PDA

View Full Version : First time coaching position

Hammer67
04-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I have been offered a coaching position with a private high school for Offensive Line.

I have never coached before and, actually, have a lot of catch up and remembering to do in fundamentals (thinking back to HS days!). Any coaches out there have any pointers or insight into the wonderful world of HS football coaching?

:helmet:

xfl2001fan
04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
If you have an opportunity to attend coaching clinics, take them.

Go back and read up on the fundamentals of line play. Without the fundamentals in place, your team will get trounced.

Find out what style of blocking your offensive philosophy is based around. If the HC wants Zone blocking, then you need to work that hard.

Lastly, get to know the players you are teaching. When you reach out to them, they respond much better. I'll try to scrounge up some links to some good sites for you in a little while.

KeiselPower99
04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Congrats, Coaching football is something I wanna do so bad.

Hammer67
04-20-2009, 09:23 PM
If you have an opportunity to attend coaching clinics, take them.

Go back and read up on the fundamentals of line play. Without the fundamentals in place, your team will get trounced.

Find out what style of blocking your offensive philosophy is based around. If the HC wants Zone blocking, then you need to work that hard.

Lastly, get to know the players you are teaching. When you reach out to them, they respond much better. I'll try to scrounge up some links to some good sites for you in a little while.

Appreciate the pointers. I am pretty solid on the fundamentals from an academic perspective...it's more remembering the nuances and experiences I had and conveying them. I am not too worried as the HC is my current boss and he is a coaching guru...another guy (who reports to me) is the OC (now that will be weird). Anyway, both have years of coaching experience at the HS level and are basically going to ease me in.

No zone blocking, all man. Straight up stuff. He is running basic Power I as the base O. He wants to work in a little Wishbone, too. I already have some drills in mind. I know he wants to start with basics and work up from there. I believe the program was in disarray when he was hired, so there is a lot of organizational stuff he has to do.

My goals are footwork improvement, mental aspects, basic blocking skills. Then, as the season progresses, he wants to work in option play and counters. So, we will have to teach pulling, (and trapping!!) which is a whole new level.

His program plan is impressive. Emphasizing effort, building off basics, respect for the game and coaching life lessons.

Hammer67
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Congrats, Coaching football is something I wanna do so bad.

Yeah, I haven't officially accepted it yet...I have that small level of self doubt as to whether or not I will be effective (not having experience coaching, and all) but I think this is a good opportunity to learn from experienced coaches who know where I am at coming in and are expecting to hold my hand, so to speak.

tony hipchest
04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I haven't officially accepted it yet...I have that small level of self doubt as to whether or not I will be effective (not having experience coaching, and all) but I think this is a good opportunity to learn from experienced coaches who know where I am at coming in and are expecting to hold my hand, so to speak.if its something you can embrace fully (and give it your all) as a hobby then by all means accept the position and let the chips fall where they may!

no need for self doubt (which is natural for anyone venturing into a new endeavor).

good luck. :thumbsup:

JEFF4i
04-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Sweet dude!

Good luck out there, I remember playing HS Football...we kinda sucked, :D

revefsreleets
04-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Good luck, dude! I was a QB, so no advice other than to make sure those widebodies know that the QB hates to get dirty:tt03:

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I haven't officially accepted it yet...I have that small level of self doubt as to whether or not I will be effective (not having experience coaching, and all) but I think this is a good opportunity to learn from experienced coaches who know where I am at coming in and are expecting to hold my hand, so to speak.

Dude, Officially Accept the Job or you're regret it.

Have fun, enjoy it and do your best. That's all it will take.

Hammer67
09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Just an update for those that care.

So we just started our season. We trounced the first team we played, 18-0. Solid blocking by my guys. I have 12 linemen on the squad for D and O line (10th grade - Seniors). Some never played before, although I have some raw talent (couple guys 6'2" + and over 250 lbs). My issue is speed and footwork so we have been working on drills stressing fundamentals. Proper stance, first steps, staying low. Mostly just drive blocking and basic pass blocking. Don't want to throw too much at these kids. We are bigger then most teams up front and have been DOMINTATING on D line.

For Offense, we are getting better but still need to work on quickness. We have the size.

So far, I have surprised myself on how fast I have picked things back up. I have their attention, the things I am conveying work when they actually apply them. I have them talking to me and to each other during games. And, most importantly to me, we are teaching sportsmanship. You play hard to the whistle, but offer your hand to help people up and don't talk smack.

It's a lot of fun, but a huge time commitment. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who works full time and has small children at home! At least it's only 8 weeks.

revefsreleets
09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
My advice? Blame the OC for any and all failure...

Seriously, congrats!

Shellshock
09-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Just make ure have enough water on the field or you will end up on the on the hot seat.