PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers report: Colbert says anything possible come draft day

mesaSteeler
04-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers report: Colbert says anything possible come draft day
April 20, 9:59 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m4d20-Pittsburgh-Steelers-report-Colbert-says-anything-possible-come-draft-day
Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

PITTSBURGH - Monday marked the first time the Steelers had practiced together since the Super Bowl, and it was also a time where the team addressed the upcoming draft as both coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operation Kevin Colbert spoke to media.

Considering the Steelers have the 32nd pick, a lot could happen between the beginning of the draft and the time the Steelers select. Colbert admitted waiting that long is frustrating, but did not rule trying to trade up for a player if the team felt that it was in its best interest.

"Collectively, I think we have 26 guys identified at this point," Colbert said. "It may get to a point where we don’t want to wait, and we want to trade up. We will look at all those scenarios; we will talk to all of those teams ahead of time, get some parameters and just see where it goes."

Asked about the potential trade for wide receiver/return man Roscoe Parrish as first reported on Examiner.com Sunday night, Colbert said they are talking to teams, and ruled out nothing.

"Every year we are going to talk to every team. We will give them guys that we may have an excess on; they will give us guys. You just know who might be available, who wants to trade up and who wants to trade down," Colbert said about a possible trade for Parrish. “Would we trade up? Yes. Would we trade down? Yes. Nobody knows at this point. We have done both successfully. Where we will be on Saturday, nobody knows. We will talk to every team like we always do."

The Examiner was told late this afternoon by its source that the Detroit Lions are also talking to the Bills about a potential draft day deal for Parrish.

As expected, no player was singled out by either Tomlin or Colbert as being a subject of interest. In the past the team drafted for need, but since Colbert has been in charge, the philosophy has been to draft the best player available.

He did rule out a quarterback and said a first round running back was also probably out of the question, but that any other position with the 32nd pick was not out of the question.

Asked if height would be a deterrent, Tomlin said as long as he can play it is not a factor.

"There is no cookie cutter and I have always subscribed to that," Tomlin said. “Guys that can play can play. Guys that are short find ways to compensate that, if they are great players they do. Guys that are a step slow find a way to compensate for that, if they are great players. So I tend to lean on the tape."

Tomlin's take on what college prospect he liked was also not unexpected.

"I like everybody. I am a degenerate gambler," Tomlin said. "This guy has to talk me off the ledge. We will see what happens. I am impulsive by nature. He’s got a lot more patience than I do. I am going to detail my training camp schedule while we are waiting to pick 32nd."

Galax Steeler
04-21-2009, 04:32 AM
I just hope we don't get into a bidding war with Detroit for Parish. We just have to leave it up to Colbert and Tomlin to make the right decisons in this years draft.

stillers4me
04-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Is Parish really worth all this talk?

According to Wikipedia...yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Parrish

KeiselPower99
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
QB RB and LB are three postions that I dont see us taking with the first 3 picks this year.

Dino 6 Rings
04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
D Line. Watch for it.

DACEB
04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
D Line. Watch for it.

Who you got Dino?

steelreserve
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
QB RB and LB are three postions that I dont see us taking with the first 3 picks this year.

I bet you $5 we take a LB on the first day.

You should NEVER be surprised if the Steelers draft a linebacker early. There's pretty much a constant need for them. Even though we've got five good ones right now, we'll need two or three new guys soon. Foote's likely going to move on this year or next, leaving us with no depth, and Farrior and Harrison are getting old. If a guy like Lauranitis (who some drafts have falling to the end of 1st-mid 2nd round) is around when we pick, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we grabbed him.

Southern Steelers
04-22-2009, 12:26 AM
IF we draft Lauranitis while Mack is still available I'm trading in my terrible towel for a Browns helmet.

Neither of these things will EVER happen

Dynasty
04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
i feel like a lot of this is posturing... the FO obviously has guys they'd prefer to have, so i like that we're not giving anything away by getting into specifics.

parrish would be very nice, depending on asking price

steelreserve
04-23-2009, 02:10 AM
IF we draft Lauranitis while Mack is still available I'm trading in my terrible towel for a Browns helmet.

Neither of these things will EVER happen

Really, who the hell knows? Maybe we have our eyes on a different lineman. Maybe Hills is doing better than we thought. I wouldn't count anything out. Remember how surprised everyone was when we took a RB with our top pick last year?

revefsreleets
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
"There is no cookie cutter and I have always subscribed to that," Tomlin said. “Guys that can play can play. Guys that are short find ways to compensate that, if they are great players they do. Guys that are a step slow find a way to compensate for that, if they are great players. So I tend to lean on the tape."

Mike Jenkins? James Laurinaitis?

If we pass on Mack for Lil Animal, we just slide back a draft pick per round, pick Wood or Unger or Caldwell.

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Percy Harvin - come on down.

Go Gators!

revefsreleets
04-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Yuck.

I think I'm going to ressurect my conspiracy theory that we package Parker and picks move up and snag Malcolm Jenkins.

Fire Haley
04-23-2009, 10:07 PM
You are higher than a kite on the 4th of July, Fast Willie isn't going anywhere.

MDSteel15
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Percy Harvin - come on down.

Go Gators!

Hell no! We got enough dope smokers on the team....