View Full Version : Steelers DB Gay displays confidence

mesaSteeler
04-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Steelers DB Gay displays confidence
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_621519.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 21, 2009

William Gay can't sing a lick, but he wasn't afraid to display his vocal talents before an estimated 350,000 fans during the Steelers' Super Bowl XLIII victory parade.

"It was a fun time, my first Super Bowl. Coach (Mike Tomlin) gave me the mic; I (was) singing the song. A lot of joy came out of me," Gay said of his off-key rendition a few days after the Super Bowl win. "ESPN made a joke. I started laughing once I saw it. Every time I go back home, everybody's like, 'Here we go.' "

Supremely confident, Gay is attacking his new role as starting left cornerback with similar vigor.

Gay is eager to prove he's the best replacement for the departed Bryant McFadden.

"(There's) no more pressure the outside world can put on me than I put on myself. It's just now people are starting to notice: 'OK, William Gay might be starting,' " Gay said Monday, following the Steelers' first of 14 Organized Team Activities (OTAs). "I was playing with the first unit (last season), practicing with them. I pride myself in trying to be the best, and I want to continue to do that."

Gay moved up on the depth chart when McFadden signed with Arizona as a free agent. That, coupled with veteran Deshea Townsend becoming more entrenched as the nickel back, opened the door for Gay.

Two years ago, Gay was a little-known, fifth-round draft pick from Louisville. Now, he's on the verge of starting at cornerback for the defending Super Bowl champions.

"I'm not a starter yet. It's just penciled in. That's all a starter means, that I'm penciled in for the first game. Matter of fact, take it back just to the first preseason game," said Gay, who made four starts in 2008, when McFadden suffered a broken forearm.

"Just knowing the defense, going out there and playing with confidence. I think that's the biggest thing as a corner, just having a comfort level -- what we call a swagger."

Gay recorded 38 tackles and his first career interception last season. His reputation for always being around the ball was magnified when he tied for second on the team with 11 passes defended despite starting only a fraction of games.

Gay has appeared in all 32 regular-season contests since entering the NFL.

He has the confidence that comes from already appearing in a Super Bowl, lacking only significant playing time as a starter.

"I got (under) my belt the highest stage in the NFL. (There's) nothing else but the Super Bowl," Gay said. "I played against the best. Now, it's time to just continue to prove myself against the best."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Steelman16
04-21-2009, 12:26 AM
C'mon bud, get 'er done! :thumbsup:

paw-n-maul-u
04-21-2009, 04:08 AM
atter of fact, take it back just to the first preseason game,[/B]" said Gay, who made four starts in 2008, when McFadden suffered a broken forearm.

batta bing. That is the sign of a kid that isnt going to take anything for granted. He has the opportunity to make a name for himself, but at the same time is still humble enough to know that he hasn't really earned a thing yet except for a few scribbles of lead from a pencil ... and he also seems to know they are most definitely eraseable at any time.

I just hope he doesn't get discouraged if we take a corner on Day 1, which seriously is not a slight against him at all, because I really like the way he plays.

Galax Steeler
04-21-2009, 04:49 AM
I would like to see a good corner come out of this years draft. It would be a good time to start grooming him for the ageing Townsend and Taylor. Then we would have Gay who should be ready to go this year.

Blitzburgh_Fever
04-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I really think Gay will be good.

revefsreleets
04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
To have two starting CB's drafted in the 5th and 4th would really say something about the drafting prowess of the Steelers FO.

Sharkissle29
04-21-2009, 05:26 PM
i really hope we go after darius butler or alphonso smith in the first....plenty of talent to draft Oline later on

The Duke
04-22-2009, 01:36 AM
i really hope we go after darius butler or alphonso smith in the first....plenty of talent to draft Oline later on

I really hope they don't

like Gay and Ike show us, there is plenty of talents at CB in late rounds. linemen should be dratfed early. plus, neither smith nor butler is anything special.

Ike is a pro bowler, he should be at least. Gay is going to head that same path :tt03:

steelwall
04-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Gay had the fortune of spending a good deal of time with the 1st team. I'm really optimistic about him starting this year.

Galax Steeler
04-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Gay had the fortune of spending a good deal of time with the 1st team. I'm really optimistic about him starting this year.

I have a feeling that you are going to see alot more of him this year I think the kid can play.

Dynasty
04-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I have a feeling that you are going to see alot more of him this year I think the kid can play.

he clearly showed it this past season. always nice to see a guy like him, who was a low-ranked prospect, who nobody expected much from, do well.

KeiselPower99
04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
This guy is gonna be special for us. He has the swagger that a top CB should have.

SteelersMongol
04-22-2009, 11:30 PM
:thumbsup: This kid is making the word gay sounds way better when it's associated with the Steelers. :wink02:

BehindSteelCurtain
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I just don't like the way early round CB's turn out.

bigjamesharrison2
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Its time for Steelers Nation to go Gay! :bump: