PDA

View Full Version : Steelers promise no Super Bowl letdown this time

mesaSteeler
04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuCsAcWumusxP_79Dn1b.WuT2bYF?slug=ap-steelersreturn&prov=ap&type=lgns

Steelers promise no Super Bowl letdown this time

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer 6 hours, 14 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Super Bowl champions don’t get much of an offseason.

Only 2 1/2 months after the Pittsburgh defeated the Arizona Cardinals for the franchise’s sixth NFL title, the Steelers—at least most of them—were back on the practice field Monday. Rain chased them indoors for the first of 14 organized team practices that run periodically through early June and are a supplement to next week’s mandatory, three-day minicamp.

After winning their second Super Bowl in four seasons, wide receiver Hines Ward said the Steelers don’t need to be pushed and prodded to return to practice.

Apparently not—All-Pro linebacker James Harrison was working out again only two days after the Steelers’ last-minute, 27-23 win over the Cardinals in Tampa. Wide receiver Limas Sweed was talked out of doing conditioning work later that same week, but he waited only two weeks before resuming his personal workouts.

The Steelers are being driven by two factors, according to Ward: 1) A determination not to repeat the major letdown of their post-Super Bowl 2006 season, when they started 2-6 and finished 8-8. 2) A desire to match the three Super Bowls won in recent history by New England, and perhaps even the four won by the Steelers of the 1970s.

“I know I want to win another one,” Ward said. “The teams in the 1970s, they won four. If we can win another one, then I think we’ll be right up there with New England as one of the teams in the dynasty.”

Nose tackle Casey Hampton believes one more Super Bowl victory would cause these Steelers to be remembered as one of the best teams in NFL history.

While they’ve changed coaches, from Bill Cowher to Mike Tomlin since winning the Super Bowl during the 2005 season, many of the key players (Ward, Hampton, Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Heath Miller, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Larry Foote, Deshea Townsend) are the same.

“Especially with the same core of guys, it’s kind of like the same team,” Hampton said. “We’re trying to catch the old Steelers, back in the day, see if we can get us four, see what that would be like.” :tt03:

Since the Steelers won four times during the 1974-79 seasons, and the 49ers won four from 1981-89 (plus a fifth in 1994), the only teams to win three Super Bowls are the Cowboys (1992-93, 1995) and the Patriots (2001, 2003-04).

Hampton said the Steelers got “lax … forgot how we got there” after winning three years ago, but Ward promised that won’t happen again.

“We’ve been through that. The veteran guys who were on that first Super Bowl we won a couple of years ago, we came back with a disappointing 8-8 year,” Ward said. “I think there’s a different mindset coming into this. We’ve got a lot of veteran guys mixed in with a lot of new, unproven guys who have to step up their game. And coach Tomlin, he won’t let us have a down year. His expectation levels are very high, and they should be.”

Intentionally or not, management is allowing a number of players—Ward, Hampton, Foote, Miller, Parker, Keisel, safety Ryan Clark and kicker Jeff Reed among them— to go into the final season of their contracts. Only All-Pro linebacker James Harrison, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and left guard Chris Kemoeatu have signed new contracts.

Some others could be re-signed by the end of training camp, but the franchise’s philosophy has long been that playing for a new contract isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

“We’re not going to get as complacent as we got the last time,” Hampton said.

The last time Ward was going into the last season of a contract, in 2005, he stayed out of training camp for two weeks before reporting. He signed a contract extension the week of the season opener.

Ward said he won’t stay out this time. One reason is he is only 220 yards away from reaching the 10,000-yard receiving mark, a number reached by only 31 players in NFL history.

“I don’t want to put on another uniform,” the 33-yard-old Ward said. “I’m too late in the game (his career) to worry about it. You look at all the previous players who went on and played in other places. I learned a lot from Jerome (Bettis), what he did. I want to go down in Steelers history to be one of the better wideouts to wear the black and gold.”

Among those missing Monday, some due to travel problems, were Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes, Polamalu, Parker, Clark, Foote, Timmons and safety Tyrone Carter. Ward did not practice because he is recovering from left rotator cuff surgery, but he was in uniform.

Working out were three players who missed all or most of last season, punter Daniel Sepulveda (knee) backup quarterback Charlie Batch (broken collarbone) and running back Rashard Mendenhall (shoulder).

Galax Steeler
04-21-2009, 04:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuCsAcWumusxP_79Dn1b.WuT2bYF?slug=ap-steelersreturn&prov=ap&type=lgns

Working out were three players who missed all or most of last season, punter Daniel Sepulveda (knee) backup quarterback Charlie Batch (broken collarbone) and running back Rashard Mendenhall (shoulder).

It is good to see these guys working out again hopefully they will make an impact this year.

siss
04-21-2009, 09:52 AM
It will also help if our franchise QB doesn't smash his face in.

The_WARDen
04-21-2009, 09:55 AM

he only had 1 appendix right? So, check that one off...

CanadianSteel
04-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Nice to hear these comments from Hines. Seems he is very serious about only playing for the Steelers.... Hope thats the case when it comes to $$ for his next contract

Steel Head
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Sepulveda better be ready to play this year

iceman000123
04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Glad to see the determination and dedication from Hines Ward. I definitely don't want a repeat of our last post-superbowl season.

lilyoder6
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
and i think tomlin has a different mindset than cowher did after the SB...

all i want 2 say is, Tomlin, don't put ur hand in a different cookie jar

steel_town
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
sounds like ward is going to take a pay cut and make for an easy contract. that can only help us signing the rest of the guys next season

KeiselPower99
04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Cowher wasnt in to it the year after the SB win. Tomlin knows he has to keep winning we as fans wont except anything but that.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Seriously...that and having his guts taken out in August when his apendix burst. Face plant into a car and organ surgery. But we still went 8-8, winning 6 out of the last 8 games.

Yeah, I feel it this year. I fear NO TEAM out there, we are the CHAMPS and I look foward to wearing the crown right into February of next year.

tucker6
04-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I love Hines Ward. A true throwback to a bygone era. :hatsoff:

steelers4life66
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
he only had 1 appendix right? So, check that one off...

:laughing:

SteelersinCA
04-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Seriously...that and having his guts taken out in August when his apendix burst. Face plant into a car and organ surgery. But we still went 8-8, winning 6 out of the last 8 games.

Yeah, I feel it this year. I fear NO TEAM out there, we are the CHAMPS and I look foward to wearing the crown right into February of next year.

Amen, Dino 7 rings!!!!!!

BubbyBrister
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Among those missing Monday, some due to travel problems...

lol...not that these workouts are mandatory, or even a really big deal (obviously, we prefer they show up), but seriously, what kind of travel problems can someone who could afford their own plane or helicopter if they needed to possibly have?

Edman
04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Glad to hear the Steelers players know they have the potential to be something more than just a one-time winner.

In 2006, Cowher's starving hunger was filled after 14 years of almosts and heartbreaking playoff failures. Tomlin is young, and want to make his lasting impression on Steeler fans.

Oh yeah, and our franchise QB won't smash his face on a windshield.

fansince'76
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Tomlin is young, and want to make his lasting impression on Steeler fans.

That, and I've noticed a number of fans still not giving Tomlin much, if any, credit for winning SB XLIII ("he inherited an already-strong team," "he stood by and let LeBeau win it for him," "he did it with 'Cowher's players,'" etc., etc.). He needs to win at least one more to shut up the doubters, it seems. Even then, I'm sure there will remain a contingent of fans who will always find fault and NEVER be pleased.

stlrtruck
04-21-2009, 03:17 PM
That, and I've noticed a number of fans still not giving Tomlin much, if any, credit for winning SB XLIII ("he inherited an already-strong team," "he stood by and let LeBeau win it for him," "he did it with 'Cowher's players,'" etc., etc.). He needs to win at least one more to shut up the doubters, it seems. Even then, I'm sure there will remain a contingent of fans who will always find fault and NEVER be pleased.

Had he of won it all the first year then I would have agreed with that statement (ala Jon Gruden in Tampa), but he brought something new in his second year. Thus, it was no longer Cowher's team.

beSteelmyheart
04-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Something tells me that Tomlin doesn't care about what the doubters think & so far that's been a good thing!:thumbsup:

Rek
04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Mendy to replace Moore. Spelvelly back to punt. Let's do this!

StainlessStill
04-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Mendy to replace Moore. Spelvelly back to punt. Let's do this!

Daniel S. is bigger than anyone thinks. His booming kicks can make the defense THAT MUCH BETTER considering field position, and how scary is that?

Steel Head
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Daniel S. is bigger than anyone thinks. His booming kicks can make the defense THAT MUCH BETTER considering field position, and how scary is that?

I'll believe it when i see it. His rookie year was subpar imo which culminated in him kicking his worst punt of the year to give Jacksonville good field position and eliminate us in the playoffs

Southern Steelers
04-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Thats one punt and he was a rookie, I'll bet Sepulveda is in the top 5 punters this year. If not I'm getting my jersey out and I'll punt, at least I'm better than Berger. And you better believe they can fit me under the cap.

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Thats one punt and he was a rookie, I'll bet Sepulveda is in the top 5 punters this year. If not I'm getting my jersey out and I'll punt, at least I'm better than Berger. And you better believe they can fit me under the cap.

No, it wasn't 1 punt. He was average at best all year

And dont give me the rookie excuse, he choked plain and simple

steelcurtain4392
04-22-2009, 08:48 AM
our team has progressed greatly throughout last season, but you have to remember Brady will be back and home field advantage will be harder to achieve than last year. Im a diehard PATS hater, but Brady is very good and very hard to beat. I was at the steelers - pats game in the regular season the year they went 16-0, and ever since i have hated the patriots with a passion. GO STEELERS

steelcurtain4392
04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
and i agree with steel head. Sepulveda needs to improve drastically to keep his starting job.

fansince'76
04-22-2009, 09:12 AM

He was in the top 8 in the NFL as far as pinning other teams inside the 20 and in the top 11 in the NFL in net average despite our punt coverage sucking and sucking badly in 2007.

and i agree with steel head. Sepulveda needs to improve drastically to keep his starting job.

Who do we have on the roster who's better? Or are we going to draft another punter? People went ballistic and called it a wasted pick when we drafted Sep. I find it hard to believe people are complaining about Sep after watching that season-long abortion we called a punting game last year.

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
He was in the top 8 in the NFL as far as pinning other teams inside the 20 and in the top 11 in the NFL in net average despite our punt coverage sucking and sucking badly in 2007.

He was good at kicking inside the 20, i'll give him that BUT Sepulveda averaged 42.4 yards per punt which ranked 18th in the NFL so he was actually slightly below average.

I expect more from him. Considering we traded up in the 4th round to get him and most of the punters better than him weren't even drafted is not good.

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 09:27 AM

Yeah, and he was kicking with a bad knee all season to boot.

What is it with Steelers fans expecting rookies to come in and be All-Pros their first season? :doh:

Edman
04-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Mike Tomlin didn't take over an "already-strong team", he took over an 8-8 team that got shut out twice and lost to their biggest division rivals to the combined score of 58-7. Lebeau was on board for 2006 as well, as well as the Home AFCC Failures against the *'s in 2004.

Steeler fans have such funny memories.

WWP
04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
“Especially with the same core of guys, it’s kind of like the same team,” Hampton said. “We’re trying to catch the old Steelers, back in the day, see if we can get us four, see what that would be like.”

Wow!!

That is an awesome line...

fansince'76
04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Mike Tomlin didn't take over an "already-strong team", he took over an 8-8 team that got shut out twice and lost to their biggest division rivals to the combined score of 58-7.

I agree - I was simply paraphrasing things I've heard and read about Tomlin in the wake of SB XLIII.

xfl2001fan
04-22-2009, 09:53 AM

I hate it when people try to use the "Rookie" excuse. Basic football fundamentals don't change, not matter which level you're at. There are times when you can make a "rookie mistake". (Didn't read the coverage correctly, ran the wrong route because the verbage on the Mike Martz play is confusing...fell for the Play Action and was out of position.)

However, holding, shanked punts, muffed punts, etc...those are inexcusable when you get to the "Professional" level of football. There are very few players in the NFL who have less than 8 years of experience (HS/College) when they arrive.

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
He was good at kicking inside the 20, i'll give him that BUT Sepulveda averaged 42.4 yards per punt which ranked 18th in the NFL so he was actually slightly below average.

I expect more from him. Considering we traded up in the 4th round to get him and most of the punters better than him weren't even drafted is not good.

What was his NET average? That, to me, is a more reliable stat than total average. Plus, when a punter has a lot of kicks downed inside the 20, more often than not those are short, pooch kicks, and that doesn't do much for his average. Considering that the offense was much better in 2007 than last year, and he was in the top 8 in punts downed inside the 20, then it's realistic to expect that he isn't going to have a very good average because he had to make a lot of short punts. If you look at some of the top punters in the league with high averages, they usually kick for horrible teams and offenses that can't move the ball, so they do a lot of kicking from deep in their territory. Sep is just fine and is certainly an immediate upgrade over the stiffs they had punting last year.

Steel Head
04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
What was his NET average?

His NET average was 38.4 yards per punt which ranked him 18th in the NFL

He did have 28 inside the 20 which was ranked 9th and was ranked 4th for percentage inside the 20. So exactly like I agreed to, he was good at pinning inside the 20 but his NET was below average.

Definitely a huge improvement over what we had last year so that's good but when he was drafted, I think we all hoped he would be 1 of the top punters in the league which he is not

thumper
04-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I think they are creating bad karma by talking 4 SBs, before they ever play a snap to pursue their 3rd. Bad stuff happens when you there

fansince'76
04-22-2009, 01:31 PM
His NET average was 38.4 yards per punt which ranked him 18th in the NFL

He did have 28 inside the 20 which was ranked 9th and was ranked 4th for percentage inside the 20. So exactly like I agreed to, he was good at pinning inside the 20 but his NET was below average.

No, his net average in 2007 was 37.9, which had him tied for 11th in the NFL in that category (8th if you take out the 3 punters with a measly 22 punts for the season between them). That's pretty impressive when considering how lousy our kick coverage in general was in 2007 - we were in danger of giving up a TD on any given punt (or kickoff return) that entire season. I found myself holding my breath every time we punted or kicked off in 2007 much the same way I found myself holding my breath before every kickoff and punt we were to receive in '06 in anticipation of another muff by Colclough or Reid.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Screenshot-26.jpg

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I think they are creating bad karma by talking 4 SBs, before they ever play a snap to pursue their 3rd. Bad stuff happens when you there

It ain't bad karma when they talk about WANTING to get there. It would be different if they said they were GOING to get there.

SteelMember
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
No, his net average in 2007 was 37.9, which had him tied for 11th in the NFL in that category (8th if you take out the 3 punters with a measly 22 punts for the season between them). That's pretty impressive when considering how lousy our kick coverage in general was in 2007 - we were in danger of giving up a TD on any given punt (or kickoff return) that entire season. I found myself holding my breath every time we punted or kicked off in 2007 much the same way I found myself holding my breath before every kickoff and punt we were to receive in '06 in anticipation of another muff by Colclough or Reid.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Screenshot-26.jpg

Hey, let's not muddy the water by posting statistical resources, it looks more impressive to come up with numbers off the top of your head. :wink02:

Kaeg
04-22-2009, 08:41 PM
I thought Sepulveda did admirably in his rookie year, (Do rookies have to go to the pro bowl in order to not be considered a bust?) and I remember clips of him hitting like a linebacker in college that I'm really looking forward to seeing this year.

X-Terminator
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I(Do rookies have to go to the pro bowl in order to not be considered a bust?).

According to the Nation - yes, they do. Troy was called a bust after his rookie season, Timmons was called a bust, Mendenhall is being called a bust, now D-Sep. To many in the Nation, you don't get time to develop and improve - you must be great from day one, or you suck. There is no middle ground.

Steelman16
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Ben sucked too. :rolleyes:

HometownGal
04-23-2009, 06:43 AM
What is it with Steelers fans expecting rookies to come in and be All-Pros their first season? :doh:

Don't you know XT - it's their God given right to find something - anything - to B & M about even when there is no legitimate reason to complain? :doh:

I'm not worried about Danny Boy. He did decently for a rook punter and I believe in this kid.

Boomerang
04-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Ben sucked too. :rolleyes:

HOW wrong were they:thumbsup: