PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fullback Prospect Frank Summers

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I have been spending some time digging up information on some of the draft prospects that came in to visit and came across this article on FB Frank Summers...I thought it was interesting enough to share with my fellow draftniks.

Summers steals the show at UNLV Pro Day
Former Rebels RB runs, lifts and jumps his way toward potential draft spot
Ryan Greene
Fri, Mar 6, 2009

When Frank Summers recorded a vertical leap of 34.5 inches on Thursday afternoon, teammates and friends in attendance applauded.

When Frank Summers ran a 4.55 in the 40-yard dash, it wasn't just the scouts clicking stopwatches at the finish line. Also doing so were more than 20 current UNLV football players, checking with each other to see what time they clocked on their outstretched watches and cell phones.

When Frank Summers, winded from running routes on the field at Rebel Park moments earlier, put up 30 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press, the UNLV basketball players in the weight room took a break from their workouts and stood in awe, jaws dropped to their chests.

In the end, the former Rebels running back, now trying to make it to the NFL in any way possible, did exactly what he set out to do at UNLV's annual Pro Day.

"The scouts were here to see what I could do," the 5-foot-9, 240-pound bowling ball of a back said. "I treated this like a game situation. I got some good sleep last night, nice breakfast this morning. Anytime you're in a game, you compete and perform at your highest level always, play-in, play-out. And that's how I treated today."

Summers, along with several other graduating Rebels, underwent a litany of tests, with scouts from 12 NFL teams keeping tabs on all of it with stopwatches, pens and clipboards.

No one, though, put on a show like Summers did. He looked the part of a man ready for business, wearing a set of flashy black and silver adidas compression shorts, a shiny earring, a gold '4' medallion from his neck and a freshly-wound set of his signature braids on his head.

After suffering a knee injury in UNLV's season-ending loss at San Diego State on Nov. 22 in the game's opening series, he headed to Sarasota, Fla., where he's been training with Rich Lansky, owner and president of the Optimum Performance Training Institution.

The number of scouts on hand Thursday was a bump up from previous years, as was the number of current Rebels there to watch.

Summers was not invited to last month's NFL Combine in Indianapolis, and said he came in with a goal of topping the numbers posted by the 27 running backs invited to the event.

"I take any motivation possible, and that was obviously motivating," he said of the snub.

Several of those scouts made the trip to Rebel Park after Summers held an impressive week of practices leading up to the Texas vs. The Nation all-star game in El Paso on Jan. 31. In the game, he caught four passes for 55 yards and a 19-yard score, carried the ball once for 3 yards and also played on kickoff coverage.

"I think I pretty much let people know around the country that I'm a football player, no matter what happened last season with me, and I proved it out in Texas at the game," Summers said. "I can come in, take up three positions with one roster spot. I can play fullback, I can play tailback, obviously special teams, and I'm sure I can play defense if they need me there, too.

"That was my goal, to outdo the guys who went to the combine. I was able to see their numbers. I wasn't invited, so I came here to outdo them and I think I put myself in that category of the best of the best."

Summers' 4.55 time in the 40 was better than the times posted by 16 of the 23 backs who performed in Indianapolis. It should be noted, too, that those at the Combine had the luxury of running the event's signature test indoors, as opposed to the windy conditions Summers ran in Thursday.

His 34.5-inch vertical topped only three of the Combine participants, while his 9-foot, 5-inch broad jump was just a smidge shorter than all 10 of the distances marked off in Indy.

But where Summers blew everyone from the Combine away was on the bench press.

Summers had no time to rest after running a series of pass-catching drills on the field before wolfing down a banana -- for protein, of course -- and heading into the weight room. There, he hoisted 225 pounds 30 times, hardly struggling in the process. Of the 23 backs to lift in Indy, the highest total number of reps was 29.

Then again, Summers, is trying to make it into the league primarily as a fullback, compared to the backs at the Combine trying to get drafted as, well, running backs.

And if there's one team whose attention Summers caught more than anyone's as a fullback, it was the reigning Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, who had two scouts on-hand alongside running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

The Steelers' staffers in attendance, after all of the players' running tests were completed, held Summers behind on the field to have him run a series of cone drills and pass-catching sets.

They wanted to see first-hand the soft and sure mitts that hauled in 36 passes during Summers' two seasons as a Rebel, which were a nice supplement to his 1,668 rushing yards.

After his first grab, a pass to the flat, he turned, grunted and sprinted downfield.

Wilson told him upon returning to the formation that he didn't have to worry about finishing each route after the catch.

Summers paid it no mind, running at least 20 yards, full speed, following each snag. He caught every catchable ball thrown his way.

At one point, one scout said, under his breathe, 'He's a junior Bus', referring to sure-fire Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis, who helped carry the Steelers to a win in Super Bowl XL over Seattle in 2006 to cap his brilliant 13-year career.

That extra effort, combined with Summers' preparation and execution, earned him several handshakes from the scouts upon completing his bench reps.

Now, he'll stay mostly in Las Vegas, where he plans on watching the NFL Draft on April 25 and 26.

He said he'll drop everything to go work out for teams individually if such trips are requested between now and then. And on draft day, he'll hope for a phone call from anyone delivering some good news.

Certainly, an even louder buzz will set off around the league regarding Summers after the champs worked him out in front of 11 other franchises.

But there's no question the added attention from the Steelers perked him up.

"It gave me a lot of confidence that I'm doing something right and I'm on the right track," he said. "And hopefully I can pick up my phone on draft day and (Wilson) will be calling me."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/06/summers-steals-show-unlv-pro-day/

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
what sucks is that the steelers scout and draft so well, that when they show interrest in a player, 31 other teams ears perk up.

i believe this alone raises their stock and perhaps artifically inflates their graded value.

what do you think? to realistically have a shot at him would we have to trade a 7th to move up in the 6th?

what about the laron mcclain effect?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
what sucks is that the steelers scout and draft so well, that when they show interrest in a player, 31 other teams ears perk up.

30 teams Tony...dont forget that Arizona lets us draft them, then grabs them when we cut them later.

rbryan
04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
As long as we're nit picking........29 teams.

The Bunglers go out of thier way to draft the exact opposite of "Steeler type" players

Can't really fault Whiz, aside from the fact he knows the players already, he's also smart enough to realize the Stillers FO evaluates talent better than the Cards.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
As long as we're nit picking........29 teams.

The Bunglers go out of thier way to draft the exact opposite of "Steeler type" players

Can't really fault Whiz, aside from the fact he knows the players already, he's also smart enough to realize the Stillers FO evaluates talent better than the Cards.

I wonder if we can charge the Cardinals a "finders fee"?:noidea:

rbryan
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Probably not.......We'll just have to be satisfied with the fact that the best team the NFC could offer up last year was the "Jr Stillers"

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Tony, I was thinkning about this last week and am sure that if Summers is in the 7th round, some team is gonna take him before he gets to the Steelers.

He has to be a 6th round Steelers pick or will probably be gone somewhere else.

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Tony, I was thinkning about this last week and am sure that if Summers is in the 7th round, some team is gonna take him before he gets to the Steelers.

He has to be a 6th round Steelers pick or will probably be gone somewhere else.im working on my mock for this boards contest, and right now im gonna pencil him in with our 6th.

and actually since most teams know if we want him we will have to take him with our 6 it may bump his value up even higher, if another team wants him.

im thinking of a daniel sepulveda type scenario, where we target a guy we like, and dont think twice about trading a 7th or so and moving up a bit in the 6th to go get him.

in thinking about it, i checked the draft pick value chart, and it seems we could move up anywhere between 4-8 spots in the 6th by giving up one of our 7th's.

and it seems our 7th's would be about worthless in moving up in any other round. (pick 226 = 2.8 pts.)

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I dont think Frank Summers goes any higher than 6th. For the amount the Steelers use a FB, he is no big loss if somebody reaches for him.

Gotta see how my mock rolls out. I might want to look at Antonio Dixon with the 6th rounder and hope Summers falls to the 7th. At best, he ends up on the PS behind Moore, Parker, Mendenhall, and hopefully Logan, Powdrell.

Aussie_steeler
04-20-2009, 07:42 PM

He has to be a 6th round Steelers pick or will probably be gone somewhere else.

Our 6th round pick is as good as a 7th rounder. If we seriously want him it will have to be with the Faneca pick in the 5th.

Teams will be lining up in the back half of the 6th to grab him before us after having seen the amount of time he has spent with our RB staff.

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Our 6th round pick is as good as a 7th rounder. If we seriously want him it will have to be with the Faneca pick in the 5th.

Teams will be lining up in the back half of the 6th to grab him before us after having seen the amount of time he has spent with our RB staff.thats exactly what i was worried about which is why i looked into trading up in the 6th. im really kinda hoping tomlin lets arians know a player like this could serve a valuable spot on this roster (russell being cut).

draftnicks- since i really have no clue, how would you all rank summers with the likes of b. leonard, p. hillis, and l. mcclain?

is he higher regarded? lower regarded? deflated value because the fb position is becoming a dinosaur in the nfl? are we stuck with mchugh/davis and i should just give up on hopes of a true fb who can actually contribute more than the other 2?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2009, 01:40 AM
I dont know. The Steelers showed some interest in Doug Legursky at his Marshall pro day last year and he still went undrafted.

I think Summers is interesting in that he is small like Jones Drew, but much heavier and not as explosive. Almost a RB/FB Tweener that reminds me of a heavier version of Ray Rice. He isnt a pure blocker like Hillis, nor a big back like McLain, but has quicker feet than Leonard. I think he may be a guy that fits a hybrid role that Arians likes who can run, catch, block, but isnt the focus of an offense. A heavier Jameel White.

Here is some video on him. Judge for yourself. http://www.lasvegassun.com/videos/2009/jan/16/1457/

Galax Steeler
04-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Here is some video on him. Judge for yourself. http://www.lasvegassun.com/videos/2009/jan/16/1457/

Thanks for the vid.
He looks like he has some good balance on his feet and protects the ball well. He has that look to be a good FB in the nfl.

IamTheSteelGod
04-25-2009, 09:02 AM
I want a decent power back on our team.:helmet:

Cheppy
05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
It will be nice to see a low to the ground monster like Frank The Tank in the backfield on 3rd & short. Their short yardage game has to be better with him, right? Right..

Psyychoward86
05-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I know numbers arent all that, but after watching ONLY film of Frank Summers, i can honestly say, i was in awe. But looking at the numbers too.....:jawdrop:. I think i shat my pants a little. My favorite pick of the draft. Wouldnt be surprised if he was an instant contributor.

tony hipchest
05-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Teams will be lining up in the back half of the 6th to grab him before us after having seen the amount of time he has spent with our RB staff.

i must say, we got some pretty damn good draftnicks here on SF.

while a 5th round pick for summers may have been a reach for other teams, i regard it as an excellent and ballsy move by the steelers (even if it doesnt pan out).

its a classic case of "you see what you like, and you go out and get it."

Galax Steeler
05-14-2009, 05:05 AM
its a classic case of "you see what you like, and you go out and get it."

And we went out and got it.:sofunny:

revefsreleets
05-14-2009, 09:59 AM
He needs to make the final roster, first.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I think Summers will make the squad, but he will most likely take the spot of Gary Russell and be the #4 RB. Kirby Wilson said his FB's are Davis and Powdrell.

More likely he will be the #3 or short yardage back in 2010 after Parker leaves. Mendenhall will be the short yardage back this season I think.

tony hipchest
05-14-2009, 11:30 PM
i hate to think that parker has been made expendable, but that is the name of the game.

ultimately,i dont care if we get 2000 yds rushing from 1 back or 3, as long as we get 2000 yds rushing.

the cheapest way will always be the best, as far as the steelers long term success is concerned.

im thinking i will keep my avitar even if willie leaves.

MasterOfPuppets
05-14-2009, 11:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/okb5nm1TK-0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/okb5nm1TK-0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MasterOfPuppets
05-14-2009, 11:33 PM
dude definetly don't look for the sidelines or avoid contact

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IC1OFDMdMik&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IC1OFDMdMik&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

MasterOfPuppets
05-14-2009, 11:35 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mz2iGgUrQpI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mz2iGgUrQpI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

MasterOfPuppets
05-14-2009, 11:44 PM
this is actually mike wallace, but it was on the same page, so i'll put it here anyway...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gI10HFljUew&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gI10HFljUew&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cheppy
05-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I think Summers will make the squad, but he will most likely take the spot of Gary Russell and be the #4 RB. Kirby Wilson said his FB's are Davis and Powdrell.

More likely he will be the #3 or short yardage back in 2010 after Parker leaves. Mendenhall will be the short yardage back this season I think.

There's also Special Teams.

tony hipchest
05-15-2009, 07:08 PM
what is really impressive is the way he carries the ball is texbook.

look at the second and third highlight vids and check out the inside runs, both at the one minute mark. he always switches the ball away from the nearest defender. look how fast he makes the switch. you can barely see it. its like magic.

he always carries the ball in the outside arm closest to the sideline. he runs with it high and tight, almost always maintaining the 3 points of contact, and doesnt lose speed in doing so.

i gotta say, to try and make a fullback out of him would probably be a waste of talent.

i hate to be cliche, but dare i say, he looks like we could finally have the next...

JOHN KUHN! :jawdrop:

(seriously, some of those highlight runs definitely reminded me of a young jeromes style)

MasterOfPuppets
05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
i'd like to know what his weight actually is....he claims 243 himself, but i think he was listed at 230 at the combine.....maybe he lost weight to improve his 40 time....:noidea:

Psyychoward86
05-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Well.....at least looking at the film, we dont have to worry about his pad level :flap:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-16-2009, 12:01 PM
i'd like to know what his weight actually is....he claims 243 himself, but i think he was listed at 230 at the combine.....maybe he lost weight to improve his 40 time....:noidea:

He didnt get a combine invite as far as I know...but at his Pro Day on March 6th...he was officially weighed as 241 lbs.

The 230 lbs, is a number that was thrown around before the pro-day...and now has shown up on the Steelers roster. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
05-16-2009, 08:30 PM
He didnt get a combine invite as far as I know...but at his Pro Day on March 6th...he was officially weighed as 241 lbs.

The 230 lbs, is a number that was thrown around before the pro-day...and now has shown up on the Steelers roster. :noidea:thanks for the info LLT ......230lbs don't sound as impressive as 241, when your talking power back....but he doesn't look "thick" , like bettis did....i mean for 240 at 5-9, you'd think he'd have a gut like bettis....:noidea:

tony hipchest
05-16-2009, 08:47 PM
thanks for the info LLT ......230lbs don't sound as impressive as 241, when your talking power back....but he doesn't look "thick" , like bettis did....i mean for 240 at 5-9, you'd think he'd have a gut like bettis....:noidea:look at old footage of bettis in a rams jersey though.

i hate to wax poetic about summers but the similarities are striking. the way he holds the ball, the way he slithers through the hole w/o losing speed, and the way he takes on a pile head on is... well, i'll just stop there with the comparisson, because fot the most part i know its just wishful thinking.

can anyone say if the highlight vids are typical of his style, or just the best 10-15 plays he had in his entire college career? i never watched him. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
05-16-2009, 10:28 PM
look at old footage of bettis in a rams jersey though.

i hate to wax poetic about summers but the similarities are striking. the way he holds the ball, the way he slithers through the hole w/o losing speed, and the way he takes on a pile head on is... well, i'll just stop there with the comparisson, because fot the most part i know its just wishful thinking.

can anyone say if the highlight vids are typical of his style, or just the best 10-15 plays he had in his entire college career? i never watched him. :noidea:i agree with ya ya man....he definetly has them bettis qualities...i like how his feet keep moving after contact. i doubt ya get a name like tank over 15 carries.....did you catch the part where it said he had 48 carries in a jr college game ? .... i also agree with ya on moving him to fullback....4.5 speed and shifty ? he's the kinda guy you want to use to sit on a lead in the 4th...:thumbsup:

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-17-2009, 01:07 AM
look at old footage of bettis in a rams jersey though.

can anyone say if the highlight vids are typical of his style, or just the best 10-15 plays he had in his entire college career? i never watched him. :noidea:

Maybe we should lerk around UNLV Rebel fan sites and see if they got anything.

Psyychoward86
05-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Didnt Bettis run a 4.5, 40 yard dash as well?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Summers isnt gonna run away from anybody. He is really a shorter version of Fu that runs with a bit more wiggle. I like the pick and hope he pans out, but think he is a season away from being a real contributor.

lilyoder6
05-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Summers isnt gonna run away from anybody. He is really a shorter version of Fu that runs with a bit more wiggle. I like the pick and hope he pans out, but think he is a season away from being a real contributor.

i bet he will run away from the defensive line :flap:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2009, 12:03 AM
i bet he will run away from the defensive line :flap:

True, probably most of them, but I bet a guy like Jason Taylor, Osi Uminora or Trent Cole would run him down.

steelwall
05-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Man is there something other than youtube that has some highligts of Tank? China banded youtube a few months ago... I still have yet to see this kid run one time....

lilyoder6
05-25-2009, 12:22 AM
True, probably most of them, but I bet a guy like Jason Taylor, Osi Uminora or Trent Cole would run him down.

idk about jason taylor anymore.. the man is getting up in age, and he did have the calf issues last yr..

and u have to see how osi comes back from the knee injury.., could be slower

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Man is there something other than youtube that has some highligts of Tank? China banded youtube a few months ago... I still have yet to see this kid run one time....

Look at post #12 of this thread. There is a link to a LV Sun video on him. Maybe that works for you.

steelwall
05-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Look at post #12 of this thread. There is a link to a LV Sun video on him. Maybe that works for you.

Yep it worked Powerback??? He is that but, man this guy has got speed, and great footwork too. I love how he does not hesitate to hit a hole, looks like he makes the decision and goes for it.

Texasteel
05-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Yep it worked Powerback??? He is that but, man this guy has got speed, and great footwork too. I love how he does not hesitate to hit a hole, looks like he makes the decision and goes for it.

Did you notice him shifting the ball away from the tackler when he had the chance. I don't know how smart he is, but he knows how to run.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM

I am not as enamoured as many are here. I just think that the hilight tape is exactly that........hilights against college players. He is powerful and his being short will make it tougher to tackle him, but he runs a bit upright....Kirby Wilson can coach that out of him hopefully.

I dont see the Bettis comparisons as Bettis had better lateral quickness and was larger and more powerful when he was a rookie. I think I see more of a mini Duce Staley in Summers, as he seems to read a hole, hit it and secure the ball well. Also a good receiver like Staley. Ironically, I think he will start a lot of his career in sweats as opposed to how Duce ended his in sweats.

I think Summers is gonna be kind of a FU for a new generation of Steeler fans. :thumbsup:

steelwall
05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I am not as enamoured as many are here. I just think that the hilight tape is exactly that........hilights against college players. He is powerful and his being short will make it tougher to tackle him, but he runs a bit upright....Kirby Wilson can coach that out of him hopefully.

I dont see the Bettis comparisons as Bettis had better lateral quickness and was larger and more powerful when he was a rookie. I think I see more of a mini Duce Staley in Summers, as he seems to read a hole, hit it and secure the ball well. Also a good receiver like Staley. Ironically, I think he will start a lot of his career in sweats as opposed to how Duce ended his in sweats.

I think Summers is gonna be kind of a FU for a new generation of Steeler fans. :thumbsup:

I agree it is a highlight tape and they can be misleading,,,heck I could probably make a killer highlight tape of my highschool days, and even though Im bigger than some NFL players they'd still probably kill me.

But like texasteel said and some of the little things I noticed, like changing the ball away from the tackler, making good quick sharp cuts, great vision I like what I'm seeing as far as fundamentals.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-26-2009, 12:49 AM
I agree it is a highlight tape and they can be misleading,,,heck I could probably make a killer highlight tape of my highschool days, and even though Im bigger than some NFL players they'd still probably kill me.

But like texasteel said and some of the little things I noticed, like changing the ball away from the tackler, making good quick sharp cuts, great vision I like what I'm seeing as far as fundamentals.

Oh, I am wit you. I just temper my enthusiasm compared to most here that suddenly think he is the next Bettis.

Most of those fans/posters thought that Mendenhall was gonna gain 1400 yards last year and Sweed would catch 60 balls for 800 yards too. So, when I say that Summers is gonna wear sweatpants on gameday as the #4 RB, behind Parker, Mendenhall and Moore..............they all think I am down on Frank. :Banging:

I liked his measurables, attitude and tape before the draft. I think he was a good pickup, but just like most Steeler picks(especially a 5th rounder) I expect him to take a season or 2 before making a real contribution.

steelwall
05-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh, I am wit you. I just temper my enthusiasm compared to most here that suddenly think he is the next Bettis.

Most of those fans/posters thought that Mendenhall was gonna gain 1400 yards last year and Sweed would catch 60 balls for 800 yards too. So, when I say that Summers is gonna wear sweatpants on gameday as the #4 RB, behind Parker, Mendenhall and Moore..............they all think I am down on Frank. :Banging:

I liked his measurables, attitude and tape before the draft. I think he was a good pickup, but just like most Steeler picks(especially a 5th rounder) I expect him to take a season or 2 before making a real contribution.

Oh heck no Bettis is a HOFer no doubt the kid has to show something very special over a long period of time to be mentioned with the bus.

Preseason should show us alot this year, like I said befoe I don't know when I have ever been this hyped up about preseason.

On another note...he does kind of favor Bettis in the face.

The Duke
05-26-2009, 01:06 AM

which essentially means he is a bust before that happens :chuckle:

gotta say though, a future backfield of Mendenhall and summers ( and possible Memo?) sounds exciting :thumbsup:

steelwall
05-26-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement untill I see him lower his head and take on an NFL nose tackle...... But my gut tells me he is going to be that missing peice in short yardage.

Galax Steeler
05-27-2009, 05:15 AM
I'm going to reserve judgement untill I see him lower his head and take on an NFL nose tackle...... But my gut tells me he is going to be that missing peice in short yardage.

I hope and pray that he is going to be what we need at short yardage.

revefsreleets
05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
I think Summers is the real deal. He's fast, can move through the holes, see's the field well, and can run for power. I don't think the Steelers are going to ask him to do much more than pick up 1-3 yards at a time.

My BIGGEST concern is the same concern I share about all big backs (and, IMO, what made Bettis the greatest BIG back to ever play the game): Injuries. These big backs ALWAYS fight the injury bug. Always. If he can stay healthy, I think he can definitely improve and upgrade out short yardage/goaline O.

Texasteel
05-27-2009, 03:54 PM

I think I am more interested in seeing how well he can read a crease that will give him that extra yard or 2.

BozMan
05-27-2009, 11:55 PM
If Summers lives up to his billing, hopefully he will replace Carey Davis.

MasterOfPuppets
05-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers 2009 NFL 5th Round Pick Frank Summers Addresses The Media

Plainview_tiny by drinkyourmilkshake on Apr 27, 2009 9:32 PM EDT Comment 3 comments

Here is the link to the Audio File:

Also, after the jump is an excerpt of the transcription of his confrence call from Steelers.com.

Star-divide

Do you consider yourself a fullback or running back?

I consider myself a football player. Whatever the team needs me to do I think Iím able to do it. Whether itís blocking for someone behind me to get into the end zone or to carry it in myself or receiving it out of the backfield myself. As well as playing special teams Ė Iím very passionate about the game and I just love the contact and I love to win. Iíll do whatever it takes to win.

We understand youíre an exceptional pass receiver, can you talk about that?

Since I was younger my uncleís always played catch with me and taught me how to catch. Growing up and seeing some of the other running backs around the country Ė what gave them that extra edge and took them to the next level of being able to receive the ball. I like to consider myself a complete back and so one of those things you have to do to be a complete back is to receive the ball Ė so I work on catching the ball and after I catch I work on making players miss once I catch it.

How are you running down by the goal line?

I love touchdowns Ė thatís my favorite part of the game. Actually one of the reasons I played running back or fullback. Otherwise I probably would have been a linebacker.

We had a bus and now we have Frank the Tank. How did you get the nickname?

Actually my mother gave me that nickname when I was young. Iíve always been quite a little stocky guy and sheís been calling me that when I was little. Once I started playing the name kind of carried with me and has been with me ever since.

Did they tell you how they will use you?
They told me they were going to use me a little bit of both. As far as blocking, maybe some short yardage goal-line situations, as well as on special teams.

Are you 242 lbs.?
Yes.

Is that a good weight for you?
That is the perfect weight for me. I feel most comfortable at 240. I feel explosive and fast at 240.

Describe your running style.
I am a down-hill runner, but I do whatever I need to do to score a touchdown. Every time I touch the ball I try and score, so whether it is running around someone or running through them, I try to do it, get in the endzone.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/4/27/856745/pittsburgh-steelers-2009-nfl-5th

Psyychoward86
05-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Funny thing, that Summers considers himself a football player who will do whatever the team needs him to.

Read the Overview on this page: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/frank-summers?id=238445

Im sure he'll be more lenient with us.

MasterOfPuppets
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Funny thing, that Summers considers himself a football player who will do whatever the team needs him to.

Read the Overview on this page: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/frank-summers?id=238445

Im sure he'll be more lenient with us.
watch the video on post # 24

Psyychoward86
05-29-2009, 06:18 PM
watch the video on post # 24

Seen it. I under that he can block, run, and catch. What's your point?

MasterOfPuppets
05-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Seen it. I under that he can block, run, and catch. What's your point?
what was your point in directing eveybody to see this ?

A short, stumpy running back who might translate better to fullback if he'd been willing to block, Summers could struggle to find a role in the NFL.

this speaks in past tense like he WASN'T willing to block in college ..... where do they come up with this shit ? do they make it up just to have something to write ? who besides the douchebag that wrote this ever said he wasn't willing to block?

Psyychoward86
05-30-2009, 11:35 AM
what was your point in directing eveybody to see this ?

this speaks in past tense like he WASN'T willing to block in college ..... where do they come up with this shit ? do they make it up just to have something to write ? who besides the douchebag that wrote this ever said he wasn't willing to block?

Typo: i meant *understand, not under. You told me like 3 posts ago to look at the video. So i did O.o. Yeah i think it kinda is bs too that it says he might not be willing to block. College and the NFL are entirely different things.