AM
By that same token there's no need to post just to say that you support the FO no matter what.

Of course they've dissapointed me in the past.
. :applaudit:

Huey Richardson
Troy Edwards
Kris Farris
Jamain Stevens
Alonzo Jackson
Scott Sheilds
Ricardo Colclough(trading up for him)
Fred Gibson
releasing Hardy Nickerson
Letting Rod Woodson go
Signing Kent Graham
Signing Todd Fordham
, etc.

Always good to question authority, but in the case of Russell or Dookie.....no big deal that the #4 RB is released. If the Saints gave up a 4th round pick for Jonathan Vilma a couple years ago, I think Roscoe Parrish trade would warrant a 6th round pick only.

X-Terminator
04-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Oh, good. So this thread is actually a waste of time.

I like Mendy as much as the next guy and really look forward to seeing his 09 campaign, but "assuming" is the operative word here. And in full awareness that this is the subject of another thread, why would they cut Russell now? It makes no sense.

Russell wouldn't have seen the field last year for any length of time had Mendy not gotten hurt. He would have been 4th on the depth chart and not dressed for any games this season if everyone stayed healthy. They'll just draft or sign another PS back anyway, so what is the big deal with letting him go? Too much is being made about this guy when outside of his TD in the SB, he didn't really do a whole lot last season.

Anyway, enough hijacking. I still don't have a problem with Parrish being brought in and I really don't understand why anyone would. He's a major upgrade over what they had.

SunshineMan21
04-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Parrish is a clear upgrade, but I wouldn't give up more than a fifth or sixth round pick for him.

He's a shifty receiver with crazy speed, and he has a track record as a successful returner. Not worth much, but neither are sixth round picks.

Aussie_steeler
04-20-2009, 03:01 AM
A 5th round CB / KR prospect ( Joe Burnett) and Two late round WR's ( Cherry & Shelton) have been brought in for visits to be looked at as return men, 4th WR's or possibly both.

Giving Buffalo a late 5th round pick would save the risk that would be taken on one or two of these guys being drafted who more than likely wont make the squad. ( maybe practice squad)

For a 5th I think it is a no brainer IMO. Pull the trigger and land a guy who will be the starting return man on opening day.

paw-n-maul-u
04-20-2009, 03:24 AM
honestly, as much as it makes sense ...

Why spend a 5th or so on Parrish if you can spend a 5th on that WR from arizona, who is a Parrish clone. And could potentially offer even more in the passing game.

I doubt this will happen, but if it does, I think the steelers are just trying to put themselves in a position to draft BPA instead of reach for a need like KR/PR. Same with resigning all the offensive line. Roscoe would fill our PR needs, add depth at WR, and give us more flexibility in the draft.

I think a fifth round pick is worth that, but one of the other more recent rummors was that ben might be eventually traded? I'm taking everything I hear from now on with a grain of salt.

Preacher
04-20-2009, 04:26 AM
honestly, as much as it makes sense ...

Why spend a 5th or so on Parrish if you can spend a 5th on that WR from arizona, who is a Parrish clone. And could potentially offer even more in the passing game.

I doubt this will happen, but if it does, I think the steelers are just trying to put themselves in a position to draft BPA instead of reach for a need like KR/PR. Same with resigning all the offensive line. Roscoe would fill our PR needs, add depth at WR, and give us more flexibility in the draft.

I think a fifth round pick is worth that, but one of the other more recent rummors was that ben might be eventually traded? I'm taking everything I hear from now on with a grain of salt.

:rofl::rofl: :link:

I gotta read that one!

Galax Steeler
04-20-2009, 04:35 AM
I would give a 5th for Parish what would we have to loose. Parish might give us what we have been looking for at that position.

Busforever
04-20-2009, 08:05 AM
I think if Roscoe Parrish was eligible on draft and we could pick him in the 5th round, we would be happy. So why not spend our fifth round pick on Roscoe Parrish? For a late round, we are sure to have a valuable player, a proven tremendous KR/PR. Many 5th rounders don't make the team, and it's not as if we were in rebuilt mode.

randy06
04-20-2009, 09:14 AM
I wouldnt be opposed to it....

Rek
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't like the idea of bringing him in. If we need a kick returner, Moore or Mendenhall would be suitable enough to take some of the pressure off Holmesy.

X-Terminator
04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't like the idea of bringing him in. If we need a kick returner, Moore or Mendenhall would be suitable enough to take some of the pressure off Holmesy.

You would honestly rather have one of those guys returning kicks, and possibly killing our RB depth should one or both get hurt, instead of bringing in a game breaker like Parrish? Please explain, because IMO that makes absolutely no sense.

How long have we all complained about the Steelers not having a game-breaker at KR? Here they have a chance to trade for one, and some people object. It's not like they're giving up a 1st round pick for him - a 5th round pick more than likely is not going to make the team, and since they have extra picks to work with, why not make the deal?

Steel_Bus_24
04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I can't really make my mind up.....but I do know I don't like the idea of Holmes back there returning punts and possibly getting hurt.(Despite how good he can be back there)

With Washington gone we don't have as much depth.

So I guess 5th would be ok but nothing lower

lilyoder6
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
after thinking about it for a while..
u still have logan from cfl.. u don't know what he can do.. and rly, the wr and db class in deep this yr and u can find someone who could eventualy play, but could come in from the start and return kicks and punts..

but hey.. we still have carey davis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM

.willie reid was supposed to be a great returner. so much so that we spent a 3rd on him. he was a poor mans santonio holmes, the year we took him.

a 5th round pick has just as much potential to be a bust. parrish is a proven commodity at the nfl level.

rbryan
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
I like Holmes returning punts....just not every punt. Kind of like how Baltimore puts Ed Reed back there when they need a spark.

With two for scores (gotta be a Stiller record??) I'd hate to take him off PR duties altogether.

steelreserve
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Why would we trade a perfectly good draft pick when they're just going to release him anyway? Since the Bills telegraphed their intention, every team in the NFL now knows all they have to do is sit and wait. You're not going to generate some bidding war for a mid-to-low level talent with obvious shortcomings.

fansince'76
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM
....but one of the other more recent rummors was that ben might be eventually traded? I'm taking everything I hear from now on with a grain of salt.

:rofl::rofl: :link:

I gotta read that one!

2:13 to 3:02. According to the so-called "NFL Guru" Mike Florio. :rolleyes:

ol8Pd9oOXks

"....even without Roethlisberger, under Mike Tomlin, this team will still find a way to win more games than it will lose." Sure, the same way it won more games than it lost under Cowher, right, numbnuts? Yeah, I really feel like returning to the days of watching our running game and D get us to the AFCCG or even the SB year after year just to watch another shitty QB throw it away on us again. Thanks anyway. :coffee:

steelerdave1969
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Why would we trade a perfectly good draft pick when they're just going to release him anyway? Since the Bills telegraphed their intention, every team in the NFL now knows all they have to do is sit and wait. You're not going to generate some bidding war for a mid-to-low level talent with obvious shortcomings.

I wouldnt mind at all if the Steelers give the Bills a 5th or 6th rounder for Parrish, but it wouldnt suprise me if the Steelers give them something to get him, he is that good and he is worth giving up a late 5th rounder like they would have to for one of the best return men in the NFL today.... the Steelers would definitely be happy to have that on their side come '09..

Sharkissle29
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
guys roscoe parrish is like a randle el....he isnt good because he doesnt have a good team around him. this is why antwaan was great with us, and next to nothing in washington. i think if we did this move, roscoe will surprise a lot of steeler fans with what he is capable of.....big ben tossing him the ball could be dangerous.

holmes
ward
sweed
parrish
miller

^^ that is DANGEROUS

SteelerFanInCA
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I say if the price is right we should get him. Could be another diamond in the rough.

DACEB
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
What if it will cost a 4th and a 5th?

Fire Haley
04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
It was all a hoax from a blogger.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d19-Pittsburgh-Steeler-report-Source-says-trade-for-Bills-wide-receiver-possible

Even PFT is backtracking

Steelers Interested In Parrish, Or Not?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 10:25 a.m.

Several readers have forwarded to us a link to a report suggesting that the Steelers are one of the potential suitors for receiver/kick returner Roscoe Parrish, who is on the trading block.

A team source tells us that he hasn’t heard of any specific pursuit of Parrish.

It’s unclear whether the Steelers would or should be interested in Parrish.

Next rumor.

Steel Head
04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Next rumor.

I heard we might trade Willie Parker :noidea:

fansince'76
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
It was all a hoax from a blogger.

Even PFT is backtracking

Steelers Interested In Parrish, Or Not?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 10:25 a.m.

Several readers have forwarded to us a link to a report suggesting that the Steelers are one of the potential suitors for receiver/kick returner Roscoe Parrish, who is on the trading block.

A team source tells us that he hasnít heard of any specific pursuit of Parrish.

Itís unclear whether the Steelers would or should be interested in Parrish.

Next rumor.

Like I said....

Consider the source of this article: Matt Pawlikowski. This is the same numbnut who proclaimed Mike Florio to be a NFL "guru" and that Florio saying the Steelers should trade Harrison was a brilliant idea. :coffee:

Wonder who Pawlikowski's "source" was? Probably a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousin of the Bills' groundskeeper or something. :coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Next rumor.

Big Ben actually died in his motorcycle accident ..and the Rooneys were too cheap to sign another QB, so they had him cloned.

DACEB
04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Big Ben actually died in his motorcycle accident ..and the Rooneys were too cheap to sign another QB, so they had him cloned.

I knew it, the nose just wasn't the same. That explains everything.... the clone is very good. Ben still sucks, trade the corpse.

Fire Haley
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
The Draft can't get here fast enough.

Hines0wnz
04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Very intriguing. As good as Santo was late last season on PR, I'd rather him become the ridiculous WR downfield threat that Ben really needs to stretch the field. I dont think his size is a knock because he can obviously play as he has already proven. This could provide some draft day drama, something the Steelers rarely are involved in. heh

SteelersTilIDie
04-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I would even give a fourth for him, b/c special teams is 1/3 of a football game and good field position can make or break games, not to mention his receiving and we don't really need our 4th round pick

DACEB
04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Between Parrish, Logan and Burnin' Joe Burnett we'll be set for return men.:wink02:

steeltheone
04-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Really don't need a 5'9'' wideout...I guess as a kick returner he still is worth a 4th rounder:tt03:

x7x24x
04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
You guys are way off on this one. I live in Buffalo and watch Roscoe a lot. This guy can return kicks and punts incredibly well. He can play WR better than most of you give him credit for. He's a slot guy. He's quick, he gets open. Buffalo isn't using him how they should be and he's still getting a few chances and making things happen. As for his off-field issues, he had a DUI and that's it. I'm not down playing the DUI. I know it's serious, but he hasn't been arrested multiple times. I don't know where any of this stuff about being a locker room cancer is coming from. I've never heard of this problem except for the people on this board. If we can get him for a 5th. let's do it. If they want a 4th, I'd still really consider it.

lilyoder6
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
i think he's a good player and all.. but i the lowest rd i would give up would be 5th

Fire Haley
04-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Can't you hicks read?

It's a hoax - see pg 2.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Parrish has a salary cap hit of $2.7 million this upcoming season.

The Bills would have to give us a 5th round pick and Parrish to unload that kind of $$ for a #4 WR.

Rek
04-20-2009, 08:31 PM
You would honestly rather have one of those guys returning kicks, and possibly killing our RB depth should one or both get hurt, instead of bringing in a game breaker like Parrish? Please explain, because IMO that makes absolutely no sense.

How long have we all complained about the Steelers not having a game-breaker at KR? Here they have a chance to trade for one, and some people object. It's not like they're giving up a 1st round pick for him - a 5th round pick more than likely is not going to make the team, and since they have extra picks to work with, why not make the deal?

The Steelers do not need a game-breaking KR kind of player, just someone who can securely hold onto the ball and get positive yards. It does not make sense to me to bring in someone who is only known for that element and nothing else. Use the picks to build depths, not trade away for a specialty player.

Need I bring up Allen Rossum? Fastest guy in the NFL, was supposed to be the best returner in the league, people loved it when they brought him in. Well, aside from one return for a TD, he was a bust. I think Moore or Mendenhall would be great as a KR-man, until they prove themselves as a number 2 RB.

X-Terminator
04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
The Steelers do not need a game-breaking KR kind of player, just someone who can securely hold onto the ball and get positive yards. It does not make sense to me to bring in someone who is only known for that element and nothing else. Use the picks to build depths, not trade away for a specialty player.

Need I bring up Allen Rossum? Fastest guy in the NFL, was supposed to be the best returner in the league, people loved it when they brought him in. Well, aside from one return for a TD, he was a bust. I think Moore or Mendenhall would be great as a KR-man, until they prove themselves as a number 2 RB.

Sorry, but Rossum is not and was not the fastest guy in the NFL at the time the Steelers got him. He was also not the best returner in the league at that time - Roscoe Parrish was. Secondly, I'd rather have a guy who can break one off at any time and consistently get good field position for the offense. Need I remind YOU of how many drives the Steelers started at their 20-25 yard line last season, or worse? What's better - starting at your 25 or at your 35-40, or better? That's what Parrish brings. We're talking about an element that the Steelers haven't had in years, one that could make them even more dangerous. And you don't want that?

Again, we're talking about ONE 5th round pick out of NINE total picks the Steelers have in the draft. They can build depth just fine with 8 other picks plus UDFA's while bringing in a proven commodity as a kick returner. I DO NOT want to see the Steelers' RB depth potentially hurt by either Moore or Mendenhall getting injured on a kick return. Same reason why nobody wants to see Santonio returning punts.

Rek
04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Allen Rossum:
(2008)
Kick Returns: 47
Return Yards: 1,259
Average yards per return: 26.8
Longest return: 104 yards, TD
TD's: 1
20+: 36
40+: 4

Mewelde Moore:
(2008)
Kick Returns: 10
Return Yards: 185
Average yards per return: 18.5
Longest return: 24
TD's: None
20+: 5
40+: None

Mendy and Carey Davis hardly faired better. Heck, Gary Russel was sadly our best kick return man with a 23.2 average on 16 returns. Based on this, i dont think we necessarily need a new return man, but we need to block a lot better on special teams. Allen Rossum wasnt a bust, he did ok for us at the least. And after landing with the 49ers he had his best season ever as a return man. So i think that says something. Memo, isnt a good kick returner, and he doesnt have a big history of returning kicks in his days in Minnesota. He was a pretty good punt returner for them though. But he hasnt flashed that here, so we probably just need to block better. But it probably wouldnt hurt to bring in a guy who can return kicks and punts and play receiver for us at the same time. Besides Logan.

I agree with most of what you said. To me, it makes absotuely no sense to bring in a guy that can only be used in one area, will be a wild card even at that, and will be gone probably in a year, two tops. We have the talent to return kicks, we don't need a specialty player like that. We are not Chicago or Denver. Get the ball to around the 30, don't turn it over and trust the offense.

It's easy to analyze and say how we have to excel at every single aspect of the team (i.e. get a cornerback that can pick and shut down, find a RB that can get 4th and 1 yards, etc.) Trust the guys you have.

Rek
04-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Sorry, but Rossum is not and was not the fastest guy in the NFL at the time the Steelers got him. He was also not the best returner in the league at that time - Roscoe Parrish was. Secondly, I'd rather have a guy who can break one off at any time and consistently get good field position for the offense. Need I remind YOU of how many drives the Steelers started at their 20-25 yard line last season, or worse? What's better - starting at your 25 or at your 35-40, or better? That's what Parrish brings. We're talking about an element that the Steelers haven't had in years, one that could make them even more dangerous. And you don't want that?

Again, we're talking about ONE 5th round pick out of NINE total picks the Steelers have in the draft. They can build depth just fine with 8 other picks plus UDFA's while bringing in a proven commodity as a kick returner. I DO NOT want to see the Steelers' RB depth potentially hurt by either Moore or Mendenhall getting injured on a kick return. Same reason why nobody wants to see Santonio returning punts.

I agree Rossum wasn't the fastest, I was just stating what the media was up-in-arms about, and how he was so great at returning kicks. Of course it would be better starting at the 40 yd line, hell I'd love it if the O was never on the field, but no guarantee Roscoe can deliver. Same with Mendy and Moore. My opinion is utilize the guys you have OR pick up a guy that can be used for more than a KR and that's it. Like Psycho said, it all starts with the blocking. You can have all the speed in the world but if the lanes aren't open, you're getting stuffed. (See Willie Parker).

stillers4me
04-21-2009, 06:53 AM
I was doing a litle research this morning and found this........

Roscoe Parrish
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roscoe Parrish Pittsburgh Steelers — No. --
Wide receiver / Punt returner
Date of birth: July 16, 1982 (1982-07-16) (age 26)
Place of birth: Miami, Florida
Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
Professional debut
2005 for the Buffalo Bills
Career history
College: University of Miami
NFL Draft: 2005 / Round: 2 / Pick: 55
Teams:

Buffalo Bills (2005-present)
Pittsburg Steelers (2009-present)

Career highlights and awards
Second-team All-ACC (2004)

Selected NFL statistics
(through Week 17 of the 2008 NFL season)
Receptions 97
Receiving yards 1,052
Total Return Yards 1,739
Total Touchdowns 9
Stats at NFL.com
Roscoe Parrish (born July 16, 1982 in Miami, Florida) is an American football wide receiver and punt returner who currently plays for the Pittsburg Steelers of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Bills in the second round (55th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Miami.

Pittsburgh Steelers
On Tuesday, April, 21st, 2009, the Pittsburgh Steelers traded for Parrish, the deal is for a undisclosed draft pick, the deal took place less then a week before the 2009 NFL draft. The trade was made in the early mourning hours. (ah-hem) :chuckle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Parrish

Rick5895
04-21-2009, 07:02 AM
If the Bills will accept a 5th then take him, otherwise we could draft Quan Cosby out of Texas with a 5th or 6th

Kaeg
04-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Well, it looks like it's done. I hope he does well, and I hope we only gave up a 5th.:chuckle:

lilyoder6
04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I was doing a litle research this morning and found this........

Roscoe Parrish
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roscoe Parrish Pittsburgh Steelers ó No. --
Wide receiver / Punt returner
Date of birth: July 16, 1982 (1982-07-16) (age 26)
Place of birth: Miami, Florida
Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
Professional debut
2005 for the Buffalo Bills
Career history
College: University of Miami
NFL Draft: 2005 / Round: 2 / Pick: 55
Teams:

Buffalo Bills (2005-present)
Pittsburg Steelers (2009-present)

Career highlights and awards
Second-team All-ACC (2004)

Selected NFL statistics
(through Week 17 of the 2008 NFL season)
Receptions 97
Receiving yards 1,052
Total Return Yards 1,739
Total Touchdowns 9
Stats at NFL.com
Roscoe Parrish (born July 16, 1982 in Miami, Florida) is an American football wide receiver and punt returner who currently plays for the Pittsburg Steelers of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Bills in the second round (55th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Miami.

Pittsburgh Steelers
On Tuesday, April, 21st, 2009, the Pittsburgh Steelers traded for Parrish, the deal is for a undisclosed draft pick, the deal took place less then a week before the 2009 NFL draft. The trade was made in the early mourning hours. (ah-hem) :chuckle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Parrish

god damn wiki

flasteeler
04-21-2009, 11:31 AM
That wikipedia article has been changed today after that was posted. It now has him still playing for the BIlls, not the Steelers. Anyone else hear or find anything on the web? .

lilyoder6
04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
i could go back to that wiki page and say he got traded to the steelers today.... lol